What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iron Harvest: an Alternate History Dieselpunk RTS

Aaron Fox

SB's Minor Junker Descendant and Hunter of Nazis
Author

So, this game has been going smoothly so far and has been fully funded by Kickstarter... and is shaping up to be a rather interesting game.
35986672_2142927259068069_6196736346032177152_o.jpg

Man, 2018 is shaping up to excellent year for gaming. I haven't had so many upcoming games to get excited about since 2004 when I was a 4th Grader. This game in particular looks amazingly good, like Company Of Heroes meets Scarlet Traces.

Man, 2018 is shaping up to excellent year for gaming. I haven't had so many upcoming games to get excited about since 2004 when I was a 4th Grader. This game in particular looks amazingly good, like Company Of Heroes meets Scarlet Traces.
As a longtime fan of the RTS genre (my entry into gaming included iPanzer '44, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (you know, the Lucas Arts one with that catchy chip tune?), Panzer Elite (aka a modded version of which was used as the US Army's Tank Training Simulator for almost a decade), Homeworld, Starcraft, Tzar: Burden of the Crown, among others), I'm afraid to say that Company of Heroes is the most viable as long as MOBAs and Starcraft dominate the genre.

Ok, alpha 1 downloaded and a skirmish game played. The game plays a lot like Company of Heroes 2 in terms of mechanics (which isn't bad mind you, makes it easier to get into the game) with a major caviot being the fact that your infantry can drop whatever they're carrying and grab weapons from off the battlefield. Saved my ass when I had my gunners (basically AT troops) drop their equipment and grab grenades...

FDA67E753CFABD7D7E24BCF40F95D44FD10539A5

The mechs replace the AFVs in CoH2 mechanically. The one pictured above in the bottom end of the picture is called a 'tank mech' which is armed with an autocannon that does pretty nasty damage against infantry and passable against lighter mechs like the polish sniper above.

44D84FCCEF3899C9E251F99D146D618AE44B80E0

The visuals on high are absolutely gorgeous as well. :)

This is a game that i will buy.
It'll take a little getting used to but it actually is pretty fucking good. The combat is quick enough that you'll have to multitask but slow enough that it doesn't become purely a click-fest. The unit AI is pretty decent, given that it shares similarities with Company of Heroes 2 in standard mechanics, but the infantry must be ordered to take cover.
So does WW1 drag on for longer or start a little bit later?
This is in the inter-war years. The 'Pygmy Wars' -a series of conflicts after WW1 that had much of central Europe fighting each other- and all that.

I like playing Germany in company of heroes 2 and other games where you can build up your base and armies.
Then again, Prussia/Germany did build a lot of the stereotypes for modern armies. :\

True, but i do not know many RTS games where you can play Germany during World War I.
It's so few that it's basically none in the grand scheme of things. :\ I mean WW1 is perhaps one of the grey-er conflicts of the world where Serbia's spat with Austria-Hungry dragged Germany into a larger conflict because the French and Russians had enough high-level people who wanted a war no matter what...

It's so few that it's basically none in the grand scheme of things. :\ I mean WW1 is perhaps one of the grey-er conflicts of the world where Serbia's spat with Austria-Hungry dragged Germany into a larger conflict because the French and Russians had enough high-level people who wanted a war no matter what...

What i do like someday is to see a map of how Europe looks like in the Iron Harvest verse.

Anybody else here like worldbuilding? Because this game has some of that:

I've been a fan of the paintings these games are based on for years now, and I really want to ask if we have any Poles in the house who might be able to transmutate any more information on them into English. Or... Or translate. That was the joke I just ruined for comedic effect. Because that would seriously be awesome if there were any interviews with the artist or something like that... I'd like to see what kind of AH the artist has in mind for the history of this world which obviously diverged sometime prior to 1700 IOTL yet was enough that the butterflies resulted in a 20th century where battles of mounted cavalry on everything from bears and lions to horses and dire wolves charging alongside early tanks and deiselpunk mecha are being fought. It seems like a more multipolar world that went to war for eerily similar reasons as our period of truly Industrial warfare (1914 the start of WW1-1989 the end of the Soviet Occupation of Afghanistan, by my count) even with European alliances as they were geographically IOTL, albeit with seperate origins than ours.

Last edited:
For those in the Alpha, Iron Harvest has just made it's first update!

UPDATE:
Changelog:
- Fixed a bug that caused all health bars in the middle of the screen to collapse.
- Fixed a bug that caused the grenade's target mark to stay on the ground forever.
- Fixed a bug that occurred when double clicking on a unit while a weapon system was on the screen.
- Fixed some bugs that slowed down the game after a game was finished.

Iron Harvest est un excellent jeu de stratégie en temps réel. Cela nous fait plonger dans le monde de la guerre mondiale

January 2019 DevBlog
Well, here's the latest dev-blog. Sort of went under my radar but checked the Iron Harvest discord and saw it.

Anyway, they're going to have some fixes coming out soon on practically everything with the possibility of adding a new unit (the medic) alongside several features with March certainly having at least a new unit enter the ring and even more features...

Back
Top Bottom