What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if a Company claims a fan video on youtube, and begins making money from it, leaving it up. does the video become canon

C

Celene

Pretty much what the title asks. Does the video become canon? Official? Official alternate story? Is it not fanfiction anymore?

It's definitely still fan fiction, some authors end up reading really good fan fiction and cannonizing it. No one stops calling it fan fiction though, it's just "made it" for lack of a better term.

As for the main body of your question. I'd argue it definitely can. If I make a boba fett short film and in the opening credits claim this is an offical cannon work of lucasfilm endorsed by Disney and then the video gets claimed, but gets left up to make Disney money I'd argue they're ok with people at least thinking its cannon.

What's the official difference. If it's claimed by them, would it not be an official product? Then even if it's an alternate universe, how's it any different to say, disney hiring writers and making a new movie. I mean disney wasn't related to lucasfilm until they purchased star wars and such and made their own movies, entirely bereft of the original creators and such, how's that different, business and practical wise to someone making a fan thing, disney going "No we own that, it's ours" Taking it, leaving it up and profiting off it.

The it depends entirely on the video content.
Recently it happened for a vader fan film it got unclaimed, but for a while some division of lucas/disney stuff had claimed it and was profiting.

No, the company would make money out of it the same way they make money out of merchandising.

No, the company would make money out of it the same way they make money out of merchandising.
Are merchandise not used for these things? I've seen plenty of merch pop up as official canon before.

Back
Top Bottom