What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions for the future.

What are your predictions for the future of humanity as a whole?
It... depends really.

On one hand, we'll probably see an alternate Genocide Man timeline, a future where transhumanism is banned by death but if the men sent to get rid of them can't find them, then they're authorized to kill everyone in the area just to be sure.

On the second hand, we'll probably see a world dominated by China because it's just that unethical enough to do any and all means to win the genetic engineering arms race and is authoritarian enough to ensure that it comes up on top.

On the third hand, a sick variant of Anno 2070 and 2205 where most of the world has been flooded, probably billions have died, and the Resource Wars start raging.

... and the rest simply get bleaker and bleaker from here if you value things like privacy, being a sapient being, not being a slave, etc. All because (enough) people believe that Hobbes and Locke aren't right and we're seeing why Hobbes and Locke are right right before our eyes.

Now, there are avenues that are not as bleak but those require black swan levels of advancement on technologies like nano-tech...

What are your predictions for the future of humanity as a whole?
More of the same, really. Some things will get better, some things will get worse. We'll keep on muddling towards the future. I don't predict any major changes to how humans behave, we're still the same creatures that took part in the French Revolution, and who labored under the Pharaohs.

Technology will continue to make the unthinkable necessary, Rich people and world leaders will always do extravagant shit. The poor will always be sucking some sort of eggs. Empathy will always be something you have for people in your social group, and not for people out of it. People will always be the victims of discrimination, and some forms of sex will always be considered deviant, whereas other forms will not be. Society will always be running out of some valuable resource... with time being the most valuable and least renewable of them all.

If our current society collapses, we will keep living in it's shadows, and if we do reach this stage again, we'll be very starved for energy when we do so. Maybe we'll be more dependent on renewable and less on fossil should it happen. Maybe not.

If we make it to the stars, we'll carry our divisions with us, and many of the space craft will be lost to simple stupidity.

Climate change is going to suck. Hopefully we'll able to mitigate the effects and continue technological progress.

Climate change is going to suck. Hopefully we'll able to mitigate the effects and continue technological progress.
Given the overall situation? Not likely. Not likely at all. Especially with the stigma on nuclear fission hanging about.

I predict that things are gonna be much better and more accepting. Gay marriage was made legal on the federal level, trans ppls are gaining visibility, tho it's the new hot topic that everyone's trashing on everyone else about. Forms of sexy times that don't adhere to the straight, missionary position style shall be kept in the dark, yet ppls shall still do it... ah ha ha. Technologies? Like computers shall get faster, prettier forms of distractions to keep girls entertained and focused on consuming some hot new product. Entertainment is good tho right? And speaking of comps and sex: Anyone heard of sex 'bots? Those'll be a thing in the future. I got distracted... anyways, I believe that ppls are becoming more and more open and accepting based on like, ppls are now exposed to larger social groups than ever before with the 'nets, socialization offline is the key to keeping society together I feel however and that still thrives, ppls are still making bonds with other ppls and forming beautiful relationships, and that's all humanity needs: The love of humans to keep going.

I predict that things are gonna be much better and more accepting. Gay marriage was made legal on the federal level, trans ppls are gaining visibility, tho it's the new hot topic that everyone's trashing on everyone else about. Forms of sexy times that don't adhere to the straight, missionary position style shall be kept in the dark, yet ppls shall still do it... ah ha ha. Technologies? Like computers shall get faster, prettier forms of distractions to keep girls entertained and focused on consuming some hot new product. Entertainment is good tho right? And speaking of comps and sex: Anyone heard of sex 'bots? Those'll be a thing in the future. I got distracted... anyways, I believe that ppls are becoming more and more open and accepting based on like, ppls are now exposed to larger social groups than ever before with the 'nets, socialization offline is the key to keeping society together I feel however and that still thrives, ppls are still making bonds with other ppls and forming beautiful relationships, and that's all humanity needs: The love of humans to keep going.
You have far more optimism for humanity than I have. I only see it getting far worse from now on unless something goes black swan on our ass.

I predict that some group is gonna pop back up after ISIS dies. Really sad as before these shenanigans and shit, the region's cities and culture were beautiful and interesting.

You have far more optimism for humanity than I have. I only see it getting far worse from now on unless something goes black swan on our ass.
Black Swan? Like, I only know the Mila Kunis movie by that name. Anyways, maybe maybe, I'm sure my views of humanity are candy coated lil girls' daydreams yet I just can't help to see things that way after all the strides alternative sexualities have made, all the strides in acceptance and tolerance. Of course there are still probs, there always shall be... problems of some kinds. We gotta keep looking to a brighter future and working to make that happen or else things just shall get worse b/c we made them that way.

Black Swan? Like, I only know the Mila Kunis movie by that name. Anyways, maybe maybe, I'm sure my views of humanity are candy coated lil girls' daydreams yet I just can't help to see things that way after all the strides alternative sexualities have made, all the strides in acceptance and tolerance. Of course there are still probs, there always shall be... problems of some kinds. We gotta keep looking to a brighter future and working to make that happen or else things just shall get worse b/c we made them that way.
Black Swan in the geopolitical aspect is 'quite literally coming out of nowhere'... and thus unpredictable.

Also, you apparently on the Rousseau part of the spectrum when reality is Hobbes/Locke/Machiavelli.

Dunno that person who are they? Anyways, Machiavelli is silly, he was all like 'it's better to be feared than loved.' R-Really....? Just: Really? @Aaron Fox
Machiavelli is far more right than we initially believed. You also leave out the last bit of 'above all else, never be hated'.

Machiavelli is far more right than we initially believed. You also leave out the last bit of 'above all else, never be hated'.
Maybe maybe. I happen to believe he's just a noble boy who believes the world is based on power structures and secret struggles b/c nobles are wimpy boys and girls and never had to fight for nothing in their lives. I'd rather listen to a philosopher that, like, preaches love and acceptance than doing a-anything to be popular in a court of nobles who only caaare about their monies and traditions and keep-keeping their powers.

Maybe maybe. I happen to believe he's just a noble boy who believes the world is based on power structures and secret struggles b/c nobles are wimpy boys and girls and never had to fight for nothing in their lives. I'd rather listen to a philosopher that, like, preaches love and acceptance than doing a-anything to be popular in a court of nobles who only caaare about their monies and traditions and keep-keeping their powers.
Machevelli was stone cold m8. He is far from wimpy.

Machevelli was stone cold m8. He is far from wimpy.
What he do that makes him 'stone cold?' Yes, he lacks, like traditional ethics? Playing a diff game by diff rules than ppls are used to is far from being brave tho. My understanding of his stuffs is that he was all about backstabbing. U can be stone cold w/o backstabbing the hell out of your friends.

What he do that makes him 'stone cold?' Yes, he lacks, like traditional ethics? Playing a diff game by diff rules than ppls are used to is far from being brave tho. My understanding of his stuffs is that he was all about backstabbing. U can be stone cold w/o backstabbing the hell out of your friends.
No, his writings is the reality of power structures, even if he simply kickstarted modern political theory by mistake. Machiavelli had to deal with the usual court intrigue of dis-unified Italy which is as much of a series of economic struggles as it was a series of military ones.

Ok @Aaron Fox, then I give u that he knew about academic theories, yet that's still all... cuddly, safe noble stuffs taught by schools. Even the military is the game of nobles and rich boys and girls. So I can't say that I personally believe in his stone coldness. Or that he knew about power structures. Ask a feminist writer instead she would know much more than him I'm sure. I'd have to read more to really get a good guess at if I agree or not with his theories, yet I'm p-pretty sure... that he was living in a far diff world than the normal peeps and like, just coming up with some economic policies or military backstabbing games to navigate a noble's world only helps nobles. So to someone like me his philosophies are untouchable because he's just not down where I am.

@sneakykitten, actually Machiavelli was something of a background fixture of one of the Italian state courts of the era... partially to not get killed when his family's rivals took over the city that they lived in and partially to improve the world (remember, Machiavelli was of lower nobility, not the high nobility that we picture when the word is spoken) because being a virtuous Christian isn't going to allow you to run a nation effectively at all.

@sneakykitten, actually Machiavelli was something of a background fixture of one of the Italian state courts of the era... partially to not get killed when his family's rivals took over the city that they lived in and partially to improve the world (remember, Machiavelli was of lower nobility, not the high nobility that we picture when the word is spoken) because being a virtuous Christian isn't going to allow you to run a nation effectively at all.
So he's a judge? Judges shouldn't be preaching being underhanded and stuffs, that's kinda against the law. Or was he a lawyer? Lawyers like playing games like that so I could see it I guess. And what's wrong with being virtuous or believing in Christianity? Actually to have a nuanced understanding of Christianity you need to be a pretty smart and kind girl or else you'd just twist it like some fundamentalists do. So yes, maybe being a naive virtuous Christian wouldn't help yet surely... just following a religion and being nice could help a nation better than playing all these games? Political games don't make friends, they're not sexy or cute, they're just gonna get u impeached or killed back in those days... so I dunno: What makes writers that believe in gaming the system better than writers who believe in playing by the system's rules?

So he's a judge? Judges shouldn't be preaching being underhanded and stuffs, that's kinda against the law. Or was he a lawyer? Lawyers like playing games like that so I could see it I guess.
From what I understand, he was a diplomat of all things...
And what's wrong with being virtuous or believing in Christianity? Actually to have a nuanced understanding of Christianity you need to be a pretty smart and kind girl or else you'd just twist it like some fundamentalists do.
Because people are people, and running a state on Christian values tends to make you the looser, not the winner. History proved to us that much.
EDIT:

A quick check made me correct a stupid in what Machiavelli was in occupation...

Last edited:
Because people are people, and running a state on Christian values tends to make you the looser, not the winner. History proved to us that much.
What about someone guided by Christianity who doesn't explicitly rule with their Christian backgrounds? I dunno, I feel like saying all Christian leaders are losers is like... kinda mean and wrong. Some Christians are as nice and committed to social change as anyone else. And I'd rather a Christian girl who knows about love and compassion leading me if I lived in Italy in that time, rather than some guy who just wanna backstab, what is sooo lovely about that? Anyway, without reading more I can't say more, so I guess that's my peace for this particular thread of discussion. ^_^

What about someone guided by Christianity who doesn't explicitly rule with their Christian backgrounds? I dunno, I feel like saying all Christian leaders are losers is like... kinda mean and wrong. Some Christians are as nice and committed to social change as anyone else. And I'd rather a Christian girl who knows about love and compassion leading me if I lived in Italy in that time, rather than some guy who just wanna backstab, what is sooo lovely about that? Anyway, without reading more I can't say more, so I guess that's my peace for this particular thread of discussion. ^_^
Nope, standing by Christian values while ruling a nation has a tendency to backfire as anyone who aren't under such scrupials will screw you over, hence Machiavelli's 'Above all else, be armed' line that gets quoted a lot... even if somewhat out of context.

It also doesn't help that The Prince and his Discourse on Livy (the latter having the pope himself of the time gave a Pupal Publish decree after Machiavelli's death) overlap a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Nope, standing by Christian values while ruling a nation has a tendency to backfire as anyone who aren't under such scrupials will screw you over, hence Machiavelli's 'Above all else, be armed' line that gets quoted a lot... even if somewhat out of context.
And playing ever escalating games of political machinations is gonna backfire and wreck u too. Did Machiavelli die a successful person? Even if he did, ppls who follow his bad advice are gonna get wrecked, seriously. You need to give good advice that doesn't revolve around messing with ppls, it's just cruel and wrong. So I'm gonna say one more time that some Christian values would actually do good for a nation. Commitment to love, treating ppls the same as u treat yourself, compassion and human dignity would do a lot more good than having more guns.

Back
Top Bottom