What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malaysian Medical system faces more bleak challenges as potentially up to 23,000 Junior Doctors threaten to go on strike

HeavyArmor

Trust me, I'm a Tech-Priest
Author
So, for those not familiar with Malaysia's Governmental Medical system, the situation is like this:

Under Malaysian Law, graduates of medical courses are compulsory to undergo a minimum of 4.5 years contract work with Government Hospital/Clinics before "releasing" them to join private practices or became Permanent Doctors/Medical Officers within the government system. Even those graduated overseas are required to undergo the contract work

Despite working as sort-of civil servant, these Junior Doctors receive marginal pay compared to other doctors, and does not receive benefits that other civil servants entitled. What's more, despite working long-term with the government, the contact does not provide any job security (Since 2016, only 789 of the 23,077 Junior Doctors have been appointed as Permanent Doctors/Medical Officers).

Since the outbreak of COVID, these Junior Doctors were forefront of the medical system, and yet the government treat them by forcing extended hours without extended pay, while also barred them from taking locum works in private sector.

So, frustration within the Junior Doctors are at the breaking point, the strike organizers have given the government the final warning before going on strike on Monday, 26/7/2021.

Source:

Conscription is conscription is conscription.

We have something similar here with doctors having to serve for a year I think at the leisure of the government in remote villages usually before being able to go their way.

4,5 years though is alot.

And...

The thing fizzled out. The strike turned out into a "peaceful silent demonstration" with several dozen at most in each major Hospital, and single digit participants else where. Then they return to their duties.

And...

The police is opening an investigation on them, as "no gatherings are allowed during the Movement Control Order (a series of regulations to attempt curbing the raising infection numbers)"

Most settle for the Government's proposal, which is: 2 years in-house training, 2 years mandatory service (but can be reduced to 18 months if appealed), plus another 2 year extension. Which "guaranteed" a job for at least 6 years, with 4 more years extension should you pursue post-grad training program.

...this is why the civil service bloat should've been eliminated. Instead of properly taking care of people in sectors that need them nepotism funnels unqualified bodies into bloated departments instead.

All hail the Malay superemacy...(god sometimes I am so ashamed of my malay elders).

...this is why the civil service bloat should've been eliminated. Instead of properly taking care of people in sectors that need them nepotism funnels unqualified bodies into bloated departments instead.

All hail the Malay superemacy...(god sometimes I am so ashamed of my malay elders).
Could you expand on that a bit, at least in terms of how it caused this?

Could you expand on that a bit, at least in terms of how it caused this?

Heavy Armor already explained part of it relating to the doctors. The other half is that Malaysia since the last, oh, 30 years have been bloating the bureaucracy with extra staff. The policy was originally intended as a way to get more Malays into white-collar jobs and as professionals.

Unfortunately it has backfired, in that senior officials and politicians have been using it as a way to give jobs to their relatives and supporters so as to gain grassroots support.

Yeah and Najib emptied the treasury with a lot of that bullshit. He somehow managed to spend billions on that and yeah the treasury is broke and the Malaysian govt hasn't been particularly generous with pandemic subsidies for the obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom