What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trope of fearing the superhumans

And I would no problem with this if It was nuanced. I have often found the problem being a race thing to be utterly bizarre? Why not class? IE companies preferring to hire people with superpowers rather then normal people. Or Rich people buying super powers? Because some superpowered people can do the job of ten or a hundred normals. Instead we get magneto who can't tell the difference between hitler using Jews as scapegoats for societal problem and normal people being justifiably afraid of mutants and them actually causing some problems.
Because, sadly enough, nuance doesn't sell, bizarre sells. :(

I always thought it was how things always came to bite you in the ass later. You carried out the holocaust? Well, this magnetokinetic now learned well from you. And you've made a gigantic threat to the world.

Thanks, Nazis.

81oeors4f1x21.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought it was how things always came to bite you in the ass later. You carried out the holocaust? Well, this magnetokinetic now learned well from you. And you've made a gigantic threat to the world.

Thanks, Nazis.

81oeors4f1x21.jpg
I have no sympathy left for Magneto
DsTcSZnXQAEk2VP.jpg:large

ab7.jpg

I have no sympathy left for Magneto
DsTcSZnXQAEk2VP.jpg:large

ab7.jpg
Something to note is that Superhuman Supremacists like Magneto and his Brotherhood of Mutants have something of a point.

Discriminating based on race and ethnicity doesn't make any sense for real world humans because humans just aren't different enough, but when you have a guy who can implode a tank with his mind or ignore bullets or read and control people's thoughts or build a sapient killer robot out of the stuff in the average garage... it's kind of hard to argue that guy is equal to normal people. The issue is that there is a very clear and obvious trait that makes superhumans... super... and this results in any claims they're better than normal, non-super people as having some validity.

The same is true when you consider the very obvious physical and mental differences of various alien and fantasy races or species in fiction. Some species are demonstrably better or worse off than others.

Last edited:
Something to note is that Superhuman Supremacists like Magneto and his Brotherhood of Mutants have something of a point.

Discriminating based on race and ethnicity doesn't make any sense for real world humans because humans just aren't different enough, but when you have a guy who can implode a tank with his mind or ignore bullets or read and control people's thoughts or build a sapient killer robot out of the stuff in the average garage... it's kind of hard to argue that guy is equal to normal people. The issue is that there is a very clear and obvious trait that makes superhumans... super... and this results in any claims they're better than normal, non-super people as having some validity.

The same is true when you consider the very obvious physical and mental differences of various alien and fantasy races or species in fiction. Some are species are demonstrably better or worse off than others.
And? I mean I don't necessarily disagree. But that's part of the problem the difference between a mutant supremacist and a white supremacist is that one can back up their shit better. But in the end their both idiots who want to get rid of or subjugate everyone who does not meet their standards. Magneto is what he hates. And is still inside that concentration camp. The thing is he's not trying to bring it down he's trying to put himself in charge of it.

And? I mean I don't necessarily disagree. But that's part of the problem the difference between a mutant supremacist and a white supremacist is that one can back up their shit better. But in the end their both idiots who want to get rid of or subjugate everyone who does not meet their standards. Magneto is what he hates. And is still inside that concentration camp. The thing is he's not trying to bring it down he's trying to put himself in charge of it.
It's a defining character flaw for Magneto that he ends using methods for the mutant cause that end up being just as bad as what he suffered in the past. Red Skull very much has a point in calling Magneto out on this, especially when Magneto tries to claim moral superiority.

Any setting where super humans or aliens or fantasy species that have demonstrable concrete differences that make them better or worse relative to each other in one or more areas there is logically going to be some arguably justified racism/speciesism in the setting. It's a lot easier to sympathize or see the logic of a being that is in fact better than a human and is racist/speciesist is what I'm saying.

It doesn't mean characters in the story have to agree with them or just lay down and accept it. Telling the Elves to go fuck off or finding ways to beat the super human is what drives many stories.

Magneto does terrible things, but you can at least agree to an extent on why he does what he does even if he became what he hates. Being able to see the villain's viewpoint and to some extent agreeing with it is part of what makes a good antivillain.

Back
Top Bottom