What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rants about FiC on mobìlephone

razer666L

This forum not only keeps lagging before immediately crashing on mobilephone every minute or two, but also lacks some important features such as Save/Delete Drafts and Strikethroughs on the comment toolbox, the list of members that's visiting the thread, as well as the Search box does not include a minimum three options to find specific words or terms in FiC: "Everywhere", "This forum" and "This thread".

Those deficiencies and the repetitive lags and crashes make me frustrated so much about this forum, it almost made me throw my phone to the floor in rage and I have let out a lot of curses IRL about this forum for its problems. Please, Admins, just fix this problematic forum of yours.

This forum not only keeps lagging before immediately crashing on mobilephone every minute or two, but also lacks some important features such as Save/Delete Drafts and Strikethroughs on the comment toolbox, the list of members that's visiting the thread, as well as the Search box does not include a minimum three options to find specific words or terms in FiC: "Everywhere", "This forum" and "This thread".

Those deficiencies and the repetitive lags and crashes make me frustrated so much about this forum, it almost made me throw my phone to the floor in rage and I have let out a lot of curses IRL about this forum for its problems. Please, Admins, just fix this problematic forum of yours.

Hmm, what phone are you using? I have a Galaxy S7 and FIC works fine enough.

EDIT: Nope, all edit functions are off, I recognized it.

While I don't know what could be causing a crash, I've updated the base style to a newer version that will hopefully be slightly more light-weight (may be relevant if crashes are memory-related on older phones).

More rich editor buttons will stick around on narrow screens, incl. strikethrough and drafts. (BTW the old style is still available on the brush picker at the bottom of the page as 'Carbonite (old)', in case people want to complain about what it did better, but will eventually be removed.)

The search box issue is more involved and probably take some add-ons to implement. I'll think about how to do that soon.

New concern, I've been using FIC on mobile forever it seems, and just recently I logged on to find myself in a mandatory mobile mode.

How do I turn mobile mode off so I can view FIC normally? I don't like change.

How do I turn mobile mode off so I can view FIC normally? I don't like change.
How does it look like, and does it respond to changing window width?
On a desktop, the style should look different depending on the window width, with a mobile format if the width is below some amount.

How does it look like, and does it respond to changing window width?
On a desktop, the style should look different depending on the window width, with a mobile format if the width is below some amount.
It looks like a mobile friendly aspect ratio, whereas previously it was a zoomed out desktop version.
It can't zoom out any further due to the layout, but zooming in works without issue.
And yes, flipping the phone on its side makes the desktop style come back. But it used to be the same no matter whether if it was in portrait or landscape.
Basically, it started doing this
CC310C6A-6C1F-4D32-8D9E-FECCA18DED4F.png
recently, making the boxes go all weird and screwy.
I like the format of
49447BA6-2E19-4DC2-9E8C-6A9E5CB406F6.png
better and would like to have this available back in portrait again. No idea why it changed on me out of nowhere.

Last edited:
It looks like a mobile friendly aspect ratio, whereas previously it was a zoomed out desktop version. ...
Oh, I misunderstood you—I thought you were now on desktop and were still finding a mobile format.

Anyway, most (all?) mobile browsers should be able to '(Request) Desktop Site' somewhere. For most of them (Firefox, Chrome, Kiwi, Vilvaldi, DDG, etc.), there's a drop-down menu to the right of the address bar (when the address bar is visible, that is). On old Safari, this was the refresh button that you'd have to hold rather than press for a bit to make some options appear. On the newer Safari, this option was moved to the left of the address bar instead, with a button that looks like AA or something.

There were no style changes this year so far, so if this is recent, I would guess there was a software update on your phone that changed default behaviour.

Oh, I misunderstood you—I thought you were now on desktop and were still finding a mobile format.

Anyway, most (all?) mobile browsers should be able to '(Request) Desktop Site' somewhere. For most of them (Firefox, Chrome, Kiwi, Vilvaldi, DDG, etc.), there's a drop-down menu to the right of the address bar (when the address bar is visible, that is). On old Safari, this was the refresh button that you'd have to hold rather than press for a bit to make some options appear. On the newer Safari, this option was moved to the left of the address bar instead, with a button that looks like AA or something.

There were no style changes this year so far, so if this is recent, I would guess there was a software update on your phone that changed default behaviour.
Oh. Thats rather annoying. Well, than you for your time.

Back
Top Bottom