What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salbazier's Random Blather About Salbazier's Media Consumption

Salbazier

Currently picking up Darling in The Franxx again after been hiatusing since ep 6. My, I've forgotten how fun this series is with its innuendo dialogues. :D

Interrupted marathon to watch a bit of Rogue One. Looks interesting but can't occupy my attention now. Maybe later.

Putting Elric of Melbi ... melbiwhatever on reading list.

I've been consuming a lot of MLP as of late, probably because it's one of the few cheerful and genuinely happy things out there, especially as the world goes further and further wrong. Wish that I got my grandmother Marian to continue buying Tom and Jerry episodes. :(

So,... Ryukishi07 (of When They Cry/Naku Koro ni series fame) and Higa Yukari made a manga.

Renai Harem Game Shuuryou no Oshirase ga kuru Koro ni

Kohinata Asunaro is your ordinary perverted high-school student who likes light novels and romance games. He has no interest in having a "3D" girlfriend and is content just fantasizing on the pretty girls of his school to create his own imaginary harem. But one day he accidentally releases Zepfur, a demon who promises to make his fantasies a reality.

The day after, one of those girls, Furuwada Serika, is summoned by Zepfur and explained the rules of a game: the girls of Asunaro's "harem" must earn points by competing for his affection. The winner will be the one whom Asunaro chooses as his sole girlfriend… and the losers will experience an infinite loop of horrible deaths in Hell. For Asunaro, it's just a romcom fantasy coming true. For Serika and the others, it's a battle for survival.​

Gotta say this is fun. Oh still it have fanservice, which kinda makes thing awkward with my brother currently shacking here till next month. (also applies for my consumption of other ...fanservicey material. Even watching Darling in the FRANXX put me in Quandary)

So,... Ryukishi07 (of When They Cry/Naku Koro ni series fame) and Higa Yukari made a manga.
Ah...when they cry, a cute kids show about sweet little lolis! :D

Well, been reminiscing about things like Star Trek, SeaQuest DSV (underrated in quite a few respects, but a narrative trainwreck with season 2 and even Ironsides couldn't save Season 3 even though he did a damn fine job trying alongside the writing staff), Babylon 5, among others...

You know what I want to see more in these Sci Fi shows? German officers. We've seen the gambit from Russians (hell, in Babylon 5 the Second in Command -Susan Ivanova- is a Russian Jew, and if you know your Russian history... that is usually a death sentence) to Americans to British to Frenchmen, yet I haven't seen a single German officer. The Prussian Efficiency mixed with the PARTY HARD of the southern German states. The sort of man who would not only love opera but also HEAVY METAL, that sort of thing.

I don't watch much fictional stuff these days, I'm a terrible SBer.
Read :V

Or listen. I don't like audiobooks but some people seesm to think them great, cause they can be heard while driving or something.

Finished catching up to Shogeki Soma recently. Great stuff. There's this kinda ... empty - post climax feeling though. It will last until the new arc can truly get into high gear I suppose

Also finished Tokyo Ghoul:re. Maybe I wil give the anime another chance. I drop it after first episode of season 2 since it seems like they were about to go in different direction than the manga ... but come to think of it I prefer the anime way of handling things anyway, so I should have stick longer at least.

Finished catching up to Shogeki Soma recently. Great stuff. There's this kinda ... empty - post climax feeling though. It will last until the new arc can truly get into high gear I suppose

Also finished Tokyo Ghoul:re. Maybe I wil give the anime another chance. I drop it after first episode of season 2 since it seems like they were about to go in different direction than the manga ... but come to think of it I prefer the anime way of handling things anyway, so I should have stick longer at least.
Boku No Pico I hear is a good anime. :p

I don't watch much fictional stuff these days, I'm a terrible SBer.
Eh, I can understand your situation because 1) fictional stuff has dipped a little in quality due to the current uptick of fictional programs (The Expanse gave 'hard' end scifi a massive boost in the arm), 2) reality took a turn for the Tom Clancy given that Russia had meddled in the 2016 US elections (and elections of France, Germany, etc.) among other things, 3) for the US no one that isn't in the bottom of the upper economic class doesn't -quite literally- have the time to read/watch/listen fictional things as their downtime is so constrained and their ability to get the services in order to watch/read/listen to fictional things are comparatively expensive, and I've might have forgotten other elements though.

Eh, I can understand your situation because 1) fictional stuff has dipped a little in quality due to the current uptick of fictional programs (The Expanse gave 'hard' end scifi a massive boost in the arm), 2) reality took a turn for the Tom Clancy given that Russia had meddled in the 2016 US elections (and elections of France, Germany, etc.) among other things, 3) for the US no one that isn't in the bottom of the upper economic class doesn't -quite literally- have the time to read/watch/listen fictional things as their downtime is so constrained and their ability to get the services in order to watch/read/listen to fictional things are comparatively expensive, and I've might have forgotten other elements though.
I don't live in the US. ;)

Darling in The Franxx ended, it was a fair show.

The ending could be better, I don't like that type of ending.

I am avid on a general media subreddit (the Zaibatsu Super best friends play subreddit) and fuck me if I did not see and get a load of "darling in the franxx is HYPE but yo dat ending tho"

Someone even had this image to describe its ending.

5cO7ukKlul87PU7hD2JxPaXD6WJYFH6LHVgaawRw1Cs.jpg

Eh, seen the idea that Voldemort is an incompetent villain a while back, but given that the situation was rather interesting to say the least and for fuck's sake he would have won if it wasn't for one his subordinates fucking it up for him in book 2 and thus confirming what Dumbledore had theorized when Voldy was defeated that night.

I mean, when he wasn't dead in the First War, he shattered the Ministry of Magic so hard that it is a pure miracle that said Ministry still functions and was on the crisp of total victory that night; but the very moment he believed in a prophecy he sets up his downfall. Then when he came back, he went out of his way to bypass any and all protections Harry had... which pretty much worked. Once he and his posse of suppremists started mucking about, the Ministry -already severely weakened- pretty much went 'if you can't beat them, join them' outside of a handful of people and the Department of Mysteries.

Basically, Voldemort is a rather competent villain until his keystone advantage was discovered and sought out for destruction.

Eh, seen the idea that Voldemort is an incompetent villain a while back, but given that the situation was rather interesting to say the least and for fuck's sake he would have won if it wasn't for one his subordinates fucking it up for him in book 2 and thus confirming what Dumbledore had theorized when Voldy was defeated that night.

I mean, when he wasn't dead in the First War, he shattered the Ministry of Magic so hard that it is a pure miracle that said Ministry still functions and was on the crisp of total victory that night; but the very moment he believed in a prophecy he sets up his downfall. Then when he came back, he went out of his way to bypass any and all protections Harry had... which pretty much worked. Once he and his posse of suppremists started mucking about, the Ministry -already severely weakened- pretty much went 'if you can't beat them, join them' outside of a handful of people and the Department of Mysteries.

Basically, Voldemort is a rather competent villain until his keystone advantage was discovered and sought out for destruction.

Its a bit weird that some of those were not in more varied locations but hey I am not a paranoid pureblood supremacist maniac, well I am not a pureblood supremacist maniac. I am quite paranoid.

also why did Rowling make 7 a magic number research gives me no reason why in harry potter 7 is magically powerful.

Its a bit weird that some of those were not in more varied locations but hey I am not a paranoid pureblood supremacist maniac, well I am not a pureblood supremacist maniac. I am quite paranoid.

also why did Rowling make 7 a magic number research gives me no reason why in harry potter 7 is magically powerful.
Here's the thing, Voldy is also a sociopathic megalomaniac with some narcissism. He wanted to supplant the Hogwarts 4 as the greatest magicals of Britain... and the defenses he put onto them were pretty much 'pretty much no one less than his equal is dead'. Also, remember that Harry Potter-verse magic is more fairy tale magic than DnD/scientific style magic.

After for YEARS having my watching of Steins;Gate stuck at episode 22 (I once marathoned it, stopped midway because running out of time to continue, with the intention to pick up again soon-sih, but I ended up backlogged forever) I finally managed to pick up again and fnish the thing! Yay me. Good stuff.

Moving on straight after with the movie and currently still in the process of watching Steins;Gate 0 (ep 17 as of now)

Because in harry potter mystic numerology is real and Arithmancy is taught at hogwarts. And seven in christian numerology is the number of perfection and completion, taken from the seven days of the week which are in turned tied to god's creation of the universe in genesis. And since Advra Kedavra is a functional curse in Harry Potter that originates from the same tradition...

Other cultures and religious give seven powerful connotations for both mathematical reasons and being the number of days of the week in most calendars. Which results in most forms of numerology giving it special properties.

Wizard culture took the idea from the Latin/Christian culture. Wizard culture is nominally cristian as shown by the grave in Goodrich's Hollow, Christians believed that seven was an important magical number (seven heavens, seven deadly sins, seven sea), and Harry Potter wizards believe in numerology. And therefor so did Voldemort. He wouldn't pick five or six as they're numbers his tradition associates with man and therefor mortality, which in turn rules out ten. The other powerful numbers are either three or four which would give him less horocrux, or he could go all the way to twelve which has similar connotations to seven.

In short JK Rowling picked seven being magically important out of real world numerology, and thus didn't feel the need to explain real world mathematics in an already very long book.

Because in harry potter mystic numerology is real and Arithmancy is taught at hogwarts. And seven in christian numerology is the number of perfection and completion, taken from the seven days of the week which are in turned tied to god's creation of the universe in genesis. And since Advra Kedavra is a functional curse in Harry Potter that originates from the same tradition...

Other cultures and religious give seven powerful connotations for both mathematical reasons and being the number of days of the week in most calendars. Which results in most forms of numerology giving it special properties.

Wizard culture took the idea from the Latin/Christian culture. Wizard culture is nominally cristian as shown by the grave in Goodrich's Hollow, Christians believed that seven was an important magical number (seven heavens, seven deadly sins, seven sea), and Harry Potter wizards believe in numerology. And therefor so did Voldemort. He wouldn't pick five or six as they're numbers his tradition associates with man and therefor mortality, which in turn rules out ten. The other powerful numbers are either three or four which would give him less horocrux, or he could go all the way to twelve which has similar connotations to seven.

In short JK Rowling picked seven being magically important out of real world numerology, and thus didn't feel the need to explain real world mathematics in an already very long book.

That might explain why I have literally no idea what she was blathering on about. I wasn't raised on said cultures.

Read some Halo novels recently.

Contact Harvest was great. Cole Protocol is pretty good as well. Comparatively, The Flood was not so engaging.

Back
Top Bottom