What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Trudeau caught Cosplaying as Mr. Popo

It is an odd thing, but he has apologized several times already within a single day, and even plastering the story up front across every web site in the country has not elicited any sort of major pushback beyond boilerplate "this is bad" from opposition parties and certain politically active special interest groups. The funny part is that this is almost certainly going to be a non-issue.

Scheer (Conservative Party) can blubber about it, but at this point in time he is riding only on his base with policies that are wet farts, and with his own skeletons being outed time and time again, so his criticisms are too weak to be noticed. It also doesn't help that he is completely without charisma and has pointed to every minor thing for years and done a "oh, look, this is a horrible thing, you should all be outraged" take, so no one is even listening. Yes, the opposition said that the other guy is bad, because of course they will.

The NDP leader is so pathetic that there is a risk that the party might collapse on the federal level if polling is to be believed. It might come across as being a scathing rebuke against Justin if anyone cared about what the guys says. Except that only the die-hard party supporters will listen. Maybe. I think they just want the election to end so they can get a new party leader, since this guy only got in because nobody of consequence ran against him (expectations were that the Liberal party would be popular enough to win a second time, so no one else wanted to run the party in an upcoming election where they were almost certainly going to get massacred).

Green Party leader has her own skeletons after recently deciding to go on record as being anti-abortion, and the likelihood of the party even winning a second seat is slim, so another background buzz for people.

People's Party of Canada leader is just the worst, calling climate change science a hoax and being a massive anti-immigration racist, so the only way anyone will listen to his opinion is if he were to come out supporting Trudeau, and then it would be only for laughs.

And let's face it... people who complain are never going to be satisfied by an apology, while the vast majority will not care if he put on make-up for a party or theater production. The argument being made essentially comes down to public shaming for things where dressing up is encouraged. "Cancel Halloween, no more plays, someone might get offended by actors acting" is what a lot of people are thinking right now, so the outrage just isn't as prevalent as people like to pretend it is, they just have to go on record as saying that it is bad because that is expected of them.

Also...

Pecking order.

Man I'm so damn glad that I'll never be in a position where my past would be an issue, because I'm pretty sure there's pictures of my holding a huge ass Confederate flag floating somewhere on the internet...

Guys, it's decades ago. People fucking change in the meantime.

Ok for the uninitiated what is this Day-O thing and why is putting on make up when dressing up as Alladin racist again?

Honestly asking here, I know blackface is offensive? but whats the deal with Trudeau?

Ok for the uninitiated what is this Day-O thing

Apparently singing songs that black people made famous is racist to some people. Even if it once was a moderately famous song.
and why is putting on make up when dressing up as Alladin racist again?
As one person when polls put it so succinctly, "he ain't brown". Which I would think would be reason for the makeup, but only black people who need no makeup should wear blackface. Even if it is for a costume party.

It isn't a good thing by any means, but when you say that decades ago a young person did something kind of stupid in an age where it wasn't considered by society to be racist, and where it was for things like stage productions where makeup and such is encouraged or even demanded... it has made a minor distraction that nobody thinks is actually a big deal.

Man I'm so damn glad that I'll never be in a position where my past would be an issue, because I'm pretty sure there's pictures of my holding a huge ass Confederate flag floating somewhere on the internet...

Aren't you Chinese-American? In the most official, from-China-but-now-American meaning?

Aren't you Chinese-American? In the most official, from-China-but-now-American meaning?
Yes.

Such were the joys of having went to an all male college in the middle of Virginia...

Last edited:
Reactions: EiC
Who cares? This affects people's lives how? Have his bad policies suddenly become good, or good ones bad?
It's a modern power struggle, to purge the impure to make way for betters, ordained by the high council of Tumblr...

Who cares? This affects people's lives how? Have his bad policies suddenly become good, or good ones bad?

It's more the hypocrisy of Trudeau. And "It was a different time!" doesn't hold water back then, since if Bush had been revealed to have done something similar in the 2000 election, he'd have lost.

It's more the hypocrisy of Trudeau. And "It was a different time!" doesn't hold water back then, since if Bush had been revealed to have done something similar in the 2000 election, he'd have lost.
So it's a nothingburger.

The only thing this man is guilty of in this instance is enthusiastic cosplay.

Ideology matters in a democracy. It belongs in a democracy. Purity testing bullshit that demands an absolutely perfect completely clean candidate who never once did something wrong in his entire life does not.

This perfect candidate does not exist. Therefore any candidate is flawed and it is important to pick the one who has flaws in lesser areas. The second best. The compromise. Let ideology inform you about what flaws to select for.

Be happy you at least have a choice and shun those who would limit it. For those who undermine choice seek only to place their own flawed leader at the top of the pile and this time without a means to replace them when their flaws trip them up heavily. That is what pisses me off about purity tests they limit choices.

That would be nice if Justin actually said that. He has only been going "Very very sorry everyone! Super sorry! I did bad, sorry!" He isn't trying to be a Republican candidate, where the excuses come flowing freely before a final begrudging apology that no one will find sincere.

It is the people of Canada who don't give a fuck. Liberals are polling 1% lower right now, polling taking place after the scandal has been revealed, well within the margin of error. As much as the media is trying to whip this into a frenzy so they can get more of those sweet sweet clicks, people up here are spending more time going "Uh, so can we get back to talking about climate change and the economy please?" than following news articles talking about things that have nothing to do with the election.

If Bush would have lost because of a minor scandal from two decades before the election it is more a result of the US electorate being broken. Then again, Grab Them By the Pussy got elected no problem after dozens of scandals, so your statement rings very hollow. People would have held their noses and voted for Bush anyway, or Florida recount shenanigans would have still happened and handed him the election.

So it's a nothingburger.

The only thing this man is guilty of in this instance is enthusiastic cosplay.

Ideology matters in a democracy. It belongs in a democracy. Purity testing bullshit that demands an absolutely perfect completely clean candidate who never once did something wrong in his entire life does not.

This perfect candidate does not exist. Therefore any candidate is flawed and it is important to pick the one who has flaws in lesser areas. The second best. The compromise. Let ideology inform you about what flaws to select for.

Be happy you at least have a choice and shun those who would limit it. For those who undermine choice seek only to place their own flawed leader at the top of the pile and this time without a means to replace them when their flaws trip them up heavily. That is what pisses me off about purity tests they limit choices.

This is the logical conclusion of the callout culture Justin trudeau had celebrated. Where you have to be absolutely pure and the perfect avatar of the underprivileged.

This is the logical conclusion of the callout culture Justin trudeau had celebrated. Where you have to be absolutely pure and the perfect avatar of the underprivileged.
Which is completely bullshit. But you haven't been right on any of these other points, so why start now, right?

That is why this is a nothingburger. Conservatives are crowing about how Trudea and the Liberals aren't perfect any more... while they never claimed to be. Hard to take people seriously when they use lies as talking points.

And, hey, at least Trudeau didn't go up on stage at a massive rally for the alt-right with famously racist racists. Or if your own party has removed multiple candidates for tweeting racist and homophobic things time and time again. Or when you actually defend your party's racists while claiming it is all in the past. (Source 2) Makes the finger pointing seem a bit lackluster when the Conservative party is full of people who have done far worse than dress up for a costume party.

Maybe you should start supporting your wild claims about "perfection culture". Or of anything other than the well-known facts that, yes, a couple of decades ago the current PM did some really dumb things and now he is very sorry.

Has his hypocrisy made anyone's lives worse? Yes, he's a sanctimonious twit, or that's his public image, but does it matter?

Reactions: EiC
Do they? This is a serious question.
Trudeau promised to do better. The Assembly of First Nations says that things still need more improvement, but they are better. They also are actively encouraging First Nations people to vote on issues like climate change, housing, and justice reforms. Areas where the Liberals have made some improvement, and where the Conservative party is abysmal.

Oh, and while it isn't being spread in the media anywhere near the same way as the blackface scandal, the First Nations community is absolutely pissed at Scheer (Con leader) right now.

In a post that was shared just prior to the publication of Trudeau's racist blackface images, one Saskatchewan Facebook user shared a story about Andrew Scheer, alleging that the Conservative Party leader once said that he didn't need the votes of Indigenous people to get ahead.
Posting on September 16, Myke Agecoutay shared a photo of Andrew Scheer, and added the following caption, "During my role as Vice Chief of the FILE HILLS QU'APPELLE TRIBAL COUNCIL (fhqtc) our Member of Parliament, ANDREW JAMES SCHEER accepted a meeting invitation from my office, hosted in the sacred boardroom on Treaty 4 territory."
Agecoutay went on to explain, "He [Scheer] opened up the discussion as a formal position of the party platform 'I don't need your Indian votes, I don't need Indians to win'...What was more disturbing, not the fact that he was right, the look on his face, pure pleasure."
Scheer is ignoring the issue completely, and considering his riding is from a region in the racist heartland it is being believed as true. Which won't affect the prairies seat that the Cons were destined to win from the beginning, but the story is spreading like wildfire and could be enough to heavily sway the election in other parts of the country.

Because not being able to fix the fractured relations (while using the broken system that is in place) with First Nations from the last century and a half in the span of a few years might not make the Liberals saints, but they sure come across a hell of a lot better than the Conservatives who have been dripping with racism and who are intent on fucking up the country (while paying off the oil and gas execs) when it comes to the climate change issue.

That's why nothing is changing in the polls, and why there is so much apathy to this whole scandal. Vote for the guy who says he is sorry about doing something stupid decades ago, or vote for the guy who is not sorry for what he is still doing. At best the FN vote might have a slightly lower turnout, but most seem willing to pinch their noses and vote for the guy who is at least trying to address the issues that they care about.

Frankly, Balerion has no fucking clue what is going on and is parroting talking points from conservative sites. Reality is quite different in Canada.

Pfft. That's nothing. Imagine if I ran for public office and some asshole dug up my SB posts. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah. Good lord considering the stuff I used to do in drunken nights on the town. If people had has mobile phones then, there would probably be pictures of me grabbing the butt of some random woman I don't remember -- and look, there he is puking on the sidewalk!

Note to aspiring politicians: NEVER GET DRUNK

Back
Top Bottom