What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars : Solo

Can't comment, as I boycotted the film. Though most of the fans and reviewers I've heard from found the film boring and mediocre with some questionable lore-decisions and plotting.
Well one of those lore-decision was probably Kessel being the source of hyperspace fuel. Pretty stupid decision that.

It was a fun movie, but I have to wonder what they're going to do about Darth Maul showing up seemingly out of the blue at the very end. We know how his story is going to end, so whatever he gained in this movie ultimately doesn't matter in the long run.

It was a fun movie, but I have to wonder what they're going to do about Darth Maul showing up seemingly out of the blue at the very end. We know how his story is going to end, so whatever he gained in this movie ultimately doesn't matter in the long run.
Personally I think that bringing Maul back at all was stupid to begin with.

Eh, it's happening in the gaming space as well. Call of Duty (aka 'CoD') has been going with the trend of most games having incredibly short dev-times to keep their yearly schedule. If you actually look into gaming history, that sort of thing happened before with Megaman of all franchises where it had a yearly release schedule (and later when the X series showed up, a biyearly schedule) for most of it's lifespan. Given that there is a very toxic exploitation culture within corporations and their stockholder population.

Disney has discovered franchise fatigue. Out of the lot of companies, it is only Nintendo and Bethesda that understands anything more than 'how to exploit a franchise into the ground'.

To be entirely fair to CoD they don't actually have short dev times, just short release schedules, three studios make the series, Sledgehammer, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch. and you can tell, Infinitiy Ward made, Modern warfare 1 & 2, Ghosts, and Infinite Warfare. Sledgehammer made, Advanced warfare, WW2, and Modern warfare 3. Treyarch (aka the good one) made the entire black ops series (1, 2, 3, and soon to be 4,) and World at War. AND FUCK ME IF YOU CAN'T TELL

Sledgehammer is really violent.

Infinity Ward is the most normal of them.

and Treyarch is the fun if fucking weird one.

I think its fun. If the film that discovered a what few have. Fan service is not story, its fan service and it also alienates audiences. as my husband is not a star wars nerd he is very casual (more of a trekkie kind of guy) and oh god did he feel very meh saying "I feel like I am missing a bunch of references. its just okay"

To be entirely fair to CoD they don't actually have short dev times, just short release schedules, three studios make the series, Sledgehammer, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch. and you can tell, Infinitiy Ward made, Modern warfare 1 & 2, Ghosts, and Infinite Warfare. Sledgehammer made, Advanced warfare, WW2, and Modern warfare 3. Treyarch (aka the good one) made the entire black ops series (1, 2, 3, and soon to be 4,) and World at War. AND FUCK ME IF YOU CAN'T TELL

Sledgehammer is really violent.

Infinity Ward is the most normal of them.

and Treyarch is the fun if fucking weird one.

I think its fun. If the film that discovered a what few have. Fan service is not story, its fan service and it also alienates audiences. as my husband is not a star wars nerd he is very casual (more of a trekkie kind of guy) and oh god did he feel very meh saying "I feel like I am missing a bunch of references. its just okay"
Here's the thing, the moment that Sledgehammer came aboard the CoD dev train the games were reduced from a 5-year dev-cycle to a 3-year dev-cycle. Infinite Warfare is just the first game that has this cycle 'implemented'.

The problem isn't that they are making a new canon. The problem is that the new canon is just dull. Han's old past was more interesting, his family was better than having "Solo" be a shitty joke, etc... Conversely, I liked L3-37, and young Lando.

The problem isn't that they are making a new canon. The problem is that the new canon is just dull. Han's old past was more interesting, his family was better than having "Solo" be a shitty joke, etc... Conversely, I liked L3-37, and young Lando.
Yeah. Though the new canon's version hints of the Old Republic era seems interesting. Though were not likely to see anything set in that era until the next decade. So to those you have seen Solo, what are your favorite parts of the movie?

Wow, I really liked this movie. I didn't think I would like it, but I did! I enjoyed it more than The Last Jedi.

You and me both. I see no major issues on Solo myself. Is it a perfect movie? no, of course not. But is it good enough to hold on it's own. Yeah, most definitely.

It was a movie. Yup.

Not a terrible movie. Not a great movie. But it certainly was a movie.

I immediately started the movie rolling my eyes at the opening text. In a universe that always put forward a cast of characters, suddenly there is "and this the the story of a poor boy". Though it was better than a few seconds later when I was wondering what was wrong with the screen, because all clarity was washed away with those fucking filters. OK, so some things looked interesting when I could see them, making it.. a kind of bland movie.

Then there was the hero. I won't refer to him as Han Solo, because the main character was more of a weird film-school imitation than a representation of the character. Beckett was neat, but the rest of his pod of rogues were kind of trash. Lando was fucking fly, but L3-37 should have been recycled into a feed bowl for a rancor. Which all comes down to being real average.

Hey, let's give everything a backstory! Why is Chewbacca called Chewie? Let's find out! Why does the Millennium Falcon have that notch in the front? Let's explain it! "So you are alone, Han? Hmmm... Han... Solo. *wink*". How did Han get his blaster? We need to see that Kessel run! Just about everything had to be explained, which often changed what we see from being a character movie to more of a series of Wookiepedia articles. So instead of having a "that's cool" feeling, it becomes a "gee, thanks for yet another callback, asshole".

All together, it becomes a movie. Some high points, some low points, a lot of blandness and unnecessary details, and the lead was a nice bowl of gruel. Which kind of illustrates the movie. You can watch it, and it will fill your most basic needs, but it has about as much flavor as traditional British cooking. Coming from a line of movies, both good and bad, that have always ended up being at least quite entertaining, it is not a terrible movie except in comparison to the franchise as a whole.

FIrst mistake in the Hansolo Movie... having Han Solo in it

Would have been more interesting as the Adventures of Lando.

I saw it and I thought it was a good movie. I didn't care for making Han Solo part of the Rebellion's founding but it's an incredibly minor part of the movie so I'm happy to let it go. Lando was played with spirit and nerve and Han felt like Han Fucking Solo. Plus the fact that we got to see Han translating for Chewie was fun! Clarke's character was interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.

As for the Last Jedi discussion, look can we split that off? Because it's worth a topic of discussion but I'd talk about Han Solo in the Han Solo thread if y'all don't mind? I can make a thread for it y'all agree?

I would say it's less a case of him being a founder of the rebellion, and more a case of the rebellion is already formed but in it's earlier stages and he just happened to get involved in some shady shit that just so happened to be beneficial to a group of rebels.

In hindsight, I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here, Disney really would have been better off releasing it around this time if year when it wouldn't clash with any of their Marvel stuff, and when there just wasn't much competition anyway. Would have gone to see it if not on Christmas day itself then sometime this week when I've got literally nothing else going on.

I think had they waited until the end of the year, they could have easily made an additional $50 to $100 million, if not more.

It was a movie that we didn't need. Not a bad movie just completely unneeded. The whole {link everything to the Rebellion} thing and frankly elaborating on Han's past. Like the Joker its better left a mystery. I will admit the war scenes were he met Chewie were pretty great though.

When Solo came out I tried to boycott it, didn't went to Cinema, saw it much later when it released on DVD.

I was once more angered by the politics it was surrounded with, and even though it wasn't that bad of the movie in itself, it made me wondering why it was made in the first place, other than proving they have control over Star Wars (now without Lucas).

"So you are alone, Han? Hmmm... Han... Solo. *wink

... Didn't a similar thing pop up in the old Legends EU one time? Like, I distinctly remember reading a Legends novel that had Han thinking something along the lines "That's it, I'm flying solo from now on. Yeah... Solo. Han Solo." Could be wrong, though.

... Didn't a similar thing pop up in the old Legends EU one time? Like, I distinctly remember reading a Legends novel that had Han thinking something along the lines "That's it, I'm flying solo from now on. Yeah... Solo. Han Solo." Could be wrong, though.
Nope, in legends the Solos are an old and respected family.

Nope, in legends the Solos are an old and respected family.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first read that line, or however it was actually worded. So, either this was a attempt to retcon Han being a actual Solo, or this was something that the author just threw in and all the author Legends writers simply retconned it, I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom