What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultramarines (40k) vs USIF Armored Infantry (Section 8)

Steel10

Due to the actions of a ROB, 100 Ultramarines from 40k and 100 Armored Infantry from Section 8 are displaced in a desert and soon decide to kill one another.

Mindset: Bloodlusted towards each other

Equipment: Standard for both sides

Knowledge: None for both sides

Victory conditions: Kill all of the opposing side.

I'd go with the Ultramarines, barely. They're more self sufficient than the USIF infantry. Also, I never played Section 8 so I can't really comment on what the USIF brought to the table.

The other lads might be able to kill the Ultramarines, but they're going up against near-sonic speed guys with rocket launcher machine guns who can see the hypersonic rounds of said weapons in slow motion.

I wouldn't go that far, unless we're talking about Terminators or maybe Primaris Marines
"The sorcerer stood at the edge of the marble disc, aiming a bolt pistol. He fired from almost point-blank range. Sabtah had no choice. He slapped the round away. His left hand exploded in a concentric swirl of blood and armour fragments."
Pg.229 Blood Gorgons

Actually... we've seen this matchup in SB, and as a player of both the (uninspired) original and the sequel, I'll have to go with the USIF infantry outside of high-level Psyker shenanigans. Partially for one reason only: their shields. Everything they've got is shielded and requires everything to have an EM coating to even hope to penetrate the shield (and this EM coating is apparently required to have a hope to penetrate the armor as well, make of that as you will). The basic assault rifle fires 15mm hypervelocity darts at hypersonic speeds and has an EM coating to help with penetration characteristics (I've calculated the KE of each round being 90kJ and that was assuming steel (I've seen other calcs that go upwards of 222.2kJ per shot for the humble assault rifle, and that was assuming a 70g round and uses the USN 2008 Railgun test's velocity), and it takes several hits to even hope to down a basic shield setup for the infantry). In the original and Prejudice, the standard USIF assault rifle is only reliant on how many batteries one has, not magazines. Also, nanotech is common as dirt with the USIF as they use it to pretty much heal and repair anything. Oh, and they can run at 70-75 MPH for quite some time and every single one of soldier has literal aimbot (requires a second or two to properly lock on depending on the soldier's suit, but it for a short time you'll get aimbot aim) and jetpacks.

Yeah...

Personally, and obviously, I favor the Astartes.

@Steel10 which Ultramarines are we using? Cause after Guillimans revival Primaris started reinforcing everyone, and they sport slightly better stuff to boot. Also by "standard equipment" are we including the mix of heavy weaponry and such that either side may have available? Heavy Bolters, Assualt Marines, whatever USIF has, etc

Personally, and obviously, I favor the Astartes.

@Steel10 which Ultramarines are we using? Cause after Guillimans revival Primaris started reinforcing everyone, and they sport slightly better stuff to boot. Also by "standard equipment" are we including the mix of heavy weaponry and such that either side may have available? Heavy Bolters, Assualt Marines, whatever USIF has, etc
After Guilliman's Revival and Yep, All sides have access to their heavy weaponry.

After Guilliman's Revival and Yep, All sides have access to their heavy weaponry.
Oh boy, then that would make things interesting as now you've given the Armored Infantry all their toys including personal mortars (comes in incendiary, anti-material, and anti-infantry flavors)... and their turrets.

Let's first consider the scale of this conflict. An army of 100 Ultramarines [Tactical Marines + Devastators with heavy weapons and Lieutenants] (and excluding transports), comes out to around 1877 points based off this list (1997-120 cutting-out the Razorback), more than enough to replace some of those marines with vehicles, Primaris, Librarians, Dreadnoughts, Terminators. While that's crunch and not fluff, it can be used to get a sense of scale for this conflict: big. That's very close to the 2000 point limit for most tournaments, which is on the scale of battles including tanks, giant walkers bristling with guns (for Knights), air support, et cetera.

This kind of force represents a Battalion in Universe terms, and Standard Equipment for a 40k Battalion is heavy, really heavy.

The UM are one of the primary adopters of Primaris Marines, so in a "standard" force (whatever that is), I'd expect to see quite a few of them. Primaris marines are considerably more powerful than standard marines, featuring more sophisticated weapons, even faster reactions, higher strength and speed, the ability to literally bite through armor...

Power Weapons: Power weapons are encased in a "sheath" of energy which melts/destroys/ignores most matter and most shielding. Definitely enough to penetrate USIF armor and shields, since it's literal magic.

Psykers: Back at it again with the main reason 40k walks over most other scifi universes: magic.

Of course, part of this is the non-specific nature of this set-up. 100 Armored Infantry is so much more specific than 100 Ultramarines, because Ultramarines include:
-Tactical Marines
-Devastators
-Captains/Lieutenants
-Assault Marines
-Terminators
-Primaris
-Librarians
-Dreadnoughts
-Crews for vehicles, like Predators and Thunderhawks
-Crews for space vehicles, like Fury Interceptors and Battlebarges
-Their Primarch, Roboute Guilliman

All of those are considered "Ultramarines." An Ultramarine flies a ship, an Ultramarine fights on land, an Ultramarine mans Artillery.

Of course, some of those items can be immediately discounted: One Battlebarge goes way over the limit of 100 marines, and vehicles can probably be discounted based on the nature of this combat themselves
But even saying "Only Soldiers" still allows for most of that list, including the ROFL-stomp of allowing their Primarch.

As this conflict is currently written, the favor goes straight to the Ultramarines because they are able to take so much more of their stuff, including a literal Demi-god and literal magic-users, versus what is essentially a force of Tactical+Assault Hybrids with a few heavy weapons.

Back
Top Bottom