What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Horizons: Inner Sphere - Quest

What are they going to do, once someone lands on the planet? Watch them die slowly or get blasted out of the sky before they can even leave the atmosphere?
Personally i am assuming that someone going for the planet would have been repeadtly warned off and perhaps even shots fired either way. A single ship is little threat and easily dealt with so if Petan is putting out alarm its already a major incursion by a outside force trying to strike at targets or under delusion the planet is holding something very valuable. Honestly i cant see a situation where if Petans needs help we have either dropped the ball or not already sending everything not needed to cover other worlds to deal with the problem. Anything touching the world dies. By our hands is just mercy. If we even think a force has touched the planet and is escaping it should be hunted to the last and nuked to dust then nuked again.
He would likely be.
Then we should ask him to be ambassador for this and see what he says.
Anyway...

If taking a beeline from 61 Virginis to Terra, Petan would get there within 30 days, and that is if he goes alone. He can make about 122.5ly per five days. 100ly per double jump and 22.5ly in HF space while recharging. If he was travelling with en entire squadron worth of ships, say, with his siblings and 17 dropship sized craft craft, he'd make the trip in 28 days.
Please stop giving me genocidal thoughts.

Oh god. He is like Jihad-era Word of Blake Double Jump WarShip fast. Hahahaha. They have zero chance of reacting to that.
No one can. That speed invalidates all traditional strategic reasoning.

Oh god. He is like Jihad-era Word of Blake Double Jump WarShip fast. Hahahaha. They have zero chance of reacting to that.
I calculated that for about 755ly distance... :D

Now we need Interconnected United to visit us and we can put the final nail into the coffin of the Cameron master plan of keeping humanity locked down in the Inner Sphere.

@Warringer
Did you know copies of the SLDF Helm Cache data are going around the IS via trade ships. Why not get one from them or even visit the man himself who got it out, Carlyle? He still has one copy. With our Quantum CPU's we will decode it in a few weeks instead of decades. We can then hold it over Hanse to behave himself in regards to us.

Why am I interested in it? Well. There is this thing called a Jump Booster that can boost a ship to 40 LY per jumps from 30 LY.

I am intending to increase Petan's 120 LY per 5 days to 160 LY per 5 days. And then get IU people to help us build Double Jumpers and we would boost it to 320 LY per 5 days.

MWUHAHAHAHAHA! :LOL:

Now we need Interconnected United to visit us and we can put the final nail into the coffin of the Cameron master plan of keeping humanity locked down in the Inner Sphere.
Who?
@Warringer
Did you know copies of the SLDF Helm Cache data are going around the IS via trade ships. Why not get one from them or even visit the man himself who got it out, Carlyle? He still has one copy. With our Quantum CPU's we will decode it in a few weeks instead of decades. We can then hold it over Hanse to behave himself in regards to us.

Why am I interested in it? Well. There is this thing called a Jump Booster that can boost a ship to 40 LY per jumps from 30 LY.

I am intending to increase Petan's 120 LY per 5 days to 160 LY per 5 days. And then get IU people to help us build Double Jumpers and we would boost it to 320 LY per 5 days.

MWUHAHAHAHAHA! :LOL:
We already have double jump capabilities... >_>

Interconnected United iirc a group that invented the tech that allowed for the jihad crazy jumps that ROM stole off their corpses when they finally caught up to them. Helm cache is something at this point we need to go straght to say Grey Death Legion or hope to get crap copy from the FedCom. Any we find on market are probable ROM copies that give crap or altered. Jump booster was very experimental star league device that is lost. Helm cache would not have it given it is a general how to guide to get to league level.

They are actually a front company for a faction of the Word of Blake who is a faction of ComStar itself. They dislike the "bombing everyone into stone age" bit. They have neat tech...like a very very very deep understanding of KF tech, HPG's, and Jump Cores.

I know not what Hanse is planning but he also does not know what he is messing with. Yes he is a not a petty lord to be wowed but we can be good friends or horrific enemy. When this meeting starts we should have our military on full display. We should have a number of jumpships we plan to sell lined up and guarded and offer to let the delegates see them and even let purchasing agents see them be built if needed. We should offer the others our medical knowledge for sell as well.

Adam should inform Hanse we were quite willing to deal primarily with the FedCom but since he insists on games like this well we can be friends and trade partners with everyone. If he has problems with that please talk to our warships.

Petan can keep his gob shut if need be. Largely because he does not want everyone to know that there is The Plague about on Cterin. Because he knows that it would lead to some... interested parties... Keep in mind that Petan got his own cult worshiping him as Guardian Of The Dead and that cult had about half of the population of 61 Virginis as members, even if they are generally following another religion. Polytheism is fun that way...
It's not about him keeping mum about it, but rather that Cterin's status is public knowledge within our information sphere. to be blunt I'd be surprised if there wasn't numerous media depictions of the events around the Plague, Cterin, the exodus, et cetera. Heck, it's probably a trope in their fiction for the particularly evil bad dudes to have plans to acquire some of that plague for nefarious reasons, and them being hunted/shot down by Petan after realising the best laid plans of mice and men go smoosh under the hellfire of an angry god.
Sick as it is to say killing Terra would solve many problems. And probable create a few. Still perhaps a net positive.
…I doubt the Terran population is all moustache-twirlingly evil ComStar patsies. I mean, I don't know BT, obviously, but cindering a world is a bit harsh. Better to cut off the snake's head (and cut up its body) than to burn down the jungle that hosted it.

As for Adam… I'm hesitant on that. He seems to have a trollish streak, which in diplomacy is a bit of a two-edged sword. Funny as heck for the reader, sure, but this might shoot us in the foot. Having him as a real time advisor/observer during the talks would work, though, as long as he's able to keep his gob shut.

[X] Warship Roles
[X] Deep Cover Intelligence III

As a reminder releasing HPG theory along with selling/building HPG stations is more than enough to ruin Comstar.

The great houses will be more than happy to nationalize al Comstar the moment the thret of Interdiction goes..

HPGs, Comguard mechs not to mention all the sweet Terra real estate.
Ofc the first to have a go at it will probably get mauled but at that point we just have to stand in the sideines and watch.

The economic disraption with the collapse of the E bill will probably hit harder but the IS house lords never showed any concern over economic woes when it came to their wars or riding their precious mechs.

It's not about him keeping mum about it, but rather that Cterin's status is public knowledge within our information sphere. to be blunt I'd be surprised if there wasn't numerous media depictions of the events around the Plague, Cterin, the exodus, et cetera. Heck, it's probably a trope in their fiction for the particularly evil bad dudes to have plans to acquire some of that plague for nefarious reasons, and them being hunted/shot down by Petan after realising the best laid plans of mice and men go smoosh under the hellfire of an angry god.
On the other hand, Petan is someone who is not intimidated by ANYONE.
As for Adam… I'm hesitant on that. He seems to have a trollish streak, which in diplomacy is a bit of a two-edged sword. Funny as heck for the reader, sure, but this might shoot us in the foot. Having him as a real time advisor/observer during the talks would work, though, as long as he's able to keep his gob shut.
He is not at all trollish, as he is all about helping people. He just is... creative, when it comes how he does it.

…I doubt the Terran population is all moustache-twirlingly evil ComStar patsies. I mean, I don't know BT, obviously, but cindering a world is a bit harsh. Better to cut off the snake's head (and cut up its body) than to burn down the jungle that hosted it.
They are not per say but they grow up in a kinda toxic culture that says Terra is the center of the universe and all others are dirty provincials who should really listen to Terra. When invading New Avalon during the Jihad a Terran solider derided it is as a backwater and that is a pretty common attitude.

@Warringer
Well. IU members got killed wholesale for their trouble by the Proto-WoB in OTL 3040s. Several years from now. Which automatically puts them into OKaish territory in my books.
Just looked at their sarna entry... Not really much to go on in there...

And... hang on... D. Gently's Detective Agency? They are likely a holistic bunch, aren't they...

Just looked at their sarna entry... Not really much to go on in there...

And... hang on... D. Gently's Detective Agency? They are likely a holistic bunch, aren't they...
I seem to remember that they also studied Phantom Mech, Hyperspace 'Whales', and wanted to catch one such creature with a heavily modified Jump Ship that would act like a Proton Pack from the Ghost Busters. Banzai never meet them but he would definitely have a blast.
*Adam and Emperor get slightly nervous and shifty faces*

I seem to remember that they also studied Phantom Mech, Hyperspace 'Whales', and wanted to catch one such creature with a heavily modified Jump Ship that would act like a Proton Pack from the Ghost Busters. Banzai never meet them but he would definitely have a blast.
*Adam and Emperor get slightly nervous and shifty faces*
Quite likely, but I don't think that either Adam or the Emperor are going to be shaking in their boots. They are already fixed to something in Einstein space.

[X] Warship Roles
[X] Deep Cover Intelligence III

Something I forgot to mention in my last longer post, there's also the chance that the WCDC will be forced/pressured into reforms. Let me explain.

Currently we're something like NATO of old, starting out as a defence treaty to coordinate and deal with the vastly disrupted situation the Three Systems found themselves in. But that was more than ten years ago. Ample enough time for the bureaucracy to grow, for expansion of authority and assumption of national and sovereign rights from the WCDC member worlds towards the WCDC organisation.

At the same time we're not the United Nations (for one, we have teeth), nor are we a supranational or interstellar government. We are founded on treaties and funded by nations, and as such we are not very… how do I put it… legitimate by other interstellar polities. Technically the WCDC facilities contacts between nations of its member stations and the outside/IS worlds, even if there are in practice WCDC embassies. But I expect the staffing of these embassies to be heavily influenced by the internal and international politics of our constituent nations. We don't have a unified world government collecting taxes, assigning judges, or writing laws. In other words, we are a coordinator between our constituents, not a ruler above our subjects.

What this boils down to is that despite hosting a peace conference, I fully expect for our legitimacy of speaking for our worlds to be put to question in a way the other polities won't. It is a legitimate (heh) tactic in negotiations, to undermine the opponent's authority (or claim of authority). And given our disposition and short history, it will be easy, or at least obvious, to try to drive a wedge into us to split us apart.
Since I also expect our diplomats to be up to snuff with these rhetoric attacks (I mean, if an internet dude could see this coming after a couple minutes of thought, they'd be really remiss if the didn't), we shouldn't absolutely need to worry about it, but still.

So I was wondering, or at least put it up for discussion, on what the next 'constitutional' steps for the WCDC might be. Not should, not could, might. A League confederation or a coalition comes to mind. We are by my layman's interpretations already a coalition (and never were quite a committee), and a confederation can cover very loose arrangements to almost federalised government.
To be clear, I'm not advocating a federation or federal republic, we are much too heterogeneous for that to work easily. But an official name change to coalition with some expert opinions and polls for the establishment of a confederation would throw a spanner into the works of anyone crying that we're lacking legitimacy to be treated as an equal and should come back when we consolidate our rule.

Heck, I'm fine with not being a confederation either way, since there'll be a great many polities on Sol and elsewhere that will stridently reject surrendering any sovereign rights, but this way we'll have a fig leaf reply already in hand.

Honestly i expect us to slowly aggregate by need and efficiency into a single state eventually. Individual states lack the resources and power to matter much against the IS. Its only together that we can punch at their weight or above with unified purpose and needs gelling us together. It will not be swift or easy and i expect the real change will only come from hard war where after the fire we look up and see brothers and sisters not rivals.

By this time, we are further sliding towards a Confederation anyway...

Might lead to the WCDC being renamed in a bit... And get rid of the 'Walker Cluster' bit, considering that worlds outside the Cluster are members... ;)

After taking a look at Interconnectedness Unlimited in 'Interstellar Players 2', I could see that the Lucretia jumps into one of the systems near the WCDC, gets mistaken for a pirate and had a squadron of anti-piracy ships arrive after being directed there.Or something along that line... :p

Should the get into touch with our scientists, they are going to go apeshit about the fact that we have developed the Advanced Jump Core within a couple of years from almost First Principles.

After taking a look at Interconnectedness Unlimited in 'Interstellar Players 2', I could see that the Lucretia jumps into one of the systems near the WCDC, gets mistaken for a pirate and had a squadron of anti-piracy ships arrive after being directed there.Or something along that line... :p

Should the get into touch with our scientists, they are going to go apeshit about the fact that we have developed the Advanced Jump Core within a couple of years from almost First Principles.
Would be far better fate than canon and we could use them. Pair their research with ours should be a great boost. They have to be doing something right to get as far as they have.

Last edited:
[x] Project Black Light:
On one of the former colonies, an apparent plasma weapon has been recovered. It would be a good idea to take a close look at the weapon and potentially develop a usable weapon from it.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 45%, Reward: Plasma Weapon technology, 50% chance of plasma weapon prototype (1d4 for type)

[x] Deep Cover Intelligence III:
There is one already build new spycraft in form of the No Pirate Life For Me. Maybe it would be a good idea for an even longer ranged operation to make a long tour through the Inner Sphere and touch in places previously not visited, such as the Draconis Combine and the Federated Commonwealth, as well as the various other periphery powers.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: continous intelligence reports over several years, while other operations are available
This option takes one turn to initiate, than continues without using up an option

Back
Top Bottom