What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

They had a politician get hit in the face with a dildo, IIRC. That's about all I know.

All the Rich are building bunkers here. If nuclear war happens not only will we survive due to everyone forgetting about this island but it would also be the shining bastion of capitalism in the new barbaric era.
No, the moment that Russian SSBNs send up their satellites to find more targets, they'll nuke NZ until it's glass just to ensure no one would be able to rule the ashes.

• Love
Reactions: EiC
No, the moment that Russian SSBNs send up their satellites to find more targets, they'll nuke NZ until it's glass just to ensure no one would be able to rule the ashes.
No because NZ will have been hacked by Active Measures and be annexed into Russia as one of the first moves.
Lots of close relatives in NZ and Oz, might be worth looking into the passport process.
Meh, better cross the Channel. Closer and you then have a safer position all around, both politically and economically.

Heh, I am not so sure. While I know it is not likely I am still hoping that some of them will come to their sense and realise that a Hard Brexit is a terrible idea.
Well, maybe the fact that Salvini (and probably others) will oppose any extension will force them to get their house in order (and come to their sense). Playing nice didn't work, so maybe it's time to play bad cop?

Maybe a few of the will realize that anti-immigrant politicians are always bad. Literally always bad. There has never been an anti-immigration/anti-foreigner political stance or party that hasn't either failed miserably to get elected, or ruined the nation it took over. It's exactly the same as the way those same people portray communism.

Does anyone has anything to correct to this post? Anyone? Anything at all?
Ah, good job with the tone, makes it sound almost as stupid as it was.
Tiny error with the timeline:

AND THEN SHE FUCKING DECIDES TO ACTIVATE THE ARTICLE 50 TO LEAVE THE EU.
The election she called, she did it after activating article 50. Robbing the UK both of time and choice. Then again she didn't fucking talk about her Brexit plans in the election (because she didn't have any) making that whole choice thing even more questionable. It's a miracle she kept the position (with overwhelming poll numbers for her before the election). Caused by the big opposition party being just as directionless.

Maybe a few of the will realize that anti-immigrant politicians are always bad. Literally always bad. There has never been an anti-immigration/anti-foreigner political stance or party that hasn't either failed miserably to get elected, or ruined the nation it took over. It's exactly the same as the way those same people portray communism.
That doesn't mean that the complete opposite works either (at least when it comes to immigration)

Full of hobbits. Easy to invade and to occupy. Made a tank. Once. The world is still laughing.
...that reminds me of a very WTF fanfic I found where the Nazis invade Middle Earth and start carting off the Hobbits to death camps. Literally called "Hobbit Holocaust"

With genderbent Bilbo. Because why not?

That doesn't mean that the complete opposite works either (at least when it comes to immigration)
Oddly, it actually does economically. It's only if you're actually concerned about ethnic demographics that there's really a problem.

Don't know if this have already been posted, but seriously, some people really hate their own country.
Leading Eurosceptics are lobbying right-of-centre governments in Europe to see if they would veto a British extension of article 50 and so ensure the UK drops out of the EU at the end of the month without a deal.

In theory, only one country is required to wield its veto for any British request to be rejected.

It is highly unlikely this lobbying will succeed as the governments in countries such as Hungary, Italy and Poland have other more important battles to fight with the EU. But the lobbying underlines the precariousness of the British position.

Oddly, it actually does economically. It's only if you're actually concerned about ethnic demographics that there's really a problem.
Aye if you only look at the country they migrate to, and disregard level of skill and ability of said migrants, and completely ignore the fact they probably don't speak the local language.

Theres also the issue when you take highly skilled migrants in (i.e doctors, engineers, scientists) you have effectively denied their country of origin this resource and as a result made the country of origins situation even worse.

Immigration isn't bad if its controlled and regulated, mindless immigration however is fucking stupid.
My god some people really shovel their own graves do they?
Whoever wrote that article needs to get fired, dear god the formatting is bad.

Last edited:
My god some people really shovel their own graves do they?
Only their political career. Maybe.

Sadly most of these hardliners are only hardlining for votes, and they already moved enough of their wealth out of the country that they could live handsomely even after the UK economy shrinks in the Brexit aftermath.

Aye if you only look at the country they migrate to, and disregard level of skill and ability of said migrants, and completely ignore the fact they probably don't speak the local language.

Theres also the issue when you take highly skilled migrants in (i.e doctors, engineers, scientists) you have effectively denied their country of origin this resource and as a result made the country of origins situation even worse.

Immigration isn't bad if its controlled and regulated, mindless immigration however is fucking stupid.

Whoever wrote that article needs to get fired, dear god the formatting is bad.
Nope, economists have shown that even unskilled immigrants create jobs more than they take them. They increase demand, thus opening up more jobs. He may take that farm job, but he and his family need food so thats more demand, they need medical care and that's demand, they'll want transportation, education, eventually leisure goods when/if they can afford those, all of which are things that bring jobs to the natives. Jobs making and selling, service jobs, medical jobs, etc... better jobs than that immigrant took.

Nope, economists have shown that even unskilled immigrants create jobs more than they take them. They increase demand, thus opening up more jobs. He may take that farm job, but he and his family need food so thats more demand, they need medical care and that's demand, they'll want transportation, education, eventually leisure goods when/if they can afford those, all of which are things that bring jobs to the natives. Jobs making and selling, service jobs, medical jobs, etc... better jobs than that immigrant took.

And yet, Italy is still stagnating and Greece has entered a death spiral. And then there's the issue of immigration being used as a wedge against the welfare state like in the UK, as well as it turning politics into a dumpster fire filled with radioactive waste, like... much of Europe.

And yet, Italy is still stagnating and Greece has entered a death spiral. And then there's the issue of immigration being used as a wedge against the welfare state like in the UK, as well as it turning politics into a dumpster fire filled with radioactive waste, like... much of Europe.
Places run by those "always a failure" anti-immigrant politicians I mentioned. Also, Greece's problem was it's complete and total lack of enforcement when it came to tax evasion. The biggest problem with immigrants is how bigots manage to lie about them.

Reactions: EiC
Places run by those "always a failure" anti-immigrant politicians I mentioned. Also, Greece's problem was it's complete and total lack of enforcement when it came to tax evasion. The biggest problem with immigrants is how bigots manage to lie about them.

Except Italy has been in the doldrums since 2000 and even under pro immigration politicians like renzi there hasn't been this boom.

Meanwhile like it or not immigration politics is a dumpster fire that has seen politicians who respond to this with "stfu bigots" getting consistently crushed in elections along with mainstream parties moving further right (see: Sebastian kurz and macron as well as Australia*) and to tell the truth "we are all global citizens that are one with the world" has never really been the norm and a polity based around infinite inclusiveness is not long for the world.

*their reaction to ICE has been [laughs in John howard and Kevin rudd] since 1995

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom