What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trump begins Supreme Court search to replace Anthony Kennedy

Horton

Cat
Administrator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44638092

US President Donald Trump has said the search for a replacement for retiring Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy will "begin immediately".

"We have to pick one that's going to be there for 40 years, 45 years," Mr Trump said at a rally in North Dakota.

The retirement of Mr Kennedy, a conservative who sided with liberals on many votes, gives Mr Trump the chance to shift the top court's balance more to the right for decades to come.

The judge, 81, will retire on 31 July.

He made the announcement on Wednesday, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family after 30 years on the top court. Mr Trump later praised Mr Kennedy - who held the pivotal vote on many key cases - as "a great justice of the Supreme Court".

So Anthony Kennedy, a long standing Judge in the US Supreme Court has announced he's standing down. While obviously gaining a lot of poor reactions seeing he's going to allow Trump to put in a particularly right wing judge in replacement, replacing him a moderate Republican, more of a swing voter if anything, with a hard right Republican.

Now I don't believe this is a particularly awful thing as it's very possible that the Democrats could pull what FDR did and appoint a bunch more liberal judges to the SC, "Court Packing" as it's called. But it likely cost political capital to do that, but I don't believe it will be as much as we think it is as the GOP has got away with dirty political tactics for a while and unless you're not voting for them anyway, you generally don't care all that much.

I'd be careful judging the guy for this anyway, he knows that the Dems could do something like this and likely judged it as such, we really don't know the guys personal life either...so passing proper judgement is hard. He's an old guy and it's possible he just could have worn out, this has been reportedly been on the books for a while anyway and it's possible he planned this before anticipating the rise of Trump.

Actually, there has been information (via NYTimes) that has Kennedy's son worked with the Russian oligarchs during his time with Deutsche Bank and has hefty business ties to Trump. I wouldn't be surprised that the Russians have 'influenced' Kennedy to step down... and when I mean influenced I mean 'we kill the rest of your family that isn't in our pocket in increasingly horrific ways'.

However, given that the FBI has given an APB (showed up in the SB Trump-Russia investigation Thread 2: THE WEB DEEPENS) that Russia is likely going to monkey with the 2018 elections in a similar (and possibly more extensive fashion) fashion to the 2016 elections, I'm of the camp that the US IC, US military, and the DoJ are implementing the infrastructure -or the finishing touches- for some plan drawn up during the early days of the Cold War that is essentially a coup against the elected government. The plan itself is probably named some ridiculous thing because the very scenario is ridiculous. Probably along the lines of Hot Under Collar Cyclone or something just as or even more ridiculous.

Since the US electorate has -quite literally- the attention span of ferrets (I should know, I had three of the little hyperactive ADHD buggers)... this won't end well.

Here is another thing, given that Trump might have a part in this, Muller is likely investigating this avenue and if the DoJ finds out that Trump and co forced Kennedy to retire, well... not even god has insurance that high.

Here is another thing, given that Trump might have a part in this, Muller is likely investigating this avenue and if the DoJ finds out that Trump and co forced Kennedy to retire, well... not even god has insurance that high.
To my knowledge, isn't this been on the books for a while?
Since the US electorate has -quite literally- the attention span of ferrets (I should know, I had three of the little hyperactive ADHD buggers)... this won't end well.
The fact that the electorate literally live in different areas, meaning their expose to different ideas is minimal at best outside of the internet, unlike most other western countries where there's more of a spread of opinions doesn't help either, it leads to bubbles.

This is both true spatially and true in the news sources that people consume, people live in different areas and people only consume news sources that feed their own biases and I'm unsure if these problems can be realistically fixed, though there are a few things

* Invest in education, fix the K-12 system.
* Invest in infrastructure and build more connection between rural areas to urban ones.
* Do something to slam down on fake news

Again though, none of these are a panacea, the country simply has a lot of problems and unless the union somehow splits again, we're not going to get rid of the polarization.

There's just far too much of a difference between both sides and extremists have driven compromise out of the window. Obama was too left wing for a lot of these people, after all and I found him fairly moderate.

Last edited:
I don't know, Trump's last appointment was actually a pretty decent choice. Agreed with the majority opinion in nearly every single case, well spoken, constitutionalist, educated...

Honestly I'm still not sure why the dems opposed him so hard. Neil Gorsuch is probably one of the better guys put into the seat in the last few decades.

I don't think his next nomination will be horrid. Hell, it will likely be Thomas Hardiman(as he had the choice between nominating him and Gorsuch the last time), someone who's consistently ruled along the side of what laws are on the books and along the lines of the constitution, even ruling that police should be able to donate to the political arm of their union, certainly not a hard right wing position, as a ban on such violated the first amendment rights of the officers.

Not everything Trump does is bad remember, and not everyone the dems oppose being put into place is evil.

To my knowledge, isn't this been on the books for a while?
The investigation has been going through a speedrun because of how complete and utter shit that the GOP are in OPSEC. Muller has been continuously hiring the best men available and has basically locked down any and all avenues of disengagement every time the GOP tried something.
The fact that the electorate literally live in different areas, meaning their expose to different ideas is minimal at best outside of the internet, unlike most other western countries where there's more of a spread of opinions doesn't help either, it leads to bubbles.

This is both true spatially and true in the news sources that people consume, people live in different areas and people only consume news sources that feed their own biases and I'm unsure if these problems can be realistically fixed, though there are a few things
FOX News isn't a registered news network, or practically all the shit they've put out would have been slammed by the DoJ for inflammatory, misconduct, outright lying, libel, etc.
* Invest in education, fix the K-12 system.
* Invest in infrastructure and build more connection between rural areas to urban ones.
* Do something to slam down on fake news
However, you have to quite literally unfuck the education system from an 'industrial' style to an 'information age' style, infrastructure is expensive, and we can do 3 because the 1st is quite literally enshrined. Then there is the fact that we're heading headlong into Genocide Man territory already with new biotech coming out and the lowering of the bar of acquisition of such tech...
Again though, none of these are a panacea, the country simply has a lot of problems and unless the union somehow splits again, we're not going to get rid of the polarization. There's just far too much of a difference between both sides and extremists have driven compromise out of the window. Obama was too left wing for a lot of these people, after all and I found him fairly moderate.
Here is the thing with the GOP, they've now been subjugated by the Dixiecrats, who are descendants of traitors through and through. They used to be called the 'Southern Democrats' who tried to fight a civil war, then they broke off from the Democrats in the 1930s and worked with the Nazi Party of America. Then there is the fact that they were in bed with Reagan (who is under the US Constitution, he and much of his administration are genuine traitors who only got away with it because he had a fall guy)... among others...

Yeah, the only way this will end is either the US military, DoJ, and IC deciding 'fuck it, coup time' or the Baby Boomers die out one way or another.

I don't know, Trump's last appointment was actually a pretty decent choice. Agreed with the majority opinion in nearly every single case, well spoken, constitutionalist, educated...

Honestly I'm still not sure why the dems opposed him so hard. Neil Gorsuch is probably one of the better guys put into the seat in the last few decades.

I don't think his next nomination will be horrid. Hell, it will likely be Thomas Hardiman(as he had the choice between nominating him and Gorsuch the last time), someone who's consistently ruled along the side of what laws are on the books and along the lines of the constitution, even ruling that police should be able to donate to the political arm of their union, certainly not a hard right wing position, as a ban on such violated the first amendment rights of the officers.

Not everything Trump does is bad remember, and not everyone the dems oppose being put into place is evil.
My main problem with Trump isn't really his lack of decorum and general bigotry, though that certainly isn't something I particularly like about him, but they're pretty minor issues compared to his inane policies.

You have a guy that's spiraling the deficit out of control with his tax plan and that's getting really dangerous with raising interest rates. Disrupting supply chains and possibly in the process of causing an economic shock by slapping tariffs on Canada...as that's our largest supplier. Starting a trade war with China and possibly the rest of the world because apparently trade deficits are super bad now (They're not). Wrecking diplomatic relations with other countries throughout the globe and crippling the US soft power(Though some would argue that's a good thing on both the left and right). I cannot help but rank him as one of the worst presidents we've had, maybe not THE worst as we did have people like James Buchanan in office, but he's certainly been in the top 10 worst.
Yeah, the only way this will end is either the US military, DoJ, and IC deciding 'fuck it, coup time' or the Baby Boomers die out one way or another.

That would be rather counterproductive for your cause, as...

2_8.png

...there are more Democrat Boomers then Republican ones.

My main problem with Trump isn't really his lack of decorum and general bigotry, though that certainly isn't something I particularly like about him, but they're pretty minor issues compared to his inane policies.

You have a guy that's spiraling the deficit out of control with his tax plan and that's getting really dangerous with raising interest rates. Disrupting supply chains and possibly in the process of causing an economic shock by slapping tariffs on Canada...as that's our largest supplier. Starting a trade war with China and possibly the rest of the world because apparently trade deficits are super bad now (They're not). Wrecking diplomatic relations with other countries throughout the globe and crippling the US soft power(Though some would argue that's a good thing on both the left and right). I cannot help but rank him as one of the worst presidents we've had, maybe not THE worst as we did have people like James Buchanan in office, but he's certainly been in the top 10 worst.

In fairness, canada was the one to put a tariff on the US first if I remember the timeline right.

And Gen Z seems to be leaning libertarian and conservative more than millenials, likely as a backlash against the, uh, extreme polarization the millenials are revelling in.

That would be rather counterproductive for your cause, as...

2_8.png

From what I can understand, it's the opposite and there are more Republican Baby Boomers than Democrat Baby Boomers. :\
And Gen Z seems to be leaning libertarian and conservative more than millenials, likely as a backlash against the, uh, extreme polarization the millenials are revelling in.
That's false because we don't fucking know how Gen Z leans. :\

Even as a Republican I'm surprised such a large sample leans conservative/moderate. Though it's been nearly two years so who know's what the view of those of kids are now. Also after reading the article, I noticed having far more in common with Generation Z than my fellow Millennials. I wonder what the next generation is called/going to be called.

Even as a Republican I'm surprised such a large sample leans conservative/moderate. Though it's been nearly two years so who know's what the view of those of kids are now. Also after reading the article, I noticed having far more in common with Generation Z than my fellow Millennials. I wonder what the next generation is called/going to be called.
Well, here is the thing with GenZ and the GOP: they might have things commonly associated with 'conservatives', they also lean heavily 'liberal'. Then again the GOP has gone full-on near-Nazi-and-19th/early-20th-century-isolationist-and-nativist reactionary. Effectively, the GOP had become the second Know-Nothing Party.

I've never viewed Generation Z as socially conservative. Just mostly fiscally conservative. Yeah the Republican Party is swinging more rightward. And the wacko's are increasingly in charge.

I've never viewed Generation Z as socially conservative. Just mostly fiscally conservative. Yeah the Republican Party is swinging more rightward. And the wacko's are increasingly in charge.
The GOP has gone full Know-Nothing and Dixiecrat. The Know-Nothings helped to exuberate problems when they were running around while the Dixiecrats started the Civil War, sided with the Nazis (specifically the US branch, the Nazi Party of America) during the '30s after deciding the Dems and GOP weren't racist enough, did an insurgency campaign that went on until FBI Director Hoover got his hammer out and annihilated the KKK as a force in US politics during the late '50s to mid '60s, started the Drug War under Reagan, and, well, their crimes are pretty much legion at this point.

A lot of the GOP's problems is the Baby Boomers having a near-generation wide mentality of "fuck you, I've got mine" and hating any sort of change from their objectively psychotic nostalgic view of their childhoods, the Dixiecrats being outright treasonous in order to bring about their desire for apartheid state on a social-economic and social-political level, and the GOP not learning what the Dems learned when the Dixiecrats were quite literally told to GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Yeah, a lot of the problems the GOP currently has is pretty much 'they took the traitors in'.

I feel were getting way too off topic here. So who is Trump likely going to nominate?

I feel were getting way too off topic here. So who is Trump likely going to nominate?
Eh, we don't exactly know. For all we know his pick might be someone compromised by Russia.

that

Well, here is the thing with GenZ and the GOP: they might have things commonly associated with 'conservatives', they also lean heavily 'liberal'. Then again the GOP has gone full-on near-Nazi-and-19th/early-20th-century-isolationist-and-nativist reactionary. Effectively, the GOP had become the second Know-Nothing Party.

Near nazi? You realize that most of the GOP still opposes trump, and even he ain't a fuckin nazi.

Near nazi? You realize that most of the GOP still opposes trump, and even he ain't a fuckin nazi.
If trump is a Nazi, then the allies must have been Nazis due to colonialism as well.

Trump's pretty gross but Nazi is a strong word.

Are you blind? Most of the old GOP had already abandoned ship at this point. Everything the GOP has done for the last decade or so has been straight out of the Nazi handbook.

Are you blind? Most of the old GOP had already abandoned ship at this point. Everything the GOP has done for the last decade or so has been straight out of the Nazi handbook.

Like... nationalizing the arms and car industries? Wait no they haven't promised to do that.

Nationalism=/=naziism.

Like... nationalizing the arms and car industries? Wait no they haven't promised to do that.

Nationalism=/=naziism.
You forget that they didn't nationalize war and vehicle industries... or you ignorant of history?

Back
Top Bottom