What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Arrival (An Earth and Sky Story)

Jakarta

Cutest Mod
The billowing black smokestacks of the liner was the only thing I could see. It is the only sight of importance that I want to see, especially with the ocean all around me, and will continue to be around me until I reach my destination.

I only sat down and contemplated, the thought of the mission that I was assigned towards swirling around my head. Why did I take this mission in the first place? It seemed quite the foolish choice now, with the information of the place I'm going all the more apparent to me, but considering the reward I would get, I... ugh, it seemed like an offer too good to pass up back then, still is really.

I eventually grabbed a seat, looking at the scenery to pass the time, almost falling into an afternoon nap when someone woke me up.

I shook my head and turned my head. Seeing a man with the most dapper of outfits looking at me.

"My oh my, what do we have here?" He said. "A woman of African Descent I suppose?"

I only ignored him and started walking away. The last thing I want right now is a confrontation with a white man, fighting a white person when I'm about to arrive on my destination is not a recipe that would resonate well with the authorities there. Well, assuming that the authorities themselves aren't already clouded by their perception of me.

"Please, madam! I mean no ill will!" The dapper looking man said. "It is just quite unusual seeing a woman of your... phenotype, I suppose? going into the place we're going to."

"Good Sir." I responded, turning my face towards him. "If you have no ill will, then do not mention anything about phenotypes or race. I did not come to this boat just to be gawked at."

I then turned my head around and walked, leaving the man behind. Being gawked at by white people, while it was fun the first couple of times, it got old, tiring, and really annoying once the years go by and the need to explain to them to stop gawking at me was becoming more routine. This is without mentioning the racists who run the place that I call home for a while now, disgusting bunch of people.

Nonetheless, I went back to my room, opened the window, and decided that I have enough for today. I had some breakfast, played some games with the ladies, much to their chagrin, but I couldn't care less of what they thought of me, and stared at the smoke stacks of the ship. Not much to do when you're traveling as far as I am.

I changed my clothes to my night gown, and, with the sea air billowing through the window. I feel asleep.
I woke up.

I dreamt of adventures that long past by, times when I fought soldiers, creatures, beasts of legends, helped people improve their lives. All of that in the past for now, in a past that I wish I only had a bigger hand playing.

Ah, what the hell, I'm always a runner anyway. Whenever I felt that the people had had enough of me, I ran away. Even if they still wanted my leadership. I always ran away, taking my husband with me whenever I go. I always, always ran away.

And god, fucking gods to demons do I hate it. We came, we saw, we helped, and then we flee. It's... disgusting cycle, a cycle I hope will break sometime soon. But It's a cycle that I seem to keep repeating over and over and over.

And now, it seems that I'm doing the same thing. Running away again, just when my husband needed me the most.

I changed to my night clothes, the time is around 4:45 AM. It is quite late, but it'll do, do some early morning exercises and hopefully, I'll arrive at the city, recover the object, and leave the city with no one the wiser.

I looked at my luggages, a bunch of stuff stored inside the closet of the ship. Mostly just clothing and other items I bought with me for my memories' sake. I am not sure at how I will proceed with the mission, I don't know any points of contacts within the place I'm going to, and it seems that recovering the objective seems to require some form of networking with the locals, locals that may or may not be too bigoted to even talk to me.

But, a mission's a mission. So I changed into my exercise clothing, did some early running jogs within the bow of the ship, took a short shower, and waited for the sun to rise. I'm going to need all the energy and all the vitality I have in order to recover it.

Hmm, now that I thought about it. What should I do? I don't think the man who gave me that mission even hopes for a recovery, especially from someone of... my background.

"So, Madam. I'm sorry for the provocation yesterday. I am just not very aware of the special... circumstances your people encountered."

Oh, this man again. Turning my head towards him, I only stared at him blankly, hoping, sincerely hoping that he would disappear and not bother me forever. Seriously, what are his intentions bothering me out of all people?

Well, I guess I must return the favour at least, maybe chalking up a conversation with him may get him to walk away.

"Yes, special would be underestimating it." I replied. "Good sir, just what is your name anyway?"

"I am Killinger, Peter Killinger madam." He replied. "And what about you?"

"Eve, just call me Eve." I replied.

"Oh, just like in the bible I see. Did... your parents name you because of the bible?"

"Well, I haven't asked my parent for a long time. But I suppose. Now, dear sir, just what motivates you to keep bothering me from yesterday? does having someone of my background really fascinates you to such an extent?"

"Oh dear madam, of course!" He replied. "I am interested in learning many things! particularly with people, I am just absolutely fascinated with how people interact, the different cultures, norms, and traditions! ugh, and meeting someone as exotic as you! well. How could I not indulge myself?"

I only gave a laugh as the man finished explaining the whole thing. "Well, I suppose there is some wisdom in learning from other cultures. I... doubt that those cultures would reciprocate."

"Oh, of course! Isn't it obvious, I understand the many, many difficulties your people encounter during these last few decades, and I am more than willing to do my part to help you get on your feet! well, at least for your case. You seem rather well to do yourself madam."

"Yes, yes I am."

Oh by the gods, this man is so unnerving. I wouldn't mind a conversation with him, but his 'fascination' with those other people groups seemed to veer almost too far. But, perhaps I might have some use for him.

"Mister Killinger. If I may, would you be interested in learning more about the people I came from?"

"Oh, of course madam! I would move heaven and earth to do it!" He replied. Smiling at the opportunity.

"Then would you help me pass immigration then? give me your recommendation and make sure the immigration officer does not commit any grave crimes against me, oh, and also, some lodgings while I get myself acquainted to this new land."

A slight pause from Killinger's voice suggested some hesitancy, but he came through. "But of course! I do have a house in the city where we are arriving. And with my recommendation, I am sure the officer would pass you through, easily!"

"Good, because I think that."

A blaring horn from the ship gave me the cue.

"That we are arriving at our destination. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

"Ah, the Americas! the land of opportunity! opportunities to learn new cultures! to sample the cuisine, to understand their norms! oh, such a wonderful place!"

I only rolled my eyes as the ship slowly makes It's way towards the port. The mission begins now.
port01.gif

"Papers please. Papers!" The immigration official sounded. He looked at the paperwork and gave the couple in front of me a pass, hopefully he won't give me too much trouble. I am only here to recover the item and move out, no intention on staying in the United States out of all places, my conversations with the person who gave me this task seems to indicate that this place wouldn't treat people of my race rather well. Regardless, I still have a job to do, and passing immigration is going to be my first task.

"You, n****, papers, now! assuming you have them." The man said, I only complied and gave him a slip of paper, as well as a recommendation from my employer to him. Hopefully it should go through, but if it doesn't. Then, well I do have his help, might as well use it for all It's worth.

The man checked my paperwork. As he was looking at my official documentation, I noticed a couple of things from him. He has a rather chiseled jawline and a tired face, beautiful blue eyes that is shadowed by his tired and baggy eyes. His body form seems to be slumped a little bit, probably tiredness, or perhaps it is deliberate, not too sure myself. There are also multiple scars on his face, probably indicating that he's a war veteran or something. A Civil War Veteran perhaps? maybe, I also noticed a strand of blonde hair eeking out of his hat, and the stench of body odour from him is quite something else. Definitely not a man that you would want to make an enemy towards, not right now.

"Alright Miss Eve." The man finally said. "Why are you here in the United States of America? the paperwork here seems to indicate that you are British Citizen, however unlikely that may be."

"Yes, I am here to recover an object of my master, the Earl of Clarendon. A Sir Arthur Hollywell." I replied. "He seems to forget some items in his estate, and he dispatched me to recover several items of his."

"And what sort of items did he forgot?" The official asked.

"A chalice and some toys for his children that he forgot." I replied. "The duke has... many children, and keeping itinery of his toys is quite taxing."

The official was about to ask another question, opening his mouth and just let out one sentence before he was interrupted by another man.

"Dear Sir! Would you please move it along? Please don't harass this lady too much. She only requests a simple passage! Is that too much to ask for?"

Ah, Peter. Just the right time for an intervention. It seems that I may have to keep my part of the bargain.

"Sir, please don't disrupt the official business of a US Immigration Officer, we are here in order to maintain law and order, and to ensure that the United States is not overrun with vagrants and too much of the n**** race. We already have enough problems with n****** within the United States, and we don't need any more of them right now."

"Sir, if I may voice my thoughts. This good lady would only be within the United States for a short time only. She is here only to gather toys and other trinkets for her master. And, well, please do look at the line Officer, I am sure that you're tired. Letting just one n**** would not be too problematic would it? especially a civilized n**** woman like her."

God I despise that phrase. Regardless, I would need to keep it cool for now. Hopefully this convinces the man to let me in, lest this mission of mine would be dead before it even started.

Unless... unless...

"Fine, Miss Eve, you're in!" He said, formally opening the gates and giving me back my passport. "Just stay in the United States until you get your trinkets back!"

I only give a muted nod and entered the gates, finally clearing immigration and now waiting for this Peter Killinger man to be let in. That immigration officer seems to be rather tired, might be a little bit too tired to ask too many questions. So with that in mind, I only waited for Killinger to get the Green Light, and sure enough. Just moments after I went in, I saw Killinger's now excited face approaching me with his bags on his side. This face, I've only seen it a few times, but it is a face that I've only seen whenever someone is interested in something.

"Alright, you are in, I am in, and now. Let us go to my house and learn more about you!" He said, now dragging my hand as we walked throughout the Philadelphia cityscape.
We arrived at his house. And it is quite larger than I expected, significantly larger. It has a rather immaculate front garden, and just a couple blocks from his house. There is quite an eclectic view of the harbour as well.

This Mister Killinger opened the keys to his house, and welcomed me inside his house. "Please, please come in!" He said, entering the house and finally resting on top of the sofa in the living room.

"Are you tired?" I asked. "You seem to be rather winded from the whole journey."

"Oh please! it is of no consequence Miss Eve. We Killingers have a history of making sure our guests are well taken care of, and considering your offer. Please, stay in this house for as long as you would like Miss Eve! a woman of your background would certainly have many tales, accounts and stories to tell about your culture. Don't you?"

"Well, yes, I am more than happy to entertain you, but perhaps, our conversation would be best served with some food on the table. Some 'native' food perhaps?"

"Oh, yes! what a wonderful idea! I am not sure if I do have the ingredients necessary to cook some African food though. Spices are a rather expensive commodity here in America."

"Don't worry." I replied, opening my suitcase, and showing him what's inside of it. The Man's facial expression turned from happy to giddy in an instant. He hugged me by the shoulder and all but salivated at the goods inside. Spices, tropical vegetables, tropical fruits, and many, many other ingredients I bought from my home. It wouldn't last forever, but, I did pack my food to last as long as possible.

"Well, Madam Eve. If you would like to do the honours." Killinger said, showing me to the kitchen. "Cook away!"

"Hmm"

In front of me are multiple jars, each of them carrying a sort of spice or cooking ingredient from my place of origin. Oils, spices, the complete works.

"What is it dear madam? is there something that you require?"

"Yes. I do need some meat to marinate and cook. I know that I do have rice, and cooking rice isn't that hard. But, would you be kind enough to buy me some meat? any meat is preferable, but I do like Chicken the most." I then looked at him as his facial expression slowly changed, from interest in my ingredients to a solemn understanding of my needs. His eyebrows are raised, his face drooped down from the almost giddy smile he had just a while ago, and his eyes peered through me like an eagle looking at his prey.

"Alright then! I shall get it for you." He said, walking out of the house immediately afterwards, almost jumping as he walked out of the house. In all my life, I've barely met anyone that could top him off in terms of quirkiness. I swear, someday he will either be the death of me, or my salvation.

Well, enough of him. Might as well prepare the marinate while I wait.

Well, might as well prepare the ingredients to marinate the chicken in the meantime. I readied the spice rub, a mixture of spices within those many jars. Looking at all those ingredients, the curdy texture of the yoghurt mixed with the visibly yellow colouring of the curry powder, as well as the thick brown of the Garam Masala. My face turned soft as I smiled, looked at the various ingredients I've mixed, while I would reason that most people here would think that this is some glorified sludge. This is home for me, the strong but aromatic smell of the spices, the bright yellow colouring of the mixture, the feeling of the mixture coating the meat. Generally all good stuff all around.

With the spice mix finished, I proceeded to try my hand at cooking some rice first, obviously, I washed the rice to clean it, mixing my hands along with the now cloudy waters of the rice, rinsing it, and then filling the rice once more with water. Once finished, I proceeded to grab a pot, a particularly large one that I found in one of the cupboards, filled it with rice, and when all is done, poured the rice into the pot. I smiled as the long grains of the rice formed an almost trickling sound, as if a rain of stones are dropping from the sky as it hits the bottom of the pot. With that over with, I threw down some spices into the pot, and after several lookarounds at the pot. It looks like the rice is ready to be cooked.

I looked at the palm of my hand, and opening the latched door on the stove, found that it was filled with wood. Smiling at myself, I outstretched my hand into the wood, chanted several things, and spontaneously a piece of wood combusted. Is that my first use of magic since I've arrived here? hmm, possibly.

Closing at the latched door, all I can do right now is just wait. The rice is cooking, and it seems that this Killinger person is taking his time to buy the chicken. Might as well put the jars on the cupboards while he is-

"I have arrived!!"

I quickly shifted my head towards the kitchen's entrance, shocked at the sudden announcement, my eyes are wide open, ready to survey any potential threats, even my hands are readying up stored mana in case the person's stupid enough to assault me.

Only to find a Peter Killinger that brought in quite a few ingredients, several vegetables and a whole chicken.

"Worry not milady. For I have arrived." He declared. "I bought you your chicken, as well as other ingredients that might be to your interest."

"By the gods. Killinger, why did you do that? I could've killed you instantly if I were any twitchier."

"Oh, real sorry there miss." He replied. "Just getting this chicken and thought you would've liked it."

"Well, of course I do. But try to make your announcements more grounded. I would've casted a spell on you if you weren't lucky."

"Oh. Is Miss Eve here a mage?" He asked. "Most interesting! I never thought people of the n**** race could cast spells!"

I only rolled my eyes as I grabbed the chicken from Killinger's hand, put it on the table and began cutting it up. Might as well get this over with.
"Well miss Eve. That dish is just wonderfully splendid! I never thought mixing chicken in with a mix of spices like that could taste so good! you have to share your secrets to me."

I continued eating the curry rice, not really giving Killinger any sort of attention. The taste of the curry chicken mixed with the rice is enough to fill my mind with home, or the thought of home anyway. God, I've only been here for barely a day and I'm already missing home already. The people, the food, the sights, the events. All of it.

"Excuse me. Excuse me? Miss Eve?"

I broke out of my food eating trance, now staring up at Mr Killinger again. I turned my eyes downwards, back to my food, and it seems that the plate's empty.

"Oh, sorry. I was too busy eating food. It still tastes amazing even after hundreds of miles out. I'm kind of homesick. Sorry."

"Of course! travelling hundreds of miles out to this strange land. I would feel rather homesick myself." Killinger replied. Smiling at me. "Pray tell, where do you exactly come from madam? you look like a n****, but I can tell that this food isn't from the dark continent."

I cringed whenever he said I am a n****, it seems to be such a casual thing for him as well. Well, Eve, when this mission's finished, I might as well try to make him act a bit more less racist, but considering everything present in this environment. I severely doubt it.

"The question is a bit complicated." I replied. "Yes, I do come from Africa, but I don't necessarily live there anymore. It has been such a long time since I stepped foot in that continent, you might as well label me as an Indian at this point. I left the continent in my travels, and reached the city of Calcutta along with my husband, you can probably guess what happened after that."

"I see. You were once an African Woman, but then you migrated to India, why do you do so? and what is this about becoming a servant to an Englishman?"

"Well, It's a bit more complicated once you add who my master is. But to keep a long story short, there is an agency that I joined during the early days of British rule on the continent, and I was assigned a master. A master that is currently giving me this assignment."

"Ah, yes! that assignment, well. I do not want to be a troublesome individual for you. But perhaps I can show you the lodgings for your stay here. I still remember that little deal we forged a while back."

"Ah, yes." I only nodded my head towards him and we went upstairs. He opened the door and what greeted me was quite something. A table with a mirror in front of it, most likely for storing makeup, a rather spacious bed, with a white immaculate linen fabric covering the mattress. The room itself is quite spacious, with multiple windows overlooking the streets below it, it appears that this Mr Killinger is either quite generous, or he is an abnormality among the British People.

"Well, I suppose I have to thank you for the room Peter. I will make sure that some sort of repayment will be arranged."

"Oh, please please don't. Your knowledge of culture and other exotic aspects of the east is more than enough payment for this room! so please, I will leave you to your devices, and well, I shall see you throughout the house."

He then bid me farewell and closed the door. My facial expression immediately changed as he closed the door, with me visibly smiling for the first time ever since I went through this journey. I unclothed myself, with the illusion spell unveiling my more… revealing clothes that were just underneath an illusion of dresses and suits. I dropped my body straight into the bed, and immediately woke up again. Shoot! there is something that I need to check first.

There is a small suitcase in the room, quite an elongated suitcase with multiple locks around it. For anyone unobserved, this is a quite ordinary suitcase, but once I opened the suitcase, the contents inside were revealed to me.

Yearning. The infamous sword that I've kept ever since that journey, the very sword that has kept me through thick and thin, my other companion other than my husband that is. Quite a powerful little weapon in the hands of the correct user, and no one knows how to use this sword more than myself.

I have been using this sword for thousands of years after all.

Taking Yearning out, putting it aside on the floor, I searched the luggage, where is it, where is it, it has to be here, he wouldn't be dumb enough to- Aha, there it is! A piece of paper from my 'master.'

I opened the slip, and sure enough.

Mother Eve.

I am sure that this letter would be a surprise for you. But please take this well, I am just here to inform you that the Ministry has set up a special contact for you within Philadelphia, she will be your guide throughout the mission, and I can only hope that the Civil Servants at the Ministry has done their jobs well at screening your guide. America poses an… interesting challenge for Ministry activities there.

Look for a person named Carolina Evans. She lives in Northern Philadelphia, somewhere in lower north Philadelphia, she knows the city very well, and is one of the few magicians this town has. Rumour has it she is a Head Witch of a local mage circle, so please do not anger her in any way, shape or form.

We can only hope that whoever stole Excalibur will be brought to justice, one way or the other.

Sincerely.

Arthur Pendragon, 149 Piccadilly, London W1J 7NT, United Kingdom

Ah, typical Arthur, always uptight and never leaves any room for pleasantries in his writing. I can only giggle a little as I read the letter, perhaps he is quite afraid of angering me, considering who I really am. It might be possible, my dear husband always tell me about how I look aloof and rather uncaring for the average person.

Well, at least he has the courtesy of writing me this letter, now I know my contact, and perhaps we can get Arthur's sword as fast as possible. I dropped my body on the bed yet again, and closed my eyes, I've got a date with my contact tonight and I have no intention of letting my sleepiness get a hold of me.

The smog of the factories cloaked the night sky as I ran through the streets of Philadelphia, avoiding the presence of the police whenever I go. This city is vast, much larger than the city I currently live in back home, it has so many winding streets leading to god knows where, with people that I really do not want to meet, particularly at this time of night. But ugh, where is that woman?

This Carolina Evans, she is becoming more and more elusive the longer I search for her, I tried overhearing the local people, no such luck, I tried asking them, the only responses I get were either 'I don't know' or some slur for being of the wrong race, followed by the person shooing me away afterwards. Ugh, why do I have to take this job in the first place, the more I stay here, the more I feel like Arthur assigning me this mission was a mistake.

I stopped, now contemplating at what should I do. There are many options present to me in case I want to search for her, I can just continue walking around in circles around Northern Philadelphia, dodging criminals and other with ill intent over me, yeah, that is not working all too well isn't it. I can do a tracking spell for Carolina Evans, but I need some item that is of high value for her, like a high valued vase or even a piece of clothing, so that is out. I can walk towards the local magic stores, they seem to have plenty of those within Northern Philadelphia, but I am rather afraid at alerting the shop owners, who will then call the authorities, and make this mission even more complicated. Or perhaps…

Arthur claimed that she is apparently part of a Magic Circle, which is a fancy way of saying just a gathering of magicians, witches and mages into one place. Many places have Magic Circles of their own, but I have never personally thought that America has them. Consequently, due to it being a gathering of magic interested individuals, the mana generated by the place of meeting must be quite substantial, I 'felt' it in my skin when I entered the northern city, an increase of magical energy just in general, if I can cast a spell that can track that source of mana. Then perhaps…

My hands trickled with electricity, It's currents arcing through my fingers as my eyes went fully white, tracking spells in general are tough to do, and require large amounts of mana from the user, which is why I'm grateful that my personal reserves of mana are more than enough to do this tracking spell. C'mon c'mon… I thought to myself, as the buildup of mana becomes more intense and I chanted away the words required for the spell.

A brief electric spark flew through the air, as my body 'cooled down' from the chanting, my eyes reverting back from the almost godly white to that of a more regular human, and my hands stopped crackling with electricity. Information of a large mana source suddenly filled my mind, numerous locations, but there is indeed a 'center' within Northern Philadelphia, and… wow, really? that is quite a big pooling of mana.

I ran towards the source, my feet splashing water and hitting cobblestone as I rushed towards the source. For a city this size, there should not be a Magic Circle this big, it must either be some sort of fluke, or possibly…

Well, we'll see about that possibility when I arrive at the place
The building on top of the Magic Circle is definitely an unassuming place, it is a simple antique shop filled with goods from various places Americans most definitely aren't used to. On the glass, standing bold and proud, are the words 'Exotic Goods from Asia and Africa!!'. It looks like your typical antique shop you would find in the streets of London, and perhaps, this is why they would mask it as an Antique Shop. Antique shops are typical cover for a magical circle residing in London, and perhaps the choice was deliberate on the Americans' part.

I opened the door, and the first thing to greet me was a young man waiting at the counter, he seems to be busy wiping the counter and such, didn't notice me until the door closed, closing with a click that notified the person to my presence. He immediately scurried back to the counter, before greeting me promptly.

"Oh, welcome miss! I didn't expect someone to come here tonight. My name's Wilkins, Adam Wilkins, are you interested in anything here?"

"Yes, I just came here to take a look around, see the various antiques that are in store." I replied. Looking around the area, and noticing the various antiques put on display. Heh, a statue of a pharaoh, ok, that surely brings me back, hmmm, an antique toy, wooden, and depicts a knight wearing a horse. Interesting, interesting.

"Do you know any statues from the middle east?" I asked. "I'm sure that an antique shop like yours have some items originating from there."

"Oh, of course! we have items supposedly taken from the Muslim conquests, the Ottoman Empire, even Byzantium. Not… sure why you want that though. That stuff's very expensive lady, something I kinda doubt you would have."

"Oh do not worry. I have more than enough money to buy off this whole store if I wanted to." I replied, something that he only raised an eyebrow as a response.

"Well, do what you want lady. I will just be here, waiting for your purchase I guess."

I only nodded and walked throughout the Antique store, now seemingly to get some trust out of him. Yes, perhaps it is time to make my move.

"Sir."

"Yes?"

"What's below this store? and please, be honest."

"What?"

"Let me say that again. What's below this store? don't try to weasel your way out of this. I know what my senses tell me, and that much accumulation of mana is not natural in just some random part of a city."

"I… I'm sorry lady, I have no idea what you're saying. Mana? what are you talking about? I assure you that we are not a magic shop."

I can tell from the get go that he is lying. The tone of his voice, the biting of his lips, the light sweat dripping off of his eyebrows, on top of his rather frazzled look when I mentioned my findings to him the first time.

"Go downstairs, tell whoever is in charge of this Circle that I want to meet him/ her. I need to talk with the leader. Go."

And just like that, the man bolted right out of my sight, and I heard the quick sounds of foots on stairs afterwards, that veritable click-clack of leather hitting wood. True to his word, he did bring someone back upstairs, and, predictably, that someone brings company alongside him/ her. Looks like a group of mages readying themselves for combat, signs of concealed magic wands, mana buildup at their fingertips, and a pretty fierce face as well. Alright, so they are pretty spooked.

Time to work my magic I guess.

"Hello there. Would you know who Carolina Evans is? I just arrived here in America, and I am looking for her, she is a guide here."

"You are not welcomed here. Get out, now!" One of the mages says, "Anyone who disturbs the convent shall be treated with extreme prejudice!"

I only raised an eyebrow after his threats, he seems rather serious about the entire thing. I can sense his mana pooling up into his fingertips, perhaps ready to fire a spell at me or something. I need to make him calm down, and preferably as fast as possible, gaining the trust of these mages are paramount to my objectives.

"Relax, I have no intent on disturbing this magic circle, I am just here to search for someone. I mean no harm when I asked the shop owner the presence of a large mana pool downstairs."

"Yeah, as if we'd believe you. Any mage that can recognize the presence of a concealed circle as simple as that is a threat, you ain't foolin us lady!"

Oh gods, this is going to be a hassle to deal with. Maybe just a simple spell knocking them out will work. I am not a big fan of fighting, but… if my hand is forced, then.

"Stop!! stop!!"

I heard that feminine voice immediately, a woman wearing a white shirt and black pants immediately came rushing towards the store, looking intensely at the mages, as if she would kill them if they don't stand down, probably thinking that they are about to, quite literally, blow up the circle wide open to the public. After urging the mages to calm down, she looked at me and only stared daggers towards my face.

"My contacts did not inform me of a n**** woman? are you the 'British Specialist' who got sent to retrieve the 'object?'"

I only nodded my head. Much to the surprise, and relief of the woman.

"I reckon that you are Miss Carolina Evans, no?" I asked, a question that the woman quickly nodded towards.

"Yes, yes I am. I am Carolina Evans, leader of the Philadelphia Magic Circle. Perhaps we can discuss things regarding the stolen item at a more… convenient location? like downstairs? at the compound itself?"

I nodded in response, letting the concentration of mana disperse once more throughout my body. Seeing that the other mages are doing the same, I walked right past the two mages and towed along with Carolina, towards a flight of stony stairs that probably came out from a medieval european castle, and into the Magical Circle Compound itself.

Hmm, it appears that the compound is quite extensive, I see people doing alchemical potion mixtures, a gun workshop, a small library where people are reading, and… huh, a kitchen. That's unusual.

"So. This is what an American Circle looks like." I said, looking around the room. "I must say that I am impressed. There is quite a bit of books, weaponry, and even a place to eat."

"Yes, we try to keep everything we have in-house. We're not europe, and there are some rivalries between magical circles around America. We also develop some traditions as well."

"Traditions?" I asked. That's very unusual, American Circles are… young compared to their European counterparts, there's not enough time for them to develop traditions. "You have traditions? I do know that European circles need centuries to create their own."

"Yeah, that's because the few mages from Europe I've met are quite pigheaded. We here in the new world have a different approach to how we do things." Carolina finished, still walking me towards the various quarters and rooms. Eventually leading me towards what looked like an arena. "Like this one, the proving grounds. A place where you can hone your craft and combat skills. I'm sure British magical circles have similar facilities, but, there is one difference."

"And what is that difference?"

"We allow anyone and everyone to try fighting against each other, regardless of how well prepared or not well prepared you are. In effect, this becomes a place where mages try their most experimental of spells and potions out in the fire."

Carolina then turned around and looked at me, smiling as she opened the gates to the arena. "Would you like to try it? I'm sure the long journey has made your muscles a bit out of practice. I can spar against you if you want."

Looking at Carolina, my eyes turned towards the arena. Sand as the floor, probably something hard beneath the sand, nothing much else, walls made out of cement most likely, some wooden fences as a barrier on top of the walls, and nothing much within the arena.

"Sure. I would like to spar against the leader of this circle."

And just as I finished the sentence, a bright light filled the room, dissipating only to reveal a sword besides me. "What would your weapon be, Carolina?"

I barely cracked a smile as the confident look on her face froze. Her eyes widened, colour leaving her body and she turned her head upwards to look at me. Her mouth opening wide as she probably realized who I am.

"Is… is that? A-are you?"

"C'mon Carolina." I said, stepping towards the ring. "I'll promise I will make it easy on you, I just want to see what an American Magician has up in store for me."

She only gulped as the woman unfurled her wand and stepped forwards to the ring. Closing the gate behind her, and walking rather sheepishly towards the ring.

"Carolina. Don't worry, a mother keeps her promises, no matter what."

And just as I finished that sentence, I leveled my sword towards her. Preparing for whatever attack Carolina has in place.

"Haaahhh. Haahhh."

Carolina wheezed as we both walked out of the arena. The female mage staggered as she climbed out the stairs, and sat on a nearby chair, she's definitely exhausted from the battle, and definitely couldn't stand up for a while after that. I, on the other hand, just exited the arena, and sat right next to her. Definitely sweating, but nowhere near as exhausted as Carolina is, I expected a harder fight than I thought, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. The mages in America seems to be just as skilled as the mages in Britain, so essentially no match to fighting someone like me one on one.

"If you told me…. heeehh, that your mana reserves is that much… haaahh, I wouldn't bother…"

"Well, I was told that I am stronger than my husband. I think Ganesha told me that he berated my husband for being so weak after that."

"Yeah… yeah, your husband must be someone special to still love you after that."

"Don't worry, It's not an issue for us Carolina, knowing us, we've already been married for much longer than you've been alive."

"Yeah I know, but…. haaahhh. To have the woman be the stronger one, I know my husband will never accept that."

I only showed her a weak smile, outstretched my hand, and once she grabbed it, I proceeded to transfer some of my mana towards her. A series of blue light streaks filled the room as it entered Carolina's body. Once the light show's over. The head mage for the Philadelphia circle stared at me, her blue eyes meeting my red. "You don't have to do that." She said, now slowly standing up. "I can recover just fine."

"Consider it a courtesy." I responded. "A courtesy from one of the Ministry's senior mages, now, are we ready to discuss about the 'item?'"

She nodded towards my request. "Of course. Follow me."

Carolina walked me towards the main sanctum, took a right, and we entered a small office, the office has a wooden table in the middle, a small collection of books on the side, and pieces of paper strewn all across the table. I looked at all the items across me, books about magic spells strewn all across the walls, being kept in a neat, orderly fashion, topics ranging from enchanting objects, to combat spells, and… heh, cooking with magic. I have to read that book someday.

"So, Eve. We do have a lead on the object, I have some customs documents the Port Authority gave to us a couple weeks ago. And it does show that there is a weird item arriving at the port. Labeled 'fragile', and the local mob took it before it can be unloaded. A weird incident all around. The records say that the object was supposed to be some ancient artifact for a museum exhibit, why the mob wanted that, I have no idea"

"How is it weird? Is there something in the reports that might suggest an anomaly?"

"Well, for one thing, the box itself looks unusual. As if it stores an object like a spear or something, probably the object is some sort of ancient spear for the exhibit, secondly, and this might pique your interest, the handlers we interviewed said that the box emanated a 'strange energy,' said energy makes the port handlers feel safe and secure whenever they're handling the package. I ordered an immediate search for the object after that, It's far too valuable to just be left missing like that."

"I would reckon that you tipped other mage circles about the act, and it all eventually leads to the Ministry in London getting word of it?"

"Yep, you got it. Now, I do have a rough idea of where the object is, but it will be in a pretty rough part of town, and we kinda have to look for it ourselves, I don't trust my mages to do this job."

I nodded at Carolina's advisory, doing missions like this is part of the job description. "That is no issue. We can fight our way from any form of trouble. I am not a senior agent for nothing."

"Well, that's not the issue, the issue is that we have to do this discreetly."

I raised my eyebrow. Discreetly? why do we need to do it discreetly? does she not have connections with the appropriate authorities for this? or is that just a thing American Magic Circles doesn't have?

"Why discreetly? surely you have authorities that can handle any sort of public commotion no?"

"Well, unfortunately, it is the opposite. The local gang that controls the area has connections with local politicians, well, less connections and more leverage on them. Think of scandalous materials that can be brought to light if they expose it, any attempt for us against that local gang will probably end up with us in the proverbial firing line of the local police force. I do have my connections, yes, but it doesn't guarantee our safety. That's why we must try to destroy any evidence they have of the politician's wrongdoing, and then go and grab that sword once we're done with that."

I went silent for a while, destroying political evidence and then bringing back the sword. That… is quite an interesting plan. And with such an interesting plan laid out, I must respond. While Carolina's plan is unique, I can't help but think of something she might miss.

"Carolina, if I may ask, why don't we just take the evidence for ourselves? I'm sure that having leverage against a politician is a pretty useful tool, just in case you need some insurance against something."

Carolina went silent for a moment. She took a while processing my suggestion, and once she did respond. I certainly didn't expect her to respond the way she did.

"I did consider that, but I really don't want to burn bridges with the Mayor's and Senator's office, at best, it would be counterproductive, and at worst… well, I'm sure you know very well what happens when the government is angry at the local Magic Circle's antics."

I went silent for a while after that. Most interesting, I do know what happens if the government is angry. And it usually doesn't end well for the magicians involved. Carolina took my silence as agreement, and then grabbed a piece of paper from her office. And unfurled a very detailed map of Philadelphia.

"Alright, so, this is where our circle is located. And the warehouse's located there, It's a common area where the local mob usually go out and guard their cargo. This is an off day, so they shouldn't be moving too much cargo. A perfect opportunity to strike." The head mage then outlines our approach area, a detailed map of the warehouse, where should we go and where is the cargo, and finally, the area where the 'leverage' is being securely put.

"Alright, since we have an approach, an action plan, and what should we do once we're inside, what about our exit?"

"That's where you came in Eve. I'm pretty sure people like you have the ability to teleport. Just teleport us out of harm's way once the mission's done."

She finished her sentence and only saw a stunned me. Is that… seriously her exit plan? is that it?

"I don't want to put a spur into your plan, but what you're suggesting will be quite tough. Especially with you and the item we're probably carrying. A teleportation spell requires an absurd amount of mana, and that is just for short ranges only. The teleportation you're suggesting? that has never been done before, and I am not really sure if that kind of spell is even possible."

I paused for a while, collecting my thoughts while Carolina is processing my response.

"Remember, you are transporting a literal human being from one point to another instantly, that spell is not something you would use willy-nilly. And this only assumes that I don't bother using any magic spells, and just save up my mana reserves until the moment arrives where we are ready to teleport. Do you have any other options? because if that is your exit plan, then I see no possibility of us exiting without a fight."

The woman went silent for a moment, she looked like she just saw all her hopes and dreams crushed, I sighed at the real prospect of aborting the mission, but just as I thought that the plan was a bust, a proverbial light-bulb seems to turn on within Carolina Evans' head.

"Eve. Why don't we just steal one of their carriages and run for it? run throughout the city center while you cast protective wards to prevent their bullets going through!"

I only put my fingers at my temple and raised my eyebrow. "Sssssuuuure. That might work."

She can tell from the tone that I just love improvisation.
The warehouse seems unassuming. By all corners, it looks like just a regular old warehouse, with surprisingly heavily armed guards protecting it.

I noticed that there is a shift change. With two men approaching the guards, talking up a storm, before finally nodding with the front gate guards. Noticing an opportunity, I nodded with Carolina and we started following the now off duty guards, two men who are resting after a hard day's work. Surely enough, we managed to corner them while they are taking cigarettes.

"Excuse me." I declared. "Are you the ones guarding that warehouse over there?"

They were obviously startled. Possibly not expecting us approaching them. Their shocked faces eventually gave way to a smile, and they approached us. Their eyes scanning our bodies, not sure if this is some weird opportunity to have some 'fun', or perhaps something else.

"Hello there ladies!" One of the guards greeted. "Yes, we are the ones guarding the warehouses there, what are you looking here for? I suppose a chance for…"

He proceeded to thrust one of his hips forwards and backwards, to the laughter of the other person, and much to our chagrin. We obviously knew that this is coming, what with the time of day, atmosphere and everything, still though, the faster we'd deal with this the better.

It didn't help that myself and Carolina were wearing practical clothes, practical clothes meant for agility at that. Essentially, form fitting bodysuits that didn't leave much to the imagination. The perks of doing infiltration missions...

"Hmmm… perhaps." Carolina replied. "Maybe we can give you some of the 'good stuff', but before we do that. You have to give, in order to take."

"Oh? and what is it that you want missy? a private showing?"

"Well, not really. Just wanted to know what that warehouse actually holds. Just tell me that, and I would give you the show of a lifetime."

With the prospect of sex ever so close to them. These two men blabbered on about everything. How the warehouse stores looted items, and, apparently. The item that we've been looking for is indeed stored inside there as well.

"And, and, in the upper floors. There's this little storage room, and that's where the good stuff is really stored."

"And by good stuff I'm assuming?"

"Yeah, all that leverage shit about the politicians, their scandals, their shady dealings. Everything!"

Carolina only nodded her head as the two men, most likely too tired to realize what they're doing. Continued on their little bit of unnecessary exposition, both of us only waited up until they are finished, myself feinting interest and Carolina slightly bored at the two guys at this point.

"And that's when. Wait, what are we doing?"

It appears that one of the men realized on what they were blabbering about. He motioned the other man to stop, and predictably, looked at both of us suspiciously. "What the hell did you do?"

"Oh, nothing." I replied. "Just a spell that makes you spell the truth as long as you're not aware of it."

"W-wha?"

The moment both figures realized what has transpired, they immediately tried to lunge at us. One of them was about to swing his arm towards me, and the other one tried to tackle Carolina to the ground, presumably beating her up after that.

I responded by waving my hand, blue bubbles of mana erupting from my palms, and both attackers stopped their movements immediately. It's as if the two men were suddenly floated in the air, unable to move their bodies.

"Carolina, would you do the honours?" I asked. She only smirked, waved her hand, and both of them fell to the ground, deep asleep by the looks of it.

"Hmm, didn't expect a sleep spell, well, as long as it works. I am fine with it."

"We need to move now Eve. The warehouse is still there, and we can still gather the item and incriminating evidence. The faster we move the later they will realize what is happening."

"Of course."

We rushed towards the warehouse after that. Climbing, jumping, sneaking, knocking out any guards, and generally moved silently as the warehouse slowly become more visible by the minute.

The entry itself was not an issue. We effectively knocked out the guards guarding the backdoor, but I couldn't shake myself out of a sense of dread creeping up to me while we were there, searching the premises for the item.

"I found the incriminating evidence." I said, breaking through a locked safe, and looking at descriptions of politicians committing adultery, using brothels, and generally other unsavory, but not necessarily despicable acts. "They were right, this is the veritable 'good stuff', if word of this got out. I think there would be a political shift in Philadelphia, nay, possibly all of Pennsylvania."

Carolina came around, and whistled at the stuff this mob has gathered on the local politicians, many raunchy things, many shady things, not illegal, but certainly not acceptable behaviour for politicians. "That's good Eve, but… do you know where box is? I can't seem the find it."

"That's because you will not find it here. Unfortunately"

Both of us turned our heads upwards, the dim lights of the warehouse suddenly turned on, and on top of all that, standing on the roof and staring down at us, was a man. I felt a sense of anger within that man, his mana reserves were acting all over the place, streaking like lightning during a rainstorm, the one silver lining in that assessment was that he hasn't used it, yet.

It doesn't help that he wears a mask and dark hood, preventing us from looking at who his identity is. Well, fighting a masked assailant is not on my plan, but if I have to do it. I will do it.

"Carolina Evans, and… oh, it seems that King Arthur was too much of a coward to get his sword by himself. I welcome both of you."

He jumped down, and streaks of lightning immediately went off. I casted a last minute barrier and the lightning was deflected, streaking all over the room I was in. While I was taking in the brunt of the attack. Carolina jumped sideways, off of the office where I was in, and into the wider warehouse, against a backdrop of magical lightning touching the ground, singing everything before arcing up towards the nearest conducting object. Carolina ran as boxes upon items were electrified and burned. Evading the electricity as best she can.

I jumped downwards, the incriminating evidence safely secured, and grabbed Carolina. I was about to cast a teleportation spell when a sudden force hit me in the side of the head. Knocking me down to the ground.

"Nuh uh. You are not going away that easily."

"Perhaps, but I won't let you win."

I summoned my sword and filled it up with as much mana as I can muster. The rainbow sword glowed a bright white, and I aimed it straight towards him, it blasted the person as pure white energy was released from the tip of the sword and towards him. Throwing the man into a couple of wooden boxes, and then buried in It's debris. I grabbed Carolina, and casted that teleportation spell she so desired.

"Hopefully this works." I said, before everything glowed white.

Last edited:
"Gods, I didn't think I would encounter something like that." Carolina said, brushing off dust from her dress as we slowly walked back towards the Circle. "Just who the hell is he? I certainly don't remember knowing some mysterious masked figure in… forever! How does he even know my name? I never mentioned it to anyone, less of all him!!"

I was too busy looking around my surroundings to bother formenting a response. Whoever that guy is, he certainly knew about both myself and her, calling Arthur as a 'coward' seems to be a very specific accusation.

Almost as if he has some personal connections with him.

"Are you listening to me Eve?"

"No, not really, sorry about that. Was thinking about who that hooded person is, and how did he knew about potentially myself and you, not to mention Arthur himself. It kinda feels like there's something my boss ain't telling me, and I don't like it one bit."

"Oh, and I was searching for a potential ride to go back to our headquarters. Not sure where we are, but I think we can go back to North Philadelphia by foot if need be."

"Hmmm, no, I have a better, much safer solution. But it probably involves some… uhh, 'humiliation' on your part."

"Whatever do you mean?" I asked. "Are we… taking public transport? The trolleys?"

"No, not like that. But something similar. I'm going to rent out a cart and bring us north. That's it, the only catch being that you probably have to sit outside of the cart, let's just say that the white driver wouldn't take too kindly of someone like you being inside his property."

I can only put my palms over my forehead and sigh. This is not the type of treatment I would expect, not that I could do much in the first place, I only nodded at Carolina's offer, aware that the alternatives aren't that much more pleasing.

"So, where do we go to find that carriage Carolina?"
The ride could be better, truth to be told. The white carriage driver visibly sneered at my very presence when I sat at the back, and frankly, while Philadelphia at night does have it's own bizarrely beautiful qualities, the oil lamps, the darkened streets, even the factories churning out products even at this ungodly hour. The few people that saw me and Carolina couldn't have been more unpleasant.

At best, all I got are stares, and occasionally objects thrown at my way. I'm not sure of what they wanted, but of course, being a good mage and all, I planted some spells that made their life just that little bit more inconvenient whenever they did something to annoy me. A couple buckles undone, leaving the harassers only with their underwear here, Some unseen water splash ruining their clothes, even the occasional rat and insect 'infestation' that gave them quite the shock, all in a good night's work really.

We eventually arrived back at the Antique Shop, and it couldn't get any more convenient too. Members of the Philadelphia Circle welcomed us with gentle arms, and even more enthusiasm when we gave out the 'goods.' I can already see their faces, all teeming with the possibility of having major leverage on the Philadelphia political community. A rather interesting mixture of happiness, grins, and the not so occasional jokes about Politicians bending over to them.

Not so much different than the MPA office in London whenever we get something done our way honestly.

"So, Carol, can I call you Carol for short? Carolina seems a bit of a mouthful."

"Uh, yeah, what is it?"

"Can we meet again tomorrow? I still need to find that object I was tasked with. Something also tells me that you all should be extra careful tonight, although I don't think your Circle would have much issues with Security in the first place."

She nodded with a smile, wishing me for a goodnight before she then went to the work of informing her colleagues of what had just transpired. I didn't hear much when I exited the store, but a mixture of sighs and 'c'mon's!!' can be heard faintly. Meh, those mages are all veterans, and it would be the height of foolishness to assault a Magic Circle of a major city with only yourself. Even I would think twice before committing such an act.

With the city now beckoning me yet again. My eyes could only hone in on my directions to his house. Mr Killinger would definitely not be very happy if I went out and came back a bit too late for the night. And with that in mind, I started my journey back to the house, jumping rooftops once again like some prowler in the night.

The spells that I casted on myself concerning noise cancellation are doing wonders, with any local constable not aware of what is on top of them whenever I did my travels. And it feels strangely serene whenever I get the chance to survey the city from on top. Whether it be from the roof of a giant factory building or looking at the activities below from a rooftop just a couple stories high. I have the chance to see people interacting, having fun sometimes, acting drunk and disorderly on the other, and a whole tapestry of emotions greeted me on the next city block.

It was like that whenever I was jumping and prowling through the rooftops. Seeing the human condition in its various forms from high on top. Like some kind of silent goddess overseeing the whole thing.

Like a mother.

And sure enough, just like with many things. My journey finally ended with my arrival at Mr Killinger's house. Perhaps I could make dinner, though it does feel awfully late for me to do such things. Nor do I think that he would appreciate it much either way.

"Hello? Mister Killinger? Forgive me for my late arrival, it seems that work within my master's house is taking up a bit longer than usual. Do you want dinner?"

It didn't take a long time for him to come downstairs. Although not much came after that, he greeted me with the same warm, yet naive eyes of his, we talked for a little bit, I made a little bit of a midnight snack for both of us, and we both went to sleep after that. A relatively uneventful night, although, I do plan to create a bigger breakfast for all of us in the morning.
I woke up relatively bright and early all things considered, I did have a good night's sleep, although the thought of last night's events are still rolling through my mind. Just who is that person? What does he (I presume he's a male) want with that sword? And why did my master send me out of all the people to do it? I am not familiar with the layout of this land, and the people here are hostile at the very least against people like me.

Layers upon layers of mystery abound for me, and I intend to peel them all off. Eventually.

But for now, I must prepare breakfast. Without much ceremony, I rose my body off from my slumber, wiping off the crusted tired eyes from last night, stretched my body, and trodded downstairs, intent on making some breakfast.

"Hey there Killinger." I greeted. "How would you feel if I tried making some dosas and…"

I didn't realize that I was met with a not too dissimilar visage, and not the one I was expecting. I did saw him, but right next to him is Carolina, and in an outfit I never expected her to wear.

The carolina I'm familiar with wore much more practical clothes, tight pants and form fitting shirts with a lot of pockets. This woman, this woman who conveniently looks like Carolina, is wearing an outfit not that different from the many women I spied from my windows, long dresses, gloves, and completely impractical frills all over the place.

"Carolina?"

"Ah! So you do know her miss Eve. Perfect!" Killinger responded. "I just received a funny guest, said that she knows you well and wanted to talk to you even more, is it true that you and miss Carolina over here worked at the same estate?"

Well, that's as good as any excuse I could come with. "Uhh, yes. Miss Carolina has been especially helpful to me whenever I am here. Finding out my master's object has proven to be a much harder job than I thought."

"Perhaps madam Eve here is understating it, but she has been a great asset in recovering some of Sir Arthur Hollywell's belongings. We probably only need a few days, weeks at most before she will leave for England, isn't that right Eve?"

"Exactly." I responded curtly. "Anyway, I feel terribly underdressed for such an occasion, do you mind if I take a bath for a moment before I prepare breakfast Mister Killinger? I'll make sure the portions are bigger to feed all three of us if we have to."

"Oh yes! That will be wonderful madam Eve. Take your time cleaning yourself, you look like you have been wandering around the city all night, perhaps a refreshing bath is just all you need!"

An unusually accurate assessment of my situation. Did not really expect that from Killinger out of all people. No matter, I will take a short bath and then prepare breakfast. Dosas with saag and paneer have worked wonders the last time I made them for guests, not sure about my western companions here, but hopefully their taste buds would explode from the mixture of tastes I'm going to prepare.

The cooking process itself is relatively straightforward, I have some ingredients for Dosa making that I brought in my many jars, and I cooked some extra rice in case anyone wanted extra carbohydrates, Dosas are thin creatures after all. The rest went phenomenally well, I managed to make paneer in sufficient time to not warrant complaints from both Killinger and Carolina, and the saag was ready by the time my rice was done cooking.

I was a bit fearful of their opinions to be frank. This is my first time cooking Indian cuisine for an Anglo-American audience, and while their faces were one of fascination when it comes to Killinger, and a bit of apprehension for Carolina, both of them turned to joy once they tasted my cooking. Much to my relief as I saw clean plates and a rather messy table. A problem a simple spell can fix.

"I must say Miss Eve. I have no idea what I just ate, but your cooking skills are quite exquisite! You MUST open up a restaurant in this city sometime in the future, I am very sure your clientele will be as diverse as it will be numerous!"

My only response is a shrug. "I'm not really sure, while I do enjoy making Dosas, and Saags, and I do love Indian cheese. Something tells me that the wider populace of Philadelphia won't accept this kind of food for… Oh, I don't know, a century perhaps?"

Killinger could only balk at my assessment. It is a rather conservative one even for my standards, but this country is far, far from an accepting place, and I am not very optimistic of it's chances to change in such a short timeframe.

"Anyway, I think that Eve and I needed to talk outside for a short while, would that be okay Mister Killinger? We have to discuss business regarding my master's household."

"Oh, of course of course! Please, do not let me interrupt you two lovely ladies from conducting your business."

I must admit that was a smooth transition, we both respectfully bow our heads as we left the house, wandering the streets of Philadelphia's outskirts as we started our discussion.

"So, what do you want to do next?" I asked Carolina. "We can gather information of who that mysterious man is, but I really, really don't know where to start on that avenue."

"You and I both, something tells me that whatever he is planning. It's going to be discreet, I'll probably ask around, and gather some information from my mage networks. But I also think that you can do something important too."

"And that is?"

"My networks are vast, admittedly, but there is one community in which I am unfortunately blind at. The black community, trust me, I have tried everything in my power to gain some contacts, but the city's Seventh Ward is practically unknown for me. That is something you can rectify."

"Forgive me Carolina, but I am not overly familiar with this 'Seventh Ward,' do you know the location of the area? I can try to gather some information, but I am not a n**** by any stretch of the imagination, or at least fit the Americans' perception of the n****. I'm not sure if I can gather much, if at all, intelligence from black community."

"Well, as much as I wanted to try and diversify Philadelphia's circle, the majority of active mages here are unfortunately white. If it's under better conditions, I wouldn't have to resort to such things, but you are the only notable person of colour here that I know of Eve. It's perhaps our only chance to bring down whoever that mysterious person is."

Truth to be told, it seems that Carolina here is telling the truth, I can sense some sincerity within her when she said she has tried to diversify, ugh. If only I could encounter black people under better conditions.

"Fine, I will try, but I need some general information, what are their clothing styles like, how do they speak, and where this Seventh Ward is located, other general information. I'll then scout out the area, try to find out notable figures, and then gather intelligence. Give or take, 1 or 2 weeks at best, a month at worst. Would that be acceptable?"

Carolina winced. "That long huh? Fine, let's go to the antique shop, I'm pretty sure I have some contacts that have been to the Seventh Ward, come."

"Wait, Carolina."

"Yes?"

"I must bid my goodbyes to mister Killinger first, is that okay?"

"Ah, of course. Of course Eve. Would you mind if I wait at Mister Killinger's front porch then?"

"That would be lovely, thanks."

Back
Top Bottom