What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (babby) alcohol thread.

King Kūruš

So today, being the annual celebration of my hatching, I am finally of the legally allowed age for drinking beverages that can cause the phenomenon of "being tired and emotional".

So... Any ideas of what should I try to drown myself in? I tried some classy red wine today in some restaurant but I really disliked that obnoxious French bitter taste of it. I had a previous pseudo experience with alcohol from drinking this non-alcoholic Buddhist beer, which while it still had a bitter taste, I much preferred it's lighter feel to wine. So sweet and less fruit-based. Do as you like for your suggestions with that information.
(Crossposting from SB here.)

A Screwdriver, Vodka n Orange has always been my go to option when going *out* to drink.

Beers regardless the firm always taste like piss, wine leaves a sour aftertaste so perhaps an apple cider for lighter drinking?

So today, being the annual celebration of my hatching, I am finally of the legally allowed age for drinking beverages that can cause the phenomenon of "being tired and emotional".

So... Any ideas of what should I try to drown myself in? I tried some classy red wine today in some restaurant but I really disliked that obnoxious French bitter taste of it. I had a previous pseudo experience with alcohol from drinking this non-alcoholic Buddhist beer, which while it still had a bitter taste, I much preferred it's lighter feel to wine. So sweet and less fruit-based. Do as you like for your suggestions with that information.
Well, depending if you can find it where you are "sweet but less fruit based" would suggest mead.

If you can find it.
a_to_z_wines_-_travel_oregon.jpg

I have tasted it, I never liked alcohol, but for this I'll make an exception. Much less strong tasting than the French ones, I like it.

If you can find it.
a_to_z_wines_-_travel_oregon.jpg

I have tasted it, I never liked alcohol, but for this I'll make an exception. Much less strong tasting than the French ones, I like it.
French wines can be an issue for new drinkers. Many of them are created with the understanding that the consumer knows the appropriate length of time to decant them, and won't be drinking them right from bottle to glass.

As for me, it depends on the occasion....
On hot summer days, i prefer a nice cold cider with some ice. If i have some tasty pork roast, i prefer some dark beer. The malty flavor fits perfectly.

If i have some visitors and i don´t have to drive, some ice-cold Apfelkorn hits the spot. It also breaks the ice.
On Christmas i like to serve my guests some sparkling sake as substitute for sparkling wine or champaign.

Once in a while i like a nice glass of wine.

However, my overall consumption of alcohol is very limited. Most of the time i prefer water for quenching my thirst.

As for me, it depends on the occasion....
On hot summer days, i prefer a nice cold cider with some ice. If i have some tasty pork roast, i prefer some dark beer. The malty flavor fits perfectly.

If i have some visitors and i don´t have to drive, some ice-cold Apfelkorn hits the spot. It also breaks the ice.
On Christmas i like to serve my guests some sparkling sake as substitute for sparkling wine or champaign.

Once in a while i like a nice glass of wine.

However, my overall consumption of alcohol is very limited. Most of the time i prefer water for quenching my thirst.
Had not been aware of apfelkorn, but it sounds like something that would be very much to my taste. I like sweet things, and apple flavored things in general, and it's less potent than applejack, but more potent than cidre.

Had not been aware of apfelkorn, but it sounds like something that would be very much to my taste. I like sweet things, and apple flavored things in general, and it's less potent than applejack, but more potent than cidre.

Apfelkorn has around 20 %. Especially when served ice-cold, it´s very crisp and refreshing.
There are other producers, who made a Apfelkorn with less Alcohol, but their flavor is somewhat lacking.

A little tip: Take a Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream and pour over some Apfelkorn.
Taste´s fantastic.

Cider is already enough to cause headache so i don't drink alcohol stronger than that.
Headaches aren't just a function of alcohol content - other chemicals in the beverage (that are generally fermentation by-products) are strong contributors. If you've ever heard of a red wine hangover, you'll know what I'm talking about. I don't know about cider's composition, but the purer the alcohol you imbibe, the less of these byproducts you drink and thus the milder the hangover. So something like decent-quality vodka (Luksusowa is my go-to, being inexpensive and fairly smooth) or even pure grain alcohol like Everclear will allow you to reach the same levels of intoxication that you might seek with cider but with a more pleasant morning.

That said, I'm a beer drinker. I'll put up with the fact that it's going to be worse the next morning and just try to drink less because they taste really good. Pilsners, IPAs, stouts, wits, IPAs, dubbels, tripels, IPAs, bocks and IPAs. I think I'm going to hit up the beer store after I go to Lowes this morning. (Don't worry, I'll drink beer after I'm done using power tools.)

Headaches aren't just a function of alcohol content - other chemicals in the beverage (that are generally fermentation by-products) are strong contributors. If you've ever heard of a red wine hangover, you'll know what I'm talking about. I don't know about cider's composition, but the purer the alcohol you imbibe, the less of these byproducts you drink and thus the milder the hangover. So something like decent-quality vodka (Luksusowa is my go-to, being inexpensive and fairly smooth) or even pure grain alcohol like Everclear will allow you to reach the same levels of intoxication that you might seek with cider but with a more pleasant morning.

That said, I'm a beer drinker. I'll put up with the fact that it's going to be worse the next morning and just try to drink less because they taste really good. Pilsners, IPAs, stouts, wits, IPAs, dubbels, tripels, IPAs, bocks and IPAs. I think I'm going to hit up the beer store after I go to Lowes this morning. (Don't worry, I'll drink beer after I'm done using power tools.)

Hmm, very interesting.
So, depending on the type of beer, such byproducts such as Fusel Alcohol can mess you up pretty good...
I´ve experienced it on a trip to japan some years ago, when i´ve drunk a few cans of japanese brewed "Munich-Style" Bock Beers.
The taste was good but next Morning wasn´t pleasent.....
And yes, the higher quality the alcohol, the less "side-effects" you will experience. For me, Cider is such a alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom