What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Alias

One of the few Phase 4 movies I'm interested in. Hope it's going to be pretty good movie rather than just being an okay movie.

Heh, thought I could be the one to make this thread.

Seems alright so far, though I am not that familiar with Shang Chi. Is he part of the K'un Lun sect in Marvel?

Seems alright so far, though I am not that familiar with Shang Chi. Is he part of the K'un Lun sect in Marvel?

In the comics he's the son of Dr. Fu Manchu who used Shang as an assassin to kill his enemies until he broke free, and joined forces with MI-6 to oppose his father and become a world-traveling hero. He also doesn't have any superpowers and simply is the best martial artist in the world, like a genderbent Lady Shiva.

Here, they're making him the son of the real Mandarin, to avoid using a severly outdated Yellow Peril character like Fu Manchu, and integrate him more with existing characters, and giving him the Ten Rings to put him on the superhero board.

He supposedly just Kung-Fus really really really good. Mastery of his chi makes him pretty much superhuman in practice though.
Here, they're making him the son of the real Mandarin, to avoid using a severly outdated Yellow Peril character like Fu Manchu, and integrate him more with existing characters, and giving him the Ten Rings to put him on the superhero board.
I swear that Marvel has people watching my accounts. At least on SB, where I immediately went to a Mandarin swap after they announced a Shang-Chi movie (there was no ten rings reference at that point).

If they use his comic background, I foresee that during his ten years away from daddy he wasn't actually a party boy, but was working for an intelligence agency or otherwise spying to take his criminal pops down.

I'm not familiar with Shang Chi as a character at all. Shows how far the MCU has come that the al-Qaida expy from Iron Man 1 is secretly led by a cabal of magical ninjas

I'm not familiar with Shang Chi as a character at all. Shows how far the MCU has come that the al-Qaida expy from Iron Man 1 is secretly led by a cabal of magical ninjas
It is more a case of Marvel not knowing if this MCU thing was going to work when Iron Man came out.

Mandarin has been an iconic Iron Man villain for decades, so they gave hints as to how he is a major part of the universe with the Ten Rings organization. Big Plans as it were. Then they forgot about it for a bit, did a fake-out using the Mandarin's name for IM3 that made the real Mandarin's appearance harder to pull off, etc.

It is entirely possible that we never would have seen the real Mandarin at all if it weren't for the fact that Shang-Chi as a character is very tied to his father's criminal enterprises. Fu Manchu is right out, so they had a giant Asian-centric hole to fill. Rather than making a new criminal underworld, they could recycle the one they already had and use a strong villain that they had shelved to head it up. Shang-Chi having 10 years to himself before having the empire foisted upon him might be used to explain how the Ten Rings went from being a powerful cartel supplying global terrorism to laying low and mostly out of sight for years within the MCU.

The most unlikely explanation at this point is that they had a plan all along. Even my theory that Marvel is shadowing my posts looking for story ideas is more believable than that. They just have a folder called "LOOSE ENDS" that they check once in a while while everyone cheers that there is some ultimate master plan that stretches out for decades.

Isnt the movie canceled or something, I hear that Disney has stopped making it.
China won't release it there along with Eternals, that's all. And it has already been made, only people saying that dumb shit are the alt-right youtubers who I seen jump on this like howler monkeys because Disney dared to make a superhero movie appealing to Asian-Americans.

The Ten Rings look pretty cool in action, some kind of gravitational effect.

But wasn't expecting Abomination(now with fish ears!), guessing he needed a refresher for audiences considering anyone born on the day his movie was released is now yelling slurs on COD, and he maybe used in Thunderbolts.

Also everyone is saying it's Wong he's fighting, but aside from general appearance he just seems a random Sorceror.

I liked it, Tony Leung was really great as the 'villain', but would have preferred if like in the old rumours this was a fighting tournament plot as the third act felt bit too 90's kid action, like something from Power Rangers or TMNT.

I was wondering which Tony Leung were tapped to play the Mandarin as I didn't get a clear picture of the guy in trailers.

Turns out it was Little Tony. Ah, the perils when Hong Kong produces two actors with the same first name and both being phenomenal to boot.

I was wondering which Tony Leung were tapped to play the Mandarin as I didn't get a clear picture of the guy in trailers.

Turns out it was Little Tony. Ah, the perils when Hong Kong produces two actors with the same first name and both being phenomenal to boot.
Can we call the other one Fat Tony?

EDIT: What's with the Rufus reaction? You were the one to call him Little Tony (literal belittling!). I would have went with Chewy Tony and Coffee Tony, personally.

Last edited:
Can we call the other one Fat Tony?

EDIT: What's with the Rufus reaction? You were the one to call him Little Tony (literal belittling!). I would have went with Chewy Tony and Coffee Tony, personally.

There's two actors named Tony Leung in Hong Kong. Tony Leung Ka Fai and Tony Leung Chiu Wai. They're called respectively Big Tony and Little Tony since Leung Ka Fai is taller than Leung Chiu Wai.

Back
Top Bottom