What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your most controversial or unpopular opinions?

Shadows are really just another version of us being transmitted from an Earth where the axial tilt is slightly different. Prove me wrong.

As a Liberal, I see simply surviving another day is a victory itself, because we won't have that in the world where the Left or the Right-wing is victorious.
So, do you see the constant tug-of-war between "Right and Left" as essential to civilization, in some fashion?

So, do you see the constant tug-of-war between "Right and Left" as essential to civilization, in some fashion?
To a degree, yes.

But what I meant was that we Liberals don't really have a place where either side has won. The alternative is far more dangerous than the enemy, after all.

Can you elaborate? You have me curious, now.

For the right or the left, the other side is the enemy. Threatening, yes, but once contained, can also be a useful boogeyman in enforcing unity and loyalty through the fear of the other.

We Liberals, on the other hand, are the alternative. We are worse because we are a competitor to their followings, and can replace them as an ideology. So they see us as threats to be eliminated, not contained or opposed.

In my opinion, to be a Liberal is to be the warrior in the eternal crusade. We can believe neither in utopia nor in an easy solution, but we must march on regardless. We must harden our hearts, for our enemies are numberless and remorseless, always wearing new faces, wielding new ideologies, and bring new horrors.

Well an (apparently) unpopular opinion I now have here (for some fucking reason) is that SB mods shouldn't be able to come onto this goddamned fucking wesbtie and fucking (albeit very poorly) SPY on us... basically the entire fucking reason I've essentially stopped coming here.

Eclipse Phase: A lot more people would have liked the Anarchists and New Economy if the PHS 1) put more explanations and works on how they function and 2) didn't near-explicitly favor them.

EDIT: It would have been also better if they didn't even bother to pretend that there is post-scarcity.

Last edited:
This political climate has made me realize that Heinlein might of been on to something when he wrote Starship Troopers.
It is part of the reason that the Roman Republic lasted as long as it did, with the soldiers literally sitting on the next hill to get civil rights and liberties.

Eclipse Phase: A lot more people would have liked the Anarchists and New Economy if the PHS 1) put more explanations and works on how they function and 2) didn't near-explicitly favor them.

EDIT: It would have been also better if they didn't even bother to pretend that there is post-scarcity.
Seriously, I think the most problems stem from the fact that Posthuman Studio stopped treating EP as a game and more as a political tract*.

*Of Anarchism Stronk variety, considering that AnCap Extropia is still treated as part of Good Guys Club, if a bit problematic. Guess Randroids are still better than filthy statists.

Back
Top Bottom