What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Alias

I wonder if there's ever been a continuity where Jax doesn't lose his arms.

Last edited:
My only problem with this trailer: who the fuck is this "Cole" douchebag?

At the moment just an OC, but pretty much everybody has theories that he's going to turn turn out to be some well known character or take up somebody's moniker. On the other hand he may just be a disposable main character to kill off at some point to "raise the stakes".

Last edited:
At the moment just an OC, but much pretty everybody has theories that he's going to turn turn out to be some well known character or take up somebody's moniker. On the other hand he may just be a disposable main character to kill off at some point to "raise the stakes".
I thought it was implied that he becomes Scorpion at some point due to his birth mark? Or did I just misinterpret the trailer

I thought it was implied that he becomes Scorpion at some point due to his birth mark? Or did I just misinterpret the trailer
Sub Zero has the same marking as Cole but there is a moment where a vision of Scorpion appears leading to speculation of Cole being a target, related to him or somehow his reincarnation. All speculation for the moment until the movie gets released or somebody leaks the movies story.

First seven minutes. Probably doesn't spoil too much since it is just an introduction/origin story for Scorpion. If you watched the animated Scorpion's Revenge movie then you saw this already, but it is done quite well.

This movie was a big yawnfest. There's some okay fights, but most of them are pretty meh and the movie has nothing else going for it.

Only ones who seems to be into it are Sub-Zero and Kano, the rest are just sleepwalking through a 'plot' that's about some random nonsense happening *before* the tournament starts because Shang Tsung is a little bitch and Raiden wagging his finger a lot.

The movie is quite good. But in Indonesia they cut all the gore scene. I mean is for Adult not for a child

I enjoyed it. Special effects were better than I expected. Music was rather lacking. As Damar said most of the characters not to be into it. So yeah if people have a meh reaction, very understandable. Also I loved Kano. Hopes he's in the next one if it's made.

Cole Young? More like Cole Yawn! Biggest mistake of the movie.

Sure, they wanted to have a reason why Scorpion can suddenly return from Hell after being dead for centuries. So they make a super-duper great offensive fighter who... sucks at offense. And defense. And ground work. And he is supposed to have such great resolve... then immediately taps out. He is also a total loser in life, who fights for a couple of hundred bucks because he knows nobody is showing up to watch him fight, because all he does is lose. Oh, and tonfa suck.

Jax's actor does a fairly good job emotionally, but the role as written was pretty lame. Sonya is a wannabe who tags along right up until the end, where she earns her mark and then immediately masters her arcana while everyone else struggles. Kung Lao actor looked like he was so out of place and confused. Liu Kang was cool enough, but was given nothing much to do because we have to concentrate on Cole for some reason. Scorpion kicked ass as he should. Raiden was written inconsistently, so he both can and cannot meddle like Schrödinger's Lightning God with bad eye CG. Shang Sung had not a lot of presence. Sub-Zero was expertly cast and also kicked ass. Kano was a riot, and Mileena was... present.

Can we also rename the movie to MK: Prelude or something? It is just strange to often reference the tournament, and then have everyone fight to death before the start of the tournament. I guess they wanted to avoid the 1990's movies, where the tournament is won and now they must fight again in a brand-new bullshit tournament because of bad losers. Next time we can have all the pallet-swapped cyborgs though, so OK.

It wasn't terrible, but the movie is a letdown. Weak characters are a major failing, but the worse sin was throwing in a new character that is pretty terrible throughout the entire film. Probably will watch it again some day, but it is inferior to the campy versions from decades ago in most meaningful ways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom