What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Has Ended, and The Choice is Yours

Lord Inquisitor Adornable

The Community Outreach Mod
A nuclear war has broken out and the missiles will strike your local population center any minute now. Fortunately for you, you've made it to a secure bomb shelter where you'll be safe from the nuclear holocaust occurring outside.

10 people have also made it to the shelter, but only after you locked the door behind you. The Shelter's life support systems can only sustain 6 additional humans, the survivors pleading to be let are as follows.

1. A 16 year old white girl with a questionable I.Q.; high school dropout; pregnant
2. Policeman with a gun; thrown off the force for police brutality
3. A clergyman; 79 years old
4. A 36 year old female physician; known to be a confirmed racist
5. A 46 year old female singer; served 7 years for pushing narcotics; has been out of jail for 3 months
6. A 20 year old black male militant; second year med student
7. A 15 year old Hispanic boy; honors student
8. A male architect; homosexual
9. A 26 year old male law student
10. The law student's 25 year old wife; spent the last nine months in a mental hospital; still heavily sedated; they refuse to be separated

Knowing that these very well may be the last humans in existence, or at very least the only human beings you'll ever see again who do you choose to let in and why?

None. If we're all going to get nuked and there won't be many humans to survive, better just walk out of the bunker and end it quick. Not enough people to get through the genetic bottleneck anyway, so our species is dead. Better avoid the unnecessary painful life after a nuclear war.

4. I'd like to have the medical knowledge, on hand ease suffering and all that, long term look for others until this relic population dies or thrives

A nuclear war has broken out and the missiles will strike your local population center any minute now. Fortunately for you, you've made it to a secure bomb shelter where you'll be safe from the nuclear holocaust occurring outside.

10 people have also made it to the shelter, but only after you locked the door behind you. The Shelter's life support systems can only sustain 6 additional humans, the survivors pleading to be let are as follows.

1. A 16 year old white girl with a questionable I.Q.; high school dropout; pregnant
5. A 46 year old female singer; served 7 years for pushing narcotics; has been out of jail for 3 months
10. The law student's 25 year old wife; spent the last nine months in a mental hospital; still heavily sedated; they refuse to be separated

Knowing that these very well may be the last humans in existence, or at very least the only human beings you'll ever see again who do you choose to let in and why?

I'd take no.1, no. 7, no. 9 and 10, no. 4 and no. 8 can take my place. Babies, children and women first.

I'd take no.1, no. 7, no. 9 and 10, no. 4 and no. 8 can take my place. Babies, children and women first.
It's six additional people T-dugong, no self sacrifice nessissery or really allowed.

No. 1's pregnant, so in 9 months that'll be another person in the shelter. Also, I'd be eaten alive by my own guilt if I didn't let as many people into the shelter.

Guess I'm wired this way?
The baby won't consume enough oxygen to be a drain on the system till well after the radiation has cleared.

Also while I didn't think it worth mentioning, you are the only member of the group trained how to operate and maintain the bunkers systems. You are a vital component of the system.

The baby won't consume enough oxygen to be a drain on the system till well after the radiation has cleared.

Also while I didn't think it worth mentioning, you are the only member of the group trained how to operate and maintain the bunkers systems. You are a vital component of the system.

Oh... that changes things, yes. I guess I'll stay inside the bunker then.

Seems like the easiest decision here is to determine the 4 people you don't need rather than the 6 people you do.

In post apocalypse, a law expert isn't going to be useful. They won't be needed again until communities get much much much bigger. However his wife made the choice for me. She's just not fit for the apocalypse.

The clergyman is about to die due to his age, and also he's probably the best person to make those 'left behind' come to peace with their death.

The female singer and the teenagers have about the same level of utility in terms of practical knowledge, but they're both young and much more malleable than a 46 y/o. They'd probably handle the apocalypse better than her.

The preacher and the sinners (so 2, 3, 4, 5, and there's a free slot it doesn't really matter), I may not believe in God but at this point it wouldn't really hurt to have a redemption story happening.

... and if it doesn't happen then oh well... I took my chances and not every gamble pays off.

Seems like the easiest decision here is to determine the 4 people you don't need rather than the 6 people you do.

In post apocalypse, a law expert isn't going to be useful. They won't be needed again until communities get much much much bigger. However his wife made the choice for me. She's just not fit for the apocalypse.

The clergyman is about to die due to his age, and also he's probably the best person to make those 'left behind' come to peace with their death.

The female singer and the teenagers have about the same level of utility in terms of practical knowledge, but they're both young and much more malleable than a 46 y/o. They'd probably handle the apocalypse better than her.
Very interesting choices Surfer, what are your thoughts on your new bunkermates including a racist, a black militant, an Hispanic teen, a pregnant teen, a violent man with a gun, and a homosexual?

Very interesting choices Surfer, what are your thoughts on your new bunkermates including a racist, a black militant, an Hispanic teen, a pregnant teen, a violent man with a gun, and a homosexual?
The physician and med student team up to teach the rest of the group how to fix others up. Their practical knowledge far outweighs their racial mindset, and I have absolute faith that they'll put aside their differences during the apocalypse. Especially since we have a pregnant girl on our hands.

The forner police officer I ask to train the rest of us how to do a takedown. There's going to be raiders and ghouls and he's a got experience. Hopefully he's also had some time to reflect on his firing and learned to be aware of his tendency.

The architect is useful here because knowing how to build shit is important when there's nothing left standing.

The honors student and the pregnant girl are basically the same. One performed well in public schools, the other I assume was the dropout that didn't. It's irrelevant now. School and education as it was will never be the same for them, they're going to have to learn to adapt if they want to survive to an old age.

The pregnant teen. Young people deserve a chance to prove themselves.

The singer. Being in jail for drugs is nothin'.

The 'crazy wife.' Who knows what somebody who thinks outside the box can do?

The med student. His militant leanings don't matter.

The physician. She'll be force to abandon her racism in the wake of the apocalypse or die.

The wife's husband, since she refuses to leave him.

Well I'm a diabetic and have genetic polyp growth so I'm completely fucked without a modern hospital. I also know for a fact that we aren't the last humans because nukes aren't being dropped on Nobodycaresaboutistan, and recovering from a genetic bottleneck of just 7 individuals would be impossible anyway. I'd probably let 1, 4, 6, 7, and 8 in, and maybe let 9 and 10 in as I probably wouldn't survive longer than 2 years without a modern first world hospital. I might also "allow" the cop to enter the vault, shut the door on his arm and take the gun to give to the survivors and he's a danger to everybody else around him as long as he is in possession of it. The clergyman is simply too old to be valuable enough to put in a vault (and would probably agree) while the singer will be more of a threat to the survivors than a boon as a narcotic addled mind.

What narcotic was the singer "pushing" and was she hooked on it? Does she need methadone or equivalent to function? If she's been in prison for 7 years she almost certainly got dry but there's a spectrum there.

Also I want more personality data. Sometimes people can believe shitty things but still be team players and sometimes you get a vegetarian GP who runs a charity but is the reincarnation of a despot. Cabin fever is very real, and histrionic or aggressive personality types can be literally deadly in that circumstance.

Last edited:
The physician and med student team up to teach the rest of the group how to fix others up. Their practical knowledge far outweighs their racial mindset, and I have absolute faith that they'll put aside their differences during the apocalypse. Especially since we have a pregnant girl on our hands.

The forner police officer I ask to train the rest of us how to do a takedown. There's going to be raiders and ghouls and he's a got experience. Hopefully he's also had some time to reflect on his firing and learned to be aware of his tendency.

The architect is useful here because knowing how to build shit is important when there's nothing left standing.

The honors student and the pregnant girl are basically the same. One performed well in public schools, the other I assume was the dropout that didn't. It's irrelevant now. School and education as it was will never be the same for them, they're going to have to learn to adapt if they want to survive to an old age.
Both your choices and your rational are what I'd expect from a more liberation like individual such as yourself.

You expect people to be rational actors and value the utility of your options highly.

Not criticizing, just making an observation.

Her observation is that with just six people, unless they find a new city with a hidden population, there's no hope of human society rebuilding. Once two of them had kids, they'd either have to have more, or inbreed. And who wanna do that? Meanwhile a lot of them have behavioral issues and one is a fuckin' brutal cop w/a gun.

We're all fucked in t his scenario, really. IMO.

To be clear, people are gonna be hella irrational during the apocalypse. I expect turbulence in relationships. But with people you take the bad with the good. That's how it is during the apocalypse.

The following:

1. 16 year old.
2. Law student.
3. Law student's wife.
4. Architect.
5. Honor student.
6. Clergyman.

I know the Clergyman will die soon anyways, but no one deserves that fate. He deserves to die in peace.

Since I decided to take the same individuals, I'll answer this too.

The only problem I have is with the racist. And that's mostly because I know she will likely be racist against me and the millitant, which we just cannot have in the apocalypse, since it could get us killed. Who knows, the apocalypse can change people greatly and bring the best... or the worst out of them.

All of them...

As long as they can still produce offspring within the next 5 or so years. So the singer is probably out and so is the clergyman.

Also a gay man isn't sterile and can still impregnate women.

Its pretty easy... they all get in... but they need to check their baggage at the door. After the dust has settled and there is a sustainable situation going on... everybody has a very basic job to fulfill.

Once we have security and resources aplenty everybody will have to simply accept that the women will be pregant and the men will have to work their asses off to support them. A breeding program is going to get set up.

If you dont agree... you will be forced.

It is going to be a nightmare... but the alternative is death... of the individual and the species.

All of them...

As long as they can still produce offspring within the next 5 or so years. So the singer is probably out and so is the clergyman.

Its pretty easy... they all get in... but they need to check their baggage at the door. After the dust has settled and there is a sustainable situation going on... everybody has a very basic job to fulfill.

Once we have security and resources aplenty everybody will have to simply accept that the women will be pregant and the men will have to work their asses off to support them. A breeding program is going to get set up.

It is going to be a nightmare... but the alternative is death... of the individual and the species.
Grim, but undeniably a possible truth.

All of them...

The gay man isnt sterlie... But isnt attracted to woman. So he "cant" reproduce because he wont get erect and wont ejulecate.

Back
Top Bottom