What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWBY fanfiction and discussion thread

So, I guess I should open up by asking what characterization people give Willow, particularly pre-alcholism.

My idea (as shown in Superior Jack Frost) is that she's adventurous, cares little of the bureaucracy of SDC, and drinks responsibly. When captured by bandits, she isn't scared and instead works on an escape plan instantly.

So, I guess I should open up by asking what characterization people give Willow, particularly pre-alcholism.

My idea (as shown in Superior Jack Frost) is that she's adventurous, cares little of the bureaucracy of SDC, and drinks responsibly. When captured by bandits, she isn't scared and instead works on an escape plan instantly.
Given how little we know of her, I'd say that's as much of a possibility as any. Though don't get me wrong, I do like your take on her character. Makes her interesting, shows how far she fell and where her children get some of their personality from.

Well that mostly depends on how bad this story's Jacques can screw up and something tells me someone who knows jack and shit about the world of Remnant can do a better job than Jacques :p
Personally, I think Jacques was actually both ruthless, good at hding his intentions and clever. He wouldn't have been able to marry Willow, fool everyone about what sort of person he is and still keep the SDC running if he was an idiot.

A story set in stone age/medivial times
Grimm EVERYWERE.
survival rates?
Lol.
Sanity?
There is none among the infinite dark...

A story set in stone age/medivial times
Grimm EVERYWERE.
survival rates?
Lol.
Sanity?
There is none among the infinite dark...
Personally, I'd go for something around the time of the Great War. 1930-1940 kind of tech and guns with some sweet,sweet Dieselpunk tech thrown in. Plus you can draw on the Cthulhu mythos in various oblique ways with the Grimm. Maybe have some cults worships Salem and the Grimm or something.

Personally, I'd go for something around the time of the Great War. 1930-1940 kind of tech and guns with some sweet,sweet Dieselpunk tech thrown in. Plus you can draw on the Cthulhu mythos in various oblique ways with the Grimm. Maybe have some cults worships Salem and the Grimm or something.
SALEM FTHAGN.

SALEM FTHAGN.
Exactly. Especially if you go with the idea that, like nyarlathotep, Salem's humanoid form isn't her true appearance. Plus setting in in thet atime period means you've still got acess tofirearms and maybe the first of the mecha-shifting weapondry RWBy is so famous for.

Speaking of fanfiction, here's something I've written up for the next chapter of Silver Eyes and Shadow Games. While it does focus on the original characters, team RWBY is discussed pretty heavily as are the events of a (somewhat altered) version of the Volume 1 final fight against the White Fang at the dockyard. Any and all feedback and comments are appreciated.

A dozen yards away on a dark rooftop several stories above the battle-scarred ground, Shaidar Gorthule rose up to his feet from the low crouch he'd spent the past few minutes in. Besides him, he was aware of Paula Ravenwood doing the same with her customary predatory grace. They could afford to now that the battle was over.

As the pair stood, Shaidar dispelled the energy shield that had protected them in favor of a soundproof barrier, like the one he'd created in the alleyway that morning. At the same time, he enlarged the illusion he'd created around them.

Having arrived just before Yang and Weiss did, Shaidar hadn't doubted for a moment that his shield would protect himself and Paula from any stray shots or debris kicked up by the battle below. Instead, his concern had been more focused on avoiding being noticed. Which was what would happen if anyone would happen to see a piece of shrapnel bouncing off of what was appeared to be thin air and decided to investigate.

A risk that was made all the greater thanks the Fanus's better-then-human night vision. That was why they'd been crouched low on the roof- to make themselves as small of a target as they could, while still being able to to get a good view of what was happening. Like all Techno-mages, Shaidar could choose to see in the dark thanks to his cybernetics.

Of course, they could have used his sensors to remotely view the fight at a greater distances. There were certainly Techno-mages in the Order who would have. But there was something to be said for seeing a battle in person.

Peering over the edge of the roof, Shaidar and Paula looked on as several police officers left their squad cars and approached the five teenagers. And from an official-looking gray car, strode a stern-looking blonde woman in business-attire, as well as a purple and black cape of a strange design. She moved with speed the self-assurance of someone who did not have time for delays.

As he'd done since the battle ended, Shaidar continued to use his Techno-mage cybernetics to filter out background noises and enhanced others so he could easily hear what was being said between the people below. He fed the result through a hologram in the palm of his hand so Paula could hear it as well.

The conversation that followed mostly focused on police procedures and the various individuals agreeing to come to the police station to tell what had happened. Outside of learning some more names and a few tidbits about how the police operated in Vale, it didn't tell Shaidar anything he couldn't have found out otherwise.

Which couldn't be said for the earlier conversation between the five teenagers that had been interrupted by the arrival of the police.

Back when he'd first encountered the three teenagers, Shaidar Gorthule had wondered if Blake's friends were unaware that she was a Faunus. Or if they had known but simply had decided not to say for one of any number of reasons. As his scanners had easily picked up that she was a Faunus when she and Sun had walked by himself and Paula even earlier in the day. At the time, all this had been a momentary curiosity on his part. Now, it could mean something more.

It was only after the teenagers had departed with their professor- Glynda Goodwitch, if he'd heard right- that he shut down the hologram and the transmission. He turned his inhuman eyes, dark green irises flecked with orange, cat-like slits for pupils and a black sclera, to Paula. Her hand still hadn't left her holstered energy pistol.

He broke the silence the pair of them had held for what might seem like a medium sized eternity.

"Well, that was unexpected. Still, I've found this whole experience to be rather enlightening." Shaidar Gorthule said, his voice almost conversational. After all, it was always better to know of a potential enemy's existence before they knew of yours. And what he'd seen here had revealed much to him.

He recalled the words of an ancient Terran military treatise, the Art of War. 'If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.'

That understanding was part of what had driven him when he'd first started learning about this world. To discover as much knowledge as he could of its strengths and weakness before taking any serious action- both for Paula's sake and for his own. Besides, it was common sense to seek out understanding instead of committing blindly. At least so long as circumstances allowed for it.

A breath of air off the harbor carried a tang of salt, replacing the smell of burned metal and Dust from the battle below.

"That's one way of putting it. So much for Faunus extremists not being a problem. Assuming that this is the same White Fang we've been hearing about." Paula's voice carried the same undertone of quite concern that'd been in his own.

Shaidar thought of the Faunus they'd seen retreating. The blatant symbolism behind the White Fang's Grimm-masks and secretive outfits hadn't escaped him. Be it the first time he'd seen them or here. Stuck halfway between a street-gang and army, the White Fang were forced to lean on intimidation to make up for it.

"That they are. Obviously the local intelligence on them was inaccurate, if not outright wrong. Did you pick up anything from them?"

Soon after they'd arrived at the docks, Paula had suggested using her telepathy to 'listen in' on the surface thoughts being projected by the people below. Shaidar hadn't even considered it before she'd suggested it. Which hadn't stopped him from agreeing to it. He had no qualms about accepting a useful idea merely because it wasn't his own.

Neither Shaidar or Paula had been concerned about possible telepathic defenses. From what Paula had told him earlier that day, whatever defenses Aura might grant against telepathy, they hadn't stopped her from accidentally picking up on people's stray thoughts. Plus, doing this would be a passive use of her abilities. It wouldn't intrude into anyone's mind and set off any defenses there.

"A few things. Our friend with the black bowler hat is named Roman Torchwick. Seems he's human- and I got the impression they weren't happy about working with him. He treats them like he's famous or some sort of big shot. He thinks he is too. Loves the sound of his own voice. Does that mean anything to you?"

Data scrolled across Shaidar's eyes as he searched the CCTS for information. His sensors had already told him that Roman was human, but he didn't bother pointing that out to Paula. "From what I can find, he's an impressive thief. No sign of him working with the Fang before now. Which isn't half as odd as the Fang working with a human. Anything else?"

"From the Fang? Nothing besides a few scattered names from people who were checking to see if their buddies made it. Most of them were too busy to be broadcasting their thoughts about anything useful. I did get a few thing from Blake and the teacher."

"Go on."

"It might be nothing, but Glynda seems to think that Beacon's Headmaster has high hopes for Team RWBY." Here, Paula's voice turned thoughtful. "Which could just mean he sees them as promising students. Even with them holding back, I can see why too. Doubly so with Ruby. Recklessness aside, the kid has potential. More than I thought she did at first."

Shaidar would have found it hard not to agree. Team RWBY had fought with a level of not just skill, but teamwork that he wouldn't have expected from teenagers, even first year students. They'd preformed moves together with barely a glance between them. Trust like that did not come easy.

Without it, even the best trained troops would hesitate; thinking through their actions rather than reacting according to their training. All the more impressive was that the Huntresses-In-Training managed to hold out when they couldn't use most of their abilities with the risk of setting off the Dust in the cargo containers.

Even before Paula had spoke, Shaidar knew he wasn't the only one to notice RWBY's leader. While one part of this mind had focused on the battle going on below them, another part had been keeping track of his companion's expression and actions. As had been the case back when he and Paula had stood outside of Vale, it was thanks to the command and control modules in his brain that allowed him to multitask so efficiently.

"They are quite impressive." He agreed. "From what I've seen of students their age, I'd even go so far to say that they're prodigies. Speaking of which, you mentioned Blake?"

"Yes. I got the impression that there's more going on here between her and the White Fang." Paula replied, "Her reaction, her emotions to everything that happened tonight was too personal. Even more so about this Roman Torchwick and the White Fang working together. That was a big shock for her. She was carrying around a lot of guilt too. Mind you, I'm not certain. But between her feeling and what I could pick up from Weiss, I think Blake might be ex-White Fang."

For a long moment, Shaidar Gorthule stood there, the possibilities and potentials flipping through his mind at top speed as he gazed out on the wreckage of the battle and the police officers scurrying through it.

Along side his command and control cybernetics, Shaidar also had a set of secondary neural implants. These neural modules were a database that helped increase his tactical and strategic awareness on an almost instinctual level. They were much like his watered down version of the Shadow's genetic memory in that regard.

As with his primary set of neural implants, they were not uncommon among those who worked for the Shadows. The Shadows had long used them to quickly ingrain the knowledge of the ways of war into the minds of new servants. Though even with their advanced technologies, there were limits on how many neural implants their servants could have, with two being the limit.

Turning back to Paula and meeting her golden gaze, he said, "I think we can both agree that there's something more going on here. Even with someone who's Semblance can hide Bullheads, this is a major change in scale and tactics for the Fang. We need to investigate what's happening. See if we need to involve ourselves- I don't see the point in borrowing trouble when we've got enough already."

"Sticking our heads in the sand won't help." Paula agreed. "Though I'm curious to hear why you think this isn't some act of desperation to get Dust to use or sell. Or maybe a feint to draw attention towards Vale? Even if Team RWBY hadn't shown up and there wasn't a fight, I'm sure someone would have noticed the crates missing in the morning. With how much the Fang hate the Schnees, they'd be a prime suspect."

"Those are possibilities." The Shadow-human hybrid agreed. "Although I find it difficult to imagine how the Fang would have allowed their situation to become this desperate. Then there's the matter of why they'd need so much Dust in a hurry. That they did this here instead of a more remote spot is also telling. The Fang need the Dust in Vale. If not, they're going to have a difficult time selling that much Dust or getting it out of the Kingdom undetected. Those VTOLs don't have much range and an illusion Semblance can only do so much."

He wondered if the upcoming Vytal Festival could be the White Fang's target. It was possible, but also an obvious target. Perhaps too much of one, Shaidar reflected. It could be that the Fang wantedtheir enemies to assume that they would attack Vytal Festival as an elaborate distraction to hide their true objective.

There was also the manner of attack to consider as well. While an incident at the Vytal festival could serve as a statement against the Kingdoms and a way to further divide and radicalize the Faunus, driving more of them into the arms of the White Fang. But it would carry with it considerable risk of backfiring. Justifying the Kingdoms taking major action against the White Fang in a war the Faunus group could not win. All were things that any leader would have to consider.

"As for a feint," he continued, "our arrival already gave the Fang a more than adequate distraction. Having a raid occur on the same day risks drawing too much attention for too little gain. Consider that and their willingness to fight until the last moment. The Fang were worried about being able to acquire Dust before everything had calmed down from our arrival. So they're on a time table of some kind."

That the White Fang were willing to work with a human that they disliked could mean that their racism against humans had been overstated. Though Shaidar Gorthule found it more likely that their alliance came from Torchwick being able to give them something they wanted. Perhaps they were even a catspaw for someone else. Maybe even both; maybe any number of other reasons. There were too many unknowns and variables to be certain yet.

Still, it could open up the possibility of him and Paula allying themselves with the Faunus group. Though personally Shaidar was skeptical of the viability of such an arrangement. Also, he knew Paula wouldn't easily go along with it.

"Well, that makes sense," Paula acknowledged. "Speaking of which, I assume that we'll start by looking into Torchwick's background? Because if we are, we should try to look into the other names I picked up as well. They could be in a criminal database or watch list."

He nodded. "An excellent idea. As for Team RWBY," Shaidar Gorthule, Hand of the Shadows, personal servant of the Lords and Ladies of Chaos gave a faint smile, "if what you're saying about Blake is true, they might be worth keeping an eye on as well."

Well, from what we know of her father who personally traveled with his Dust shipments, he was probably a fighter. Bandits and Grimm probably attacked him.

She probably took after him a little.

Well, from what we know of her father who personally traveled with his Dust shipments, he was probably a fighter. Bandits and Grimm probably attacked him.

She probably took after him a little.
Did he now? Must have forgotten when that was mentioned in World of Remnant. That's actually kind of impressive.

Last edited:
Did he now? Must have forgotten when that was mentioned in World of Remnant. That's actually kind of impressive.
I may be mis-remembering but he was definitely no pushover. Weiss clearly has a disdain for her father and fears he will ruin the Schnee name. This may be what she was talking about... I would have to rewatch it.

I may be mis-remembering but he was definitely no pushover. Weiss clearly has a disdain for her father and fears he will ruin the Schnee name. This may be what she was talking about... I would have to rewatch it.
No need. http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Schnee_Dust_Company_(WoR_episode)

Fast forward just a few years and the name Schnee suddenly meant something: quality, affordability, trust. See, all those years spent in combat school was so that Nick could personally oversee every new expedition. People appreciate a man who's willing to stick his neck out for them, and it's how the Schnee Dust Company earned the business of every Kingdom in Remnant.

So, someone over on the RWBY reddit asked what villains do you want to get more backstory/depth to them in V6? Besides being curious to hear your thoughts on this, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this as well.

All of them. But especially:

Cinder:
Only if she's coming back soon- if not save that until she returns. And if she's not coming back at all-which I doubt- maybe a little detail would be nice, but I'd rather save as much time as possible for the heroes and the antagonists who still matter.

Leo:
At least a little bit here, since he's dead- no need to really do a lot of backstory. But I'd still like to know why Ozpin trusted him and how he met Salem.

Salem:
I get Roosterteeth is trying to keep her a mystery, but least give us some idea of her backstory and why she wants the Relics. To use them? To destroy them? Is she just a very old Grimm or was she once human? Does she have any magical abilities?

Raven:
Not that she's really an antagonist anymore and I don't think RT can undo making her more of a pathetic edgelord then freakin' ADAM, but something would be nice.

Speaking of Adam, I don't think you really can do anything with his backstory. Roosterteeth seems fully committed to the idea that Adam was always a manipulative and abusive shit; and that Blake was simply blind to the sort of person he was from the start.

Which is a damn shame- but then, the whole Faunus/White Fang plot in general has been sort of slap-dash. With Roosterteeth unwilling or unable to give it the level of thought such a plot requires. Consequently, everyone looks like idiots (looking at you, Ghira in the Adam short), evil or a bunch of whiny morons. As outside of the SDC and a sign in Mistral, we've seen precious little of any Faunus oppression or racism. And Cardin is just an asshole to everyone and there's no sign that any of his classmates besides his team approved of his bullying of Velvet- no one was cheering him on, literally or metaphorically. So much for the faunus being 'crushed by cruel human rule'.

Am I the only one who'd be fine if it turned out Neo was living a happy life on the straight and narrow?

Only if she's coming back soon- if not save that until she returns. And if she's not coming back at all-which I doubt- maybe a little detail would be nice, but I'd rather save as much time as possible for the heroes and the antagonists who still matter.
If she does come back, she certainly won't be human. We have been hinted at that with her Grimm arm.
At least a little bit here, since he's dead- no need to really do a lot of backstory. But I'd still like to know why Ozpin trusted him and how he met Salem.
Could be Ozpin is a moron. Really hard to hide cowardice of that kind.
I get Roosterteeth is trying to keep her a mystery, but least give us some idea of her backstory and why she wants the Relics. To use them? To destroy them? Is she just a very old Grimm or was she once human? Does she have any magical abilities?
This is by far the only thing I am interested in.
Not that she's really an antagonist anymore and I don't think RT can undo making her more of a pathetic edgelord then freakin' ADAM, but something would be nice.
Only way she can be redeemed is sacrificing herself for the daughter she pretty much disowned. Even then, that sucks.
Speaking of Adam, I don't think you really can do anything with his backstory. Roosterteeth seems fully committed to the idea that Adam was always a manipulative and abusive shit; and that Blake was simply blind to the sort of person he was from the start.
I hate this characterization.
Which is a damn shame- but then, the whole Faunus/White Fang plot in general has been sort of slap-dash. With Roosterteeth unwilling or unable to give it the level of thought such a plot requires. Consequently, everyone looks like idiots (looking at you, Ghira in the Adam short), evil or a bunch of whiny morons. As outside of the SDC and a sign in Mistral, we've seen precious little of any Faunus oppression or racism. And Cardin is just an asshole to everyone and there's no sign that any of his classmates besides his team approved of his bullying of Velvet- no one was cheering him on, literally or metaphorically. So much for the faunus being 'crushed by cruel human rule'.
There was an instance of Faunus Discrimination when Qrow went into Mistral's ?Slums?" to look for other Huntsmen to help defend Haven. However, that is one example, and the rest of what you said, I agree with. Its told they are oppressed but they have done a bad job showing it.

If she does come back, she certainly won't be human. We have been hinted at that with her Grimm arm.
Question is, will the Grim arm have 'assimilated' the rest of Cinder's body to keep it/her alive or will Cinder have more replacement Grimm parts grafted onto her?

Could be Ozpin is a moron. Really hard to hide cowardice of that kind.
I'd rather he wasn't- goodness knows he's dropped the ball already enough times. I already question why Team RWBY-JNR is following this guy.

This is by far the only thing I am interested in.
I'm more or less the same. Emerald and Mercury have been given all the back-story they need. Hazel might get some more to try and make him look less like a moron. Watt's is fine just how he is. And Chuckles the Scorpion Faunus aka Tyrian is crazy.

Only way she can be redeemed is sacrificing herself for the daughter she pretty much disowned. Even then, that sucks.
That or something similar. Which is a shame, as Raven had the potential to be an interesting character.

I hate this characterization.
Same here. Some moral ambiguity would actually work wonders for the setting and story. As well as giving Ruby an adversary that can really challenge her beliefs and can't just be dismissed as evil.

There was an instance of Faunus Discrimination when Qrow went into Mistral's ?Slums?" to look for other Huntsmen to help defend Haven. However, that is one example, and the rest of what you said, I agree with. Its told they are oppressed but they have done a bad job showing it.
That was the aforementioned sign in Mistral I mentioned.

Question is, will the Grim arm have 'assimilated' the rest of Cinder's body to keep it/her alive or will Cinder have more replacement Grimm parts grafted onto her?
I think it would be grafted one. Especially because she seems to hide her arm. Considering her damage after Volume 3, it was probably cut off by Ruby in Silver Eyes mode.
I'd rather he wasn't- goodness knows he's dropped the ball already enough times. I already question why Team RWBY-JNR is following this guy.
He hasn't mislead them yet, I guess. At least, it was not his intention. He just hid his intentions well.
Hazel might get some more to try and make him look less like a moron
Hey, I liked Hazel. He seems like the kind of guy who isn't following Salem because he agrees with her, but more so that he is mad at Ozpin for what happened to his younger sister.
That or something similar. Which is a shame, as Raven had the potential to be an interesting character.
They fucked her character.
That was the aforementioned sign in Mistral I mentioned.
Oh, didnt notice. Sorry :<

May be some spoilers involved, but does anyone have a problem with how the characters acted in episode 2 of the new season?

Like, the fact that the teammates would even try to raise their weapons at their own allies? You think that is taking things a bit too far?
They have fought together and such, and while it seems like a dick move for Ozpin to not tell them the whole truth, it hardly seems like a good enough reason to then raise your weapons at your own allies.

Last edited:
May be some spoilers involved, but does anyone have a problem with how the characters acted in episode 2 of the new season?

Like, the fact that the teammates would even try to raise their weapons at their own allies? You think that is taking things a bit too far?
They have fought together and such, and while it seems like a dick move for Ozpin to not tell them the whole truth, it hardly seems like a good enough reason to then raise your weapons at your own allies.
I personally see it as a heat of the moment kind of thing. They've been through so much and they've just had enough with Ozpin holding stuff back. And Qrow's pretty much been giving excuses for Ozpin whenever he wasn't around. Not to mention how many people Ozpin's actions have endangered.

I personally see it as a heat of the moment kind of thing. They've been through so much and they've just had enough with Ozpin holding stuff back. And Qrow's pretty much been giving excuses for Ozpin whenever he wasn't around. Not to mention how many people Ozpin's actions have endangered.
Do you think he will be pissed and take this as another betrayal? He practically attacked Ruby before Jinn showed the vision.

Back
Top Bottom