What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncle Rubick's Russian military media and news thread.

Rubick

Novosibirsk Aviation Plant is building 3 more prototypes of Okhotnik-B heavy UAVs. With the third and fourth prototype corresponding closer to the "serial production version". With flight tests planned for 2022-2023 period.

Seems the rumors were true and MoD really wants this toy.

Anyway

Just a nice picture.
AFha6UU.jpg

Rubick, welcome! Good to see you here, and good to have this kind of thread.

Baltic Fleet naval aviation doing refueling practices above Kaliningrad Oblast.

ESBpcupn6ew.jpg

h-I-0-KLMd-KZo.jpg

sm33-Qe2i6-TY.jpg

y2-Y-Rx-XX0co.jpg

Gg-X-JRok0l-I.jpg

Lxx-iq-Is0.jpg

VQ44n-AAcc-EA.jpg

Anyway

A short video of a refueling exercise at the training grounds in the Sverdlovsk being carried out by servicemen of the fuel and lubricants service and logistics units of the Central Military District using a LPG tank truck camouflaged as a grain carrier.

A short video of a refueling exercise at the training grounds in the Sverdlovsk being carried out by servicemen of the fuel and lubricants service and logistics units of the Central Military District using a LPG tank truck camouflaged as a grain carrier.
The command post at the side of the road - nice maskirovka, I didn't see it the first time I watched the video.

A bit of sad news - Admiral Lazarev, the second Orlan cruiser, is definitely about to be scrapped, starting this year. With the older Kirov being long beyond repair that leaves just Pyotr Velikiy and Admiral Nakhimov from the originally built 4 cruisers.
The intention to scrap Lazarev and Kirov has been announced some time ago, but I kind of still hoped that after Nakhimov passes state trials, they just take his upgrade project, put all 3 remaining Orlans into the large Sevmash dock, and go at them. Would be awesome.

A nice video of the youngest Orlan, Pyotr Velikiy, in Kronstadt:

Some photos from the Almaz-Antey factory in St Petersburg.

The MoD has signed a contract for the first "pilot" batch of Altius strike drones.

About fucking time.

First Russian warship ever to enter Port Sudan is the Admiral Grigorovich - anchored in the photo below. Russia and Sudan have recently signed an agreement about creating a resupply point for Russian warships in Port Sudan (the photo isn't from the resupply point, it doesn't exist yet).

10affcd1-3cb7-4a82-b8b5-b9e08a3acbde_16x9_1200x676.jpg

Warspot generally has tons of good articles on WWII in English.

Something, that currently caught my eye is the American and British evaluation of KV-1.

It's odd that Americans actually understood back then why the Soviets did certain things the way they did. Something they completely failed to do during the cold war when evaluating Soviet equipment..

Anyway

Il-76 taking off from snow-covered unpaved strip in the Ivanovo region as part of the exercise.

Oh and new NI flag and emblem art that was approved by the MoD.

Q70Dx3k.jpg

I frankly dislike it. And I'm not sure the NI will want to adopt it. They have a history of being very traditional. And from what i recall countless times resisted majore changes to their uniforms for one.

Edit

For whoever is interested. Tank archive has a article on 1976 comparative trials conducted with T-62, T-72, T-64 and T-80 Soviet MBT's.

Last edited:
Warspot generally has tons of good articles on WWII in English.

Something, that currently caught my eye is the American and British evaluation of KV-1.

It's odd that Americans actually understood back then why the Soviets did certain things the way they did. Something they completely failed to do during the cold war when evaluating Soviet equipment..

Well. Maybe the Americans were too influenced by the Germans who were busy emulating in many ways, including doctrine. I don't think the Germans fully understood what the Soviets were doing either.

It could well be. Americans apparently couldn't understand at one point why Soviets turbine blades had drilled holes in them. Which does frankly indicate German level of retardation or said author making shit up. But then again. There is the American field manual on the Soviet organization troops and equipment. Which is also face palm inducing especially the equipment bit and it's so called limitations. The last bit could be explained simply by psychology. A feel good Blanket for the average grunt.
At least I'd hope that was the intention.

But anyway

Tula Airborne Forces practicing with their Nona's.

The latest Russian carrier of nuclear ballistic missiles Bulava, the nuclear submarine K-549 Knyaz Vladimir (Prince Vladimir) of the class Borei-A (project 955-A). Unlike her older sisters which used hull sections from older unbuilt Akulas (project 971 Shchuka-B), Knyaz Vladimir has been built from scratch, with the hull intended for Bulavas from the start. That makes her the first Russian or Soviet ballistic missile submarine without a hump and a very elegant ship.
All the Boreis so far have been named after rulers of old Rus, future submarines will be also named after important statesmen, military leaders and czars.

Egg4-yrUMAIg4xd.jpg

THere was a youtube video that went on about how one of the pumps she used started being noisy after a year. I don't know how true though. Could be shit-taking.

She is a pretty boat and a very streamlined one unlike most Russian SSBNs.

THere was a youtube video that went on about how one of the pumps she used started being noisy after a year. I don't know how true though. Could be shit-taking.
I remember it, the whole idea was "when it was new it was extremely silent, but then one of the pumps started to make noise." I know how they make those pumps (and the rest of the reactor) and I very much doubt that it could have a defect leading to it demasking the submarine. If it did, it would be a major scandal in the fleet, and I haven't seen anything about it in Russian forums. Therefore I lean towards it being a fake. The problem with the new Boreis, especially the last Borei-A subclass, and also with the Yasen-M (Kazan is just finishing trials) is that they are extremely silent. Russian sources (not some patriotic journals but senior designers from Malakhit) say that they are more silent than the Virginias, and that is a problem.

I remember it, the whole idea was "when it was new it was extremely silent, but then one of the pumps started to make noise." I know how they make those pumps (and the rest of the reactor) and I very much doubt that it could have a defect leading to it demasking the submarine. If it did, it would be a major scandal in the fleet, and I haven't seen anything about it in Russian forums. Therefore I lean towards it being a fake. The problem with the new Boreis, especially the last Borei-A subclass, and also with the Yasen-M (Kazan is just finishing trials) is that they are extremely silent. Russian sources (not some patriotic journals but senior designers from Malakhit) say that they are more silent than the Virginias, and that is a problem.
Yeah, considering how excessively critical some Russian posters are....

I think you mean Solarion, this guy I mentioned here.
Yep, Jive Turkey, now the channel is called "Sub Brief" IIRC. I mean, I like his enthusiasm for making money off shitty reporting, but that's it. I can perfectly believe that he was a sonar operator in past life, but even with my limited knowledge of RuNavy I can safely say that he's not a source to be used in that area. In his reality Bulavas are ejected from tubes by ejection pumps, project 955 had a code name "Yuri Dolgorukiy" back in the 1970's and 1980's...
Anyway, this is the video segment where he talks about the pump. There's a snowflake's chance in hell that this is actual intel on a new Russian SSBN model. Considering the 'quality' of the whole video, it's clear he's bullshitting, and since his videos are aimed at clueless fanboys, I understand why he dares to do so. The last sentence of the segment on acoustic vulnerabilities of 955 kind of betrays his mode of thinking. Don't worry guys, it's new, but it's shit anyway. It's nothing unexpected, considering that I've seen on this very forum, where there are 1.5 American military fanboys, a guy explaining with iron certainty that Russian nuclear missiles are all rusty and mostly don't work... :ROFLMAO:

Forget about youtubers. What really gets me is that Office of Naval Intelligence ( ONI ) "obtained" Yasen class noise level long before it hit the water let alone was even complete never mind went thru several big changes throughout it's build.

Anyway,

kommersant has a short summery into an ongoing investigation and what might be pretty massive and damaging case in terms of fraud involving Azart R-187-P1 tactical radio com set. Which might have been made in China. The radio set BTW has been criticized by the men in armed forces for not living up to the spec. From what I recall.

But anyway the case Involves former high ranking Ministry of Defense heads like Major General Alexander Ogloblin who has already been previously charged with corruption. and Colonel-General Arslanov along with Yaroslavl Radio Plant with JSC Angstrem which does R&D and manufacturer of integrated circuits.

Folks at JSC Angstrem are calling the case bollocks and say that software, bulk of the components are Russian and the CPU of Russian design. If they can back that up they might be able to get away with it. As at the time the radio set was being designed "import substitution" wasn't an icky thing as it is this days.

Anyway.

NcAm964.jpg

e0Sidde.jpg

3HlBqAZ.jpg

EaIl4mR.jpg

jIw6iAc.jpg

4cKojrM.jpg

yTytDHp.jpg

Last edited:
Colonel-General Arslanov ? He has been persona non grata since January 21, 2020 and been having a long vacation prior to that. Officially he hasn't held his position since April 2020.

As at the time the radio set was being designed "import substitution" wasn't an icky thing as it is this days.
What do you mean by icky thing?

Back
Top Bottom