What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we get more millennials to vote?

Said president is massively unpopular
He's also massively ineffective at implementing his agenda and has shown numerous times he's just a corporate shill. His failings say nothing of the american peoples views on immigration.

his party just suffered it's biggest reversal in voting habits in the past 50 years. They only exist in the house at all because of gerrymandering and vote suppression, they are so terrified of what comes next that they are trying to kneecap the state offices they lost before the new holders take office, florida is likely lost to them forever after the restoration of voting rights to over a million people not likely to be fond of them.
The political pendulum exists and swings with every election cycle, Trumps victory in 2016 was thought impossible by the vast majority of the left and when it happened many were traumatized by the experience.

It's no surprise there was a strong blue wave this midterm, it would of been bizarre if it didn't happen like this, but that doesn't magically show that all trump supporter suddenly stopped being protectionist, nationalist, xenophobic, or out right racist. Not to say that all of them are all of those things though.

Economics prevent them anyway. When 78% of the population are literally paycheck to paycheck even when working full-time, every hour counts. Not to mention that politics is a time consuming process anyway...
First off, your citation offers a perfectly workable explanation that has nothing to do with the "work to live" mentality: Debt. 71% in debt, 78% living pay check to paycheck. How much overlap do you think that has? Guess what the largest contributor to the Millennial debt total is? Student loans, because they don't get properly informed that they actually have to pay that back and need a genuinely profitable degree to do so. And with something like a quarter of them going through university...

Federally requiring a voting period that companies legally cannot remove is a perfectly workable way of making voting available, and time is not the constraint. Again, with 10 hour work days, well above the norm, and 10 hours of sleep, well above the norm, you still have four hours you could spend going out to vote, so unless your commute is absolutely nightmarish, you should have the time to do it. You are fundamentally misunderstanding the numbers because you're thinking employees can just decide to work longer or that having two jobs is normal, but it isn't normal, nor can you just decide to work longer.

Edit: More you're failing to comprehend about the situation: Not everyone has work hours that overlap voting hours at all. Lots of people can get going a bit earlier to vote before or after work, a decent chunk can vote during breaks they get on a daily basis, people have free time because it's actually quite difficult to get to the point where your entire day revolves entirely around work and, generally, there's a lot of ways someone living paycheck-to-paycheck can still have the time available to vote.

Define "genuinely profitable degree", because STEM degrees aren't. Education degrees aren't, and that's despite an active shortage of those to the point where we have to import them. Medical degrees aren't either, most of those leave you in debt for a decade. Law's the same. The only "profitable degree" is "an MBA that comes with a job daddy already set up for me with his connections"

He's also massively ineffective at implementing his agenda and has shown numerous times he's just a corporate shill. His failings say nothing of the american peoples views on immigration.
I don't know, those kiddie concentration camps are still open and getting more crowded with no one talking about it anymore and a transgender refugee was beat by guards and left to bleed to death from internal injuries and there's no real accountability because the administration waived security measures like even fingerprinting these guards. Americans are pretty fucking awful, there's a reason I'm trying to leave the country permanently.

I don't know, those kiddie concentration camps are still open and getting more crowded with no one talking about it anymore and a transgender refugee was beat by guards and left to bleed to death from internal injuries and there's no real accountability because the administration waived security measures like even fingerprinting these guards. Americans are pretty fucking awful, there's a reason I'm trying to leave the country permanently.

To where? Australia has been doing worse shit for years, Europe is slowly and surely following suit (FFS Denmark wants to deport all immigrants to an island soon), and Japan is a horror story for immigrants.

I dunno if it's just Americans, they're are assholes all over, you get similar bigoted scumbags over here, but they seem to be more aimed at "Those damn Poles and Pakistanis" then the LGBT community here. I suppose we lack the Bible thumpers and asshole rednecks like the US.

To where? Australia has been doing worse shit for years, Europe is slowly and surely following suit (FFS Denmark wants to deport all immigrants to an island soon), and Japan is a horror story for immigrants.
Ideally a place where it's not legal to murder me because you were attracted to me cause you thought I'm cis and went into full on gay panic because of your insecurities and where they don't have concentration camps. These are pretty low bars to meet.

Ideally a place where it's not legal to murder me because you were attracted to me cause you thought I'm cis and went into full on gay panic because of your insecurities and where they don't have concentration camps. These are pretty low bars to meet.

That's Australia and most of Western Europe out then. I find it funny that the one place liberals like to trumpet as the triumph of open borders has been among the harshest for immigrants.

https://www.globaldetentionproject.org/regions-subregions/europe

I suppose we lack the Bible thumpers and asshole rednecks like the US.
Pretty much, though we conversely also largely lack ultranationalists because we didn't ever really have a long stretch of rivalry with another country. Instead, we get ethonationalists thanks to the justifications made for chattel slavery, which tend to be much more dangerous when they do get power, but are vastly less likely to get it, particularly given that the US is much closer to a minority majority country than basically anywhere in Europe.. Though the "asshole Rednecks" are pretty much Protestant 1860s Irish, preserved in all their backwards inbred "glory" by the early Industrial Revolution agricultural sector still having a place for small farms and rendered more insane, in terms of religion, by being trapped in the depths of the Bible Belt without anyone around to tell them where to draw the line.

Nope, economics have always have been a major determination on political power in history. If you can't spend the time to vote because even one hour means choosing heat, the car, or food, then you can't vote. Between the trend of stagflation started by Reagan (if the minimum wage kept up with inflation, it would be $20+ if I remember right), the weakening of the unions and workers' rights in general, among other things, most people don't have the time or money to vote. Even if you can muster the political capital to get a voting day, it'll be killed in committee at the earliest... because that means that is a day that people aren't working and thus not getting a paycheck. Trying to force it as paid leave that everyone gets is impossible given the unwillingness of corporations in general.

I believe politicians dont want us to vote. But then I see giant billboards that just say VOTE so ive stepped back. Unless that was some activated citizen with large pockets and an important message.

Define "genuinely profitable degree", because STEM degrees aren't. Education degrees aren't, and that's despite an active shortage of those to the point where we have to import them. Medical degrees aren't either, most of those leave you in debt for a decade. Law's the same. The only "profitable degree" is "an MBA that comes with a job daddy already set up for me with his connections"
A huge chunk of the reason those aren't profitable degrees is because student loans have enabled ludicrous tuition inflation. Without those, the institutions would be utterly unsustainable at their current fees, because they only get that money thanks to student loans guaranteeing they get their money.

I said "less likely". Not "unable to". Furthermore, Trump's policy has had virtually nothing to do with white nationalism. It's a fairly generic isolationist-nationalist sort of thing, in terms of the policy itself. I've heard nothing of damage to the African American community, nor was any such thing involved in his platform. The Hispanics are outsiders coming in, in violation of existing US law that has largely been in place since Bush, with nearly no changes under Obama. The Muslim ban that initially made it through was targeted not at countries that were Muslim, but a select few within that group that have noteworthy hostility to the United States.

Nope, economics have always have been a major determination on political power in history. If you can't spend the time to vote because even one hour means choosing heat, the car, or food, then you can't vote. Between the trend of stagflation started by Reagan (if the minimum wage kept up with inflation, it would be $20+ if I remember right), the weakening of the unions and workers' rights in general, among other things, most people don't have the time or money to vote. Even if you can muster the political capital to get a voting day, it'll be killed in committee at the earliest... because that means that is a day that people aren't working and thus not getting a paycheck. Trying to force it as paid leave that everyone gets is impossible given the unwillingness of corporations in general.
Numbers proving these claims. Show me that large segments of the US do work long enough for it to post a barrier to having the time to go vote. You are not showing me your claim is true, all you're showing is that people can't miss work, and I've given multiple ways this is not actually proving your point. People can't, outside of very rare circumstances, work long enough to be left with less than four hours outside the workplace. So unless two hours commuting each way is commonplace, the issue is not a matter of not having enough time. And given the average millennial work week is about 47 hours, it's a fact that 10 hours a day is abnormally high.

The bulk of the population does not have working hours that make it difficult to have the time to vote. The conflict is, at most, one of timing. Work hours overlapping voting hours. People aren't on utterly psychotic shoestring budgets like you're thinking, "paycheck to paycheck" usually means loan payments being shuffled to avoid bankruptcy. It's not forcing a choice between gas, food and rent. It's usually going to be a matter of debt payments. Because it is not possible for most people to have the sort of work schedule to actually end up in the situation you're talking about, simply because a 12 hour work day is an unholy pile of garbage for workplace efficiency. Hell, there's some studies showing 8 hours of work is pushing it. People are not being prevented from voting due to work hours on any major scale, because the voting period is often placed such that people can detour during lunch hour for it or go do it before or after work. Total overlap is absurdly rare, and the most common shift has several hours after the end of the typical work hours to vote.

You're either thinking that people can just decide to work as long as they want, or that work hours frequently overlap the whole voting period. Both of these are extremely rare circumstances. Unless you have numbers directly showing otherwise?

The Muslim ban that initially made it through was targeted not at countries that were Muslim, but a select few within that group that have noteworthy hostility to the United States.

Strange that Trump excluded countries with extensive business ties to the Trump Organization in his ban, isn't it? It's like he didn't want his hotels and other businesses to be run out of said countries.

The Hispanics are outsiders coming in, in violation of existing US law that has largely been in place since Bush, with nearly no changes under Obama.
This is two lies in one, illegal immigration across the border is still on a ten year low and the children being put in concentration camps are refugees with is not a violation of existing law as treaties signed by the US in effect become part of Constitutional law as the highest law in the land and the US is signatory to the relevant treaties that makes it wholly legal to walk across the border at any point and claim asylum.

Australia since the John Howard administration has been openly pursuing worse policies towards asylum seekers, while the league/m5s government in Italy is about to deport half a million people, and the Danish government is opening up an internment camp on an isolated island.

As for trump his mass internment policy is less Nazi esque and more what fdr and Eisenhower did. And again just because a country doesn't have a schengen arrangement with the rest of the planet does not make them Nazi Germany. The main problem is that a lot of Millennials have a VERY idealised vision of western Europe and seen to think "if Europe can do this, so can we!".

A huge chunk of the reason those aren't profitable degrees is because student loans have enabled ludicrous tuition inflation. Without those, the institutions would be utterly unsustainable at their current fees, because they only get that money thanks to student loans guaranteeing they get their money.

I said "less likely". Not "unable to". Furthermore, Trump's policy has had virtually nothing to do with white nationalism. It's a fairly generic isolationist-nationalist sort of thing, in terms of the policy itself. I've heard nothing of damage to the African American community, nor was any such thing involved in his platform. The Hispanics are outsiders coming in, in violation of existing US law that has largely been in place since Bush, with nearly no changes under Obama. The Muslim ban that initially made it through was targeted not at countries that were Muslim, but a select few within that group that have noteworthy hostility to the United States.

Numbers proving these claims. Show me that large segments of the US do work long enough for it to post a barrier to having the time to go vote. You are not showing me your claim is true, all you're showing is that people can't miss work, and I've given multiple ways this is not actually proving your point. People can't, outside of very rare circumstances, work long enough to be left with less than four hours outside the workplace. So unless two hours commuting each way is commonplace, the issue is not a matter of not having enough time. And given the average millennial work week is about 47 hours, it's a fact that 10 hours a day is abnormally high.

The bulk of the population does not have working hours that make it difficult to have the time to vote. The conflict is, at most, one of timing. Work hours overlapping voting hours. People aren't on utterly psychotic shoestring budgets like you're thinking, "paycheck to paycheck" usually means loan payments being shuffled to avoid bankruptcy. It's not forcing a choice between gas, food and rent. It's usually going to be a matter of debt payments. Because it is not possible for most people to have the sort of work schedule to actually end up in the situation you're talking about, simply because a 12 hour work day is an unholy pile of garbage for workplace efficiency. Hell, there's some studies showing 8 hours of work is pushing it. People are not being prevented from voting due to work hours on any major scale, because the voting period is often placed such that people can detour during lunch hour for it or go do it before or after work. Total overlap is absurdly rare, and the most common shift has several hours after the end of the typical work hours to vote.

You're either thinking that people can just decide to work as long as they want, or that work hours frequently overlap the whole voting period. Both of these are extremely rare circumstances. Unless you have numbers directly showing otherwise?
You realize that your reply to me here literally admits that your prior post was bullshit? Seriously all the crap you and other fascists say about the millenials is lies. They don't like you and yours because they read too much to be religious, they talk to much with other people to be racist, and they work to much to be capitalists.

You realize that your reply to me here literally admits that your prior post was bullshit? Seriously all the crap you and other fascists say about the millenials is lies. They don't like you and yours because they read too much to be religious, they talk to much with other people to be racist, and they work to much to be capitalists.

They said that about Young people in Europe today, but a substantial bloc of supporters for the European Far Right and Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil are among the young. Don't kid yourself into thinking that Millennials will somehow pull together as one in the next recession because when it comes crashing down, it all comes down. Think about how the Great Depression set women back generations while eviscerating a nascent Black Middle Class.

They said that about Young people in Europe today, but a substantial bloc of supporters for the European Far Right and Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil are among the young. Don't kid yourself into thinking that Millennials will somehow pull together as one in the next recession because when it comes crashing down, it all comes down. Think about how the Great Depression set women back generations while eviscerating a nascent Black Middle Class.
Both Morphile and myself were speaking purely from an American perspective ABOUT the US. Europe and Brazil aren't relevant because those aren't the cultures being discussed. Hell, the thread itself is US focused because we're the ones with the shit turnout thst needs changing.

Both Morphile and myself were speaking purely from an American perspective ABOUT the US. Europe and Brazil aren't relevant because those aren't the cultures being discussed. Hell, the thread itself is US focused because we're the ones with the shit turnout thst needs changing.

All I am saying is that people will talk of being educated and enlightened tribunes of civic virtue until the first sign of trouble, and there is plenty of historical (and modern) precedent for that.

All I am saying is that people will talk of being educated and enlightened tribunes of civic virtue until the first sign of trouble, and there is plenty of historical (and modern) precedent for that.
People always blame someone when things go to shit. It's just that this time, I expect that the scapegoats are less likely to be ethnic minorities and more likely to be anyone who looks "republican". So, overtly religious folks, pro-Israel folks, etc...

People always blame someone when things go to shit. It's just that this time, I expect that the scapegoats are less likely to be ethnic minorities and more likely to be anyone who looks "republican". So, overtly religious folks, pro-Israel folks, etc...

Even in Sweden you have been seeing a rise in support for the Far Right. Do you really think "People of diverse backgrounds will pull together as one!" will work this time?

Back
Top Bottom