What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Podcast Thread

ScreenXSurfer

Ain't no bitch who can do it like me
General Podcast Thread.
Post what you're listening to here.
Post your "you must hear this" list.
Updates for ones.
Highlights <-- very good.

Anything you want that's Podcast related.

Podcast are, in my opinion, the modern way to digest content. Podcast typically last longer than an hour, sometimes a few hours. I've learned a lot thru listening to podcast on my commutes, while I exercise and while I work.

The most mainstream one is Joe Rogan Experience. I don't know if there's somebody who has a bigger, mainstream podcast than him. Some of my favorite guest on there are Steven Rinella, Duncan Trussell, Eddie Bravo, Rhonda Patrick, Ari Shaffir, Abby Martn, Jimmy Dore

Your Welcome with Michael Malice. Just great content with great takes. Too bad most of it is behind a dumbass paywall. His episodes on JRE are great though.

Making Sense/Waking Up by Sam Harris. His most recent episode with Stephen Fry is a great introduction to his "brand". It might go onto a "must listen" list if it stays this good.

Last edited:
You should summarise your videos when uploading them.

I'm also' not sure why you posted the above video. It contains basic information people on SB were discussing about the election (jobs being sent oversea due to lower cases, losing their jobs to automation for the same reasons.). And the guy advocates for UBI and wants to run for president on this platform, despite that not being the sort of thing the portion of electorate that voted trump wants. So I'm not sure what your saying or why you posted this video?

Excellent history podcast, covers revolutions from the British to (so far) the Mexican. He's really good at laying out the commonalties and distinctions between the revolutions and laying out X revolution went this way and not that. Very good at boiling all these hectic details into a comprehensible story - and he's got a great dry humor.

I have't watched it, but Macro Musings is apparently quite good if you're into economic podcasts.

On the latest episode of "YOUR WELCOME" Michael Malice is joined by Maj Toure of Black Guns Matter to talk discuss his work bringing gun education and information into urban areas. Listen as they talk about the current narrative of guns in America, with many history lessons along the way.

As a 2A fan, I found this to be pretty informative. Perspectives like this are fresh for the conversation around guns. I also enjoy hearing from different perspectives and I like this guy's message.

Also a lot of folks who aren't in the conversation except when the media is are ignorant about these people. That's why the NRA is such a talking point among the Left as the gun right villains, and they're the centrist moderates!

Here are some quick links to some of the questions the host ask.

Last edited:
The NRA may not be the most extreme gun group out there, but they are not 'centrist' - well, the leadership isn't, anyway.

They're cowards afraid of pursuing court cases that would strengthen gun rights.
Strengthen? After the Heller Case? What on earth needs strengthening? The right to carry fucking bazookas?*

The NRA is mainstream and thus interested in respectability, but to be centrist, you have to occupy a central position. A centrist position on guns would be one that didn't constantly try to destroy or undermine the ATF, or ban the CDC from researching gun violence, et cetera. A Centrist position would be in favor of the nearly universally popular universal background checks. A centrist would not be screeching apocalyptic nonsense about all guns being taken away when someone proposes the most tepid and mild of regulations.**

The NRA may not be the most extreme group, and they may not take up every court case, because they are in the pocket of the gun maker and care about their money and their sponsors' money than abstract principles, which means they need to maintain a veneer of respectability, but their ideas in no way represent a 'center' of the spectrum on the question of gun control.

*Yes, I'm being hyerbolicious here, but also, not by much. Strengthening gun rights is the last thing this country needs.
** As someone who does want (in an ideal world, anyway) to take their guns away, I'm offended when they claim someone wanting a nearly meaningless but at least step in the right direction is really all about taking their guns away. THAT'S MY POSITION STOP SAYING THEY HAVE IT. ***
***I'm not being entirely serious here.

Strengthen? After the Heller Case? What on earth needs strengthening? The right to carry fucking bazookas?*
Which was not pursued by the NRA. The NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to see that case. They tried to derail the litigation.

Everything else you're not wrong about but gun scare means people buy ammo & guns. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if gun law legislation are a part of a marketing scam.

Last edited:
Oh my there's a pot debate going on RN.

I'm also' not sure why you posted the above video. It contains basic information people on SB were discussing about the election (jobs being sent oversea due to lower cases, losing their jobs to automation for the same reasons.).

Check out this discussion between Joe, Jamie & Tim. The whole video is great and i encourage people to watch it as it's a great teachable moment. He talks about how people are in their own bubble/worldview, and they assume that everybody knows that information. This is a true lack of empathy.

Further, SB is full of idiots. I use SB as just one source of information, but it's crazy to take what I hear there without a grain of salt.

And the guy advocates for UBI and wants to run for president on this platform, despite that not being the sort of thing the portion of electorate that voted trump wants. So I'm not sure what your saying or why you posted this video?
What they want is to know that politicians are paying attention to their problem. Seriously Keres, that's what people mostly want. To know that their government is facing the problems that are ravaging their hometowns. What's your take? What has your information diet led you to believe about Trump voters in the districts hurt by automation.

Last edited:
Oh my there's a pot debate going on RN.

For the last time, summarise your videos. I am not watching a +2 hour video because you recommended it. If you want people to discus these things, start a new thread and actually list the points yourself.

Check out this discussion between Joe, Jamie & Tim. The whole video is great and i encourage people to watch it as it's a great teachable moment. He talks about how people are in their own bubble/worldview, and they assume that everybody knows that information. This is a true lack of empathy.

I did not interpret the video the same way. Due to personal bias.

The major problem is than 4chan isn't an apolitical group of prankster. 4chan is a hub of white power culture due to pol. If they say something is a white power symbol, they have the power to turn it into one. They did it to pepe and the milkshake icon. How is an anti-intersectional pro-trump tribal sign used by Pol posters functionally different from a white power sign? Identifying the okay sign as a 4chan trump supporter symbol, is extremely disingenuous when according to the video the same is board identifying it as a white power sign, and is also being used "ironically to trigger leftists".

Look, when pro-trump people are committing false flag actions to deliberately escalate a culture war, the ensuing problems are on them, not the people they've baited.

If you want to know why people thing trump supporters are racist nazis, that's why. It turns out 4chans actions have real political consequences. It turns out claiming credit for electing trump and while declaring yourself to be pedophile neonazi nihilists and harassing people online for the fun kinda makes it easy to galvanise peopled against you. Especially when people in real life start shooting up places on your movements behalf.

Theres a reason modern day politics are tribalistic and toxic. You asked in an earlier thread why the left is more concerned with their enemies than megacorps. It;s the same reason people accuse Trump supporters of being racists and neonazis. It turns out nazi-larping to trigger the left has actual consequences.

If you want to discuss social bubbles, maybe select a less political video? Or give your thoughts after video, possibly in it's own thread?

Further, SB is full of idiots. I use SB as just one source of information, but it's crazy to take what I hear there without a grain of salt.

It is however full of people discussing the issues of you are concerned about enough to post a video on a site full of of ex-SB members to discuss said issue. If you want to discuss automation and how east asia's industrialisation affect the job status of people in the rust belt, this conversation already took place and if you want people to discuss UBI as a solution, start a new thread.

What they want is to know that politicians are paying attention to their problem. Seriously Keres, that's what people mostly want. To know that their government is facing the problems that are ravaging their hometowns. What's your take? What has your information diet led you to believe about Trump voters in the districts hurt by automation.

They have "economic anxieties". The problem is there really aren't any good solutions to their problems. It turns out when the free market is causing poverty and economic decline in an area, it's a problem that's actually hard to solve. Hillary Clinton offered retraining and was honest. Donald Trump offered protectionist tariffs and having the government subsidise their lifestyles. And neither solution is realistically going to work and give them what they want, unless the government subsidies them at a loss to give them the illusion of purpose.

Theres also opioids and young people moving to cities, but again a war on drugs is hard to win and having the government abolish freedom of movement is unimaginable, so there really isn't anything you could do.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump gave them tons of attention, the problem is helping them effectively is very hard and finding a politically viable solution is even harder. Empty words are not going to help.

Heck, you a libertarian and this a problem created by the free market. All my solutions involve the government. What would you propose to solve their problems?

For the last time, summarise your videos. I am not watching a +2 hour video because you recommended it. If you want people to discus these things, start a new thread and actually list the points yourself.
Did you not see the Maj Toure post? I didn't summarize this one because it was live at the time. You don't have to berate me over nothing when I've given you plenty to respond to.

I did not interpret the video the same way. Due to personal bias.
I was actually commentating on your own question, and what it reveals about your assumptions, with my reply. It's a strange kind of audacity to assume everybody knows something you know.

The major problem is than 4chan isn't an apolitical group of prankster. 4chan is a hub of white power culture due to pol. If they say something is a white power symbol, they have the power to turn it into one. They did it to pepe and the milkshake icon. How is an anti-intersectional pro-trump tribal sign used by Pol posters functionally different from a white power sign? Identifying the okay sign as a 4chan trump supporter symbol, is extremely disingenuous when according to the video the same is board identifying it as a white power sign, and is also being used "ironically to trigger leftists".
4chan makes political pranks. They peddle a fake narrative to set-up the race baiting Left into a completely pointless and stupid conflict. They've been doing this for years. They also do completely hilarious pranks with no major political consequence, like starting the flat earth conspiracy, trolling scientology, and messing with Shia LaBouf. I think it's wrong to use 4chan as a caricature of the Trump voter. I think it's a cop-out and bad faith.

Look, when pro-trump people are committing false flag actions to deliberately escalate a culture war, the ensuing problems are on them, not the people they've baited.
It's up to the victims on who deserves the blame, IMO, and the victims are the people who's lives get ruined when they're targeted by SJWs for flashing "overt nazi hand gestures" when if you rewind that gesture 2 years, nobody would think that. The 4chan hoax wouldn't have done crap if there wasn't a reaction to them. And when others are trying to tell the mob that they're freaking out over a hoax, the mob doubles down. I know you're against online harassment. Is it OK to harass people that make the OK gesture because of the existence of this prank? Do the ends justify the means? That is escalation and that's a problem that has a lot of Americans worried.

Further, these false flags are happening all over the place. New Knowledge, Internet Research Agency, heck the US Military & there's certainly others. The real problem is the response to them. A false flag wouldn't carry any weight if the population wasn't primed to react to it. It's like Lawrence Krauss said once, terrorist attacks do less damage than natural disasters, but we don't launch trillion dollar efforts over natural disasters. A internet false-flag is so low investment for a massive ROI. The IRA spent in the area of tens of millions.
There are plenty of powerful actors with an agenda to spread divisiveness in America. Some of those people are on 4chan. It's up to us to be ready to course correct if we've been misled because it will keep happening. Each of us have a responsibility to treat the internet with caution and to use wisdom in how we respond to what we see there.

If you want to know why people thing trump supporters are racist nazis, that's why.

4chan has 8 million unique users monthly. Worldwide. That's nothing. Reddit, for reference, has 330 million monthly users.

Trump received 62 million votes.

Do the math. It's irrational to assume that pol is representative of the Trump voter.

It turns out 4chans actions have real political consequences. It turns out claiming credit for electing trump and while declaring yourself to be pedophile neonazi nihilists and harassing people online for the fun kinda makes it easy to galvanise peopled against you. Especially when people in real life start shooting up places on your movements behalf.

Theres a reason modern day politics are tribalistic and toxic. You asked in an earlier thread why the left is more concerned with their enemies than megacorps. It;s the same reason people accuse Trump supporters of being racists and neonazis. It turns out nazi-larping to trigger the left has actual consequences.

If you want to discuss social bubbles, maybe select a less political video? Or give your thoughts after video, possibly in it's own thread?
This is a perfect example. Innocent people suffering "political consequences" because people are isolated into their information bubbles and believe everybody knows what they know. Precisely why you wanted to know why I bothered posting a piece of "basic information," because "everybody knows this." Again, lack of empathy. Those marines that were attacked by ANTIFA or the cops playing a game, or whatever innocent action gets accused of being a far-right dogwhistle. I acknowledge that 4chan likes to cause America to be divisive, but I do not have happened any other time. You're right that today's society is tribalistic, but trying to blame it on 4chan is frankly scapegoating. This is a problem that wont be fixed by pointing the finger, this is a problem that has to be fixed by each and every one of us.

The pool of humanity is too large, and even if 00.001% of people are the ones that are susceptible to online harassment or trolling or escalation, in a userbase of hundreds of millions, that can translate into thousands of signals. A loud minority can look bigger than it is, we all know this and see it within our own "tribes" but grant no charity to the average person.

It is however full of people discussing the issues of you are concerned about enough to post a video on a site full of of ex-SB members to discuss said issue. If you want to discuss automation and how east asia's industrialisation affect the job status of people in the rust belt, this conversation already took place and if you want people to discuss UBI as a solution, start a new thread.
Sidebar discussion: What's the point of starting a new thread? This one is empty enough. I want to talk about these issues in the context of the information I learn in podcast. Too often do we all come to a topic from different points of view and having a single reference point that we can use to anchor a discussion, I think cuts thru a lot of confusion. And it's an experiment. We'll see how this evolves.

They have "economic anxieties". The problem is there really aren't any good solutions to their problems. It turns out when the free market is causing poverty and economic decline in an area, it's a problem that's actually hard to solve. Hillary Clinton offered retraining and was honest.
Retraining has a 20% success rate. It's a bad idea. That's what I like about this candidate, he mentions the data all the time in his argument. What doesn't work (retraining, college) the consequences of failure (people quit the job market, suicide, drug use, destruction of communities) and what we can expect in the next 5-10 years (more automation). I'd like to see more people reflect on it, which is why I posted it here to generate conversation.

Donald Trump offered protectionist tariffs and having the government subsidise their lifestyles. And neither solution is realistically going to work and give them what they want, unless the government subsidies them at a loss to give them the illusion of purpose.
I think the illusion of purpose is important to society's health.

Theres also opioids and young people moving to cities, but again a war on drugs is hard to win and having the government abolish freedom of movement is unimaginable, so there really isn't anything you could do.
We should change the incentive structure for doctors to not proscribe so many opioids. If you're a medicare for all fan that's on his platform too.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump gave them tons of attention, the problem is helping them effectively is very hard and finding a politically viable solution is even harder. Empty words are not going to help.

Heck, you a libertarian and this a problem created by the free market. All my solutions involve the government. What would you propose to solve their problems?
I don't have a solution. I'm not an economist. I'm a libertarian because I'm against coercion. However, I'm a pragmatist at heart. Reframing UBI into "it's capitalism that doesn't start at zero" did a lot of work on me. Now that labor is effectively being phased out of the market, we really are starting from zero if we can't even offer our sweat to the corporations. I have zero faith in the education system's ability to prepare people for society. The trillion dollar student debt we have also sickens me. And when millions of jobs are on the automation chopping block, society is on the brink of destabilization. Personally, I think capitalism has to evolve completely. I don't know how. And frankly if we're going to do a stimulus package, I'd rather each and every American benefits from it directly, rather than giving it to banks and megacorps.

4chan makes political pranks. They peddle a fake narrative to set-up the race baiting Left into a completely pointless and stupid conflict. They've been doing this for years. They also do completely hilarious pranks with no major political consequence, like starting the flat earth conspiracy, trolling scientology, and messing with Shia LaBouf. I think it's wrong to use 4chan as a caricature of the Trump voter. I think it's a cop-out and bad faith.

SNIP

4chan has 8 million unique users monthly. Worldwide. That's nothing. Reddit, for reference, has 330 million monthly users.

Trump received 62 million votes.

Do the math. It's irrational to assume that pol is representative of the Trump voter.

That is true.

However their influence is everywhere. The NPC meme, Pepe as a symbol for trump, calling people "ducks" and making jokes about "triggering" people come from there and are endemic elsewhere. This movement includes 4chan and it's sibling sites, and definitely isn't "nothing".

The problem is this "movement" is louder and more internet savvy than other trump supporters. The Trump cultists aren't representative of the average Trump voter but they're louder, more annoying and like mould show up everywhere online unless that site actively bans them.

It's up to the victims on who deserves the blame, IMO, and the victims are the people who's lives get ruined when they're targeted by SJWs for flashing "overt nazi hand gestures" when if you rewind that gesture 2 years, nobody would think that. The 4chan hoax wouldn't have done crap if there wasn't a reaction to them. And when others are trying to tell the mob that they're freaking out over a hoax, the mob doubles down. I know you're against online harassment. Is it OK to harass people that make the OK gesture because of the existence of this prank? Do the ends justify the means? That is escalation and that's a problem that has a lot of Americans worried.

Further, these false flags are happening all over the place. New Knowledge, Internet Research Agency, heck the US Military & there's certainly others. The real problem is the response to them. A false flag wouldn't carry any weight if the population wasn't primed to react to it. It's like Lawrence Krauss said once, terrorist attacks do less damage than natural disasters, but we don't launch trillion dollar efforts over natural disasters. A internet false-flag is so low investment for a massive ROI. The IRA spent in the area of tens of millions.
There are plenty of powerful actors with an agenda to spread divisiveness in America. Some of those people are on 4chan. It's up to us to be ready to course correct if we've been misled because it will keep happening. Each of us have a responsibility to treat the internet with caution and to use wisdom in how we respond to what we see there.

The problem is 4chan members creates account on other sites where they pretend to be "SJW"'s, use said accounts to starting haoxes with the goal of unleashing mobs against people, and if they succeed they then claim morality superiority over their victims. 4chan has decided that harassment and doxing are valid tactics, and they are the ones escalating the conflict. It's a bad thing innocent people suffered, but "pranks" designed to ruin peoples lives are part of the problem, not something innocuous to overlook.

And priming is important to this conversation. The alt right for example tried to start a controversy against Doom by pretending to be "SJW"'s but nobody fell for it and it didn't work. The problem is 4chan is a highly successfully agent that has massive effects on the modern right, and is deliberately priming them to be susceptible to further subspetable to the alt-right (e.g. the "when is the right time to bring the jewish question image/memes"). 4chan isn't a harmless nobody and it's sheer success makes it part of the "real problem".

This is a perfect example. Innocent people suffering "political consequences" because people are isolated into their information bubbles and believe everybody knows what they know. Precisely why you wanted to know why I bothered posting a piece of "basic information," because "everybody knows this." Again, lack of empathy. Those marines that were attacked by ANTIFA or the cops playing a game, or whatever innocent action gets accused of being a far-right dogwhistle. I acknowledge that 4chan likes to cause America to be divisive, but I do not have happened any other time. You're right that today's society is tribalistic, but trying to blame it on 4chan is frankly scapegoating. This is a problem that wont be fixed by pointing the finger, this is a problem that has to be fixed by each and every one of us.

The pool of humanity is too large, and even if 00.001% of people are the ones that are susceptible to online harassment or trolling or escalation, in a userbase of hundreds of millions, that can translate into thousands of signals. A loud minority can look bigger than it is, we all know this and see it within our own "tribes" but grant no charity to the average person.

My perception of americas division traces back decades, the right radicalised during the nineties due to conservative talk radio and entered it's own information bubble where it blamed all it's problems on marxist academia and social "liberals". And then the Gay rights movement started picking up scene and the culture war went hot, people picked sides as it spilled over everywhere, and now divisive tribalism. The problems precede 4chan, but as long as the right uses 4chan as their youth outreach program things aren't going to get any better.

Even if there is a few people, the internet is full of people spamming their NPC meme, making 4chan look very big. And charity is the first casualty of politics.

Sidebar discussion: What's the point of starting a new thread? This one is empty enough. I want to talk about these issues in the context of the information I learn in podcast. Too often do we all come to a topic from different points of view and having a single reference point that we can use to anchor a discussion, I think cuts thru a lot of confusion. And it's an experiment. We'll see how this evolves.

Because you are using Youtube videos as the the starting point for a discussion about a political issue. Your going against precedent, posting in the wrong section of the forums and not summarising you source. You should have posted your video in the automation thread here, since it's on topic and has multiple youtube videos posted there that the thread discuss.

The podcast thread should be for discussing the podcast as a whole, to let people know about new podcasts and discuss once they know. Using a youtube clip of a podcast as a springboard for a political discussion should be in news and politics, not a hypothetical podcast forum or this thread.

Retraining has a 20% success rate. It's a bad idea. That's what I like about this candidate, he mentions the data all the time in his argument. What doesn't work (retraining, college) the consequences of failure (people quit the job market, suicide, drug use, destruction of communities) and what we can expect in the next 5-10 years (more automation). I'd like to see more people reflect on it, which is why I posted it here to generate conversation.

This has eerily parallels to the present state of native american communities within the USA whose traditional way of life ceases being economically viable, and live in marginal economic area and suffer similar social problems while resisting assimilation. Once again, you should have put this discussion in the automation thread since it's on topic there, and you should have followed the video with a few sentences explaining your point of view to get a discussion started.

I think the illusion of purpose is important to society's health.

The basic problem is the above solutions for doing so was a losing battle since the start of the industrial revolution. Trying to subsidise a noncompetive industry has effects ripples on the rest of the economy. For example manufactures in the USA have gone out of business due to not being able to buy parts cheaply from overseas driving their own costs up. The main reason I'm not a socialist is I know of the unintended side effects of large scale government intervention in the economy. Japan subsidies their rural communities and traditional handicrafts, but this is a far smaller group of people in much smaller area who geographically closer to cities and which doesn't affect major industries. There are better ways to give people purpose than policies that protect the status quo at the expense of the future.

We should change the incentive structure for doctors to not proscribe so many opioids. If you're a medicare for all fan that's on his platform too.

I do support both. But economically margin communities with little hope of advancement tend of have alcohol and drug problems even when the substances are made illegal. And there are people already addicted creating a demand for substances. This is a problem that needs to solved from within, not by government action, because the government has an abysmal record against drug black markets.

I don't have a solution. I'm not an economist. I'm a libertarian because I'm against coercion. However, I'm a pragmatist at heart. Reframing UBI into "it's capitalism that doesn't start at zero" did a lot of work on me. Now that labor is effectively being phased out of the market, we really are starting from zero if we can't even offer our sweat to the corporations. I have zero faith in the education system's ability to prepare people for society. The trillion dollar student debt we have also sickens me. And when millions of jobs are on the automation chopping block, society is on the brink of destabilization. Personally, I think capitalism has to evolve completely. I don't know how. And frankly if we're going to do a stimulus package, I'd rather each and every American benefits from it directly, rather than giving it to banks and megacorps.

Nice. I too am pragmatic, share you concerns about society and like your solutions.

Last edited:
I was going to post this in the what are you watching thread after another poster posted "Jim Serling versus Digital Homicide", but decided to post it here due to being more relevant to this thread.

I am currently listing to 25 Years of Vampire the Masquerade: A Retrospective Podcast; By Utility Muffin Labs. I had never played VtM before, but am interested in it's worlbuilding and found the podcast very enjoyable and information.

I have't watched it, but Macro Musings is apparently quite good if you're into economic podcasts.
What's your opinion of Econtalk? It seems a bit anti-interventionist (liberal?) compared with my views and what I know of yours. However, it's the only economics podcast I listen to besides NPR planet money.

If you're interested in a bad podcast (well, it's a book podcast that is good, imo, it's just that the books it covers are bad) then I can recommend I Don't Even Own A Television.

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/

It's funny, lasts one and half hours on average, and the two hosts are good on providing CW with the books they go over.

Back
Top Bottom