What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should all heroes kill their villains?

Sailorpizza

Should no-kill heroes like Batman,Superman,Spiderman,Flash,Magical girls and much more, murder/manslaughter/taken lives away from their own personal villains like Punisher,Guts,Kenshiro,Kratos,Doomguy/Doomslayer and other brutal anti-heroes do?

or just plain ridiculous idea on many heroes to do?

Depends on character.

Batman should, he is ultimately a vigilante motivated by vengeance and tragic character defined by his tragic past.

Superman shouldn't. He is meant to be symbol, and always morally good person.

Spiderman shouldn't, initially. His career starts at his teenage years, and should be good and somewhat naive until the later in story

Flash wasn't ultimately meant to be killer either, he was never motivated by vengeance, as Batman, hence shouldn't kill until later in the story

Depends on character.

Batman should, he is ultimately a vigilante motivated by vengeance and tragic character defined by his tragic past.

Superman shouldn't. He is meant to be symbol, and always morally good person.

Spiderman shouldn't, initially. His career starts at his teenage years, and should be good and somewhat naive until the later in story

Flash wasn't ultimately meant to be killer either, he was never motivated by vengeance, as Batman, hence shouldn't kill until later in the story

Good points and i'm just wondering why people want Spiderman & Superman to kill so much.

Sometimes killing is a kindness. Some villains deserve far worse than death...

...like alien embryo implantation. :D

Good points and i'm just wondering why people want Spiderman & Superman to kill so much.
Superman characterization was all wrong in late DC adaptation, he was dark and brooding, basically Batman, and he wasn't supposed to be.
I think Injustice games also influenced it a little

It doesn't so much matter what the motivation is. The moral high ground on killing the villain is when you take into consideration what the villain is capable of AND WILL do.

Doom Guy is justified to murder the infinite hordes of Hell, because those very same hordes have the capability and WANT to destroy the entire planet and absorb it into their own realm!

This is rather the wrong question.

The proper question is: what type of story do you want to tell?

That is, do you want the hero to kill people? Do you need them to kill to advance the story? Do they not like the idea of killing people, similar to batman? If so, forcing them into situations that strain that conviction could work for that. On the other hand, pushing a character that is a killer, that has killed hundreds, thousands, into a situation where they have to reign that in... well, that's when you get things like the new God of War game.

No he isn't. He's a deeply mentally disturbed character, yes... but he knows he is. That's why he has his no killing rule, he knows that he could go over the edge if he crosses that line. It's not unrealistic either, he knows that he'd start justifying things to himself. Does the Joker deserve it? Yes. Does Ras? Probably... What about Mr. Freeze? I don't think so, but... he could and would start justifying that he does deserve death.

No he isn't. He's a deeply mentally disturbed character, yes... but he knows he is. That's why he has his no killing rule, he knows that he could go over the edge if he crosses that line. It's not unrealistic either, he knows that he'd start justifying things to himself. Does the Joker deserve it? Yes. Does Ras? Probably... What about Mr. Freeze? I don't think so, but... he could and would start justifying that he does deserve death.
Problem is, answer to most of those question is yes. System in-universe is unable to contain Mr. Freeze or Joker, let alone in fact immortal Ras. They won't change either.
I understand Batman don't want to be judge, jury and executioner, but that's rather the reason for stopping being vigilante in the first place.

Problem is, answer to most of those question is yes. System in-universe is unable to contain Mr. Freeze or Joker, let alone in fact immortal Ras. They won't change either.
I understand Batman don't want to be judge, jury and executioner, but that's rather the reason for stopping being vigilante in the first place.

But does Freeze deserve death? He certainly isn't a complete psychopath, he doesn't kill for no reason. He's just a very scary thief.

But does Freeze deserve death? He certainly isn't a complete psychopath, he doesn't kill for no reason. He's just a very scary thief.
He might not be psychopath (technically, although he might be declared insane) but he is a dangerous criminal that can't be effectively reformed or imprisoned, and is bound to cause the damage as long as he lives. Similar to Joker, albeit with different motives.

Technically, Batman is not judge, jury and executioner and refrain from making such a decision - which is fine, from both legal and moral perspective, but again, that's a reason why to stop being a vigilante in the first place.

This is rather the wrong question.

The proper question is: what type of story do you want to tell?

That is, do you want the hero to kill people? Do you need them to kill to advance the story? Do they not like the idea of killing people, similar to batman? If so, forcing them into situations that strain that conviction could work for that. On the other hand, pushing a character that is a killer, that has killed hundreds, thousands, into a situation where they have to reign that in... well, that's when you get things like the new God of War game.

I just meant of how people always ask why batman and superman couldn't kill their villains like punisher did

I just meant of how people always ask why batman and superman couldn't kill their villains like punisher did
And that's why Punisher doesn't have an iconic rogue's gallery. Captain America has the Red Skull, Batman with Joker, Superman with Lex Luthor, and Professor X with Magneto.

These conflicts move sales. The Punisher has to fight uphill not to be boring and forgettable. As much as people whine about what significance a normie like Batman is doing being intimidating to the Justice League, even more so is the Punisher more or less irrelevant to the greater Marvel stories.

Last edited:
And that's why Punisher doesn't have an iconic rogue's gallery. Captain America has the Red Skull, Batman with Joker, Superman with Lex Luthor, and Professor X with Magneto.

These conflicts move sales. The Punisher has to fight uphill not to be boring and forgettable. As much as people whine about what significance a normie like Batman is doing being intimidating to the Justice League, even more so is the Punisher more or less mostly irrelevant to the greater Marvel stories.

That's true and even villains did help heroes at times for many battles like Lex luthor did for Justice League against Ultraman and his squad.

He might not be psychopath (technically, although he might be declared insane) but he is a dangerous criminal that can't be effectively reformed or imprisoned, and is bound to cause the damage as long as he lives. Similar to Joker, albeit with different motives.

Technically, Batman is not judge, jury and executioner and refrain from making such a decision - which is fine, from both legal and moral perspective, but again, that's a reason why to stop being a vigilante in the first place.

Except that prison has been shown to be able to hold him, he's always broken out with the help of others.

Except that prison has been shown to be able to hold him, he's always broken out with the help of others.
Gotham has practically only one place to hold such a prisoner and mass breakouts are extremely common, sometimes due to help from outside, but sometimes simply due to incompetence. If situation in Gotham is actually that bad, I wonder why no one thought of shipping prisoners off city if security is that bad, or even off state, especially if they committed some crime against federal law.

Gotham has practically only one place to hold such a prisoner and mass breakouts are extremely common, sometimes due to help from outside, but sometimes simply due to incompetence. If situation in Gotham is actually that bad, I wonder why no one thought of shipping prisoners off city if security is that bad, or even off state, especially if they committed some crime against federal law.
Because no one wants to bring Gothem's problems to their City.

Not in my back yard, not in my state, and not in my country. Gothem is noman's land.

Back
Top Bottom