What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Twitter can ruin a life

Alias

Clarkesworld published a story by an unknown author named Isabel Fall. The story was titled "I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter," which describes the premise: it's about a woman who becomes a weapon of war. Divided the trans Sci-fi community first and then when other people became aware of it became more controversial and alot of people and especially Twitter just started assuming the author had ill intentions and just spiraled out of control partly because the author had very little presence on the internet which led people to think the author was a troll and who eventually pulled it because the whole thing was taking a toll on their mental health.

Unfortunately the internet cancel lynch mobs are very easy to divert and start attacking people they proclaim to defend.

Even worse, they refuse to admit being mistaken and fall in ever spiralling conspiracy theories in order to justify the initial lynching.

Seriously, who would expect any different?

The entire article is bemoaning that someone who was trans made a stupid choice to write a story based off of a transphobic meme, and now has to live with the consequences of that decision.

I'm not even mad at the Twitter community. The story may have its own merits, and the author might feel bad, but it was still a dumb thing to do. No wonder that there is outrage.

That, and I started to have fun on Twitter during the last US election. Calling out shitty people, it turns out, is pretty fun.

I just made my Twitter account a few days ago to showcase my game.

Honestly, I was trying not to make a Twitter account for my mental health, but since I need to show my game to get audiences...

The entire article is bemoaning that someone who was trans made a stupid choice to write a story based off of a transphobic meme, and now has to live with the consequences of that decision.

I'm not even mad at the Twitter community. The story may have its own merits, and the author might feel bad, but it was still a dumb thing to do. No wonder that there is outrage.

That, and I started to have fun on Twitter during the last US election. Calling out shitty people, it turns out, is pretty fun.
As much as it is a stupid idea, it's a bit victim-blaming and puts into a question whether people are willing to be open-minded enough for thought provoking questions.

As much as it is a stupid idea, it's a bit victim-blaming and puts into a question whether people are willing to be open-minded enough for thought provoking questions.
It's still a stupid idea, like when John McClane is ordered by a terrorist to go this way in Harlem:

Sure, there's freedom of speech, sure, it's bad to harass someone over this, but FFS, it was obvious from Day Zero what would happen if you give the internet equivalent of armed gangs a massive provocation like that: the police will try to protect you, but you can be pretty sure they'll be sighing hard in your back.

I actually didn't like the story nor premise. Besides, it reads like a socio-political rant, not even thinly veiled, and not enough interwoven into the story. From my perspective it is not good story at all. Paradoxically SB couldn't understand that, with tons of people asking me stupid questions why and trying to make me look like a homophobe.
Is it really so hard to understand that in someone's opinion subject and execution was lacking?

For reference, link to the story:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom