What's new
Frozen In Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the implications of the invention of strong general A.I.?

Accelerator

Author
You can speak to it, and you can talk back to it. It is intelligent, capable of differentiating between a bee, a 3, and a submarine. It is human, in as much as cognition capacities and analysis dictates. It is capable of massive multitasking and absorbs information and knowledge at a phenomenal speed

Scenario 1: The world is peaceful, and the computer begins to talk and try and make things better
Scenario 2: Russia gets it. And puts it to work .

beast_regards

Nothing happens for a while.
AI can be many things, but it is not reality-warping magic most scenarios make it be, and the invention doesn't work as in comic books.

Scottty

I suspect that they are still a long way from building an AI that has as even much intuitive understanding of the real world as 10 year-old human child does.

Alcibiades

I suspect that they are still a long way from building an AI that has as even much intuitive understanding of the real world as 10 year-old human child does.
Replace "10-year-old human child" with "frog" and you're closer to the truth, I think.

This is the same scenario as "we have a genie in a bottle" or "we can talk to the gods." There's nothing science-ish about it other than window dressing.

Alcibiades

OK, be that as it may. Let's say that we can make machines that are cognitively indistinguishable from human beings.

We already have those; they're called "people." What advantage does this give us over the 7 billion people we already have?

Accelerator

Author
OK, be that as it may. Let's say that we can make machines that are cognitively indistinguishable from human beings.

We already have those; they're called "people." What advantage does this give us over the 7 billion people we already have?
1. It doesn't suffer from things like exhaustion, lack of concentration, distraction, needing to rest or relax, or things like 'asking for off time'.
2. It's cognitively indistinguishable... but also thinks faster than others. Circuits are faster than neurons. Thus, although its body may not seem to do anything, it may actually be hammering out plans, designs, and other shit, which would normally take months on the drawing board and spitting it out at a dozens a minute.
3. It's got far more multitasking ability. Which means you can have a personalized facet of the A.I. talking to each person.

Accelerator

Author
Hold up, wouldn't it still be prone to stuff like distraction or lack of concentration if cognitively human?
When I said cognitively human, it means that it won't do shit like be a paperclip maximiser, and be able to understand human emotions, feelings, and idiosyncrasies. That means we aren't getting an artificial intelligence that's alien to us.

Friendly Boi

Friendly B.O.W. to some.
When I said cognitively human, it means that it won't do shit like be a paperclip maximiser, and be able to understand human emotions, feelings, and idiosyncrasies. That means we aren't getting an artificial intelligence that's alien to us.
I got the implications.
But getting distracted and wanting time for yourself are fairly common stuff among humans, why should said AI be an exception if it thinks and behaves like us?

beast_regards

I got the implications.
But getting distracted and wanting time for yourself are fairly common stuff among humans, why should said AI be an exception if it thinks and behaves like us?
This thought experiment operates under the assumption you can somehow code human-like personality traits and behavior patterns without an issue.
IRL, you can't do it, at least as far as our understanding of computers goes, but the premise of this scenario says you can. Somehow.
So if you can do it, it makes sense to program only a positive traits and leave out the negative.
It still doesn't explain why would AI have reality warping powers and/or turn into Reed Richards.

Top Bottom