What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it really impressive for a character to kill a "God or Demon" of their universe?

Sailorpizza

I'm noticing the claim of killing "Gods and Demons'' in vs debates/forums/etc was used for the Guts from Berserk,Doomguy from Doom,Kratos from God of war.Dante from devil may cry and others somehow can make them into a stronger tier can take on likes of Thor,Spawn,Goku,Wonder Woman and other herald tier characters

Is it really impressive for a character for killing a god or armies of the demons of their universe? or it just ain't that impressive at all?

Well, that depends on the relative disparity in power between the opponents, and without qualifiers it's really hard to put an actual answer besides "it depends"...

Well, that depends on the relative disparity in power between the opponents, and without qualifiers it's really hard to put an actual answer besides "it depends"...

Good point and just noticed lot of hype for doomslayer & Kratos at killing gods and demons

It works best, in my experience, when they have just barely enough power to turn it into a contest of skill, particularly when dealing with extreme powerhouses with little exposure to such combat. One of my gripes with Diablo III is that your character is utterly gear-dependent and yet the story acts like you've simply overpowered everything in your way. Playing my Demon Hunter against Leoric on Torment V is a matter of Do Not Get Hit Even Once because he deals so much damage it one-shots me, without exception. And that's with half my gear being Legendaries (low-quality ones, but still).

You're not going to brute-force a win without functionally perfect gear in Diablo III, unlike Diablo II where there's a few mostly-gear-independent builds that'll rape the shit out of Hell difficulty monsters... Until they get hit, then their lack of health-boosting and damage-mitigating gear instantly kills them. The gear dependent stuff involves insanity like the Omnidins who literally just walk past enemies and those enemies fall over dead, while getting so much per-hit damage they can punch some bosses to death.

When it's a matter of skill, you can have it be a real achievement that has much more impact, because a well-written example shows a large amount of disparity between the two. This then makes the character have the appearance of actually achieving something, and it's easier to write than making the process of gaining power engaging. Just ask any Gamer-fic writer!

Depends on what said god can do, it is just a title after all. No different from beating a champ.

I'm noticing the claim of killing "Gods and Demons'' in vs debates/forums/etc was used for the Guts from Berserk,Doomguy from Doom,Kratos from God of war.Dante from devil may cry and others somehow can make them into a stronger tier can take on likes of Thor,Spawn,Goku,Wonder Woman and other herald tier characters

Is it really impressive for a character for killing a god or armies of the demons of their universe? or it just ain't that impressive at all?

The answer is depends.

Killing Yehova could well be a pretty impressive feat (given that Yehova is, you know, omniscient and omnipotent). Killing a 3 cm big imp? Not so much. The context provided is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom