What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas For Growth

See, this is what I mean. Y'all take everything as a personal attack, and drive people away and wonder why growth isn't happening. You don't like to be judged? Then don't be hypocrites about asking people to get a thicker skin about criticism. There's no good just building super hipster palace.

I'm not taking anything as a personal attack. I'm just responding to your message.

I just don't believe you.

Believe what you like, I say. I was just saying that you're not obligated to go into the Rants forum. I mean, we could go back at this all day but we both know saying ''You're offended! No, you are!'' for several forum posts isn't going to get us anywhere.

Believe what you like, I say. I was just saying that you're not obligated to go into the Rants forum. I mean, we could go back at this all day but we both know saying ''You're offended! No, you are!'' for several forum posts isn't going to get us anywhere.
Oh I see. I thought you meant gtfo the forums entirely.

What you said didn't sound to me like someone who wanted new members who couldn't hack an acerbic community culture.

Ahhh, I see. Sorry for the miscommunication.
It's ok. My bad too. I keep forgetting that forums can contain smaller forums and that's fine usage too. The singular forum made me think it referred to FiC as whole.

Take your pick, free speech or civility.

He has a legitimate point. Face it, the rants section of this forum is probably the largest or one of the largest, at least in terms of the sheer number of posts. It kind of reminds me to an extent of CF.net in a way.

For those not familiar, counter-factual.net was an alternate history and ASB type forum that was an offshoot of of alternatehistory.com trying to be less strict, especially in terms of discussion of politics and current events. One of the subforums for that was titled the cesspit, the other subforum was the outhouse. In an attempt to not be as heavy handed with the ban hammer as Ian and the staff of AH.com, the owner and staff of CF.net didn't let everything go, but a lot of stuff that would have gotten people at least a temp ban elsewhere really wasn't policed for the first few years CF.net was up and running.

Unfortunately, by the time things on CF.net got to the point where they did decide to step in, it essentially crippled the current events and politics subforums, and while few people actually got shown the door, it did cause a number of people to voluntarily jump ship. CF.net staff also made it so that to be allowed to post in those subforums, a member had to get permission first. This, as one could imagine, also saw a lot of potential members that had been banned from AH.com look elsewhere.

Basically, while I don't see Horton or his staff going ban hammer crazy, I would say be careful what you wish for or how you go about dealing with trouble here, or what you want and what circumstances force you to do could turn out vastly different at some point.

He has a legitimate point. Face it, the rants section of this forum is probably the largest or one of the largest, at least in terms of the sheer number of posts. It kind of reminds me to an extent of CF.net in a way.

For those not familiar, counter-factual.net was an alternate history and ASB type forum that was an offshoot of of alternatehistory.com trying to be less strict, especially in terms of discussion of politics and current events. One of the subforums for that was titled the cesspit, the other subforum was the outhouse. In an attempt to not be as heavy handed with the ban hammer as Ian and the staff of AH.com, the owner and staff of CF.net didn't let everything go, but a lot of stuff that would have gotten people at least a temp ban elsewhere really wasn't policed for the first few years CF.net was up and running.

Unfortunately, by the time things on CF.net got to the point where they did decide to step in, it essentially crippled the current events and politics subforums, and while few people actually got shown the door, it did cause a number of people to voluntarily jump ship. CF.net staff also made it so that to be allowed to post in those subforums, a member had to get permission first. This, as one could imagine, also saw a lot of potential members that had been banned from AH.com look elsewhere.

Basically, while I don't see Horton or his staff going ban hammer crazy, I would say be careful what you wish for or how you go about dealing with trouble here, or what you want and what circumstances force you to do could turn out vastly different at some point.
I wasn't being flippant or joking. You either have to crack down on unpopular/controversial opinions, or you have to accept that people will get angry and heated and will say mean things to each other. RPG.Net decided to ban Trump support and get civility. SB and SV try to have it both ways, but instead wind up having huge percentages of their posters banned or forum banned because they make valid points but do so rudely.

I wasn't being flippant or joking. You either have to crack down on unpopular/controversial opinions, or you have to accept that people will get angry and heated and will say mean things to each other. RPG.Net decided to ban Trump support and get civility. SB and SV try to have it both ways, but instead wind up having huge percentages of their posters banned or forum banned because they make valid points but do so rudely.

Perhaps setting the rules up here for targeted punishments might be useful. If someone's a gifted author that writes awesome fanfiction or alternate history timelines, but can't keep from constantly putting their foot in their mouths in political and/or current events discussions. Ban them from those specific subforums while still giving them access to other areas of a forum

With occasional exceptions, if you really look at the reasons people are banned from SB, SV, or AH.com, the bulk of them are either for issues that have cropped up in political and current events discussion subforums, near as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom