What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWBY

yes, my general point is, that obsessive, possessive and violence is just who Adam is, towards everything. Even you can see that these traits can manifest in multiple different ways, I just never saw a point where Adam was so universally single minded with himself and blake.

Like yeah, a stalker has those traits, but Adam never seemed to manifest them in the way a stalker does, but rather someone who is much more actively malicious, "Join me or die" sorta way. if she didn't join him, she ded, if she runs away, then he goes back to doing his faunas revolution schtick. but this volume he decided to just follow her, and only her, to kill her as his one goal, seemingly with zero support from any of his old contacts. He was reduced down to a single motivating goal and trait, get blake, kill blake. I don't think that was ever his characterization.

Which I think even does the whole abusive ex plotline thing injustice. Just stabbit ded. it's not the most satisfying conclusion anyway to an arc with the concept of "Oh this guy has an obsession with you, and he happens to be overwhelmingly powerful" Which is a horrifying concept when you think about it.

In fact, as a character, adam kinda completely sorta encompasses the concept of the obsessive abuser. someone that's so powerful and vindictive, I think they could have done some very interesting stuff with it, and i think we got hints of that, like when we seen him hanging around outside and it 'seemed' like an illusion. In other words, playing up his more horrifying aspects, almost like a monster would have been a pretty interesting way to go. But even if we believe this is how his character has been since day one, I think what we got was pretty mediocre with a very quick pay off that didn't feel too deserved. at least to me ;p
The thing about Adam is that he does not have a story. He is a supporting character in Blake's Story. It's about Blake escaping from Adam's control, by recognizing her own inner strength and accepting help from the people who genuinely care about her (In all kinds of ways, be they Platonic, Familial, or romantic).

The thing about Adam is that he does not have a story. He is a supporting character in Blake's Story. It's about Blake escaping from Adam's control, by recognizing her own inner strength and accepting help from the people who genuinely care about her (In all kinds of ways, be they Platonic, Familial, or romantic).
yes that's true. but I think that brought in the natural problem of adams character being more of a plot device then a coherent character. which will make fans of him a little let down.

died in the middle of the white fang plotline seemingly (Didn't he literally kill their leader? What the heck happened there)

He killed the WFs leader, Seinna, so he could lead the WF in a war against humanity. This was stupid for many reasons. And, it does sorta make since that, after he ran away after trying to blow up a Hunter school ran by a Faunus, and his followers captured/surrendered by Blake's NeoWF. So, the rest of the OG WF abandoning him does, technically make since. Even if it's quite.. ha fisted. Very ham fisted.

Anywho, after the beginning of V6, where Adam killed the last of his supporters, or at least it seems that way, he really can't use the OG WF for anything now. So, he does the only thing he does, try to torment the people, including Blake, who took it away from him.

He killed the WFs leader, Seinna, so he could lead the WF in a war against humanity. This was stupid for many reasons. And, it does sorta make since that, after he ran away after trying to blow up a Hunter school ran by a Faunus, and his followers captured/surrendered by Blake's NeoWF. So, the rest of the OG WF abandoning him does, technically make since. Even if it's quite.. ha fisted. Very ham fisted.

Anywho, after the beginning of V6, where Adam killed the last of his supporters, or at least it seems that way, he really can't use the OG WF for anything now. So, he does the only thing he does, try to torment the people, including Blake, who took it away from him.
I mean, it all make a logical sense of sorts but wether it's good progression I feel is more subjective.

What happened? Odd to see a VA dropped mid-run unless it's big.

Allegations that he was homophobic (he would sign MalexMale fan art of characters he voiced, but it seemed he would for MalexFemale fan art), and that he acted inappropriate towards underaged fans. Or, at least that's from what I've heard. Though, Rooster Teeth themselves haven't confirmed why they're no longer associating with him or why he is no longer a VA on RWBY. But... It's quite obvious why they did.

Allegations that he was homophobic (he would sign MalexMale fan art of characters he voiced, but it seemed he would for MalexFemale fan art), and that he acted inappropriate towards underaged fans. Or, at least that's from what I've heard. Though, Rooster Teeth themselves haven't confirmed why they're no longer associating with him or why he is no longer a VA on RWBY. But... It's quite obvious why they did.
The hobophobia accusations aren't related to this. It's the "Acting inappropriate" bit that this is about

Okay, before we start, i just want to make one thing clear. I'm not a shipper and would have nothing against Yang and Blake being in a romantic relationship, had it been given on-screen development. The only problem is that there's zero evidence of this or that Blake and Yang are anything other then friends until possibly the V6 final. And if RT did plan Bumblebee to be in the cards all along, they went about it in one of the worse written way possible.

To me, romantic relationships should be established because the two have chemistry and support each other in a way they don't get from anyone else. But besides being aspiring Huntresses and good people, what do Blake and Yang have in common? Do they have similar hobbies? Similar ideals on something not a lot of people agree on? Can they talk for hours about a specific topic because both are so into it they loose track of time? Have they stated that they enjoy spending time together just because the other person is around? Do they strive to be more like the other person because something about them the other admires and or respects? No? Nothing? Then they don't have chemistry.

Also, the two of them get a hell of a lot more support from other people than they do each other. So it's not like one pulled the other out from a dark place or drastically changed them for the better. They did that by themselves without the other being around and weren't even inspired by the other person to do it.

Evidence for it includes, but is not limited to:
  • The fact that at no point in the entire show has Yang expressed attraction to men, and has at several points expressed frustration when she receives unsolicited attention from them
Demonstrably false. Volume 1, Chapter 3: the Shining Beacon Part 2.

Yang: It's like a big slumber party!
Ruby: (not looking up) I don't think Dad would approve of all the boys, though.
Yang: I know I do! (purrs as she watches several muscular, shirtless guys... and Jaune, dressed in feetie pajamas, waving to her, which makes her groan before she returns her attention to Ruby) What's that?

Also, Blake has repeatedly shown interest in guys. See her relationship with Adam (which might or might not have been retconned in V3 from friend/mentor figure to abusive boyfriend, but that's neither here nor there) and Sun being set up as a possible romantic option at the end of V1. Furthermore, there's also Illa's line in V5 (Alone Together) about Blake's previous relationship with Adam, as if there's any doubts that Blake was in love with the person she thought Adam was.
Ilia: I was always jealous of the way you looked at him [Adam]. (her spots turn pink) I wanted you to look at me that way. (she closes her eyes, and when she opens them, they are suddenly pink) But we can't always get what we want!

Also, before anyone brings up the bisexual-angle,I'd be willing to accept that...except it falls flat because we've never seen either character show or expressed any interest whatsoever in women romantically.

• The fact that the only person Yang is scene dancing with is Blake.
Actually, we don't see Yang dancing with anyone on screen at all. We're told that she wanted Blake's first dance for the evening. However, we're both told and shown that Sun is the one dancing with Blake the rest of that night.
Sun: Sooo, does this mean we're going... together?
Blake: Technically, though my first dance is spoken for.

You can actually see Blake and Sun dancing here, alongside Nora and Ren.

• The moment in Volume where Adam tells Blake that he'll kill everything she loves, and the camera immediately cuts to Yang looking for Blake
If you mean in V3, of course he said that. Given all the WF's encounters with team RWBY, Adam would probably know by now that Blake and Yang are partners, or at least on the same team. Not to mention even if Adam doesn't know anything about who Blake's been hanging around, consider the scene in question. Here he is, giving this speech to blake about destroying everything she cares about and suddenly he hears this Blonde girl running around trying to find Blake. Doesn't take a genuis to figure that they mean something to each other. And 'Love' doesn't just mean romantic love and I doubt Adam would just stop at people Blake loves romantically anyway. (As for V6, that's either extremely bad retconing by RT or Adam just seeing things because he's totally gone off the deep-end)

So, what would I have done?
1. I don't think that shipping should be a component in RWBY in general, given how short each episode is and how big the cast of characters are. Having whole plots dedicated to romance is an inefficient and unnecessary divergence from the main story.

2. If you really needed to put in shipping, AND Bumblebee was in the cards from the beginning AND it's central to the story in a way that can't be accomplished by Yang and Blake being friends...then RT should have removed Sun from the plot- as his role as companion and character to exposition dump at could easily have been taken up by Yang-, not spent two whole volumes teasing the idea of Sun/Blake being in a relationship when you could have used that time developing any pre-existing romantic feelings between Yang and Blake, stick with Adam being a mentor to Blake then someone she had a romantic interest in and just made it completely clear that Yang and Blake were attracted to each other from early on.
Bam! No shipping war, no confusion and the relationship has plenty of time to set up. As right now, it comes across as RT trying to say that Blake and Yang only really became interested in each other after defeating Adam, who'd been the source of so much mutual trauma for them. Which, to use some terminology so beloved on places like tumblr, is 'highly problematic'.

"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards."
-Garth Marenghi

So what I'm saying is, if the writers wanted to set up Bumblebee or have it happen, they had plenty of time to do so. But instead, all we're left with is the writers baiting the audience into believing in something thats not really there, and, while I don't claim to speak for them, I consider that an insult to the LGBT community that wants representation.

Okay, before we start, i just want to make one thing clear. I'm not a shipper and would have nothing against Yang and Blake being in a romantic relationship, had it been given on-screen development. The only problem is that there's zero evidence of this or that Blake and Yang are anything other then friends until possibly the V6 final. And if RT did plan Bumblebee to be in the cards all along, they went about it in one of the worse written way possible.

To me, romantic relationships should be established because the two have chemistry and support each other in a way they don't get from anyone else. But besides being aspiring Huntresses and good people, what do Blake and Yang have in common? Do they have similar hobbies? Similar ideals on something not a lot of people agree on? Can they talk for hours about a specific topic because both are so into it they loose track of time? Have they stated that they enjoy spending time together just because the other person is around? Do they strive to be more like the other person because something about them the other admires and or respects? No? Nothing? Then they don't have chemistry.

Also, the two of them get a hell of a lot more support from other people than they do each other. So it's not like one pulled the other out from a dark place or drastically changed them for the better. They did that by themselves without the other being around and weren't even inspired by the other person to do it.

Demonstrably false. Volume 1, Chapter 3: the Shining Beacon Part 2.

Also, Blake has repeatedly shown interest in guys. See her relationship with Adam (which might or might not have been retconned in V3 from friend/mentor figure to abusive boyfriend, but that's neither here nor there) and Sun being set up as a possible romantic option at the end of V1. Furthermore, there's also Illa's line in V5 (Alone Together) about Blake's previous relationship with Adam, as if there's any doubts that Blake was in love with the person she thought Adam was.

Also, before anyone brings up the bisexual-angle,I'd be willing to accept that...except it falls flat because we've never seen either character show or expressed any interest whatsoever in women romantically.

Actually, we don't see Yang dancing with anyone on screen at all. We're told that she wanted Blake's first dance for the evening. However, we're both told and shown that Sun is the one dancing with Blake the rest of that night.

You can actually see Blake and Sun dancing here, alongside Nora and Ren.

If you mean in V3, of course he said that. Given all the WF's encounters with team RWBY, Adam would probably know by now that Blake and Yang are partners, or at least on the same team. Not to mention even if Adam doesn't know anything about who Blake's been hanging around, consider the scene in question. Here he is, giving this speech to blake about destroying everything she cares about and suddenly he hears this Blonde girl running around trying to find Blake. Doesn't take a genuis to figure that they mean something to each other. And 'Love' doesn't just mean romantic love and I doubt Adam would just stop at people Blake loves romantically anyway. (As for V6, that's either extremely bad retconing by RT or Adam just seeing things because he's totally gone off the deep-end)

So, what would I have done?
1. I don't think that shipping should be a component in RWBY in general, given how short each episode is and how big the cast of characters are. Having whole plots dedicated to romance is an inefficient and unnecessary divergence from the main story.

2. If you really needed to put in shipping, AND Bumblebee was in the cards from the beginning AND it's central to the story in a way that can't be accomplished by Yang and Blake being friends...then RT should have removed Sun from the plot- as his role as companion and character to exposition dump at could easily have been taken up by Yang-, not spent two whole volumes teasing the idea of Sun/Blake being in a relationship when you could have used that time developing any pre-existing romantic feelings between Yang and Blake, stick with Adam being a mentor to Blake then someone she had a romantic interest in and just made it completely clear that Yang and Blake were attracted to each other from early on.
Bam! No shipping war, no confusion and the relationship has plenty of time to set up. As right now, it comes across as RT trying to say that Blake and Yang only really became interested in each other after defeating Adam, who'd been the source of so much mutual trauma for them. Which, to use some terminology so beloved on places like tumblr, is 'highly problematic'.

"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards."
-Garth Marenghi

So what I'm saying is, if the writers wanted to set up Bumblebee or have it happen, they had plenty of time to do so. But instead, all we're left with is the writers baiting the audience into believing in something thats not really there, and, while I don't claim to speak for them, I consider that an insult to the LGBT community that wants representation.

Oh my God, I have found a shred of sense in the RWBY fandom!?

Yang seems fluid in her preferences, so does that mean Sun is free to be with Kali Belladonna or Neptune?

So as someone who was disgruntled at how they handled the literal train wreck in the show (seriously, autofix?), got bored during the tournament arc (neptune team fight was one of the worst), and stopped around the time Ruby got left-field-super-power-laser-eyes (greatly disliked how all the bots were linked to one easily hacked network, Pyrra being Fridged, glasses man with the twisty plots and lies and obfuscation having it backfire on him), is it worth hopping back into?
Been told repeatedly to shy away from the SB RWBY thread as I heard fans there in that thread can get... passionate and heated about any criticism of the show. Only really watched in the first place because of Monty, and was already grumpy about how the show was structured in S1 & 2. Considering that they were in a school setting, I was hoping they would world-build inside the classroom. But nope, it's all literal "Blah, Blah, Blah" and secondary source came from Qrow in a different video info-dumping.

They're at what, Season 6 now?

the show is mostly equally bad. The first two third of volume 6 were really good. the last third. in my opinion was just terrible to watch and absolutely dunked on the shows momentum.

So as someone who was disgruntled at how they handled the literal train wreck in the show (seriously, autofix?), got bored during the tournament arc (neptune team fight was one of the worst), and stopped around the time Ruby got left-field-super-power-laser-eyes (greatly disliked how all the bots were linked to one easily hacked network, Pyrra being Fridged, glasses man with the twisty plots and lies and obfuscation having it backfire on him), is it worth hopping back into?
Been told repeatedly to shy away from the SB RWBY thread as I heard fans there in that thread can get... passionate and heated about any criticism of the show. Only really watched in the first place because of Monty, and was already grumpy about how the show was structured in S1 & 2. Considering that they were in a school setting, I was hoping they would world-build inside the classroom. But nope, it's all literal "Blah, Blah, Blah" and secondary source came from Qrow in a different video info-dumping.

They're at what, Season 6 now?
Honestly, I'm pretty heavily leaning towards dropping the show unless the next Volume is any good. And based on what we've been seeing from the writing and the voice actors? I'm not holding my breath there.

Volumes 4-5 range from mediocre to bad, Volume 6 looked like an improvement at first, but the more you think about certain things the more plot holes and characterization inconsistencies start showing up. Then the last three episodes happened and the quality corkscrewed into the ground.

I'd also recommend avoiding the SB RWBY thread. Things have gotten really bad there.

So... if Bumblebee is canon... does that mean Ruby is gonna end up with Weiss? :D

Maybe, maybe not. In the Ruby manga, which, to my knowledge, is partially canon(some portions are obviously non-canon, while some parts are technically canon until M&K contradict them. If I'm remembering correctly), Ruby shows attraction to guys, even wanting to find a boyfriend after reading a romance... Either novel or magazine. Then she goes to every team on campus with a male member and tries to figure out who would be her best boyfriend.

Though, there's also evidence in said manga that Weiss is bi. For example, after Ruby repeatedly failed to find a boyfriend, she eventually returns to her team, and then, if I remember correctly, pretends to flirt with Wiess. This causes Wiess to be quite... Embarrassed. Though, when Ruby reveals she was just joking, Wiess has a less than... Pleased response.

Of course, this is in the manga, which is partially canon, and can easily be contradicted...

... I don't think this text wall helped anyone. Welp.

Though, there's also evidence in said manga that Weiss is bi. For example, after Ruby repeatedly failed to find a boyfriend, she eventually returns to her team, and then, if I remember correctly, pretends to flirt with Wiess. This causes Wiess to be quite... Embarrassed. Though, when Ruby reveals she was just joking, Wiess has a less than... Pleased response.
This is the sorta baiting I absolutely despise.

Back
Top Bottom