What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Notre Dame is on fire

StolenMadWolf

Author
A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.
The cause is not yet clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.
A major operation to tackle the blaze is under way at the 850-year-old Gothic building, but the cathedral's spire has collapsed.
Last year, the Catholic Church in France appealed for funds to save the building, which was crumbling.
A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning".

Well, shit. It's been burning for a good hour now and from what I have heard on my discords is that the Spire has already burnt down.

If it was shoddy worksmanship (Renovations were ongoing), that company is completely FUCKED.
Pretty likely to be a renovation accident, when you see the pictures of the flames centered on the place where there are scaffoldings. Seems to have started under the roof, so at least most of the art should have survived long enough to be evacuated.

Le Sigh, though.

Holy fuck. Holy fucking fuck. This is awful! :eek:

If it was shoddy worksmanship (Renovations were ongoing), that company is completely FUCKED.

Probably a welder who wasn't paying attention to what they were doing, and they caught something on fire.

Yeah, the main spire has completely collapased and I've now heard that the stained glass is melting in there, though I can't confirm that.

And shit, the BBC's angle is showing that one of the two main towers is on fire, and spreading.

We don't know, and it'll be the forensics' job to find out what the heck happened. Not a good day, but we've seen worse overall.
Wasn't the spire already burned at some point and later rebuilt? During, or perhaps slightly after the French Revolution?

It has burned before, it will be rebuilt. This time, and another, and another.

Yeah, if they can rebuild all those other cathedrals, and other wooden structures and vessels, they can rebuild Notre Dame. I mean, if they can rebuild the Cutty Sark (caught fire and burnt to a crisp in 2007, has since been rebuilt) which is arguably a harder job as Sark has metal instead of stone and was a ship, them the csthedral can be restored.

I will post what I have posted on SB.

The cathedral of Reims was destroyed during WWI.
cathedrale-reims-1918.jpg

It is now standing.
REIMS-CATHEDRALE_1_1400_397.jpg

So even if the worse would happen, it would be possible, and it surely would be done, to rebuild ND. It would take times, years, but it would be done.

Picture from the Firefighters HQ:
dzUv5PC.jpg

To me it seems that the fire is mostly resting on the inner stone arch roof... for now.

From the latest news, the two towers are now safe.

That scaffolding is the real champ. Spends hours glowing red hot but will not collapse.

Back
Top Bottom