What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

I didn't realize 84.5% of the population means Irish people aren't the majority in their own country. Sure, there's only about 5 million people in Ireland but all that means is that the population is not that dense compared to the UK.
If you want to be technical then speakers of "Irish" Gaelic (we should probably just call it gaelic at this point) ARE a minority in their own country. Last monoglot died in the 90's and I think only 5-10% use it as a everyday language.
I wasn't, actuly. I'm not supprised, you understand. But, no, what I was talking about was the number of Old School Irish. That figure, from what I've been told, is everybody born to Irish Citizens, and the figure for people who are of old Irish in every way, is closer to 60%.

Now that I'm actuly looking into it, I'm not quite as sure. I could still be right, as my source is an Irish guy, but still.

I'm still not expecting any violence. If you can't work up any force when both Gay Marrage and Abortion are both in play, well, your faith and blood isn't there. The Irish have been de-balled.

Riiiiight. It's been decades pundits explain us the EU is always on the verge of collapse. What was the saying? One good kick in the door and the rotten house will collapse? *rolls eyes*

And here we have Dunning-Kruger in action. :)

By the way, how are your factories going to work when they produce parts for European factories using other parts coming from Europe, when your food comes from Europe and when the rest of the planet laughs at Britannia while suggesting trade deals that are infinitely worse than anything UK could and did obtain with them through EU membership?

Your country's wealth doesn't come from your 'practical, physical, job', because Indian and Chinese workers do more, better and cheaper. It comes from all the high value jobs that pay for your lifestyle and on which you spit. The jobs that your silly decision will fuck over, bringing UK back to a country with no comparative advantage, uncompetitive industry, bad diplomatic situation and without much to offer.
Australian.

I wasn't, actuly. I'm not supprised, you understand. But, no, what I was talking about was the number of Old School Irish. That figure, from what I've been told, is everybody born to Irish Citizens, and the figure for people who are of old Irish in every way, is closer to 60%.

Now that I'm actuly looking into it, I'm not quite as sure. I could still be right, as my source is an Irish guy, but still.

I'm still not expecting any violence. If you can't work up any force when both Gay Marrage and Abortion are both in play, well, your faith and blood isn't there. The Irish have been de-balled.

Australian.
Or maybe the Irish don't actually have an issue with Gay Marriage or Abortion rights, you pretentious racist twat. What do you define as Irish? Just pure Celts? In that case a good number of folks in Scotland are Irish, since that's the origin of the Scots. Do you count the Old English who went native over a thousand years ago? How about the Scots-Irish who've likewise been there for centuries and are the majority of Protestants while still invoking Cu Chulainn and other legends of Ulster? Where do you draw the line?

Or maybe the Irish don't actually have an issue with Gay Marriage or Abortion rights, you pretentious racist twat. What do you define as Irish? Just pure Celts? In that case a good number of folks in Scotland are Irish, since that's the origin of the Scots. Do you count the Old English who went native over a thousand years ago? How about the Scots-Irish who've likewise been there for centuries and are the majority of Protestants while still invoking Cu Chulainn and other legends of Ulster? Where do you draw the line?
obviously the only true Irish are the Formareans

obviously the only true Irish are the Formareans
The Firbolg were there first

Anyway: the only thing in Ireland that's been De-balled is the Church, and that's a good thing since they were using those balls for things they aren't supposed to.

I thought you said forerunners for a moment.
Formoreans: a race of mythical sea giants ruled by Balor of the Evil Eye who invade Ireland in the pseudohistorical "lebor gabála érenn". May or may not be based in actual stories of Viking incursions. Defeated by the Tuatha, they settle down and interbreed with the people of Ireland, producing among others the hero-god-whatever Lugh, and through him Setanta/Cu Chulainn

The Irish mythological cycles are essentially a constant refrain of "group invades, regardless of who wins, they stay and assimilate, becoming Irish"

Edit: notice how even in their cultural mythology there's no respect or desire for ethnic purity.

Last edited:
Oh, and about this two months before the UK is leaving ? Make it about 30 days, as it is the number of working days the Commons will have.

Capture d’écran 2019-01-30 à 19.07.15.png
So the clock is tickling even faster.

Oh, and about this two months before the UK is leaving ? Make it about 30 days, as it is the number of working days the Commons will have.
Make it 20, the last two weeks will be too late for anything, we all need to make a firm decision and prepare a bit ahead of the actual armageddon. The common market cannot go to sleep on March 28th thinking "ok, let's see tomorrow what will happen to our UK trade."
Actually, it seems from the relative calm that most businesses still think that there will be a deal, otherwise they ought to by now run around in circles with big signs spelling "DOOM!" I hope that is not just continental culture profoundly misunderstanding UK aristocracy :(

kD4eTbe.png

Also…
LONDON (Reuters) - British officials have revived Cold War emergency plans to relocate the royal family should there be riots in London if Britain suffers a disruptive departure from the European Union next month, two Sunday newspapers reported.

"These emergency evacuation plans have been in existence since the Cold War, but have now been repurposed in the event of civil disorder following a no-deal Brexit," the Sunday Times said, quoting an unnamed source from the government's Cabinet Office, which handles sensitive administrative issues.

The Mail on Sunday also said it had learnt of plans to move the royal family, including The Queen, to safe locations away from London.

I can understand them planning for it, but really ? It is Lizzy we are talking about here, not Trump; the chance she would actually agree to be evacuated when her country is in need of a figure they can look at would be… rather low in my opinion.

Also…

I can understand them planning for it, but really ? It is Lizzy we are talking about here, not Trump; the chance she would actually agree to be evacuated when her country is in need of a figure they can look at would be… rather low in my opinion.
It's for the rioters' sake.

Britain to repeat its Brexit offer loudly and slowly until the foreigners get it

Nissan has confirmed it is abandoning plans to build a new model of one of its flagship vehicles at its Sunderland plant, as it warned that uncertainty over Brexit was affecting businesses.

The Japanese car manufacturer announced in 2016 it would be making the new version of the X-Trail SUV at the factory in north-east England after receiving assurances about Brexit from the government, but on Sunday it said it would be produced in Japan.

Nissan said it had taken the decision "for business reasons" but warned that Brexit was having an impact, saying: "The continued uncertainty around the UK's future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future."
Who could have seen it coming?!

A bit disappointing that they're moving it to Japan. Moving it to the EU would make a better point ;)
Should, but they might not think that their existing facilities in Spain or Russia and Egypt for the non-EU nearby ones, have the needed capacity, nor it'd worth spending money on them. Especially as their relationship with Renault, and the French government is kinda shaky at the moment.

In other car related news:

The Independent said:
UK car industry pleads for Brexit deal as investment collapses by half in 2018

Sean O'Grady @_seanogrady
Thursday 31 January 2019 00:21

Investment in the British car industry fell by 50 per cent in 2018 as firms held back spending due to Brexit-related uncertainty.

In 2018, production for UK car exports to China slumped 24.5 per cent, while EU demand fell by 9.6 per cent, less steep than the decline at home, with registrations of British-built cars in the UK down 20.9 per cent in the year.

Overall, EU27 countries still accounted for the vast majority of UK exports (52.6 per cent) – amounting to 650,628 cars.

source

reality has a Project Fear bias

And in the latest stupidity, at least 2500 morons put up a petition on Parliament's website to make Ireland join the UK again.

The Irish of course, have not been consulted and are not amused.

Back
Top Bottom