What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

San Diego Synagogue Shooting

Ravan

Gone
Another mass shooting, this time during Passover services. 1 dead, three others in stable condition at the hospital, including the Rabbi who has balls of steel. He was shot but tried to talk the shooter down, insisted on finishing his sermon and a prayer for peace and unity before he'd let them take him to the hospital.

Reports say shooter (in custody) is a 19yr old male with an AR style rifle.

Unconfirmed reports say a manifesto was posted to 4chan

Shooter confirmed as John T Earnest. He's also claimed responsibility for a recent arson attack against a mosque.

So what exactly do we as a society do about all these young white men who go out and shoot up religious gatherings or educational institutions?

So what exactly do we as a society do about all these young white men who go out and shoot up religious gatherings or educational institutions?
Maybe tone down the polarization of society, make psychiatric care more socially acceptable, have a representation of masculinity that is a lot less centered around force/violence and not picture guns as the big tool of power and adulthood but a dangerous tool to be used responsibly.

Maybe tone down the polarization of society, make psychiatric care more socially acceptable, have a representation of masculinity that is a lot less centered around force/violence and not picture guns as the big tool of power and adulthood but a dangerous tool to be used responsibly.
Polarization of society is going to be increasing, not decreasing, Rufus, and that goes for not only the US, but France, Germany, pretty much everyone. Psychiatric Care in the US is almost as badly treated as Japan, and to fix that means you'll have to force people to get psychiatric care at gunpoint. Guns is part of the various American sub cultures that it is basically impossible to remove unless you want to undertake cultural genocide...

have a representation of masculinity that is a lot less centered around force/violence and not picture guns as the big tool of power and adulthood but a dangerous tool to be used responsibly.
I'm not saying this wouldn't be beneficial to society, but isn't this part of your suggestion pretty much unattainable? We live in world where violent video games are a multi-billion dollar industry.

I'm not saying this wouldn't be beneficial to society, but isn't this part of your suggestion pretty much unattainable? We live in world where violent video games are a multi-billion dollar industry.
Violent media aren't exactly the issue per se: we have them here as well and guns aren't considered socially as the big tool of power and adulthood. I'd say it's a combination of elements, just like disillusionment of youth can make it more vulnerable to ideological manipulation and terrorist action, for example. In the case of guns, I would argue it's less violent media and more the way guns are presented as an overwhelmingly positive tool for "the good guy" and how they are a mark of adulthood.
Polarization of society is going to be increasing, not decreasing, Rufus, and that goes for not only the US, but France, Germany, pretty much everyone.
Try not to talk with authority about places you don't know, thanks. Polarization isn't nearly as prevalent here, for example. Our issues are of a different nature.

Best way to snap polarization would be to brake up the union.

US has had it's time and millions killed.

*rolls eyes*

For fuck's sake, Aaron, you ain't gonna start a new phase of your conspiracy theories now, right? We're not living in anime...
Isn't that what a stand alone complex is? A bunch of people acting individually in such a way that if you really squint it looks like a conspiracy?

I was wondering why there were so many cops on the road when I was heading home yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom