What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

you too think Corbyn is an idiot? :p
Worse than an idiot, he is incompetent. Both as an opposition leader and as a politician.

Edit : Seriously how can you not manage to look better and capitalize on May's numerous and gigantic mistakes? Who is probably one of the worst PM the UK has ever seen. Even Cameron looks better and he was the dude to throw you all in that fucking mess.

you too think Corbyn is an idiot? :p
I personally do not think that in is an idiot, far from it. "think" being the keyword here, surely I don't have to be more precise ?

I'm not talking about 1945. But under Blair and a few of his predecessors, the UK was known among the EU as probably the most pragmatic member state. When they joined, it was a — very — pragmatic choice and from that moment, every decision, every vote they made at the EU were very pragmatic in essence. Even their opposition to a more integrated EU was based on a pragmatic understanding of their interests vs. the interests of the Union. Now, we can agree/disagree on various matters, but it doesn't change the fact that they had a very pragmatic view.

Where did it go?

This whole thing isn't pragmatic, it's plain idiocy.

He's even worse than May. Seriously, Blair was a far better leader than all of his successors combined.

If blair had stepped aside in 2001 I'd agree, but iraq and pfi happened and he tainted labour for a decade after he left. The man is more toxic than Chernobyl and if he was front and centre of remain in 2016 leave would have won in a landslide.

If blair had stepped aside in 2001 I'd agree, but iraq and pfi happened and he tainted labour for a decade after he left.
I concur on that point.

if he was front and centre of remain in 2016 leave would have won in a landslide.
It's a possibility but I think it would be ill-advised to make such assertion. I mean, Hillary is also a criticized and yet more people voted for her than Trump.

Public opinion doesn't really have a very good memory. Furthermore, what allowed Leave to win wasn't their political intelligence or the bad rep of Remainers, but the propaganda, lies and misconceptions about the EU prior, during and even after the campaign.

And now, more and more people realized they've been misled by politicians, newspapers, etc.

If blair had stepped aside in 2001 I'd agree, but iraq and pfi happened and he tainted labour for a decade after he left. The man is more toxic than Chernobyl and if he was front and centre of remain in 2016 leave would have won in a landslide.
Well, May and the Tory party will soon start up the worst economic crisis the UK has seen since the Krach. I wonder if that will beat Blair's legacy as a fuck up.

Last edited:
Public opinion doesn't really have a very good memory. Furthermore, what allowed Leave to win wasn't their political intelligence or the bad rep of Remainers, but the propaganda, lies and misconceptions about the EU prior, during and even after the campaign.
And the fact that Remain did fuck all until it was far too late, letting Leave put out that false narrative undisputed.

And the fact that Remain did fuck all until it was far too late, letting Leave put out that false narrative undisputed.
It was in their interest for it to be a close call as a way to push around the EU into giving Britain more advantages.

When you play with fire, it often backfires. Sometimes you just lose an eyebrow or two. Sometimes you get third degree burns.

As @NotArcanist said, Benelux pretty much said no. Germany said no. France said no unless the proposal is deemed serious enough, Italy said "lolnope", Spain said no,.. I don't need to continue, you got the point.
OK, so the continental EU is trying to scare the UK into taking the deal. Trying to scare British aristocrats into using reason... what can go wrong? 😱

OK, so the continental EU is trying to scare the UK into taking the deal. Trying to scare British aristocrats into using reason... what can go wrong? 😱
I'm not sure they're trying to scare the UK. I think they just want to be done with it, take the hit and move on. I might be wrong, though. I don't know what goes through the various government minds.

Furthermore, what allowed Leave to win wasn't their political intelligence or the bad rep of Remainers, but the propaganda, lies and misconceptions about the EU prior, during and even after the campaign.
These, and the fact the referendum itself was biased, not allowing the people who are going to be among the most concerned to express their views, the expatriates.

It was in their interest for it to be a close call as a way to push around the EU into giving Britain more advantages.
And a close call it was indeed.

Trying to scare British aristocrats into using reason...
Since, as far as I can tell, the House of Lords was, after all , rather reasonable on the subject (way more than the Commons anyway), I would say no ?

Well, May and the Tory party will soon start up the worst economic crisis the UK has seen since the Krach. I wonder if that will beat Blair's legacy as a fuck up.
You know what would be funny? Jacob Rees Mogg becomes the candidate, the UK's economy crashes and Corbyn still somehow ends up losing massively to him.

i wonder if it will

Reactions: EiC
Bad kitty is bad!

That would not be fun. At all. :p
I mean I live there, if the Dems elect someone sane who tries to brake the polarisation, I'll probably just say fuck it and move over there.

Sucker bet. x)
I'm quite amazed guys even like Mogg at all, how is he a good candidate again? He's one of the most unlikable politicians in the UK.

I'm not sure they're trying to scare the UK. I think they just want to be done with it, take the hit and move on. I might be wrong, though. I don't know what goes through the various government minds.
OK, another possibility is that they really want it to be over, and don't want to just come out and say "f-u Theresa, we're gone" because then it will be on them. So they've given May an impossible task (considering that she most likely won't get another vote for the deal) and leave her to fail. I don't like her, but I'm sorry for her.

Yeah, this is a belated response of "you want to go, then go!" couched in more flowery words. I doubt that anyone in the EU member states actually thinks that the deal will be somehow ratified, and many would prefer that the split happen as painfully as possible to prevent other members from getting uppity and threatening to leave. Now they will know exactly how painful a split could be.

I'm quite amazed guys even like Mogg at all, how is he a good candidate again? He's one of the most unlikable politicians in the UK.
The answer is pretty simple, like this man aptly put it :

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on and at least this douche seems to have a plan.

Don't you want to move to a civilized country instead?
Too many friends in the US, too many friends.
The answer is pretty simple, like this man aptly put it :

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on and at least this douche seems to have a plan.

he's kinda ugly...like how I imagine a SB looking. :LOL:

Reactions: EiC
Back
Top Bottom