What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under this blue planet (Original fiction)

Jakarta

Cutest Mod
My eyes glazed over the computer as I was just finished writing the report. My eyes are baggy and tired, and constant yawns accompanied my weary face as I typed on the computer just what happened last week.

God this is tiring.

"So with that in mind, the issues of land ownership between the Elven people and the local Kalapuya native tribe in Lincoln County was resolved for the time being. With the signing of the Newport MOU, it is now up to the Oregon State Government in Salem to deliver on the agreement, as per governor Kate Brown's promise to make good on any agreement between the Elven people and the Kalapuya tribe. The Bureau will continue monitoring activities to ensure that there are no more flareups between the Elves and the Kalapuya. A Native American deity will also be placed as a temporary liaison within the region."

The blinking cursor over the period is incredibly tempting. I scrolled upwards, scanning the document for one last time, it seems that most of the work is finished, the assessment of the problem has been written, what I did was written, and the conclusion of the event was also written. There is only one last thing, one last thing that I must do.

"P.S. Eve, if you are reading this, thanks for this assignment, I really had fun doing some nonlethal work for once. I have something you might be interested in once I come back to Philly."

Aaaand there, all finished. I clicked submit, and the report is sent. I shut down the computer, walked outside the office floor, and straight into the elevator. It is quite late, I checked my watch at the time, and only sighed when it says 10:30 PM. 4 hours after the end of shift, whatever. Just a day's work for me I guess.

I entered the elevator, and my hand hovered over the P button, was there something that I missed? something that I didn't missed? it was the longest 2 minutes of my life, but nonetheless, I pressed it, and the feeling of slowly falling overtook me.

I reached the floor, walking towards a now empty car lot, well mostly empty anyways, there is a car waiting for me with someone right besides it. A man wearing a black blindfold and corresponding black clothing.
dbjm9xq-8277f4fa-e271-47ce-9645-fde3f980ae24.png

It appears Eve have sent an android to pick me up.

"Hello Agent Veronika." The man greeted, "the director herself dispatched me to bring you back to Philadelphia, it appears that you are-"

"4 hours late, I know. Listen, I'm really tired right now, and I don't want to use my powers to make myself not tired again. So uhh, can you drive me to the airport? the faster I get to reach Eve's plane and sleep in that comfy... hmmm, comfy bed, the better."

"Of course Agent Veronika, just step into the car and we will be on our way."

I turned my weary head towards the car, and... yep, that's typical of her. Very typical.
592d63f979474ccf008b4f7d-1136-852.jpg

"We're using the executive transport car? really?"

"Yes, the director has made some special arrangements for your expedited return to Philadelphia. And the roads in Portland this time of year is quite empty. Expect a hopefully fast trip to the airport, and a 7 hour flight back to Philadelphia."

I smiled at the android and stepped into the passenger seat, I wouldn't trust myself to drive the car, especially with the condition I am in, I quickly leaned the seat back and crashed immediately. As I close my eyes, letting my body rest as the android drove the car through the interstate, those ribbons of concrete that ties this weird city together. The roar of the car's engine was somehow soothing for me, It's as if I'm slowly going back home, back to her.

Back to Eve.

We eventually arrived at the airport. And everything was a blur from that point on.

I didn't remember much of what happened after that, I remember the soft bed at the private jet, a woman waking me up and driving me towards my home, and then more sleep after that.

It was only after I woke up that I realized who the presence near my bedroom is. Firstly, it was only a hazy blob of brown and black, but as my eyes adjusted itself, I realized that a good friend of mine, well, less of a friend and more of a second mother, was sitting on my study desk.

Apparently taking care of my belongings by the looks of it.

"I know that you are quite the heavy sleeper Veronika, but I didn't gather you to be someone that would sleep for 2 whole days straight. I guess the task I gave you really did bring out everything within you." I heard her say. I only smiled as I look right towards her. Ah, Eve. Wonderful!

And of course, just as I'd expected, she's wearing those same skimpy clothing I always see her in.
9BDYYeo.jpg

"Good morning Eve."

"You mean good afternoon." She quickly corrected. "I've made some lunch downstairs, the traditional way."

"What is it? more falafels and kebabs? no thanks, not interested in Israeli food."

"Well, I did make some Shakshuka, but that is just for myself. I actually made your favourite."

I blinked my eyes, staring at her, she never cooked anything from Eastern Europe. What in the world is she talking about?

"What? you mean Borscht? c'mon! you wouldn't do that, next you're going to tell me that you also made Kholodets and Stroganoff as well!"

Silence.

Wait.

"Wait, did you..."

"I cooked Solyanka and Some Beef Stroganoff with pasta as well." She responded, her face unchanging as I slowly widened my eyes and opened my mouth.

I immediately went downstairs and looked at the table, my eyes watering as I saw the food she cooked, she actually did it! what in the world possessed her to make Stroganoff and Solyanka?!? my face was still a mix of happiness, shock, and incredulity as Eve went past me and invited me to the table.

"C'mon, the soup will get cold." She said. "I don't think the woman who solved what has been a land use issue since the 1980s would want to eat cold Stroganoff, now would she?"

Eve said that as she started eating the Shakshuka with her usual stony, mostly unemotional face, that same face that is betrayed by the arrangements of flavours that is in front of her.

I only smiled at her as I started eating the food she made. Ah, Solyanka... I feel like my energy is coming back again. I wonder what the day has to offer me after my breakfast with her, hopefully nothing too crazy. But hey, this is Eve we're talking about, so anything goes.

So this is a bit of a collaborative writing project myself and @TheBlueHour have been talking about for quite some time. It's actually a story based off of an original setting RP we made quite a few months (years?) back, this opening chapter is made wholly by myself. And I will try my damndest to finish this story if It's the last thing I'll do.

"So..." Eve, the world's first sinner "Said between bites of food. "What really happened back there." Veronika suddenly stopped, going completely still with a bite of stroganoff halfway to her mouth.

"Huh?"

"You slept for two days, a full 48 hours. No one should have been that tired after only a series of negotiations that's... even I'm not really sure what that means." The first woman shrugged and Veronika gave a nervous laugh.

"No." Veronika said, "I've got nothing to report that I didn't put in the uh... report." Eve gave Veronika a suspicious look. Veronika noticed that Eve's cup was empty so she raised her hand and there was a flash of black light as it instantly refilled.

"Veronika... you know that you're legally required to say everything of importance right?" Veronika nodded.

"And you know that I know that you know that I have nothing to worry about as I already said everything and told you everything." Eve raised her hand and seemed about to say something, only to suddenly lower it again.

"Um... er..."

"You both know..." Veronika and Eve both turned to the left to see Thoth standing in the doorway holding an electronic tablet in his left hand. "With all due respect I can't be the only one who finds it weird how much time you two spend alone with each other. You are married after all Mrs. Director." Eve and Veronika stared at Thoth in silence for several seconds.

"Do you even have a key to my house?" Eve asked. Thoth shook his head

"No ma'am I do not."

"I'm straight." Veronika said. She wasn't sure about Eve though.

"Now." Thoth said "I imagine you two are wondering why I'm here."

"We are."

"Well, me and the rest of the Bureau's science division have a massive update."

"How massive?"

"We found Quetzalcoatl."

Several Thousand Light-Years away:

Quetzalcoatl took a swig of alien alcohol from a violet-glass mug. It was so acidic that it ripped the lining of his throat to bloody ribbons as it went down, but his divine body healed almost instantly.

"And that's why I'm no longer allowed in the Triangulum Galaxy." The aliens crowding around him broke out into a chorus of cheers and laughs that made him feel like his ears were being violently raped. Quetzalcoatl couldn't help but smile. He put his hand to the side and something with at least five bulbous heads poured him some more alcohol. He took a long swig and then began another tale.

"So, I had just arrived in the vicinity of the Frog Star when..." At the other side of the extraterrestrial bar, Quetzalcoatl suddenly caught sight of Slenderman jump up from his seat at one of the bars many elliptical tables. Slenderman spun around and turned towards one of the doors which flung open as a three legged, three armed robot stepped inside. The bar became deathly silent as soon as the machine entered, a black sky over a rocky grey landscape could briefly be seen beyond the door before it closed automatically behind it. Slenderman materialized next to Quetzalcoatl.

"That's a Twin Queens robot." Quetzalcoatl muttered to him. Slenderman nodded and reached for his plasma gun. The robot though simply walked forward, apparently unaware of the looks it was getting from almost everything in the bar. Or from everything that had eyes, Quetzalcoatl included, at least. Quetzalcoatl saw a hairy eyeball with tentacles and mosquito like mouth parts crawling under a table. On the roof crawled a horrific red bush with thorns as long as Quetzalcoatl's hands. It watched the robot with over two dozen pill-shaped eyes and was poised as if it was ready to pounce at any second. Next to Quetzalcoatl, something with four pincered arms drew a disintegrator rifle as the robot confidently strode forward paying no heed to the horde of extraterrestrials that were crowding in on all sides. Another door opened and a humanoid woman walked in, but when she saw the Twin Queens robot she jumped back and broke apart into a horde of tarantula-headed gorillas that hastily escaped through an a nearby air vent. Quetzalcoatl reached for his own plasma weapon but didn't draw it yet as he wasn't sure if the robot was hostile or not yet. When it reached the center of the room, the robot stopped walking and began gently rocking back and forth.

"Hello," it said "Is Quetzalcoatl here. I have an important message for him from the Twin Queens Empire." No one said anything.

Okay, now @Jakarta will be doing the next update to this story.

"I see." Eve replied, eating another bite of the Shakshuka. "Whatever, just let him do his thing. It doesn't matter, as long as he gets the 4 Horsemen back, then that's all that matters."

"I... are you sure about this?" Thoth asked. "He seems to be acting rather uhh, wildly if the reports are to be believed."

"It's not like we can send a separate task force to take him back now can we?" Eve asked back. "That would mean retrofitting a couple Bureau spaceships, outfitting them with gods and crewmen, and then send them into a probably thousand lightyear journey throughout the galaxy. It's not feasible, and Quetzalcoatl, based on his record, does have a... unique way of completing missions. His methods are unusual, but they are effective."

Thoth seemed to hesitate for a bit. Before I then saw Eve pat Thoth in the shoulder. "Relax man. It will be alright. Everything will be alright." And that seemed to relax him for a little bit, I see his facial features softening as he nodded his head to the director.

"Fine, you are the director ever since the 80s, so I should trust that you know what you're doing. Anyway, I gotta go, I have some business in Germany to attend to." He said, before he disappeared in a flash of black clouds surrounding him.

"So what was that about?" I asked Eve. Both the Stroganoff and Solyanka now finished. "What's his 'business' in Germany anyway?"

"Probably managing some of his IT companies or something." Eve replied. "He invested a couple million dollars in some German based Fintech startup, and It's not doing as well as he thought it would be, now he's gotta work to make sure the startup's making money."

"Ah, I see." I replied, and I cannot help but smile a little bit, these deities, god, I don't know what to make of them still, they are lovely people, and they do fight for everyone's betterment, but I do feel a sense of smug satisfaction whenever something that they plan doesn't go as planned. I remember the time when I was visiting Eve's house, and her face when she opened the door was quite something, a sense of nervousness around her and paranoia. I asked what's wrong, and she wouldn't tell me.

And reminiscing that memory apparently got Eve's attention. She politely coughed and I was taken back to reality. "Are you... reminiscing about the time where I cannot find my sword? and apparently Adam somehow left Yearning in Israel?"

I only smiled, with a grin that's enough to make the world's first mother shook her head and blush a little bit. "Fucking Adam." She quietly whispered. "Always, always forgetting to pick up items after we left vacation. Ugh, why am I still married to him."

After that comment from her I bursted into laughter, a laughter that was not met in kind, I only saw Eve stare at me with tired eyes and shaking her head all the way. "I'm. I'm sorry Eve." I said to her. "You entering a divorce settlement with Adam. The thought of that is just. HAH! How, how would that even freaking work?!?"

"Incredibly painfully. That's for sure. I don't even know how we are going to separate assets stretched tens of thousands of years together. I wouldn't even know how those tablets I have under my house would even be divided, and who's going to own that tree?"

"Anyway. Do you have anything else you want to talk about Veronika? outside of anything making me embarrassed?"

"Well, yes actually. I do have a little bit of a problem." I declared. "And it involves a little community north of Philadelphia."

"A little community? what are you talking about?"

It was a rather short drive, but we eventually reached a small park, It's a rather beautiful park, with a large lake in the middle and a couple of fairies flying around, mingling with the few Humans and Nonhumans. I guided Eve towards a small section of the park, and I showed her the problem.

"You see that?" I pointed towards it.

"Ah, I see." She said, looking at the thing standing in front of her.
e6a67d8945bddd39f71756fbdb6dce2b.png

There is a Griffon that has been busy sleeping in front of my front porch. The front porch of my other house in upstate Pennsylvania. I mean, I did consider killing him once, but ugh, not in the mood to kill innocent animals really. It's not my thing anymore.

"Griffons on their own are rare, but a Griffon in Northern Pennsylvania. Hmmm... maybe I can get some people from Themyscera to handle this." She thought. "Normally, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Griffons usually are a rather passive bunch if you left them alone. They'll just fly off and search for prey in other areas really."

"Yeah but. Eve, the Griffon's been here ever since I left for Oregon. It's like he thinks my house can be a sort of nest or something."

"Oh...."

Eve then saw the various signs of Griffon nests, the reeds circling the house, the baby Griffons all looking at the deity and the superhero, and the Griffon's mana reserves slowly increasing as it sleeps.

"Well this is a problem."

Last edited:
"So... Anything you can do about it Eve?"

"Well..." Eve considered it. "Animals aren't really my specialty. I'm the God of Humans after all."

"Humans are animals." I pointed out. Eve rolled her eyes.

"But I'll see what I can do..." The demigod took a few steps towards the griffon and held out her hand. "Hey their little gu..." The griffon jumped up with a loud screech and swatted at her with a massive paw. Eve instinctively jumped back and summoned her sword, Yearning, to her hand. The blade glowed with a tricolored light making the griffon almost glow in an eerie way.

"No." she said shaking her head "That won't work."

"You're no... you know what." I said "I'll do it. Take... take a step back please." I closed my hand and black light appeared around me in a sphere wide enough to cover both Eve and myself. That was my superpower. The term they used was 'reality warping', I could generate a bubble of black light and inside of it I could do anything.

... Okay, not literally anything of course. But enough, I took a cautious step towards the griffon while raising my hand in a (hopefully) reassuring way. The griffon was having none of it though and seemed spooked by my black light. It gave a hiss and reared up on its hind legs. I heard the flapping of wings and a second griffon flew down. It nuzzled the first griffon affectionately before turning to face me as well. By that point the park was starting to become mostly empty as most of the other people there had started to flee when the first griffon turned hostile. I stared up at the creatures which did nothing but snarl and poise themselves to pounce. They didn't scare me, I had seen far worse in my life, but their beaks and claws did look extremely sharp. I hesitated.

"You need help, Veronika?" Eve asked with a bright, cheery smile plastered to her face.

"No... Just... uh... give me a second." I braced myself and took a few steady steps towards the griffons. The shrieked and lunged at me, their beaks gaping wide. When they touched the edge of my bubble, there was a flash of black and the two griffons collapsed to the ground, unconscious. I stopped dead in my tracks. It had been... that easy.

"Nice work!" Eve suddenly said giving a few claps. "We should celebrate by going out to dinner.'

"We're always getting stuff to eat." I said "Let's see a movie instead, or better yet go home and nap so we can be well rested for work tomorrow." Eve sighed and shook her head.

"You're no fun. Fine, I think I know where a theater is." Eve made a call over her cellphone and several minutes later a few Bureau androids came by and picked up the unconscious griffons before carefully placing them in a heavily armored vehicle and whisking them away to parts unknown. I was curious where they were going and decided to check on them in a little while. In the mean time we went back to my car and hopped inside.

"So..." I had noticed that while Eve had seen happy when I stopped the griffons, otherwise she had seemed unusually quiet and withdrawn that day. Eve said nothing and I coughed a few times. "About that stuff you were saying about Adam..." Eve said nothing in response to that. I noticed something near her eye. Was she crying? Shit. If she really did break up with Adam that would... it would...

I had precisely zero idea what it could possibly mean.

"Just... Remember..." I said "No matter what happens... uh... I.... um..." That somehow seemed to have worked because Eve gave a faint smile.

Deep Space:

"Well..." Indigo, one of the Twin Queens Empire's robots said "That could have gone better." He and his allied robots were standing on top of a 0.7 kilometer deep pit of corpses. The stench of death and burnt chitin flooded the air though Indigo couldn't tell due to lacking a sense of smell. Another of the robots, Crimson, nodded as he carefully made his way over the piles and piles of pentalaterally symmetrical corpses.

"'Tis a shame really, but we did try to get them to join." Indigo nodded as Violet, who was covered from head to toe in dark blue blood, walked up behind them. "We wouldn't have had to kill them all if they hadn't attacked first."

"These creatures are different then the ones who were here last time we patrolled the system." Silver noted as he examined one of the dead creatures. "The last time we were here they were more mollusk-like."

"That was 140 million years ago." Crimson said "Plenty of time for a new species to evolve and develop a new civilization after we destroyed the old one." Violet nodded, it was easy to lose track of such things after nearly 200 million years of service to the almighty Twin Queens Empire. Even with the aid of a near-flawless mechanical mind. Nearby a pyramidal stack of corpses collapsed tossing tentacled bodies into the air and splattering the Twin Queens robots with more dark blue gore.

"We should probably get going." Crimson muttered. The deaths made him feel some remorse, but as a Twin Queens robot he was completely loyal to the Twin Queens, the two Eldritch Abominations who had jointly ruled the most powerful empire in the universe for the past three billion years. They had, in their infinite benevolence, had designed all Empire machines to be mentally incapable of turning against them. It made Crimson feel much better to think about how the Queens cared about their servants enough to make it impossible for them to ever leave the Empire.

The other robots nodded and started walking their way across the field of bodies towards a jellyfish shaped starship that floated in the air. It's side split open to reveal an entrance way and the three machines squeezed their way inside. As soon as they entered, Indigo instantly became aware of the next planet they were heading towards as the information was automatically downloaded into his mind...

Deeper Space:

Quetzalcoatl reached into his coat and pulled out a wicked looking stone knife. He twisted it around in his hand for a few seconds before turning it around and pointing it at the blank white space that made up Slenderman's 'face'. Slenderman recoiled from the knife and nearly jumped out of his seat.

"If things go south can I use you as a sacrifice to gain enough power to escape back to earth?" Quetzalcoatl asked. Slenderman shook his head.

"Come on, one of us needs to make it back alive." Slenderman just shrugged.

All Twin Queen Robots are male... well... as male as a bio-mechanical nightmare with no genitals can be.

No prize for guessing where they next planet their going to is.

"Don't worry too much Veronika. I am not breaking up with my husband, not now not ever. Your comments about Adam just reminded me of the times whenever I fight with him." She said, seemingly feeling nostalgic for some reason.

Wait, what?

"Wait, Eve, when you mention fight. What do you exactly mean?" I asked. Just the thought of it brings shivers to my body, see, I have fought, well, sparred against deities before, in this world and back in my own, and this world's deities are. God, how in the world are they that powerful?!? they can just take punishment after punishment from my bubbles and STILL they would keep going. I am a freaking reality warper, okay, limited reality warper and even I have a hard time winning against them, much less killing them altogether.

"Exactly what you are thinking, fight. My raw mana reserves against Adam's literal Millennia of mage studies and training, we often fought about the direction of humanity, the righteousness of our cause, sometimes even airing out our grievances against each other. Don't worry, we generally keep our fights contained, usually at empty valleys, vast deserts, even at remote mountain ranges at ages past. Now we just fight at the combat training facility in Dugway, It's a good workout at the very least of it. Maintains the relationship we have towards each other as well."

I only looked at Eve with a blank stare. What she just said... well, it isn't the craziest thing the deities have done, considering mythology and everything.

"I found a movie theatre." She said, showing me the location with her smartphone. Shows only blockbuster movies, but. Well, It's the only ones available. It's... oh."

"What is it?" I asked, looking at her smartphone screen, and oh... now I understand. "Well, that is quite awkward."

"A rewatching of a documentary about the bureau, you sure you want to go there Eve? I can just take you to see the sights around Philly if you want. It's not that long of a drive to the city anyway."

"No no, let's watch it, perhaps even a Q&A session about current Bureau affairs are in order, the people really need to know about our current plans and everything." Eve said, now nodding to my head as I drove the car to the theatre. This is going to be interesting no matter what, Eve doing a Q&A session after a movie watching, wild isn't even going to cover it.
"Wow, you handled it like a champ!"

We walked back to my car and once we got in, I only hugged Eve. We were quite surprised to see that the audience was filled with Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, essentially a lot more Fae folk than expected. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that Eve must have a harder time handling the more technical questions the fae folk asks. Questions about Bureau management, ratios of fae to non fae folk within the organisation, policies regarding 'awakened' and 'sleeping' deities, typical Bureau organisation stuff.

Heck, there are some things that I learned during that Q&A session, like the amount of deities speculated to still be dormant, and awaiting to be awakened in the event of something happening. Didn't expect the Bureau to have a program tailored for that.

"Eve, I have a question. You mentioned something about a program to ensure assimilation for 'awakened' deities right? what exactly is that?"

"Well. It's exactly what it sounds like. I'm pretty sure you know your fair share of legends telling about deities sleeping somewhere, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, there are several deities that are still sleeping up to this day. Waiting for the day their lands are in danger or something, It's just a plan to assimilate them to modern day culture, that's it. It will probably involve deities from the area they originate from, like a Celtic deity taking care of awakened Celtic gods or goddesses, things like that."

"Hmmm, why have I never heard about that? I've been in the Bureau for quite some time at this point, and I've never heard about that."

"Well, The program is rarely used honestly, Earth is just too peaceful after the turmoil of the 1980s and 1990s. There is that plan by Satan, but we hunted him down and imprisoned him after that debacle in 2010. So It's yeah, almost 25 years of uninterrupted peace since the new millennium."

I only nodded as we drove back to Philadelphia, It's now almost 5 PM, and it feels more like a slow vacation day with Eve if nothing else, I must be honest. It feels really great experiencing these slow days, we get to hang out with Eve, learn more about her, and have fun together. Slow days are a rare commodity for agents these days, and whenever I do get some time off, I do try my best to relax and lie down for a while. Days like these are precious after all.

A couple hours of driving later, and we finally arrived at Eve's house. I hugged Eve, thanking her for the generally great time we have together, and she smiled back at me.

"Hey, Eve. I kinda want to tell you this. I have been meaning to tell you this for a long time, but I never got the chance."

"Oh? pray tell, what is it? is there something important that you-"

"Nonono! It's nothing serious. Just... thank you, thank you for helping me get out of that path of becoming a supervillain, I know it sounds all cheesy now, but I was in a really bad place back then, and your counsel during my time there, and during my new life here has been... great. It helped me become a new person."

"Oh, It's nothing. I try my best to help my children who are having severe problems, I just so happen to found you at the right place at the right time. But, yeah, I like having you as my... friend? daughter? a third daughter I guess."

"Yeah, your third daughter, after Cain and Abel." I replied, with Eve only laughing a bit, probably thinking about the thought of being a mother again.

"Well, It's nice having you with me Veronika. But... wait."

"What is it Eve?"

Eve's face turned serious for a while, her eyebrows narrowed as she turned her head towards me. Her face is a bit more serious now, with her unusual smile now turning back into her neutrally fierce posture.

"Are you interested in sparring with me? pretty sure the Philadelphia office still has the gym open. What do you say?"

Back
Top Bottom