What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Hollywood movies that Popsicles enjoy

t-dugong

Beach bum, Esq.
So, growing up I'm sure we all watched lots of movies. I would like to ask my fellow Popsicles; what are some of your favourites, with a caveat that said movies are non-Hollywood.

So, some of my favourites are:

1. Indian (1996)

A Tamil movie about an old freedom fighter who fight againsts corruption - by killing all who practice it witb his bare hands.

2. Saviour of the Soul (1991)

A story about reincarnated assasins, bounty hunters and a love triangle in modern day Hong Kong and imperial China.

3. God of Gamblers (1989)

Story about the best gambler in the world, rivalry and betrayal with a game of poker that cuts to the bones in the end.

There you go, 2 Hong Kong and one Tamil movies.

Edit: Why do I do this? Because I genuinely wants to know and so that I can add to my library of movies.

North Korean guys. Comedy.
A by-the-book officer Baek-Doo Choi and person who enjoys alcohol and smuggled images of swimsuit models- Sergeant Dong-Hae Lim get caught in a storm while on a fishing trip and end up in South Korea. These patriotic men try to go back home in the North.

Taegukgi-War drama
Korean war film about two brothers drafted into the under-developed ROK army. The older brother tries to get enough medals to send his younger sibling home. Sad. Really sad.

71-into the fire. War-Drama.
Shows a dramatization of a student soldier unit. One of the few Korean war films which shows the efforts of more than one country
a US advisor smuggles in anti-tank weaponry and gives as much help as he can while trying to get an intervention from allied countries.
Sorta sad.

Flowers of war
During the fall of Nanking during the Sino Japanese war. A group of schoolgirls hide in their convent alongside some prostitutes as the remnants of the NRA army in the city get wiped out. Interestingly, despite atrocities of the IJA being shown, the actors of the IJA are Japanese. Also starring Christian Bale. Bittersweet.

Back to 1942
Sino-Japanese war film
Landlord attempts to make a journey with his family after discovering that Japanese troops are advancing through his hometown. Sad.

Youth
A Chinese film showing some youth during the cultural revolution in China. What drew me into the film was the war scenes set in the Sino-Vietnamese conflict.

The Admiral(2008)
Shows the story of an admiral of the Russian empire and later the White Russian movement.

Taegukgi is the one with Jae Dong Gu and Won Bin, right? I think I've seen that one, then. Good story.

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for the other recommendations. So, thanks, @Yesman.

Last edited:
@Mark Poe, I see you are a man of culture. This gem of cinematic history is simply marvellous. 12/10 would recommend to other movie buffs.:LOL:

Last edited:
Does non-hollywood essentially mean non-American? There's studios outside of Hollywood.

Kind of main stream choices you find on Netflix because what do you expect from an American.
2 favorites of Choi Min-Sik
I recommend I Saw the Devil to everybody on this website

And of course Old Boy if you haven't seen it already

This is one of the best trilogies I've ever watched and everybody should. See the originals.

All the Nick Frost Simon Pegg movies. Hot Fuzz & Shaun of the Dead in particular

And of course, Anime.

I've seen others but they're just not coming to mind.

Does non-hollywood essentially mean non-American? There's studios outside of Hollywood.

Kind of main stream choices you find on Netflix because what do you expect from an American.
2 favorites of Choi Min-Sik
I recommend I Saw the Devil to everybody on this website

And of course Old Boy if you haven't seen it already

This is one of the best trilogies I've ever watched and everybody should. See the originals.

All the Nick Frost Simon Pegg movies. Hot Fuzz & Shaun of the Dead in particular

And of course, Anime.

I've seen others but they're just not coming to mind.

Nope. Like the title said, non-Hollywood movies only.

OK, I have to admit that just now I'm about two thirds into like seventh re-watching of Il y a longtemps que je t'aime. It's a beautiful little gem which perfectly fits the saying that in European cinematography, God is in the details. This movie could seriously make me start learning French.

In no particular order:

Japanese:
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the fireflies
Ran
Yojimbo

Aussie:
Mystery Road
The Dressmaker
Last Ride
The Castle

Indian:
Black (2005)

Korean:
Last Train to Busan
Snowpiercer
Okja

I saw the The Duelist about a year ago and it quickly became one of my favorite films, the setting is severely underutilized for its potential.

To Indonesian popsicles,do you know where I can watch/stream/download/buy a copy of one of Benyamin S. movies, the cowboy one? I think the title was 'Koboi Ngungsi' or something like it.

Oooh! I have a huge list

Bollywood/Tamil
Kuchi kuchi hota hai (a classic)
...there's a few more but I forget the names. I mostly remember the plots.
There was one that had Shah Rukh Khan as the main star, he played two roles, a wealthy man but who wasn't so kind or something, and the spirit that impersonated him while he was away from his home, being much nicer to his family. Or something in that effect.
...a lot of other Shah Rukh Khan films.
The usual Tamil action films that can somehow have one man cause another to fly 10 feet into a wall with one punch.
The one that had Amitabh Bachan as a ghost
Chinese
Police Story 2013
Ip Man, Ip Man 2, Ip Man 3
The White Snake and the Monk
The Myth
Fearless
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer

....I'm sure I have a bigger list, but this is all I can remember right now.

Oooh! I have a huge list

Bollywood/Tamil
Kuchi kuchi hota hai (a classic)
...there's a few more but I forget the names. I mostly remember the plots.
There was one that had Shah Rukh Khan as the main star, he played two roles, a wealthy man but who wasn't so kind or something, and the spirit that impersonated him while he was away from his home, being much nicer to his family. Or something in that effect.
...a lot of other Shah Rukh Khan films.
The usual Tamil action films that can somehow have one man cause another to fly 10 feet into a wall with one punch.
The one that had Amitabh Bachan as a ghost
Chinese
Police Story 2013
Ip Man, Ip Man 2, Ip Man 3
The White Snake and the Monk
The Myth
Fearless
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer

....I'm sure I have a bigger list, but this is all I can remember right now.

Amitabh Bachchan playing a ghost... is that Bhoothnath?

Shah Rukh played a couple of dual characters in his movies... perhaps you're talking about Duplicate.

I can't recall which Tamil movie did what as their action films are all ridiculous.

Amitabh Bachchan playing a ghost... is that Bhoothnath?

Shah Rukh played a couple of dual characters in his movies... perhaps you're talking about Duplicate.

I can't recall which Tamil movie did what as their action films are all ridiculous.
Yeah, Bhoothnath!
The latter...oh, I really misremembered, it's not that. It was Paheli.

And just Tamil action in general, the fight scenes are funny to watch. It's like the main leads are seceretly from a superhero movie, but put in the wrong genre. :D

Yeah, Bhoothnath!
The latter...oh, I really misremembered, it's not that. It was Paheli.

And just Tamil action in general, the fight scenes are funny to watch. It's like the main leads are seceretly from a superhero movie, but put in the wrong genre. :D

Hindi movies were just as bad. I still remember an early or mid 80s Bollywood movie where the protagonist was shot multiple times by the bad guys. All he had to do was call out for his mom, swipe some dirt on his forehead and the dude's good to go. If anything those bullet wounds and the blood just drained his mortality and left a demigod, what with his power up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman_Gaia:_The_Battle_in_Hyperspace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin-Roh:_The_Wolf_Brigade
Hey, you never say anime don't count. :p
'sides, this is a special one (for me))

Lots of Chinese movies. I can't remember most of the titles lol.

To Indonesian popsicles,do you know where I can watch/stream/download/buy a copy of one of Benyamin S. movies, the cowboy one? I think the title was 'Koboi Ngungsi' or something like it.
Sorry pal, no clue.

Back
Top Bottom