What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

The Brexit bill or as it's officially called the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 is now law. The final step is the EU Parliament ratifying the Brexit divorce deal.

Well it was a wild and at times seemingly endless ride.

Farewell and thanks for all the memes Brits!

Reactions: EiC
No, that's the season afterwards. The next season is 'Yes, Commissionner', as Global Britain ends up having to follow Brussels' orders without having a say in these.

This implies that the 10 headed- 20 tiny brained hydra that is the EU can give any sort of coherent orders to anyone :p

....\

Which makes it even scarier in retrospect?

So Brexit has happened. It's funny. Never thought it would actually happen until that recent UK general election.

I am glad to be the first here to welcome the European Union's newest protectorate. Live long and apply directives.

pojmbON.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad to be the first here to welcome the European Union's newest protectorate. Live long and apply directives.

pojmbON.jpg
That can only happen so long as no one tells Trumpy that the UK has oil. He'll have marines bivouacked at his golf course before you can say "bone spurs" (with the rates to house the troops going sky high, naturally).

That can only happen so long as no one tells Trumpy that the UK has oil. He'll have marines bivouacked at his golf course before you can say "bone spurs" (with the rates to house the troops going sky high, naturally).
You say that.. but the oil is off Scotland. If we take the meme to the logical end, it means the poor Scots get annexed by the Grand USA. As if Cromwell wasn't bad enough for them.

Cromwell could find Scotland on a map. Trump? Not so sure.
No, he's very aware of Scotland. He's been feuding with them for decades. To the extent of banning their whiskey in his hotels.

First consequence of Brexit… 24-17. Good thing they got new passport hey ?

Sorry, just couldn't resist 😛

And second consequence: Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims | Politics | The Guardian
The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

The Observer has learned that the Spanish government has insisted on reference to the Rock in the EU's opening negotiating position, which will be published in draft form on Monday.

Boris Johnson will be presented with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar's future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing it outside any EU-UK trade deal.
Go Spain! Death to colonialism! :D

And nothing much whatsoever will change for the average Briton.
Maybe not during the transition period, but after… of course it depend of your definition of average Briton.

I think that in relative terms you may be right. I think their economy will get worse (slowly, UK's economy is big so it has big inertia) but so will the economy of the remaining EU. I don't have much faith in our glorious Brussels bureaucrats, I think they're seriously disconnected from the reality on the ground, especially the one reigning in Central, North-Eeast and Southern Europe. I am a convinced eternal Euro-optimist at heart and I am actually worried about the future of EU. I like the principle, I'm beginning to lose faith in its execution.

I think that in relative terms you may be right. I think their economy will get worse (slowly, UK's economy is big so it has big inertia) but so will the economy of the remaining EU. I don't have much faith in our glorious Brussels bureaucrats, I think they're seriously disconnected from the reality on the ground, especially the one reigning in Central, North-Eeast and Southern Europe. I am a convinced eternal Euro-optimist at heart and I am actually worried about the future of EU. I like the principle, I'm beginning to lose faith in its execution.

I think that this OMGBREXITOMG thing is a classic example of something that matters to elites, not to ordinary people so much, but which is stirred up by said elites into a gigantic cosmic issue so as to get the ordinary people on their side.

The pro- and anti-Brexit propaganda has been so ridiculous that you know that it's being heavily artificially stoked. If it were really of direct concern to the masses, you wouldn't have to do this stuff.

I think that this OMGBREXITOMG thing is a classic example of something that matters to elites, not to ordinary people so much, but which is stirred up by said elites into a gigantic cosmic issue so as to get the ordinary people on their side.

The pro- and anti-Brexit propaganda has been so ridiculous that you know that it's being heavily artificially stoked. If it were really of direct concern to the masses, you wouldn't have to do this stuff.
Yes, of course, we know that your "superior" education already managed to solve the issues of NHS understaffing and dependency on foreign workers, or the just-in-time logistics of the British industry which is heavily integrated with the EU, or the financial passport of the City, all of this without becoming just a nice little protectorate of the Union. Yeah, of course.

How about you leave serious questions to people who actually studied a bit, mmkay? In the meantime, we hope the British will appreciate executing EU directives and regulations for the time being. :)

Yes, of course, we know that your "superior" education already managed to solve the issues of NHS understaffing and dependency on foreign workers, or the just-in-time logistics of the British industry, or the financial passport of the City. Yeah, of course.

How about you leave serious questions to people who actually studied a bit, mmkay?

How about you treat other people's opinions with respect, instead of being a dick?

There will be fluctuations, internal shifts, probably a decline in the short term, but there is quite unlikely to be permanent damage.

Jesus man, if Azerbaijan and Belarus could cope with the massive economic upheaval caused by the breakup of the Soviet Union, which was an order of magnitude of 10 more integrated than the EU, I should certainly hope that the UK can handle leaving a trade zone.

How about you treat other people's opinions with respect, instead of being a dick?
Let me check said opinions:
Yeah, well, I gave them the respect they required. :)
Jesus man, if Azerbaijan and Belarus could cope with the massive economic upheaval caused by the breakup of the Soviet Union, which was an order of magnitude of 10 more integrated than the EU, I should certainly hope that the UK can handle leaving a trade zone.
By calling the EU a "trade zone", you're already showing that you need to do a LOT of homework before your opinion can be considered in any way or shape worthy of more than laughter. :)

Back
Top Bottom