What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most controversial or unpopular political/economic/social opinions?

okay smart guy, what benefit do you gain by assuming understanding will never be possible?
I assume that I do not know how an alien intelligence works rather than projecting my limited experience on the fundamentally unknown. And unless you happen to be one of the foremost neurologists, AI scientists or part of some really secret interstellar organization, you have exactly zero clue how a non-human intelligence would work, because you have probably zero academical knowledge on human intelligence and certainly zero knowledge of any sort on non-human intelligence. But you keep insisting on projecting your limited knowledge of human behaviour on non-human intelligence, in a very good Dunning-Kruger fashion.

Oh, and, BTW, even among human beings, mutually beneficial relations happen only under the threat of violence if the rules are broken. We call that, at the individual level, the police forces and, at a state level, nuclear deterrence. Because we aren't able to trust one another to not fuck ourselves unless there is a very clear understanding that the fucker will reliably get fucked in turn. So, no, Rabe, 'let's make friends and ask what we keep doing wrong' is not a valid policy and never really was even among intelligences that we kinda understand.

Real life is more 'talk softly and carry a big stick'.
Hmmm what was that fic?

"Hello, do you eat babies?"

"Hello do you want to have sex?"

Mild first contact scenarios that dont involve borg cubes or sexy biomass :=@
Eyup, and the one with the bigger stick gets to impose its fundamentally alien morality to the other. For their own good.

I assume that I do not know how an alien intelligence works rather than projecting my limited experience on the fundamentally unknown. And unless you happen to be one of the foremost neurologists, AI scientists or part of some really secret interstellar organization, you have exactly zero clue how a non-human intelligence would work, because you have probably zero academical knowledge on human intelligence and certainly zero knowledge of any sort on non-human intelligence. But you keep insisting on projecting your limited knowledge of human behaviour on non-human intelligence, in a very good Dunning-Kruger fashion.

Oh, and, BTW, even among human beings, mutually beneficial relations happen only under the threat of violence if the rules are broken. We call that, at the individual level, the police forces and, at a state level, nuclear deterrence. Because we aren't able to trust one another to not fuck ourselves unless there is a very clear understanding that the fucker will reliably get fucked in turn. So, no, Rabe, 'let's make friends and ask what we keep doing wrong' is not a valid policy and never really was even among intelligences that we kinda understand.

Real life is more 'talk softly and carry a big stick'.

Eyup, and the one with the bigger stick gets to impose its fundamentally alien morality to the other. For their own good.
okay not only are you not actually engaging me and evading the question with word soup you are using my post as a rhetorical device, and attacking an argument I'm not making(but you know what I'm actually thinking) okay Rufus you win I'm done we already functionally agree and you are simply like farming me good day

okay not only are you not actually engaging me and evading the question with word soup you are using my post as a rhetorical device, and attacking an argument I'm not making(but you know what I'm actually thinking) okay Rufus you win I'm done we already functionally agree and you are simply like farming me good day
My sincere apologies if quoting you is attacking an argument you're not making.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords. =P

This comic is rather relevant:
huxley-orwell-amusing-ourselves-to-death.jpg

This comic is rather relevant:
huxley-orwell-amusing-ourselves-to-death.jpg
Orwell's still a badass though, dude got shot in the neck during the Spanish civil war and went on for years after that.

Orwell's still a badass though, dude got shot in the neck during the Spanish civil war and went on for years after that.
Problem is that Huxley is right... or appears to be right. Which is, bad, in its implications.

I believe in the idea of "subhumans". Not in a racial way, that's just messed up for so many reasons. I believe in "moral subhumans". More specifically, I believe:

I believe that anyone who would hurt an animal or another human being because they get pleasure out of it is less than human. The same applies to dictators that have committed genocide as well. Anyone who sees a beautiful animal or one of their fellow humans and thinks: "Hey, it'd turn me on if their entrails got scattered everywhere" is less human than my dog. Although I believe that people with these traits that are of the age of 35 or younger deserve a chance at rehabilitation, I believe peoole older than 35 who do such things should be wiped from the face of the Earth.

I believe in the idea of "subhumans". Not in a racial way, that's just messed up for so many reasons. I believe in "moral subhumans". More specifically, I believe:

I believe that anyone who would hurt an animal or another human being because they get pleasure out of it is less than human. The same applies to dictators that have committed genocide as well. Anyone who sees a beautiful animal or one of their fellow humans and thinks: "Hey, it'd turn me on if their entrails got scattered everywhere" is less human than my dog. Although I believe that people with these traits that are of the age of 35 or younger deserve a chance at rehabilitation, I believe peoole older than 35 who do such things should be wiped from the face of the Earth.
Age seems to be a very abirtary factor in judgement

The thing that ancaps and libertarians refuse to understand is that the nonaggression principle inherently and immediately breaks down the moment you being dealing with industrial production and/or resource extraction. It's not possible to conduct these activities on your property without harming the owners of neighboring properties, and once you get into air pollution, literally everyone on earth.

I believe that the nations of the world must ultimately coalesce into one government or polity. Not because of nation or creed, but because if we continue to waste effort and resources on war and its fellows Humanity will run out of some resources necessary for leaving the gravity well. And if we are planet bound our civilisation is, in the long run, doomed.

The thing that ancaps and libertarians refuse to understand is that the nonaggression principle inherently and immediately breaks down the moment you being dealing with industrial production and/or resource extraction. It's not possible to conduct these activities on your property without harming the owners of neighboring properties, and once you get into air pollution, literally everyone on earth.
That is controversial?

That is controversial?
It is to them, because otherwise they wouldn't be ancaps/libertarians. Since by breaking the nonaggression principle they would be declaring themselves legitimate targets for murder under their own ideology

It is to them, because otherwise they wouldn't be ancaps/libertarians. Since by breaking the nonaggression principle they would be declaring themselves legitimate targets for murder under their own ideology
but they do that? so double think?

Hey, I have a long history of kings and queens who I love who were very much human and only PARTLY POSSIBLY Lizard-people!

Back
Top Bottom