What's new
Frozen In Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern WI: Singapore strikes oil?

Accelerator

Author
So a... question. I’m kinda annoyed by the fact that my country has no oil available to it. No resources, either. Not much stuff.

So a question. Let’s say by accident, a field of oil is discovered, off the coast, several kilometres away. On the level of Saudi Arabia. The Singapore government knows this first, during 1995, and has 5 years until it reaches the public. So what happens?

A/N: I wish there was an alt-history section.

t-dugong

Beach bum, Esq.
Good for Singapore, but be prepared for some nasty fights over which country owned what part of the oil field. Though where are you guys going to build the refinery to process the crude?

bluepencil

Indentured Artist
Author
They would be worse off than the current. Oil revenue has a way of papering over social discontent and takes focus away from healthily diversified high value manufacturing and banking. Also they would need to import more labor.

Jakarta

Cutest Mod
So a question. Let’s say by accident, a field of oil is discovered, off the coast, several kilometres away. On the level of Saudi Arabia. The Singapore government knows this first, during 1995, and has 5 years until it reaches the public. So what happens?
YOOOOOOOOOO WTF?

ON THE LEVEL OF SAUDI ARABIA? Like, as many barrels as Saudi Arabia pumps back then levels?

And you think Singapore's an overpowered state for It's size already, a Singapore with oil reserves on that level? oh boy will the US ally that country so fast. So freaking fast I tell you, LKY can literally demand whatever concession he wants and the US will give it to them.

Oh, and Indonesia and Malaysia will be very, very interested in making SG's territorial waters just a little bit smaller. Since an SG, with LKY on the helm, and with oil reserves of that size would be too much for our comfort. Both for Soeharto and Mahathir I think.

Top Bottom