What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did brit geeks and their prophets go anti-thatcher and esp toss that on the US?

Darmani

It's pretty consistent that anything that's got some long-running history and popular amongst at least American Geeks that comes from Britain often has a sort of anti Society bias. With a very deliberate Assumption of what's wrong with them. Whether that's John Constantine Judge Dredd and arguably Warhammer 40K at least how it started out. So really I'm just wondering why it is that almost every media that Scott history that long and even some current ones feel the need to go anti-thatcher and somehow mix that up towards satirizing the United States

It's pretty consistent that anything that's got some long-running history and popular amongst at least American Geeks that comes from Britain often has a sort of anti Society bias. With a very deliberate Assumption of what's wrong with them. Whether that's John Constantine Judge Dredd and arguably Warhammer 40K at least how it started out. So really I'm just wondering why it is that almost every media that Scott history that long and even some current ones feel the need to go anti-thatcher and somehow mix that up towards satirizing the United States

Punctuation, please. The topic is intriguing but I can't understand what you're saying until my second readthrough.

Sorry, man. Not dissing on you but please use punctuation.

The US is the slowly imploding Empire that we all see crashiing down in slow-motion, à la Roman Empire. Thatcher's legacy is of a de-industrialized country which finalized its shift from the biggest Empire of the planet to an infamously dependent country whose population and political class embarass themselves with their delusions about the glorious past, à la Greece during said Roman Empire. The fall from grace has been a major artistic theme for millenia. It's the theme of life and death, of tragedies, of the inescapability of fate, of the great brought to humility because of their own actions.

1. Please get a proof reader/editor. I'm not sure if English is your first language but that was legitimately hard to parse in some places due to what looked like either speech to text fuckery or autocorrect interacting with a translator.

2. Thatcher is taught in US Schools as being British!Female!Reagan, so she's looked on as a Supply Side/Trickle Down Republican, with all the hate that gets from the generations who got screwed by it. Additionally, Irish Republicanism (unrelated to the normal US version of that word) has a good deal of support here, both from expats and their descendents and from "Founding Father Fanboys"who love anyone rebelling against the British Empire and Thatcher fucked up her handling of that mess in a rather spectacular fashion, handing MAJOR PR victories to the IRA.

People believe what they are told especially if it sounds appealing to their existing preconceptions and prejudices. Research is hard as is keeping an objective mind, so there's a drive to just hate what everyone else hates and praise what everyone else praises. Maggie was sometimes bloody awful and sometimes bloody excellent, some hate her for the bad stuff and downplay the good stuff, others vice versa. Pretty much the same for every major historic figure you can think of.

It's pretty consistent that anything that's got some long-running history and ppopularity amongst at least American Geeks that comes from Britain often has a sort of anti Society bias. Along with a very deliberate Assumption of what's wrong with the authority . Whether that's John Constantine hellblazer, Judge Dredd, and arguably Warhammer 40K -at least how it started out. So really I'm just wondering why it is that almost every media that's got history that long and even some current ones feel the need to go anti-thatcher and somehow mix that up towards satirizing the United States
[]

I did in fact mention that. To Americans, Thatcher is Rule63 Reagan, so it's taken as attacking his policies here.

I did in fact mention that. To Americans, Thatcher is Rule63 Reagan, so it's taken as attacking his policies here.
But why do the Brits keep associating everything they hate about Thatcher with everything they hate about the United States. I just it completely confuses

But why do the Brits keep associating everything they hate about Thatcher with everything they hate about the United States. I just it completely confuses
Tory "privatize everything" "fuck the poor" is a very American (Republican) thing. We are the only industrialized nation without an NHS equivalent for example.

why did comic artists and musicians care then?

Because art has historically involved a heavy dose of politics.

Also most artists aren't exactly rich or financially stable.

Also all the examples given in the first post are works that don't have to be concerned with civility or decency, and removing constrains in works targeted at an adult audience is going to enable political satire, especially if said satire can done allegorically as in Doctor Who's Happines Patrol, Warhammer 40k and Judge Dread.

When any politician like Thatcher or Trump gets into power, the left start screaming that they're destroying the country. This is because the left SJWs are psychopathic, they are power hungry and they don't care if the country falls apart as long as they can control people with identity politics (see Venezuela). When even a moderate politician like Trump gets in it's always "he's racist, he's bigoted and he's destroying the country" even when the economy has never been stronger under him then Obama could ever have even comprehended.

When any politician like Thatcher or Trump gets into power, the left start screaming that they're destroying the country. This is because the left SJWs are psychopathic, they are power hungry and they don't care if the country falls apart as long as they can control people with identity politics (see Venezuela). When even a moderate politician like Trump gets in it's always "he's racist, he's bigoted and he's destroying the country" even when the economy has never been stronger under him then Obama could ever have even comprehended.
munches popcorn

Oh please do go on.

I'm glad to know the crap some liberal professors told you is fact in your opinion.
Ooh are you one of those "we've had ebough of experts" fellows too?

When any politician like Thatcher or Trump gets into power, the left start screaming that they're destroying the country.

So the early authors of Judge Dread, Warhammer 40k and John Constantine were SJWs? Despite existing long before intersectionality became a major concern or reflection such ideals in their work.

This is because the left SJWs are psychopathic, they are power hungry and they don't care if the country falls apart as long as they can control people with identity politics (see Venezuela).

You do realise social and economic policy are different political axis? And that the government of Venezuela doesn't use identity politics, except in the sense of nationalism that is something conservatives view as a virtuous way to control people.

On topic to the thread, most comic writers are no what I'd define as the above. For example, is Alan Moore a "power hungry sjw psychopath who doesn't care if the country falls apart as long he can control people"? Can you actual define what SJW means and how it applies to nineties comic writers? Because while Alan More is a leftist I've never heard been accused of being an SJW before.

When even a moderate politician like Trump gets in it's always "he's racist, he's bigoted and he's destroying the country" even when the economy has never been stronger under him then Obama could ever have even comprehended.

This is off topic, but getting elected by promising no latin american or middle eastern immigration and vowing to build a border wall that will cost a massive fortune to construct might have given this impression. Going against political consensus and tradition is not the usual definition of "moderate". And his trade wars, government shutdown and tax cuts are not seen as successful economic policy. And mention Obama is a bad argument so most the economic growth he's taking credit for is a continuation of economics trends that took place during the Obama administration.

"Moderate Politicians" don't threaten to default on their countries national debt or shutdown the government to build a border wall. A border wall which would be then of the largest most expensive building program ever undertaken in human history.

We need to kill the confusion between leftist and liberal. It actually bugs me when a conservative calls a leftist a liberal. I can't tell if this is because leftist ideas get trotted out by people who call themselves liberals, or if conservatives haven't figured out that the battle has evolved since the 90s.

Perhaps it's just confusion with the left and left wing. Poor language in politics perhaps?

Conservatives have spent too long turning liberal into a slur. They've invested a lot into it.

4/10, decent troll. I expect more effort from you.

Back
Top Bottom