What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The justification for moving from Jaeger's to a wall and back again

Erwin_Pommel

Banned
Basically on the tin of these frozen carbonite beans.

What do you think was the in-universe reason for moving from Jaeger's in Pacific Rim to the wall project during a time of war and then going back to Jaeger's during peacetime.

The death of all professional engineers and scientists in an off-screen paperclip pandemic, IMO. That's why they had to replace them with Redditors and Tumblrites going SCIENCE! instead of whacking the Kaijus with conventional equipment, much more cost-effective than Jaegers. Same when all military historian choked on a bad batch of Starbucks, leading to a 4chan-powered Revolution in Military Affairs that would have Gamelin slap all of them yelling that this is even dumber than the memetic version of the Maginot Line, itself way dumber than the historical one.

Jaegers had a response time slow enough these habited cities were suffering losses in life and property damage thought unacceptable.

The wall would be omnipresent and provide plenty of time for slower defenses to mobilize.

Conventional weapons didn't work as the kijus biology being very toxic to earth life. The mechs just bludgeoned to death instead of blowing them up.

Jaegers had a response time slow enough these habited cities were suffering losses in life and property damage thought unacceptable.

The wall would be omnipresent and provide plenty of time for slower defenses to mobilize.

Conventional weapons didn't work as the kijus biology being very toxic to earth life. The mechs just bludgeoned to death instead of blowing them up.
That makes exactly zero sense. The energy delivered by the mechs is small. Very small.

Suppose that a 5,000 tonne mech rams a Kaiju at, say, 72 kph, AKA 20 m/s. Kinetic energy of the mech? 1/2*m*v^2 = 200*5,000,000 = 1 GJ.

That's half the energy delivered by the warhead of a single cruise missile. You talk about toxicity? The several billions euros and thousands of lives saved allow me to procure and maintain highly mobile decontamination groups that go on site and secure the shit like they would do for large industrial accidents.

That makes exactly zero sense. The energy delivered by the mechs is small. Very small.

Suppose that a 5,000 tonne mech rams a Kaiju at, say, 72 kph, AKA 20 m/s. Kinetic energy of the mech? 1/2*m*v^2 = 200*5,000,000 = 1 GJ.

That's half the energy delivered by the warhead of a single cruise missile. You talk about toxicity? The several billions euros and thousands of lives saved allow me to procure and maintain highly mobile decontamination groups that go on site and secure the shit like they would do for large industrial accidents.
So you want to be slinging cruise missiles at habited cities to blow up monsters and spread super plague across it via monster chucks?

So you want to be slinging cruise missiles at habited cities to blow up monsters and spread super plague across it via monster chucks?
Yep. It will cause a shitload less damage than having giant robots going WWE in habited cities. Of course, the best thing is that you don't even need to wait for the Kaiju to reach habited cities: radars and sonars are a thing, so what you'd actually do would simply pinpoint the massive sonar signature coming towards the coast and fire a 20 kT depth charge at it. Which wouldn't be too damaging environmentally. After all, we've fired hundreds if not thousands of nukes IRL with no real effect on the ecosystem.

Yep. It will cause a shitload less damage than having giant robots going WWE in habited cities. Of course, the best thing is that you don't even need to wait for the Kaiju to reach habited cities: radars and sonars are a thing, so what you'd actually do would simply pinpoint the massive sonar signature coming towards the coast and fire a 20 kT depth charge at it. Which wouldn't be too damaging environmentally. After all, we've fired hundreds if not thousands of nukes IRL with no real effect on the ecosystem.

Do note it is standard Jaeger Corps procedure to keep the fighting out of the cities. There is no waiting for Kaiju to reach the cities unless a specific situation like the Hong Kong one shows up.

Do note it is standard Jaeger Corps procedure to keep the fighting out of the cities. There is no waiting for Kaiju to reach the cities unless a specific situation like the Hong Kong one shows up.
And do note that it's still massively more wasteful to build, maintain, move, supply and repair that thing when half a dozen cruise missiles would do a lot more damage to the Kaiju. Or, as I pointed out, cut the knot, locate it with sonars followed with Maritime Patrol Aircraft, then drop a nuke on its head while a thousand km away from the coasts.

And do note that it's still massively more wasteful to build, maintain, move, supply and repair that thing when half a dozen cruise missiles would do a lot more damage to the Kaiju. Or, as I pointed out, cut the knot, locate it with sonars followed with Maritime Patrol Aircraft, then drop a nuke on its head while a thousand km away from the coasts.
I am noting it, the reason this thread was made is that I wanted thoughts, the issue here is that you at best implied and at worst stated something completely wrong in terms of this. Now I understand what you are getting at, but ultimately I fail to see your reasoning behind pushing this argument when 3 days of constant assault from the US military did not even kill a Catagory-1 Kaiju and even when they nuked the fucker: it was still in "good" shape for the most part.

Though as a final note, can we keep on topic? This isn't a thread for pointing out better alternatives to Jaeger's, make another thread for that. This is a thread about the potential reasoning the governments had during the stated switches in production focus.

Not to get too political or real-world here, but some people just really like walls.

Even if there is no evidence that they will work, or even if there is evidence that it is taking money away from things that could work... people like walls. If the people like walls and insist that they want boondoggle walls, then the government will build some useless walls to stay in power. And like any other government, once you do something you don't acknowledge that you fucked up unless you really really have to, so justifications that the wall is fine are also to be expected.

I never really saw anything to indicate that the governments ever truly expected the walls to work beyond pointing and saying"wall!" to people who rightfully felt that they weren't being properly defended.

The question perhaps should be "Who was the first person to really push this stupid wall idea as a serious proposal?"

Back
Top Bottom