What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWBY fanfiction and discussion thread

I have a half-humorous, half- serious head canon that the various retcons and mistakes we've seen are the result of someone using one of the Relics or some other powerful artifact to manipulate the time-line. Which is an idea I'm half-tempted to make into a serious fanfic.

Examples:
  • Why Ozpin and Company didn't suspect that the mysterious woman Glynda fought in episode 1 wasn't the one who attacked Amber.
  • A minor one, but Weiss switching between her school uniform and Huntress uniform between The Badge and the Burden Part 1 and 2.
  • Why the Ozlumnati didn't put more effort in trying to find out if the intruder into Beacon's CCT tower put in some sort of computer virus after the events of Dance Dance Infiltration.
  • Raven's conversation with Yang at the end of V2.
  • Salem believing Ozpin was dead for good despite the two of them fighting each other for goodness knows how long and Lionheart being a mole within Ozpin's circle in Volume 4.
  • Ruby forgetting that the Grimm she tried to 1-v-1 wasn't a Nevermore, but a Deathstalker back in Volume 1's Players and Pieces.
  • The aforementioned contradiction between between the end of V5's Rest and Resolutions and the start of A Perfect Storm.

Wait, there were retcons?
Why the Ozlumnati didn't put more effort in trying to find out if the intruder into Beacon's CCT tower put in some sort of computer virus after the events of Dance Dance Infiltration.
Or at the very least, if there was some kind of tampering.
Raven's conversation with Yang at the end of V2.
In V3, I was wondering if they just forgot about it but then we get a half assed explanation of what happened.
Salem believing Ozpin was dead for good despite the two of them fighting each other for goodness knows how long and Lionheart being a mole within Ozpin's circle in Volume 4.
Maybe she didn't really believe that he was dead for good. Maybe she was hoping that he was weakened as a result, making it easier for her. Ozpin did say that every time he reincarnated, he loses a part of himself as he melds with his new host.
The aforementioned contradiction between between the end of V5's Rest and Resolutions and the start of A Perfect Storm.
Which contradiction was that again? I just watch the show now and I try not to think too much into it as it seems like the writers aren't either.

Ok, I'll quit my RWBY hiatus tomorrow.

A quick question before I start though. Is volume 5 really as bad as people claim?

Also R.I.P. Pilot Boi.

Ok, I'll quit my RWBY hiatus tomorrow.

A quick question before I start though. Is volume 5 really as bad as people claim?

Also R.I.P. Pilot Boi.
That's a difficult question to answer. There are YouTube videos detailing why it is not as good as people think, a lot better than I can.

One issue is that the entire volume jumped around a lot and that a few scenes from a few episodes really could have been condensed into just 1 episode. Like how the Belladonna mansion was under attack, and how it spanned 3 episodes, the scenes jumping between Mistral and Menagerie.

Another, I guess small and petty detail, is how all the villains are easily defeated after they were shown to be dangerous.

Adam simply gets knocked down by Blake.

Mercury, someone who is an expert at hand to hand, is easily tricked by Ruby, who had only a couple days worth of hand to hand experience, with a simple headbutt.

I forgot his name... but another guy is practically on a Dust-injected roid-rage and is likewise easily beaten.

It makes you wonder how the villains got so far being so incompetent.

Wait, there were retcons?
Yang and Raven's conversation at the end of Volume 2 being made non-canon and Ruby forgetting what grimm she tried to solo back in the V1 initiation at Beacon.

Or at the very least, if there was some kind of tampering.
Which is made all the more egregious given that Cinder left a calling card on the computer in the form of the Black Queen piece being shown on the screen of the computer she was using. Something both Ruby and General Ironwood spotted.

In V3, I was wondering if they just forgot about it but then we get a half assed explanation of what happened.
What explanation? Oh you mean Yang and Qrow talking about Raven, yes? That was more about the 'why' Raven acted like she did and not whatever Raven was going to talk to Yang about.

Maybe she didn't really believe that he was dead for good. Maybe she was hoping that he was weakened as a result, making it easier for her. Ozpin did say that every time he reincarnated, he loses a part of himself as he melds with his new host.
No, he only said that about his magical powers in relation to granting the Branwen twins the power of shapeshifting. (Unless I'm really managing to forget something)

Which contradiction was that again? I just watch the show now and I try not to think too much into it as it seems like the writers aren't either.
Believe me, I wish I could stop noticing the details the writers are messing up.

Well, at the end of Rest and Resolutions, Emerald, under instruction of Cinder, is shown drawing their weapons when the bandit at the gate won't say if Raven was home. All but setting up some sort of fight between Raven and Cinder in the next episode.

While at the beginning of A Perfect Storm, Emerald, Mercury, Cinder and Watts are shown patiently waiting within the Bandit camp to speak with Raven.

Yang and Raven's conversation at the end of Volume 2 being made non-canon and Ruby forgetting what grimm she tried to solo back in the V1 initiation at Beacon.
Were they actually said to be retcons by RT?
No, he only said that about his magical powers in relation to granting the Branwen twins the power of shapeshifting. (Unless I'm really managing to forget something)
I wouldn't throw out the possibility that I am likewise mis-remembering.
Well, at the end of Rest and Resolutions, Emerald, under instruction of Cinder, is shown drawing their weapons when the bandit at the gate won't say if Raven was home. All but setting up some sort of fight between Raven and Cinder in the next episode.
Oh yeah, I remember that.

Honestly, the latest episodes are kinda getting me interested again which means I am obligated to also complain about some problems I am having with the show.

Firstly: Just how fast we got a backstory for Salem. Just last season everyone has finally seen just who Salem is but this is a small problem.

Second: How everyone treated Ozpin after the revelation... Like... they have just seen that Gods actually exist, and that the enemy they are fighting was made immortal by said gods (we will get to that in a minute...) but everyone's reaction is pretty much just... "Lol wat, you have no plan Ozpin? You piece of shit!"

I mean... give the guy props. He has spent multiple lifetimes fighting a battle that as far as he's concerned, he can't win. Lesser men would have lost their minds at that point and instead, they just shit on the guy. Also, why would they ask if he has a plan to stop Salem when he was originally brought back, not to stop Salem, but to bring the Gods back?

Third: Are they not going to address the fact that the gods seem like assholes? They seem to have no problem fucking with peoples lives for the sake of their sibling rivalry. Sure, what Salem asked of the gods was selfish but it's hypocritical to talk about "The importance of the balance of life and death" then to go ahead and make Salem immortal. Also, didnt Ozpin/Ozma die in her arms like... twice, while the two gods argued? That probably also fucked with her psyche.

Then there is the younger brother just saying: "You know? Fuck everyone." And just kills every living thing in the world, leaving Salem on her own.

Their sibling rivalry is probably still shown in the fact that when Ozpin/Ozma was brought back by the older God, that his younger brother is missing... Maybe he plans to return to the world without him? Also, it feels like this God is saying "Once humanity has learned to live with MY will, then I will return."

With all of this, why would Ozpin want the Gods back at this point? Unless he realizes that Salem is such a huge threat that the only way to stop her is to bring the Gods back?

Honestly, I hope they go with the idea that everyone just rejects the gods entirely, even when they do return, because as far as I am concerned: everything wrong with the World of Remnant is a result of the Gods at least what is shown thus far.

Salem is partly to blame, but she is also a victim of the Gods. Which makes me glad that they didnt go with the idea that the Grimm just assimilated her. In the end, it is shown that she was, and still is, very much human.

Honestly, the latest episodes are kinda getting me interested again which means I am obligated to also complain about some problems I am having with the show.

Firstly: Just how fast we got a backstory for Salem. Just last season everyone has finally seen just who Salem is but this is a small problem.

Second: How everyone treated Ozpin after the revelation... Like... they have just seen that Gods actually exist, and that the enemy they are fighting was made immortal by said gods (we will get to that in a minute...) but everyone's reaction is pretty much just... "Lol wat, you have no plan Ozpin? You piece of shit!"

I mean... give the guy props. He has spent multiple lifetimes fighting a battle that as far as he's concerned, he can't win. Lesser men would have lost their minds at that point and instead, they just shit on the guy. Also, why would they ask if he has a plan to stop Salem when he was originally brought back, not to stop Salem, but to bring the Gods back?

Third: Are they not going to address the fact that the gods seem like assholes? They seem to have no problem fucking with peoples lives for the sake of their sibling rivalry. Sure, what Salem asked of the gods was selfish but it's hypocritical to talk about "The importance of the balance of life and death" then to go ahead and make Salem immortal. Also, didnt Ozpin/Ozma die in her arms like... twice, while the two gods argued? That probably also fucked with her psyche.

Then there is the younger brother just saying: "You know? Fuck everyone." And just kills every living thing in the world, leaving Salem on her own.

Their sibling rivalry is probably still shown in the fact that when Ozpin/Ozma was brought back by the older God, that his younger brother is missing... Maybe he plans to return to the world without him? Also, it feels like this God is saying "Once humanity has learned to live with MY will, then I will return."

With all of this, why would Ozpin want the Gods back at this point? Unless he realizes that Salem is such a huge threat that the only way to stop her is to bring the Gods back?

Honestly, I hope they go with the idea that everyone just rejects the gods entirely, even when they do return, because as far as I am concerned: everything wrong with the World of Remnant is a result of the Gods at least what is shown thus far.

Salem is partly to blame, but she is also a victim of the Gods. Which makes me glad that they didnt go with the idea that the Grimm just assimilated her. In the end, it is shown that she was, and still is, very much human.
I agree with you on all points. Though I will point out that Qrow, RWBY, Oscar and Maria all just got that information at once. Unlike us, who had about a week to let it sink in and digest it- plus, we're on the other side of the Fourth Wall, so we don't have as much of a stake in it.

As for the Gods...that I think is something that's going to be a longer term thing. Personally, I hope RT isn't going to have RWBY try to fight the gods, or have them 'teach them'. I'm more in favor of never picking up the phone and calling them back to Remnant. Plus, it avoids the whole 'deus ex machina' issue that such a move would cause.

Not really. Though I will say the only fight we've had between Salem's lackies and someone else this Volume was one where Salem's side was clearly holding back for their own reasons.
For a group that has killed people and had no problems doing so, you'd think they would do better against a bunch of kids who were mostly trained to fight monsters.

For a group that has killed people and had no problems doing so, you'd think they would do better against a bunch of kids who were mostly trained to fight monsters.
You would, yeah. Though given what we've seen so far of this Volume, RT seems to have learned from it's mistakes in Volume 4 and 5. So who knows, we might see Salem's rabble actually come across as threatening again.

You would, yeah. Though given what we've seen so far of this Volume, RT seems to have learned from it's mistakes in Volume 4 and 5. So who knows, we might see Salem's rabble actually come across as threatening again.
With Ruby's Silver Eye powers awakening further, maybe not.

How, it's anti grimm not anti bad person
We are seeing hybrids exist. Cinder has her arm and tirion has his tail..

I hope its not ballhog-protagonist-syndrome, seems like more of her friends depend on her undeveloped power for survival. RT needs to give them more feats.

Am I the only one who'd be fine if it turned out Neo was living a happy life on the straight and narrow?
She aided in acts of terroism and murder, so no, she doesnt deserve a life of straight and narrow. She deserves a nice american style prision cell. Or a trip to the gallows. Hell volume 6 showed she is still working with Cinder anyway.

She aided in acts of terroism and murder, so no, she doesnt deserve a life of straight and narrow. She deserves a nice american style prision cell. Or a trip to the gallows. Hell volume 6 showed she is still working with Cinder anyway.
I was speaking from potential routes the show may actually take. (I doubt we are gonna get a prison life volume)

I wanna throw an idea off you guys if you don't mind as I want to use it in a chapter...

It's clear that Yang was aware of the picture of Summer 's team in it, which by extension is literally her entire family.

However, what if she didn't know that Raven was her mom? And only figured out that it was her in the picture at the end of Vol2? (Which RT kinda forgot about except where it was only briefly mentioned in Vol3.) Maybe during her trailer, she was searching for this unknown woman in the picture as it might lead her to find her mom and that Qrow and Tai-Yang kinda refused to tell Yang that it was her?

Back
Top Bottom