What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we get more millennials to vote?

That's how we did it here in my country and our government usually declares election day a holiday as well, so that workers in the service sector could go and vote.

Mind you, in our last general election the then prime minister, dear Klepto himself did everything he could to stack the election in his favour. Gerrymandering (really blatant ones this time), disqualifying candidates, ghost voters, false ballot boxes, delaying vote counting and having election day smack dab on the middle of the week. Unfortunately for him the people got really fed up with him and he got booted out. We were worried that Klepto might not give up power but luckily the army didn't care for him and the bigwigs in the Election Comission saw how things were going and declared for our new government.
Problem with the US is that the companies will flat out ignore whatever federal holiday that comes along. So even if you declare election day a federal holiday, the companies will literally flip the bird and force the workers to work that day.

Problem with the US is that the companies will flat out ignore whatever federal holiday that comes along. So even if you declare election day a federal holiday, the companies will literally flip the bird and force the workers to work that day.

Goddamn that is just wrong. Money talks, bullshit walks really is big in the USA, eh?

Goddamn that is just wrong. Money talks, bullshit walks really is big in the USA, eh?
We've literally had employers threaten to close factories if the wrong guy wins an election. They don't just try and prevent employees from voting, they tell them how to vote.

Ever since the Cult of Reagan started, yeah that happened. It doesn't help that our companies have a long history of fucking everyone over if they don't have their way...
We've literally had employers threaten to close factories if the wrong guy wins an election. They don't just try and prevent employees from voting, they tell them how to vote.
Pretty much, and personally those employeers should be blacklisted at best... I'm serious about this. There is a reason that I want some rather extreme measures taken on corporations and their stockholders.

Ever since the Cult of Reagan started, yeah that happened. It doesn't help that our companies have a long history of fucking everyone over if they don't have their way...

Pretty much, and personally those employeers should be blacklisted at best... I'm serious about this. There is a reason that I want some rather extreme measures taken on corporations and their stockholders.
Papa Johns is one that did that btw

That's when you call your minimum wage employer and go "I'm not coming in, Bitch"

That's when you call your minimum wage employer and go "I'm not coming in, Bitch"
And then they tell all the other places you try to apply at not to hire you, and never get to go beyond minimum wage.

And then they tell all the other places you try to apply at not to hire you, and never get to go beyond minimum wage.
That's pretty rare and illegal in most parts of the country.

Nobody is going to pay attention to walmart's blacklist.

It's more than just Walmart, other places from what I've heard have unofficial blacklisting as well. Governments can't prosecute because of the 'Oh, nice low unemplyoment you've got therer, it would be bad if something happened to it...' hook.

It's more than just Walmart, other places from what I've heard have unofficial blacklisting as well. Governments can't prosecute because of the 'Oh, nice low unemplyoment you've got therer, it would be bad if something happened to it...' hook.
Walmart blacklist their own employees from being able to be hired on again at other Walmarts. Amazon does the same thing to anybody who takes their "Quit for $5,000" offer.

No, no it isn't. Even in "at will employment" states where they can't say why they fired you, they are still able to say if they consider you "rehirable". There are no laws anywhere in the US that prevent blacklisting by employers.

None of which prevents the following:
Q: would you hire him?
A: no
Which isn't a blacklist.

And that's all it takes in a world where all your prior employers and their contact info are required from you when applying for a new job
Have you ever been in a low-skill job environment? How many past employers do you think they contact for a prospective courtesy clerk or bagger?

Which isn't a blacklist.

Have you ever been in a low-skill job environment? How many past employers do you think they contact for a prospective courtesy clerk or bagger?
Was thinking of slightly higher. Things like call center reps, restaurant workers, factory and warehouse folks, clerical staff, etc...

If Walmart fired you and you then went on to seek new employment you'd be looking in the same bracket as walmart. If you could get a noticeably better job you'd of already taken it.

Besides I don't know a single Walmart employee who isn't a drug addict, ex felon, teenager, retiree, or mentally disabled.

If there was some way to do it properly and securely, making voting as easy as logging in to a website and casting a vote would do it. Maybe have the site be a specific webpage hosted by the gov that is only up for a certain amount of time. Like a week or two, so that after you have a change of heart you can go back and switch before the deadline. Each name would have a list of issues each candidate stands for and quotes selected by said candidate to best represent their character.
Then it is inaccessible for the remainder of the year after the deadline.

Not saying millenials are lazy, but we like our instant gratification and technology. Hell, mail-in ballots can do the same thing, but that involves postage. Motherfuckers don't send letters anymore.

That'd be my answer. But then again I know it'd have too many issues so it's more so a pipe dream.

Try to actually engage with them and not yell at them constantly, you'd be surprised how far you get by being polite and genuinely engaging with people without trying to preach or scream at them.

God knows I could have used it.

Also they would be Gen Z people born in 2000 and 2001 will be 17-18. this year.

Can we not with the ageism? It's not like every boomer votes the same way.

And as much as I'd love a swing of policy worldwide to the left, you're kidding yourself if you think every millennial votes progressive.

similarly I would love a worldwide swing to the left and we keep running left after. and basica
Define "genuinely profitable degree", because STEM degrees aren't. Education degrees aren't, and that's despite an active shortage of those to the point where we have to import them. Medical degrees aren't either, most of those leave you in debt for a decade. Law's the same. The only "profitable degree" is "an MBA that comes with a job daddy already set up for me with his connections"

11 of my friends have disregarded College until after they go to trade school. because the money just isn't worth it.

They plan on getting a stable trade first then going to college.

Me and a few of my other friends going to college. We are the odd ones out. in recent years.

People always blame someone when things go to shit. It's just that this time, I expect that the scapegoats are less likely to be ethnic minorities and more likely to be anyone who looks "republican". So, overtly religious folks, pro-Israel folks, etc...

As someone already in that arena of politics.

Honey they already are there and have started blaming anyone that looks or acts republican.

I only get away with religion because I am pagan.

"Millenials are too sensitive and need safespaces, but don't call racist conservatives racists or we'll become nazis"

"Millenials need to get degrees that pay enough and not be in debt, but the only way to not be in debt is to have rich connect parents"

"Millenials are lazy even though they work more for less that the previous generations"

Millenials just don't bother to vote even though there's more voter suppression than any time since Jim Crow and their bosses actively threaten their jobs if they take time off or if they vote the "wrong way"

Yup this in a nut shell is just everything. that I hear constantly.

Trust me piss off Gen Z enough and I swear you will see shit.

To be honest, I don't think it's leftists, it's anyone who recognizes fascism for what it is. Like I've seen SocDems who recognize Fascism is on the rise and an effort needs to be made by all parties to deplatform bad faith actors be called "the real Fascist".

it was explained to you he was offering a broad defense of the Pinochet regime, which, yes, did include rape.

fuck me if the SocDems are able to tell your a fucking facist then shit is fuck

One of my friends got fired because of the fact that midterms didn't go the right way.

its fucking asinine.

Also for the last time the recent generation is Gen Z I should know I am Gen-Z

If there was some way to do it properly and securely, making voting as easy as logging in to a website and casting a vote would do it. Maybe have the site be a specific webpage hosted by the gov that is only up for a certain amount of time. Like a week or two, so that after you have a change of heart you can go back and switch before the deadline. Each name would have a list of issues each candidate stands for and quotes selected by said candidate to best represent their character.
Then it is inaccessible for the remainder of the year after the deadline.

Not saying millenials are lazy, but we like our instant gratification and technology. Hell, mail-in ballots can do the same thing, but that involves postage. Motherfuckers don't send letters anymore.

That'd be my answer. But then again I know it'd have too many issues so it's more so a pipe dream.
Sufficiently motivated millennials will vote via the mail. The Australian same sex marriage plebiscite was a mail vote and iirc participation was like 80% (edit: whoo go me actually it was 79.5% exactly) soooo.

Back
Top Bottom