What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The FiC News & Politics Improvement Committee

THERE were two "Reigns of Terror," if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the "horrors" of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

THERE were two "Reigns of Terror," if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the "horrors" of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

What in the Nine Hells of Valeria are you talking about?

What in the Nine Hells of Valeria are you talking about?
She's quoting A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. GREAT book.

"Communism is idiocy. They want to divide up the property. Suppose they did it — it requires brains to keep money as well as make it. In a precious little while the money would be back in the former owner's hands and the communist would be poor again."

Pol Pot is the Joseph Smith of communism.
So, a fraud who created a religion to enrich himself while understanding next to nothing about the one it was based on?

Somehow this thread itself became a perfect demonstration of how this sub-forum fails.

The goal should be for everyone to feel they got something out of the exchange and that their time wasn't wasted.

Too much shitposting, ever escalating derails, poster who don't know when to stop getting egged on by trolling instead of stopped by moderation and the apperantly approved
not nessisserally nice or even civil
tone making people fight instead of talking.

Somehow this thread itself became a perfect demonstration of how this sub-forum fails.

Too much shitposting, ever escalating derails, poster who don't know when to stop getting egged on by trolling instead of stopped by moderation and the apperantly approved

The lax rules allow for much more casual and relaxed conversation about subjects that get brought up, yes you get people shitposting and shitting but that is the price of being able to actually have an open conversation where language and topics aren't policed to the degree where giving your opinion on something automatically gives you an infraction or a ban.

If you go too far you end up with the SV case of banning everyone for wrongthink or 'daring to have a wrong opinion, or SBs 'NO FUN ALLOWED EVER.'

A few quick thoughts on the points you brought up.
1. Shitposting is harmless. It can be ignored.
2. What's wrong with derails? In my experiences, when people have a conversation it can very quickly derail from subject to subject. A fun game I play is "how did we get to this topic?" when in long conversations with friends.
3. In my experiences on SB & SV, people are so extremely toxic towards each other despite all the harsher rules and regulations there.

Last edited:
Shitposting is harmless. It can be ignored.
2. What's wrong with derails? In my experiences, when people have a conversation it can very quickly derail from subject to subject.
Both are basically the same "problem". Thing is this is a forum, not a chatroom and not a private conversation. The free talking style might be engaging for those few directly involved, but reading threads and trying to find what you were looking for after reading the title and OP becomes basically a disappointing chore.

It's fine if your aim is just to chat with a few friends or regulars, but I don't think this way of going about it scales and I believe it will prevent this forum from ever going from "a place where some SB exiles with an understanding between each other meet to keep in touch" to "a interesting place for anyone interested in sci-fi or politics".

Isn't posting in this thread supposed to achieve this very goal?

They're kinda laid back, so it may take some time. That being said, when you plead for your case, give some solutions that would satisfy both your concerns and the owner's wish of a less regimented forum. I wish you luck, my friend.

They're kinda laid back, so it may take some time. That being said, when you plead for your case, give some solutions that would satisfy both your concerns and the owner's wish of a less regimented forum. I wish you luck, my friend.
Eh, I believe I have a pretty good read on some problems, but I can't offer any solutions that differ from "recreate SB" and that's obviously not the idea :D

Seriously, I believe we need some anti-derail rules, but it's hard to see how you could write or enforce them in a way not ending in either the "no fun allowed" tyranny or the "fun allowed depending on the moderator and their current mood" despotism.

Back
Top Bottom