What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...r-new-brexit-referendum-hammond-idUSKCN1RO1EG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The idea of a second Brexit referendum is very likely to be put before Britain's parliament again although the government remains opposed to any new plebiscite, the British finance minister said on Friday.

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond leaves Downing Street in London, Britain April 10, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay/File Photo
Philip Hammond said he hoped parliament would break the Brexit impasse by passing a deal by the end of June, potentially ending the calls for a new referendum, and there was a "good chance" of a breakthrough in talks with the opposition Labour Party.
"I remain optimistic that over the next couple of months we will get a deal done," he told reporters in Washington where he is attending meetings at the International Monetary Fund.

* Vroom,Vroom!*

From Slovak press...
2019-03-28-MayovejSlucka-e1553814328242.jpg

Very interesting interview of our ambassador to the US, who retired today:
"When they say 'America first', it's America alone," Araud said in an interview with the Guardian. "Basically, this president and this administration don't have allies, don't have friends. It's really [about] bilateral relationships on the basis of the balance of power and the defence of narrow American interest."

He cautioned the UK against expecting any special treatment from Washington in post-Brexit trade talks, predicting that the administration would force London to accept US imports on US terms, such as looser standards for genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

"They [the Trump administration] are not thinking in terms of multilateral cooperation first. And secondly, they don't have any affection towards the Europeans. They treat Europeans the way they treat the Chinese," Araud said. "And when the British come for a free-trade agreement, there will be blood on the walls and it will be British blood. It will be GMOs breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Araud has been France's ambassador to Washington since 2014, and before that was the country's envoy to the UN and to Israel, and the foreign ministry's director for strategic affairs, security and disarmament.
(bolding mine)

he's not wrong, tho the world needs to get over gmophobia, at this point it's like 90% blatant protectionism and lies
What? No. Its the highest of fallacies that defends GMOs, the worst of which is direct comparisons of GMOs to selective breeding over time. And higher production GMOs require more water and industrial fertilizer for maximum utilization, and it has already gotten to the point of soil mining. Especially with massive monocropping practiced, apparently, for no other reason than to maximize use of oil.

And dont get me started on the "milk" and "cheese" practices that have been allowed. Only the Chinese are worse.

What? No. Its the highest of fallacies that defends GMOs, the worst of which is direct comparisons of GMOs to selective breeding over time. And higher production GMOs require more water and industrial fertilizer for maximum utilization, and it has already gotten to the point of soil mining. Especially with massive monocropping practiced, apparently, for no other reason than to maximize use of oil.
"GMO the technique" you have a problem with a products features then don't buy it, they'll make a better one you will buy.
this is like screaming about how your car isn't hand made
the other wider problems are simple matters of some places not being good to farm

Let's be fucking honest, the treatment of Greece by the EU did far more to shatter its own idealism than anything the CHUDs could ever do.
But Balerion, Loansharking entire nations is totally legit and not shady at all.

There's a Belgian film-maker. Lode Desmet, that made a two-hour documentary called 'Brexit: Behind Closed Doors', which was shown on BBC. Desmet had exclusive access to Guy Verhofstadt, so it's (mostly?) from the point of view of Europe's mounting frustrations and crumbling respect for the UK.

Anyone here watch it? I'm going by descriptions—I haven't yet because it's two hours and it's not yet the time of the day when I can spend it freely.
BBC said:
Episode one watches as the Europeans' respect for a formidable negotiating opponent turns into frustration and incredulity as the British fail to present a united front. At moments funny and tragic, it ends with the debacle in December 2017 when Theresa May flies in to Brussels to finalise details of a deal and is publically humiliated by her coalition partner, Arlene Foster of the DUP, who refuses to support the deal.

Episode two follows the rollercoaster events from December 2017 to the present day. Europe watches on incredulously as divisions in the British parliament and cabinet become more bitter and leave the talks paralysed. Eighteen months after the referendum, Britain still does not know what it wants and spends more time discussing internally than negotiating with Europe. Respect for Britain turns to irritation and finally ridicule.
Right now, and for about a month, it's available on BBC site [Part 1] [Part 2], though of course also on youtube if anyone cares to search for the name, which I'm not linking because of highly dubious copyright kosherness.

For entertainment value, I choose to believe that the cut-off Claire Fox quote is complaining about the British Democratic Party being too left-wing.

"June Mummery" Now that I have ASOIAF's definition of mummery, I'm wondering whats coming in June

"June Mummery" Now that I have ASOIAF's definition of mummery, I'm wondering whats coming in June
If Queen Elizabeth burns down Parlaiment with a firebreathing corgi and declares a new Absolute Monarchy I vote we applaud and negotiate with her to fully integrate Britain in the EU.

Edit: I'm in a bit of a foul mood given how recalcitrant my employer is about getting EU funding. You're already switching passports to retain access to the common market why are you so reluctant about grabbing some other benefits too?😤

Farage has been spattered with a milkshake. He will be pressing assault charges, and has declared that Remainers have become radicalized threats.

Guess he won't have to worry about people asking him what it means that studies are showing how that racism and hate crimes have been steadily climbing in the the UK post Brexit. More important scaremongering to talk about.

Apparently May is dangling a Referendum carrot above the goats, promising a magic unicorn if they accept her bill.

FFS, just get the second referendum out already, and let us laugh at Farage when we vote to stay in.

BREAKING: Theresa May announces her resignation
Theresa May has announced she will step down as UK Prime Minister, after three bruising years that saw her fail to deliver Brexit.
May said Friday she would quit as leader of the Conservative Party on Friday June 7.
Her announcement triggers the start of a contest to replace her as Conservative leader and Prime Minister.

I would say it's either too late, or too soon.

BREAKING: Theresa May announces her resignation
Theresa May has announced she will step down as UK Prime Minister, after three bruising years that saw her fail to deliver Brexit.
May said Friday she would quit as leader of the Conservative Party on Friday June 7.
Her announcement triggers the start of a contest to replace her as Conservative leader and Prime Minister.

I would say it's either too late, or too soon.

Too late. Way way too late.

Hanging on to the damn chair by your fingernails is not healthy during historical occasions like this. She should of resigned the moment she botched the post referandum election./

On the flipside Boris only gets ashes for his political ambitions./

Last edited:
So now what? We have to deal with Boris Johnson?

To be honest I can get where she's coming from and I do get the impression she honestly tried her best to manage the mess. However, it appears to me that she thought the UK had a strong position to negotiate from, that she had a chance to be remembered as a sterling PM. Only it dawned on her quite quickly during said negotiations that the only outcomes for the UK ranged from 'bad' to 'terrible' and ever since she's been running damage control.

To be honest I can get where she's coming from and I do get the impression she honestly tried her best to manage the mess. However, it appears to me that she thought the UK had a strong position to negotiate from, that she had a chance to be remembered as a sterling PM. Only it dawned on her quite quickly during said negotiations that the only outcomes for the UK ranged from 'bad' to 'terrible' and ever since she's been running damage control.
the UK chose poorly(Brexit)

Well, and the fact that she appeared to be not right in the head. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, or so it has been said, but Brexit has been:

May: Hey, how about this deal!
Parliament: No.
May: OK! Uh, how about the same deal?
Parliament: No!
May: Fine, fine! I will just go back for a different deal. Uh, they said no, so how about the same deal again?
Parliament: Bugger off!
May: Yes. I see. Well, what if I offer to hold a second referendum, but make that contingent on approving the same deal?
Parliament: Go to hell, you crazy old bat!
May: Hmmm... maybe I could offer to resign, but only if you give me what I want?

Her entire philosophy has been to ignore all the claims that the proposal will never be accepted in its current form, and instead she has offered the same bad thing along side various promises that she thinks will sweeten the deal. Except that refusing her offers means that they can still get all those things, but without accepting what they view as a bad deal.

Asking for the same thing over and over again has made May a complete laughing stock. There is no recovery from that.

Back
Top Bottom