What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWBY

DarthDakka

Author
Author
Thoughs, opinions and discussions on the eponymous show by Roosterteeth go here.

For me, I think that RWBY is suffering because Roosterteeth should have planned the story out more and that they're dividing what few resources they have among too many projects*. As right now, it feels like RT wants to do an epic fantasy saga, but doesn't have the time or skill to pull it off.

*For example, do we really need RWBY Chibi? Or the 100th season of Red vs Blue? Not to say they're bad shows, but when it comes to allocating your resources you've got to pick and choose.

Personally, I would have dropped the Relics plotline. I also would have dropped the idea of Ozpin reincarnating and being the wizard, giving more ambiguity to the origin of the Maidens and the creation myths of Remnant and the Grimm. Perhaps Cinder would want to capture Ozpin for the mystical knowledge and secrets he has. Also would have dropped Salem as well; would have kept the idea of Cinder working for someone, but not some Dark Queen Of the Grimm. As I feel giving the Grimm a human face was a mistake. Speaking of the Grimm- have them be more of a threat. Remember in Volume 1, how the heroes need to work to defeat elder Grimm like the nevermore? Let's have a bit more of that.

Another major point would be to focused more on Team RWBY from the start with JNPR being more in the background. I might have killed of Jaune instead of Pyrrha in Volume 3, as Pyrrha was obviously being set up to die and his death would have carried more weight.

That and either done more with showing the whole Faunus racism plot point or scrapped it entirely. Because as of right now, it's not really connected to the main plot outside of Blake and giving our heroes goons in the form of the White Fang to punch, which could easily be replaced with mercenaries or thugs. Plus the fact that we see so little of what's being set up as a major problem just makes the Faunus come across as crazy or a bunch of delusional whiners who don't know how good they have it.

Last edited:
So, here's my thoughts on the Volume 6 poster.

Well the art work and design is nice; but then that also applies to all the posters we've gotten so far.

The Grimm in the corner looks very fearsome - I hope it doesn't turn out to be quite the disappointment that the Drama Lama was. Personally, I think it's a tweaked version of the manticore Grimm design Rooserteeth teased.

Some people have pointed out how JNR not being on the cover means that we'll be seeing less of them this Volume. While I kind of hope that'll be true, I'd also point out that JNPR wasn't in any of the posters beside Volume 4's and they still got a fair amount of story focus in the other Volumes. And I'm not saying that because I dislike anyone on Team JNR, I just feel that RWBY needs more screen time to work through their issues and get back to being a team again.

As for the expression and position of the various characters of Team RWBY, I've seen quite a few people make a big deal out of that. Such as Ruby being in the front being evidence of Roosterteth's claimed commitment to actually giving her a roll more befitting of the main character and not one that could easily be likened to a mascot for the show.

The glaring problem with this theory is that Ruby was in a similar position and prominence on every Volume poster so far. The only exception being Volume 1's where, ironically, I'd say she had the biggest role in all the Volumes so far.

As for Ozpin and Oscar being there and being shown back to back, I'd say that maybe it could refer to some sort of conflict between then, possibly over some of Ozpin's secrets. Of course, given previous Volumes it's more then possible that, as with the expressions of the other characters, this is just myself and the RWBY fandom over-analyzing things and generally putting more time and thought into it then Rooserteeth itself probably did.

And as for Cinder's appearance- and yes, that is Cinder. Honestly, I'm not sure who bemuses me the most. People who are surprised that she's not dead or the people making up convoluted theories about how it's really Penny/Pyrrha/Summer in Cinder's body or something.

To start with, I and many other people thought from the get-go that Cinder wasn't dead for good. We've seen this game played before and know the rules. The fact that Rooserteeth continuously dodged around saying that Cinder was dead only all but confirmed it.

As for the idea that someone will be possessing Cinder, it's nonsense. We've been told repeatedly by Rooserteeth that Summer, Penny and Pyrrha are dead and gone for good. Plus the idea is just really absurd and it's not like we really need more characters in this show right now.

Now, as for my thoughts about Rooserteeth showing that Cinder will be back right out the gate, I'm undecided. On the one hand, I feel that this is Rooserteeth trying to damage control after Volume 5 were we got a ton of 'reveals' that we already knew about. On the other hand, I feel like it's almost an over-correction.

As for Cinder's role in this Volume, I hope we get a scene were Salem rightfully berates Cinder for her stupidity in the last Volume.

Likewise, an idea of my own that I really like- and one that other people have had- is that the Grimm in Cinder's body has spread in order to keep her alive after her defeat at Raven's hands. It's a nice consequence of her failure and will have repercussions throughout the rest of the story. Cinder is now more vulnerable- as seen in V5, Aura won't protect her Grimm bits- and every injure or defeat carriers with it the consequences of her losing more of her humanity. All and all a great way to show how her lust for power and control have quite literally consumed her.

Plus it'd be a great way to force some must-needed character development and real personality from Cinder. Though it might be too little to late to save her as an interesting villain. And before anyone points out V4 to me, I'd remind you that any growth Cinder had was minimalist at best and almost completely ditched during the battle of Haven. We still have no reason why she desires power badly enough to team up with Salem, or what she intends to do with that power once she obtained it. Frankly, I think RT would have been better served by hinting at her background in V2 or giving more details in V3.

Oh and to backtrack a little: I suspect that JNR will either stay in Mistral for some reason, or that they and Team RWBY will get separated at some point in the journey to Atlas.

Given how Sun's voice actor stated that he'd be getting a bigger role this Volume, I suspect that we'll be getting to Atlas via Vaccole. Which allows Sun to play the role as a guide and for RT to maybe do a bit of damage control about how Sun became an annoying comic relief character and just someone for Blake to bounce off of for the past two Volumes. Getting back to team RWBY, I expect that they'll either get separated from the main group by an unexpected Grimm attack or a sandstorm. The later is something we know Vacuole is infamous for- see the World of Remnant game back from V2 or the excuse given to hide the Warrior King's powers.

So RWBY gets split up from the rest of the group, we get an episode or three focused on just them. Then have RWBY meet up with the rest of the group in a village or something.

And... Volume six has ended, with thirteen Episodes. And...

... Now there is a controversy going on...

But, I really liked this Volume. Especially compared to five.

Anywho, what was everyone else's opinion on it?

Same here. Though, has been some... Controversy surrounding episodes eleven, twelve, and thirteen.

Adam's death being one of them.
Yeah that made me drop RWBY. they knew adam was a botched character, so they killed him. Off. But thats not a the main reason. RT LISTENING TO THE FUCKING SHIPPERS MAKES ME WANT TO REEEEEE!

Citations on the ship being planned from the start? Because it seems like pandering to me. Which is cancerous.
Evidence for it includes, but is not limited to:

• The fact that at no point in the entire show has Yang expressed attraction to men, and has at several points expressed frustration when she receives unsolicited attention from them
  • The fact that the only person Yang is scene dancing with is Blake.
  • The moment in Volume where Adam tells Blake that he'll kill everything she loves, and the camera immediately cuts to Yang looking for Blake

Yeah that made me drop RWBY. they knew adam was a botched character, so they killed him. Off. But thats not a the main reason. RT LISTENING TO THE FUCKING SHIPPERS MAKES ME WANT TO REEEEEE!
Adam wasn't a botched character. Fans simply misunderstood what Adam was. And the ship was planned from the start

This.

To me, it seems most people who are getting upset over Adam's death seem believe that the writers retconned his "character" in V3. And, to that I say, "What character"? The most we got for him in the Black trailer was "He has a cool design. He's a part of the WF. And he didn't seem to care about blowing up a train with innocent workers on it, probably including faunuses." And... That's it.

The fact that at no point in the entire show has Yang expressed attraction to men, and has at several points expressed frustration when she receives unsolicited attention from them

Well, there was one point early in V1 where Yang joked about boys before the initiation. But, to my knowledge, that's the only time she's ever expressed any sort of attraction to guys in the show, if you don't count the Yellow trailer, where she pretend flirts with Junior. Though, that seemed to be her completely messing with Junior, and no actual attraction to him.

Still pretty bad romance.
Just watch vexed viewer on youtube, he points out all the shit wrong with RWBY.

RWBY have some flaws from the beginning. Mounty Oum's passing away didn't help either but I do believe that Yang was intended to be attracted to her own gender from day one. Any time she talks about boys it either never seemed serious or she was teasing someone else.

I have to personally admit his character to me did a 180. he went from a driven, goal oriented sociopath that had implications of only ever using blake for his plans, to someone with an intense single minded obsession to follow blake around, got killed despite little powerup from his foes where he should have been much more effective having observed them for so long, died in the middle of the white fang plotline seemingly (Didn't he literally kill their leader? What the heck happened there)

Also I'm not going to get to into the flirting thing, but yes people flirt in jokey/teasy ways, why would that be evidence against it being a flirt, it's almost the definition of flirt.

And if they intended it from day one, they did a terrible job of it, I think Jaune and Pyrhha got significantly more romantic build up and screen time together in the first three volumes then yang and blake have ever got.

I actually have supported the idea of Bumblebee from pretty early on, and argued as towards it's merit for being further pursued in the future, but with the talk of the finale being a 'silent recognition of their love' or them being 'basically lovers' or some such, yes this arc to me leaves a significant amount to be desired and I fault no one that disagrees with it on a fundamental level.

Also can I just point out, that the idea of blake already having a crush on yang pre volume 3 is the worst idea I've ever heard, outside of I think one dance or something, there was exactly ZERO anything there at all.

also to go back to yang, bisexuality exists ya know, you'd probably have an easier time convincing people of that.

I have to personally admit his character to me did a 180. he went from a driven, goal oriented sociopath that had implications of only ever using blake for his plans, to someone with an intense single minded obsession to follow blake around, got killed despite little powerup from his foes where he should have been much more effective having observed them for so long, died in the middle of the white fang plotline seemingly (Didn't he literally kill their leader? What the heck happened there)

Also I'm not going to get to into the flirting thing, but yes people flirt in jokey/teasy ways, why would that be evidence against it being a flirt, it's almost the definition of flirt.

And if they intended it from day one, they did a terrible job of it, I think Jaune and Pyrhha got significantly more romantic build up and screen time together in the first three volumes then yang and blake have ever got.

I actually have supported the idea of Bumblebee from pretty early on, and argued as towards it's merit for being further pursued in the future, but with the talk of the finale being a 'silent recognition of their love' or them being 'basically lovers' or some such, yes this arc to me leaves a significant amount to be desired and I fault no one that disagrees with it on a fundamental level.

Also can I just point out, that the idea of blake already having a crush on yang pre volume 3 is the worst idea I've ever heard, outside of I think one dance or something, there was exactly ZERO anything there at all.

also to go back to yang, bisexuality exists ya know, you'd probably have an easier time convincing people of that.

Which is why I said RWBY have flaws from day one.

Cut the bullshit. Cite scenes from the show that support your interpretation
I don't have to justify my opinion to you. nor you to me.

But this is the issue with neglecting to develop a character that's present for multiple seasons enough, and then dumping all of that development into two episodes and killing them off, people make up their minds about characters really quickly based off what you give them.

Sure, You may feel very good about this, as you could have predicted that Adam was in fact a stalker with a very deep obsession to a degree where it would forego the rest of his goals.

My interpretation was always that he had a superiority complex towards humanity, blake challenged that, and with his ideology that made her the antithesis of his beliefs and order of the world. And thanks to her previous life as being close to adam, made adam put a lot of that hate towards her, as he used his past to emotionally manipulate her, which generally worked well for a long time and made it easier for him to pursue his greater goal of faunas revolution and such. I never got the vibes that a pursuit of blake was what motivated him, in fact I got the opposite, wherein he's simply motivated by control, and blake running away represents only a single facet of his psyche, never an obsession to eclipse the rest of his beliefs.

I don't have to justify my opinion to you. nor you to me.

But this is the issue with neglecting to develop a character that's present for multiple seasons enough, and then dumping all of that development into two episodes and killing them off, people make up their minds about characters really quickly based off what you give them.

Sure, You may feel very good about this, as you could have predicted that Adam was in fact a stalker with a very deep obsession to a degree where it would forego the rest of his goals.

My interpretation was always that he had a superiority complex towards humanity, blake challenged that, and with his ideology that made her the antithesis of his beliefs and order of the world. And thanks to her previous life as being close to adam, made adam put a lot of that hate towards her, as he used his past to emotionally manipulate her, which generally worked well for a long time and made it easier for him to pursue his greater goal of faunas revolution and such.
The first significant bit of characterization Adam had was in the V3 finale, where the fact that he was a stalker was very, very evident.

The first significant bit of characterization Adam had was in the V3 finale, where the fact that he was a stalker was very, very evident.
uhhh no, not at all, A stalker stalks, they don't chase you around and stab you, those are different things.

stalkers are obsessive, possessive, and often violent
yes, my general point is, that obsessive, possessive and violence is just who Adam is, towards everything. Even you can see that these traits can manifest in multiple different ways, I just never saw a point where Adam was so universally single minded with himself and blake.

Like yeah, a stalker has those traits, but Adam never seemed to manifest them in the way a stalker does, but rather someone who is much more actively malicious, "Join me or die" sorta way. if she didn't join him, she ded, if she runs away, then he goes back to doing his faunas revolution schtick. but this volume he decided to just follow her, and only her, to kill her as his one goal, seemingly with zero support from any of his old contacts. He was reduced down to a single motivating goal and trait, get blake, kill blake. I don't think that was ever his characterization.

Which I think even does the whole abusive ex plotline thing injustice. Just stabbit ded. it's not the most satisfying conclusion anyway to an arc with the concept of "Oh this guy has an obsession with you, and he happens to be overwhelmingly powerful" Which is a horrifying concept when you think about it.

In fact, as a character, adam kinda completely sorta encompasses the concept of the obsessive abuser. someone that's so powerful and vindictive, I think they could have done some very interesting stuff with it, and i think we got hints of that, like when we seen him hanging around outside and it 'seemed' like an illusion. In other words, playing up his more horrifying aspects, almost like a monster would have been a pretty interesting way to go. But even if we believe this is how his character has been since day one, I think what we got was pretty mediocre with a very quick pay off that didn't feel too deserved. at least to me ;p

Back
Top Bottom