What's new
Frozen In Carbonite

Welcome to FIC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you felt about chosen ones?

Sailorpizza

So how do you feel about a person as a legendary chosen one with amazing abilities, a different design, a cool looking weapon and anything else from destiny or a prophecy to fight a strong villain at saving their worlds from chaos?

Do you like them or not?

Rufus Shinra

I got bored after being described as the Chosen One for the eleventh prophecy in a single year. Let me tell you, one gets bored pretty fast of saving the world just because Destiny wills it so. Plus, it is an undemocratic process of leadership selection. And why the fuck did this watery tart send me a rusty sword when I was supposed to repel an invasion of Yellow Jacket wearing aliens?

Erwin_Pommel

Banned
I like them, as it holds a lot of solidity to it with how many great epics and poems have it.

But my issues with them come when it just results in Average!Isekai protag. They never actually do what they're proph'd to do, they just play at home. Gimme more Anakin Skywalker's and less insert Japanese name here!

Sailorpizza

I got bored after being described as the Chosen One for the eleventh prophecy in a single year. Let me tell you, one gets bored pretty fast of saving the world just because Destiny wills it so. Plus, it is an undemocratic process of leadership selection. And why the fuck did this watery tart send me a rusty sword when I was supposed to repel an invasion of Yellow Jacket wearing aliens?
I agree with you and i guess writers is a bit lazy

50 Icy Spear Mends Space

We need more Chosen One's using their status to blackmail The Powers That Be.

I mean, mortals die all the time, but if you're saving an uppity immortal's ass & they don't even have the decency to not be dicks about it...

We need more spiteful protags willing to let it all burn in order to screw the gods if they don't start playing ball.

beast_regards

It depends how they are handled.

If Chosen Ones are merely Empowered (given specific power or powers), but aren't really destined to succeed and needs to show actual effort in order to achieve their goal, it could work.

Generally, any scenario where Chosen Ones aren't destined to succeed (and/or you can fight fate) could work.

When they are destined to succeed, it takes away any tension, as there was never a challenge. This can potentially ruin a story even retrospectively (i.e. Chosen One and readers alike don't know he is fated to succeed, but it is revealed he was chosen all along)

Rufus Shinra

When they are destined to succeed, it takes away any tension, as there was never a challenge. This can potentially ruin a story even retrospectively (i.e. Chosen One and readers alike don't know he is fated to succeed, but it is revealed he was chosen all along)
That is, if the story is about the Chosen One rather than about the consequences of this shit around them.

beast_regards

That is, if the story is about the Chosen One rather than about the consequences of this shit around them.
Only if the Chosen One is not a protagonist.

If he or she is a protagonist, it can still work, theoretically, but it is getting much trickier ...

There is alternative where the Chosen one is destined to do something he (or she) don't want to happen (like destroy the world or do something equally catastrophic)

Mark Poe

The majestic cock
Author
Just another spice/component in the stew of the story: it really depend on the quality of the character and the rest of the components of the story.

bluepencil

Indentured Artist
Author

Fallout 2 Chosen One Best Chosen One.

I mean seriously, dude just a simple job: "Find Vic. Find GECK". That was all he was chosen for. And then kacked it up so much he ended up saving the world.

I like stories that have Chosen Ones say "okay" because the task ahead seemed quite achievable or able to accomplished multiple ways and then things just snowball beyond reason because of their own inherent stubbornness and sunk cost fallacy.

Last edited:

IndyFront

Yokkiziikzekker
Author
I like media that takes tropes and openly mocks them as childish and laughable.

Kylia Quilor

Hopeless Romantic and Nerd
Author
It depends on if Prophecy is a Thing in the setting or not, and what is established about the rules of prophecy, and how they work.

It's less fun if the whole reason the Chosen One is raring to kill/able to kill the Big Bad is because the Big Bad killed their family/slaughtered their village/etc but the only reason the Big Bad did that is because the prophecy said their enemy would be born on X date to X family or whatever (with coughHarryPottercough being a noteworthy example).

Also, being "The Chosen One" should be played as the horrifying shitpile it would logically be in anything but the most noblebright of all settings.

Lerticus

Senile Old Coot
Communism
Conflicted. As the Kwisatz Haderach, I feel that I can deliver an era of peace, but then some Harry Potter motherfucker comes along and I just want to choke the little prat.