What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet Peeves and hated tropes in Fiction

Accelerator

Author
You know the drill, guys! Post down your vitriol and rants upon here, of the things you hate seeing you your stories!

• Describing characters we know the look and basic personality of in great detail.
  • In crossovers, letting one fandom run roughshod over the other fandom in every way.
  • Thinking that bad guys who are shown to be very cunning and adaptable can be defeated by the MCs randomly getting one whacky idea. Or variations thereof

Uneven retribution and revenge.

Get shot once. Genocide entire planet.
Attack a city. Genocide entire planet.

People working out their aggression with the writers in fic form.

I mean, I can understand how it can be an appealing and even cathartic thing, and I've certainly worked out my annoyance with the source canon in my fics, but hyper-specific axe-grinding with the writers just... always turns me off.

From an idea thread not an actual story:

"We should add Text to speech device!"
"And then the Emperor from Text to Speach device came along and said wubalubadubdub"

"And then Halsey got her face stomped as the emperor from Text to speach device came and said "ah can do betta" And she died."

"whAt ABot teXt 2sPeEch dEVice?"

Note: actual ideas involved torture, genocide and characters from Text to speech device

From an idea thread not an actual story:

"We should add Text to speech device!"
"And then the Emperor from Text to Speach device came along and said wubalubadubdub"

"And then Halsey got her face stomped as the emperor from Text to speach device came and said "ah can do betta" And she died."

"whAt ABot teXt 2sPeEch dEVice?"

Note: actual ideas involved torture, genocide and characters from Text to speech device
Fanon from parodies.

I now hate the text to speech device series. So much fanon. And so many people watch it, and think they know the entire 40k series.

Changing the underlying rules of the universe because you've decided that the sci-fi had bad science.

Like, fine, yeah, that's not how science works, but the whole fictional universe is A) Fiction, and B) usually built around the science working that way, in-universe.

Changing the underlying rules of the universe because you've decided that the sci-fi had bad science.

Like, fine, yeah, that's not how science works, but the whole fictional universe is A) Fiction, and B) usually built around the science working that way, in-universe.
It's pretty dumb, because if the rules of the universe can be changed, then the rules of the universe are that some things can be changed in it, so by definition flexible things becomes part of the universe. If that wasn't true the characters doing that would technically be omnipotent.

...Unless of course there is the top universe and the technology exists in that universe is above the the bottom universe, which is a subset of the top universe, making it look like you're changing the laws of the universe, when in fact it's just the bottom universe. But that would make the bottom universe really limited, meaning people should know it's only the bottom universe in story.

ughhhhhhhh

Well I meant more as the writer suddenly declaring "this fundamental principle of the Canon verse is no longer true because it's bad science!"

Depends on the Canon for me, but yeah, that one is a crock of shit

Also depends on the canon.

People working out their aggression with the writers in fic form.

I mean, I can understand how it can be an appealing and even cathartic thing, and I've certainly worked out my annoyance with the source canon in my fics, but hyper-specific axe-grinding with the writers just... always turns me off.

As evidenced by my standards in writing I don't hate this.

and besides the only thing I work out my aggression in is there not being enough gay characters and the requirement for enough is "whatever my mood is"

and besides Bashing is cathartic if very much a sign of mental stability.

I hate that not because its bad writing but because people that do that seem to confuse "more accurate science" with "destroy all enjoyment and joy from this story"

Fanon from parodies.

I now hate the text to speech device series. So much fanon. And so many people watch it, and think they know the entire 40k series.

TBF its much more interesting than the actual series*.

*warning I love paraphrasing George Lucas with how much I hate 40k

"If I had hammer and time I would hunt down everything related to 40k"

Pet Peeves? OH I CAN THINK OF ONE.

Squeaky clean rebels.

Writing The Joker as an Anarchist seriously Ancaps count more as anarchists than The Joker.

any kind of Revolt, Revolution, Uprising, Rebellion lacking in ideology.

Portraying the Russians consuming lots of Vodka rather than Lots of Tea something I find to be much more common.

Or worse. Rebels that are united and working together.
Tends to be unrrealistic....what you thought I was gonna say thats wrong hell no rebels rarely are united the only thing that tends to keep them on the same side is the hated it the government

More, rebels being united after they won. That's the real unrealism.

Really it is I mean I can't think of a revolution that doesn't end in purges. like not a single one even the American Revolution had some. last I checked.

The American revolution didn't have 'purges', but it did splinter into factions. We were lucky in that we had the safety valve of Western Land and the fact that the revolution was more about change of elites than an upending of society. Most revolutions are much more akin to the French model than the American one.

Back
Top Bottom