What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas For Growth

Horton

Cat
Administrator
So obviously as a forum we need to grow, right? Or we'll just wither and die.

That means we need a source of members.

So here's a thread where we'll brainstorm that. I'm looking for writers a lot myself here, as that is how SB grew and how QQ grew. I was thinking if we can get writers on here and have the writers alert they're readers they're cross posting, then we'll have a decent source of members. As we simply can't rely on recruiting on SB forever, we need actual content.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
A positive reward system.

"If you get one user to join, and they cite you on their profile, Contact a mod and get a Colonist/Founder banner!"

A positive reward system.

"If you get one user to join, and they cite you on their profile, Contact a mod and get a Colonist/Founder banner!"
There's actually a plugin for referrals, I'll have to have a look at it once I have some cash as I'm low on money for now.

So obviously ass a forum we need to grow, right? Or we'll just wither and die.

So here's a thread where we'll brainstorm that. I'm looking for writers a lot myself here, as that is how SB grew and how QQ grew. I was thinking if we can get writers on here and have the writers alert they're readers they're cross posting, then we'll have a decent source of members. As we simply can't rely on recruiting on SB forever, we need actual content.

Any ideas?

Solidify the identity of this website. How is it different from Spacebattles, or Sufficient Velocity, etc, etc? Why come here where there are less people if it is the same overall? Right now it just seems basic, so solidifying the differences it has and making them known can be a draw since right now it is very vague.

In addition, perhaps so it is taken a bit more seriously, reduce errors in moderator/staff posts such as the bolded. In the threads I have looked through it is kind of off-putting to see staff members commit a mass amount of such errors. I am not saying no errors ever, as people are prone to make errors, but if in only a few threads I have already noticed a slew of posts with typos and general errors from the supposed leaders of the community it makes the community look bad.

Just some basic suggestions. Building a community takes time, and requires effort, so I wish you luck in doing so.

In addition, perhaps so it is taken a bit more seriously, reduce errors in moderator/staff posts such as the bolded. In the threads I have looked through it is kind of off-putting to see staff members commit a mass amount of such errors. I am not saying no errors ever, as people are prone to make errors, but if in only a few threads I have already noticed a slew of posts with typos and general errors from the supposed leaders of the community it makes the community look bad.
From what I know, Mods here aren't supposed to be 'leaders' or 'authorities' so to say, they have de facto authoritative powers, but unlike other forums, you should probably look at them more like Janitors, or civil servants, perhaps good Samaritans, and I'd hope they'd try to fulfill that role as just another poster, rather then idolization that can occur, as well as the demonization.

However though yeah, having correct spelling is always nice.

So obviously ass a forum we need to grow, right? Or we'll just wither and die.

Any ideas?
I mean if you need writers and stories is there reason we can't have a NSFW section in creative writing?

It would help. Sex sells after all and a lot of fanfic sites either ignore or explicitly allow lewdness.

As for SFW stories I don't have much going on other than Crystal Growth. I've got a pair of Lantern SI fics I've been meaning to get back to, but I'm not sure when that will happen and when I do start back on them they'll be crossposted on both FiC and QQ.

I have one NSFW fic on QQ apart from that.

The biggest problem FiC has is that it's main selling point is that people don't have to deal with the crap of SV and SB's board cultures and mods and thisn't enough on its own to attract a huge number of users until some serious scandal happens on SV or SB.

Most people who just want to write with less drama go to QQ I'll point out since they don't have much in the way of censorship. QQ has rule 8 which some have issue with, but it's not enough to get people to leave since political discussion is generally irrelevant to the fiction there and there's not much alternative to NSFW writing in this family of forums.

If you want people here and want the site to last we need a unique selling point or just hope something happens on SV or SB that will cause users to look for other communities.

@V4Guss, the thing is that there are certain rules for websites in Britain (I think this site is hosted in Britain) and the .org for sites in Britain apparently forbid the lewd.

@Horton, can you remind us where this site is hosted, it would be an immense help...

@V4Guss, the thing is that there are certain rules for websites in Britain (I think this site is hosted in Britain) and the .org for sites in Britain apparently forbid the lewd.
I mean if that's the issue and we could attract more users with less censorship would it be feasible to host the site in a country with less strict laws like the US? That's where QQ's are IIRC.

Last edited:
I mean if that's the issue and we could attract more users with less censorship would it be feasible to host the site in a country with less strict laws like the US? That's where QQ's are IIRC.
Eh, that depends as there are laws pertaining on how certain cites can host as well. :\

Maybe we could make a flashy video advertisement to put on YouTube?

A forum called Frozen in CARBONITE doesn't have obsessive amounts of material about STAR WARS? Boo. :p

Maybe we could make a flashy video advertisement to put on YouTube?
Even better would be a video advertisement channel cleverly disguised as regular sci-fi stuff channel. Problem is that would take someone's time and effort. Wonder if we could bribe/entice Templin Institute crew to come here instead.

Could somebody not simply post a thread on SV and SB ore is advertising a forum there not allowed.
One would likely end up banned and/or have the post redacted...

Considering how I found Spacebattles, the one way to attract people would be getting fic or quest linked on Tvtropes.
I request a quest or stories about people waking up from coldsleep into a strange new world/galaxy. Something like Demolition Man. Or some sort of reverse ISOT in which present town goes into the future instead.

I request a quest or stories about people waking up from coldsleep into a strange new world/galaxy. Something like Demolition Man. Or some sort of reverse ISOT in which present town goes into the future instead.
Well, that could be a good proposition, but if we o it that way we'll need something that has a lot of different in it as it were. Perhaps a Frostpunk style Earth 21X0 series setting?

@Aaron Fox announce you're posting chapters in advance here to lure people over.

@Aaron Fox announce you're posting chapters in advance here to lure people over.
I'll work on it, especially since I've got to start posting my informationals over on FF.net as well given a few reviews are getting confused with the setting of the Iron Pact...

I'll work on it, especially since I've got to start posting my informationals over on FF.net as well given a few reviews are getting confused with the setting of the Iron Pact...
Just put up a new chapter announcing there's info here with a link to the site

Sorry, already have a story/worldbuilding to do. Admittedly, ISOT to my future Mars would be an interesting story...

Back
Top Bottom