What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek: Voyager: Q Junior's Lessons

fardell24

Author
Star Trek: Voyager – Q Junior's Lessons
Prologue: Disowned by the Continuum

Q Junior pressed the announce button.

"Come in," Captain Janeway said.

"Do you have a moment?" Q Junior asked. "A few days ago you offered to let me remain on Voyager. I know I've made a few mistakes since then, and you probably don't want me around. But if it's alright with you, I'd like to continue my training."

"But you have nothing left to prove to the Continuum," Aunt Kathy said.

"There's a lot I still need to prove to you."

"What about your father?"

"You don't honestly believe we'll see him again, do you? He obviously doesn't want me around. Why else would he leave me here? Twice."

However, they were then no longer alone, as his father appeared in the usual flash of light. "The question you should be asking is why I keep coming back. Now, I'm sorry I left so abruptly, but the Continuum's verdict demanded an immediate appeal. I told them I refused to belong to any Continuum that wouldn't accept my son as a member. We're a package deal."

Junior was incredulous. "You left the Continuum for me?"

"Oh don't be ridiculous. I'm the only one holding that place together. And when they realised they might lose me, they crumbled like a Gelbian sand sculpture."

"They're going to return my powers?"

"Not yet," his father said.

"Not yet?" What do you mean not yet?"

"They think that a week is too short a time to prove you've changed."

"How long," Janeway asked.

"How long?" his father said, rhetorically. "However long it will take for you to get home, is how long."

"So you're saying…" the Captain began.

"They want Junior to help you get home to the Federation as a member of your crew. Once you get back to Earth, he gets his powers back."

"That's unfair," Junior said.

"I know it is, son. But it will be a challenge."

"Yes," the Captain answered.

"Yes?" his father asked.

"Yes. I will let Junior remain on Voyager, which I was going to do before you returned."

"Thank you, Captain."

"Dismissed Junior. I would like to talk to your father, alone."

"Sure, Captain."

Kathryn watched Junior leave the ready room and then turned her attention back to his father. "So, the Continuum crumbled like a Gelbian sand sculpture?"

"Yes," Q answered. "Yes. Some of them even got on their knees and begged me to stay. It was pathetic. If you must know, I had to agree to a few minor conditions."

"Oh?" Such as?"

"Eternal custody of the boy, once he regains his powers, subject to review once every million years."

"I hope he won't spoil too much of your fun."

"Well some of it has been spoiled already. I wasn't allowed to give you information that would have shortened your journey."

"We'll manage."

"His contribution to the crew will more than make up for it. Besides, what kind of example would you make to him if you cheated?"

A Honey Trap Part 1
Janeway and Chakotay stopped after a run around Deck 8. "How is Q Junior settling in?" Chakotay asked.

"Well so far," the Captain answered. "Icheb has been helping him."

"That's good."

Janeway saw her first officer hesitate. "You're worried about the two fighting factions ahead, aren't you."

"Yes. It's like the Kazon all over again."

"At least they haven't threatened to take Voyager."

"I don't think I could handle that again," Chakotay said.

The Captain knew what her first officer was referring to. "It's unlikely there would be Cardassian agents among them."

"True."

"In any case, it's dangerous to take Voyager into a war zone. I'd like to go around but that will add two or three weeks to our journey."

"So, you want to negotiate a cease fire?"

"Yes. I know it isn't really the Starfleet way, to act as a third party for our advantage."

"That hasn't stopped you before."

"Of course not."

As Voyager approached the border of Uj R'baasagbr, Janeway heard the Ready Room door chime. "Come in."

Naomi Wildman and Q Junior entered. "Good Morning, Captain," the latter said.

"What are you up to today?" the Captain asked.

Naomi handed the Captain a PADD. "Neelix has been on the local subspace network, gathering information on the region."

The captain took the PADD. "Potential Diplomacy option? Only one?" she asked.

"Unfortunately, that is what he all he could find," Naomi explained.

"But it seems questionable," Junior interjected.

"How?" the Captain asked as she tapped the file open.

"As you can see, it involves an arranged marriage."

The Captain read that particular passage. "I see. But it would depend on what the opinion of two people involved are."

"That's true," Junior conceded. "But I've looked through similar examples in Earth's history. Most often neither person liked the other,"

"That's true. But there doesn't seem to be any other choice," the Captain groused. "I shall investigate."

Janeway exited the ready room. "Hail the Uj R'baasagbr," she ordered.

"Aye, Captain," Ensign Harry Kim said.

"So we're going through with this?" Chakotay asked.

"Yes," the Captain answered.

"I gather there's a caveat," Chakotay pointed out.

"I have looked through the data Neelix found. There are many planets on the border between the two powers that could be set free," Janeway said.

"That would be a tough sell."

"Ensign Kim, open the channel."

"Aye, Captain."

"Let me get this straight, Captain. You will transport the Princess in exchange for a negotiated independence for those worlds," the Ambassador said.

"That is my offer," Janeway said. "Take it or leave it."

"And I suppose that you want to be the negotiator?"

"Not just myself, but also some of my crew," the Captain answered.

"It's not my decision, but I'll see what I can do."

Janeway and Q Junior entered the Shuttlebay. "You're surprised the Uj R'baasagbr took my offer."

"It's unlikely that they would give up the planets just like that, Aunt Kathy," he said. "They'll probably break the agreement as soon as they feel Voyager is far enough away."

"That's why I'll be bringing some of their neighbours into the agreement," the Captain added. "Some extra accountability goes a long way."

"Certainly…" Q Junior murmured.

"Chakotay tells me you're bored with the diplomacy lessons."

"I know revision is an effective teaching method, but I'm eager to move on. Especially to the section on accountability."

"Or maybe you can join Neelix and I in the negotiations," the Captain offered.

"Wouldn't that be a bit quick?" Junior asked.

The Captain was about to say more when she was interrupted by Ensign Kim announcing over the comm that the Uj R'baasagbr shuttle was about to dock.

The Uj R'baasagbr Princess emerged. She looked almost like a typical human of European descent, other than slight ridges on her face that were obviously extensions of the cheekbones.

"I'm Elselan Mossezria," she said by way of introduction. "Princess of the Uj R'baasagbr. Have some of your crew take my luggage."

Back
Top Bottom