What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Horizons: Inner Sphere - Quest

A single army of the twenty of the old league could crush us. A warship task force could jump in and if not outrange our defenses
Hahaha. No. Outrange? No way in hell. Our polity has RL Hard SF DEW and KEW ranges. Not even the Expanded Sourcebook stuff like a range of 8000km for Heavy Naval PPC (in most other sourcebooks it was under 1000km). Add equal STL mobility and speed to our ships like the SLN had and, with our existing HF FTL, we would fucking slaughter their fleets with our 'micro' ships doing run around and shoot strategy. We would be the Mongol Horse Archers to the European united chivalry at the Battle of Legnica in 1241.

Hahaha. No. Outrange? No way in hell.
Apologies got busy. Perhaps but I would not count on it. Warringer is already uping ranges so why not give is warships sane ranges. And Mongol horde tactics is... Concerning when you are whirling about ships with laser weapons and guns that can practically one shot or cripple your ships if they hit and cap guns can hit dropships scale targets if with a to hit penalty iirc.

Apologies got busy. Perhaps but I would not count on it. Warringer is already uping ranges so why not give is warships sane ranges. And Mongol horde tactics is... Concerning when you are whirling about ships with laser weapons and guns that can practically one shot or cripple your ships if they hit and cap guns can hit dropships scale targets if with a to hit penalty iirc.
Warringer upping ranges? He is upping them to Sourcebook Extended ranges that were used for AEwaB...aka around 8000km max for longest ranged Naval weapons. BT's NPPC's and NL's dissipate into nothing after passing that range.
Now add Fusion torch drives from BT to our ships and we would fly circles around the SLN while shooting from a distance of half a light second or more.

So I've been thinking, and while I've seen weak evidence for the crisis we'll be facing to be of martial nature, could someone please rehash those? Off the top of my head:
  • There are the Irinai Hegemony, which either aren't 'native' to the WCDC's former home setting of Growing Horizons, or were independently transported over into the BT setting a few hundred years ahead of us. Also note that Warringer mentioned "they are contained. For now. And their existance has been hinted at previously." Off the cuff I don't remember that, but I assume it has to do with the not gonna say to avoid influencing others' ideas into certain directions.
  • There's the Clans, who may be fielding WarShips, but I can't shake the impression they'll be just as affected by the crisis as we'll be.
  • The IS. They seem to be in a constant low-level civil war and any attempt at any political power becoming hegemon is immediately stabbed in the face. Again, I expect we'll be tacitly joining forces to deal with whatever is coming.
  • Whatever 'contained' the Irinai. My brain immediately jumped to the parallel of the unnamed aliens who contained the Primes, and in particular MorningLightMountain, in Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained/Commonwealth Saga. These would definitely qualify as an Outside Context Problem, much more than we are to the IS.
Furthermore the successful reactivation of Verdar (the bipedal reptoid Alien Robot), and the information he provided, is rather important:
  • 'Irinai Hegemony' is expansionist and/or xenophobic. They invade other planets.
  • The 'Union' (I feel like some national/qualifying word was dropped there, @Warringer, but maybe intentional?) are the sort of people that lend help and evacuate peoples facing an invading force. We don't know if that is for preference (pacifistic philosophy, nomadic nature, …), necessity (they simply can't go toe to toe with Irinai forces), happenstance (only small forces present and not enough time for a more measured response), or something else.
  • Both the polities are somewhere out there and we haven't discovered them yet. For this there are multiple possible explanations:
    • Both are dead.
      Since we know by Word of Warringer that the Irinai are 'contained', Murder Hamsters are still a thing. Since something or someone contained the Irinai, we can infer the Union is also probably still around. And if we're (un)lucky, it's them doing the containing.
    • One is dead, one alive.
      Again, according to Word of Warringer this would indicate that Verdar is both the type and endling of his species, which is just all kinds of sad. Let's just hope this is not the case.
    • Both are alive.
      The best and worst scenario: we don't know where either are. They might be hundreds of light years distant and two respective scouting missions just happened to run across each other here. In this scenario the Irinai were just committing genocide-of-opportunity. Nothing better than to murder future problems in the crib.
      Or they might be really close. Heck, either polity might be already situated in our 90 ly bubble, we simply don't know.
Which is one reason why I keep pushing for regular Survey missions that actually, y'know, survey. Heck, I'm willing to cede in-depth surveys in the general direction of the Inner Sphere worlds, since those will get slowly explored anyway (and I think if the Irinai or Union were in that region, we'd have heard about it by now, what with us being the first polity with intelligent non-humans), but the other 270° are really in need of more surveying.

Hm… that might be a good new option, actually.
"Probing/Scouting Mission:​
The discovery of the alien robot Verdar on Ares tell us some things about what is still out there, but not enough. Let's take a look-see outside of our comfortable corner of space."​
This mission would send survey squadrons far outside of our claimed space. With the Hyperwave radio we can keep in contact with the mission, as long as they don't leave the 750ly reception range. Every 100ly the FTL comms delay would be only 9 hours, and even accounting for signal strength degradation, it would still be enough for text messages about the most important discoveries long before the survey squadrons return home.
These missions would be the informational equivalent to stabs in the dark. We'd have only low odds of discovering small or single system polities, but decent odds for any large polity that spans a light century and thus represent a sizeable opportunity/market/threat. We should head off stumbling over the metaphorical bear in the cave this way.

On an unrelated note, does Verdar get compensation for the patents and discoveries the WCDC researchers derived from his body? I would think so, and given his position I basically assume he has a governmental stipend that pays for anything reasonable he desires, but still. Might be useful to put some percentage of the profits that derived from him in escrow while he finds his feet in our society, and maybe to pay for any mission home he desires to pursue. I mean, I expect Prometheus to be all aboard paying for it regardless, he seems to be the kind of guy who would do that, as would presumably a handful of other people, but it's still better to enable him to choose his options rather than having to rely on others for these pursuits.

I'd like to note that no matter what, any scouting mission that just 'goes that way' for a few thousand lightyears won't find anything.

To qoute Douglas Adams:

'Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.'

As for Verder, he got the patents from his body and almost immediately put them into the public domain, because, qoute, 'It's wrong to make a profit of something that is common knowlede back home'. And he does currently get a stipend from the Prometheus Foundation with the option to join it as a member. Adam is like that.

Expect to see more InfoLife running around in Synth bodies in the future.

Warringer upping ranges? He is upping them to Sourcebook Extended ranges that were used for AEwaB...aka around 8000km max for longest ranged Naval weapons. BT's NPPC's and NL's dissipate into nothing after passing that range.
Now add Fusion torch drives from BT to our ships and we would fly circles around the SLN while shooting from a distance of half a light second or more.

Important!

Do not expect or play to keep the BT Status Quo!
BT ground and aerospace combat ranges are going to be more realistic, by increasing ranges by six times compared to normal rules.
BT rules an an abstraction, they will only be used then applicable.
Yeah lets not make assumption please. If our weapons can hit at realistic ranges then so can theirs if perhaps with less accuracy because of computer and turret tracking inefficiencies. And their fusion drives are not that much better than ours but that is actually a area we really need to drop a research action into.

@Schreiben Yeah there are subtle hints of the Irinai about but we know next to nothing i am just assuming worst case because that's about what we will face if they are who i think they are. The clans? Until get evidence otherwise are the clans from canon save now being trolled into trying to become better how that goes we shall see and yes they have warships. They just suck at them because they rarely actually use them being to expensive to risk damaging or losing and their mechwarrior gladiator dueling focus clashes very badly with navel anything. Star League doctrine was a onion layer with fighters/dropships/warship with lighter assets handling point defense and small targets. Clan doctrine is each unit fights a duel. Yes even warships. Most clans suck but if we see Snow Ravens then we need to be careful because they are the navel clan and actually good at it with bloodlines breed to fight and command warships. If lucky they will get jumped first and die screaming taking many hell hamsters with them. The clans cannot be trusted and always fuck shit up. Best they die early before things get crazy and glory seeking fools start pulling go big or die maneuvers.

The IS is tricky because at this point the FedCom has won. The rest is details and mopping up. Barring some extreme interupt they will kill the Dragon in next ten years a sa major power and Free worlds will need to roll over or be next not helped by bleeding strength in a grinding civil war. The star league will be reborn a new and we will need to careful maneuver ourselves around that. Fortunately current leaders are actually sane and we are not worth the pain to subdue unless we force them to.

As for Union and Irinai we shall see when we see but yeah i would like to send survey expeditions on sweeping basic search patterns out into the black. Like Warringer said we probable wont find anything specifically but we can be getting basic survey data of what there and might find systems worth colonizing or at least exploiting. If nothing else we will have hard data on the system we visit which can be useful for many things. I know at least to our north west is the Hanistic league which are a decent sized trade league who are also xenophobic assholes. At some point need to check and see if they are there.

Good for Verder. Hopefully he adapts well to us. Though might want to keep a eye on him for a while in case of surprises or something. More info morph synths well be great as well.

Yeah lets not make assumption please. If our weapons can hit at realistic ranges then so can theirs if perhaps with less accuracy because of computer and turret tracking inefficiencies. And their fusion drives are not that much better than ours but that is actually a area we really need to drop a research action into.
Space Ranges, as they are, are in the hundreds of thousands of kilometers, even for BT warships. All else is abstraction.

[X] Improved System Defense & Forward Operation Base:
While the Raytan Jump Point Defense Stations do their job for system defense, there are ideas how to improve on the system, giving it FTL capabilities, so that they can be emplaced in systems without existing interplanetary infrastructure. Additionally, such a station could potentially act as a mobile Forward Operation Base for offensive operations. Together with the Caldran Ansible, it would also allow the operations command and staff to remain protected bhind the potential front lines. Potentially, such a design might be equipped with the new Jump Drive.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 45%, Reward: New FTL cpable Defensive Station

[X] DSSIN Survey Squadron:
PErhaps it would be a good idea to put some dedicated survey squadron under the command of the DSSINOO to help them with some survey work in the area surroiunding FOB Pine Gap
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: 1d4 Survey squadrons for the DSSINOO, +1d6 on DSSINOO survey operations

[X] Build the Technology:
With mechs been taken apart, it might be a possibility that parts for them could be replicated and sold on the open market in the future. Especially Myomer bundles are interesting in thie regard, though WCDC technology allows to make motive materials that are more compact compared to IS Myomer.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Ability to build IS mech components, Options to upgrade IS Mech components, Possibility to sell Mech components

[X] Mining Town:
With the possibility of future construction of jump ships in large amounts, the situation with germanium might become problematic and more sources have to be found within the systems of the WCDC and mines constructed to exploit any finds.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 55%, Reward: Germanium Mines

[X] HFEG Jump:
In the wake of the success with the Jump Drive and the HFEG working in parallel, there have been some signs that it might be possible to combine both systems into a single drive system.
Time: 12 turns, Chance of success: 25%, Reward: HF Jump Drive

[X] Hyperwave Reflection Research:
During the work on the Superlimunal Wave Detector, there were apparently some reflections happening of hyperwaves in some form or another. Research should be done into what caused these reflections.
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: ?

[X] Improved System Defense & Forward Operation Base

[X] DSSIN Survey Squadron

[X] Build the Technology

[X] Mining Town

[X] HFEG Jump

[X] Hyperwave Reflection Research

I think I'm going to introduce a new WCDC Internal Events section, to deal with a few thing happening, well... in the WCDC.

And some auxiliary dice rolls for various events, to used on every turn in an action.

The 'Freaking Comstar' roll for any action where the WCDC openly acts in the Inner Sphere, with a 10% chance of happening and a 25% chance of succeeding.

And the 'Hanse Davion Fudge Factor' aka 'The Bloody Fox Is Pulling A Fast One' roll for actions involving the Lyrans and by extension the Feddies, due to future FedCom. With a chance of 25% and a 50% success rate...

Which makes sense because the WCDC is made up of several races and a more than a hundred nations. We should be seeing more politics then apparnt complete unification with no bumps in the road. And comstar will keep fucking with us and and once Hanse gets brief about us and our capabilities yeah we are going to new a new priority because we are either a great problem or a great boon.

So... Baring bad dice we are probable looking at a colony wave soon. How will that be handled? Individual nation bid or start colonies or a single joint WCDC colony pulling from all nations with willing immigrants? Should be interesing because we should enter what should be a golden age of prosperity and growth as we settle new worlds and trade allows for insane growth as resources flow in and out.

So... Baring bad dice we are probable looking at a colony wave soon. How will that be handled? Individual nation bid or start colonies or a single joint WCDC colony pulling from all nations with willing immigrants? Should be interesing because we should enter what should be a golden age of prosperity and growth as we settle new worlds and trade allows for insane growth as resources flow in and out.
And because we have FTL comms more advanced than the League had and an actual interstellar internet, there will be nearly zero cultural and political drift of the new settlements with the core worlds. Nipping the entire "Space Neo-Feudal Age Forever" of the setting into the bud before it even got going with us.

And because we have FTL comms more advanced than the League had and an actual interstellar internet, there will be nearly zero cultural and political drift of the new settlements with the core worlds. Nipping the entire "Space Neo-Feudal Age Forever" of the setting into the bud before it even got going with us.
That was bullshit itself anyway but yeah. As colonies form and grow and ties becoming closer nation blurs until there is only the WCDC. We are going to so confuse the IS with not getting on the noblility train. For them democracy on any but the smallest level fail yet here we are doing just fine. It might lead to unrest as discontent people wonder why...

That was bullshit itself anyway but yeah. As colonies form and grow and ties becoming closer nation blurs until there is only the WCDC. We are going to so confuse the IS with not getting on the noblility train. For them democracy on any but the smallest level fail yet here we are doing just fine. It might lead to unrest as discontent people wonder why...
Please go on with this train of thought I find it fascinating.
*starts sharpening the guillotine*

Please go on with this train of thought I find it fascinating.
*starts sharpening the guillotine*
HAHAHA.... Maybe. They have near a thousand years of evidence that nobility works and yet fucks up and then comes us where we by and large democracies and republics with one race having a emperor who also confirmably reincarnates so yeah. We are a exception that is really weird and their sociologists are really going to want to study us all because we break all modals yet thrive. Fun thing is there are a lot of disgruntled folk who will look at us and the relative peace and prosperity we have and want the same. The Steiner-Davions might take power just in time to see it eroded away over the next several generations.

Oh, there will be cultural differences. There will always be cultural differences. Its only that between several different species, including AIs, that make up the WCDC, it will not be dividing, but bringing people together. The focus will not be what makes us different, but on the things we all have in common. And democracy? In many places there is already an e-democracy with people taking part in it, though that is mostly in highly educated and highly connected societies, like the belters and various other space borne nations. Not in all of them though...

I think I'm going to introduce a new WCDC Internal Events section, to deal with a few thing happening, well... in the WCDC.

And some auxiliary dice rolls for various events, to used on every turn in an action.

The 'Freaking Comstar' roll for any action where the WCDC openly acts in the Inner Sphere, with a 10% chance of happening and a 25% chance of succeeding.

And the 'Hanse Davion Fudge Factor' aka 'The Bloody Fox Is Pulling A Fast One' roll for actions involving the Lyrans and by extension the Feddies, due to future FedCom. With a chance of 25% and a 50% success rate...

Good.

Comstar has gone too long doing all manner of overt shit with seemingly little to no backlash culminating to blatantly leaking info to both sides of Andurien conflict and trying to cut off diplomatic contact between a Great House and WCDC.

Good.

Comstar has gone too long doing all manner of overt shit with seemingly little to no backlash culminating to blatantly leaking info to both sides of Andurien conflict and trying to cut off diplomatic contact between a Great House and WCDC.
You misunderstand. That is only for stuff Comstar pulls when it comes to us.

HAHAHA.... Maybe. They have near a thousand years of evidence that nobility works and yet fucks up and then comes us where we by and large democracies and republics with one race having a emperor who also confirmably reincarnates so yeah. We are a exception that is really weird and their sociologists are really going to want to study us all because we break all modals yet thrive. Fun thing is there are a lot of disgruntled folk who will look at us and the relative peace and prosperity we have and want the same. The Steiner-Davions might take power just in time to see it eroded away over the next several generations.
No. The Jerat Emperor is the exception proving the rule. He is the proof that the only long term viable type of monarchism is Plato's 'Legendary Immortal Philosopher God-King' type of non-feudal monarchism by a single immortal ruler who squashes any other hereditary ruler organization from springing up underneath him like in normal Human monarchism.

Because originally, Europe in the Dark Ages was monarchs who had to delegate stuff, thanks to the slowness of command and control, to temporary local rulers that were answerable only to the ruler until it became a hereditary thing. Such a thing is UNHEARD of on Jerat: Having local hereditary vassals with an actual power base of their own and so on.

Which will baffle IS sociologists and putting their world on its head while making Inner Sphere non-house lord small fry barons, dukes, and lords extremely nervous about the big shots realizing like Louis the XIV that HEY! I DO NOT FUCKING NEED THOSE FUCKERS! the moment they create true national armies and navies loyal only to the House Lord.

Which is also the perfect natural way towards French-styled revolution down the road once the descendant who will be not up to Melissas' and Hanses' standard comes along to rule. A man like Caleb Davion, who makes Joffrey Lannister look cuddly in comparison, and these national armies realizes that they are more loyal to the IDEA of their nation and not the personification of it.

Witness, the Rebirth of Nationalism, with all its glory and all its horror.

Yeah we are seeing the beginning of it already with that Logan lady a few turns back trying to micro manage her nobles and they pushed back hard. Which might yet turn into a bit of a civil war if she does try to replace nobles for the heinous crime of not bowing to her every whim. Things are going to get interesting as better coms make many noble postions less and less necessary and harder for them to get away with crap without getting caught. And each time like you say a bad noble causes problems its another nail in idea they are a good idea at all.

Back
Top Bottom